Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
in conclusion if you play skullgirls youre a fascist pervert. i dont make the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

Al! posted:

there are also like 6 other characters in skullgirls that are panty characters, including the one with nazi imagry

and you love it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
no arguing on our holy day

festivities begin in 90 minutes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

That's fun. Showing up to war 600 light-years away and there's some human dude who beat me there on a ship that gets around relativity speaking a newfangled variation of English that I don't understand trying to talk my medieval rear end out of shooting the aliens.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

there are also like 6 other characters in skullgirls that are panty characters, including the one with nazi imagry

Panzer panties

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

pantiewaffen

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
Baldurs Gate 3 gonna be released almost a month early Aug 3 hoo boy

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

smarxist posted:

i think i want to play skyrim again, but i'm not sure if i just want to install a bunch of mods and think about playing or actually play

in early 2021 I spent a week modding Fallout New Vegas to absolute perfection

then a botched windows update forced me to format everything, I hadn't even reached Novac, haven't touched the game since

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Al! posted:

nobody is madder at video games than these guys

It sucks because it is probably actually true that if you're going to spend $200 million you'll probably get a much better return from a AAA video game than a dogshit blockbuster superhero movie, so you're going to get finance people naturally

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Cardamommy Issues posted:

cautiously stoked

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Starship Troopers games minus the satire seems like its just an endorsement of fascism???

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Al! posted:

in conclusion if you play skullgirls youre a fascist pervert. i dont make the rules
even SonicFox???

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starship Troopers games minus the satire seems like its just an endorsement of fascism???

not if they let you play as the bugs

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Good news for a change https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1674285134374404096

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

good, the market needs more of that. i demand representation

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/rpgfancom/status/1674114100945641490

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Basically just Ender's Game

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

PostNouveau posted:

That's fun. Showing up to war 600 light-years away and there's some human dude who beat me there on a ship that gets around relativity speaking a newfangled variation of English that I don't understand trying to talk my medieval rear end out of shooting the aliens.

The Forever War is the book I was thinking of, it's got a lot of this. It's dated but good imo

Theres also some of this kinda thing as gags in Hitchhikers Guide

If we ever do get to colonise space I bet a space war would be really hard to ever stop because of this sort of thing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

yeah that’s the forever war, which is maybe my favorite scifi novel ever and extremely good + similar to ST in many ways vis-a-vis military scifi, only Haldeman is pretty left wing and thus a much better writer and creator

I’m actually reading The Forever Peace right now, which I’d never read despite being such a Haldeman fan, and it’s really, really good. he wrote it in 1995, 20 years after the forever war, as a sort of inversion - instead of longue duree history of the forever war it’s grounded in a specific time, it’s about a version of the US that has turned into a post scarcity social democratic state but is still engaged in ruthless imperialism abroad as part of a coalition of countries in the first world. it’s easily one of the most interesting and prescient books I’ve read in a long time and I’d really recommend it for anyone interested in science fiction with emancipatory themes and fairly sophisticated politics

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean it doesn’t have to be, there’s no reason a straight adaptation featuring the missions described in the book couldn’t be tonally adjusted to satirize Heinlein’s fascist state, especially if like in NS2 the bugs are a controllable faction and maybe the other aliens from the book are present. mostly I think the bugs as they are in the book - with worker castes they use for diversions, warriors with guns, brains and queens - could have some fun mechanics and the combat parts with the absurdly destructive power armor would be a very different kind of game

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I think I saw you posting about forever peace earlier and it's on my radar now

tFW was probably my fav of the classic scifi books I read on a big kick a while back, I'm due another

loved anything by the strugatskys too, doomed city and hard to be a god would make great games too

Hard to be a God is really elevated by the letters they wrote to eachother about how ti's just gonna be a light-hearted adventure
I love that obviously once communism unlocks the power of humanity that also applies to martial arts so the Protag is invincible in combat vs any normal person because he knows communist space kungfu and they think he's the devil

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

*thinking hard*
Hard to be a god is communism isekai

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

strugatsky and the Noon series are both on my list big time for being earnest explorations of what interstellar communism might actually feel like, probably something close to apotheosis

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

think i spotted my first grab

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

should my next game after Zelda be Chained Echoes, or should I try running FFIX with its HD mod

I'm nowhere close to finishing Zelda, I just thought I'd ask now because both of those games are on the Steam sale

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

cautiously stoked

zero caution, full stokage. no way I'll get burned over an anticipated video game

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I get knocked down
but I get stoked again
you're never gonna bum me out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cardamommy Issues posted:

I hope its good cause I'm definitely gonna play it with all my pals but if its bad you heard it here first.

I've been getting "hiding what a mess it is" vibes from the game's development for a couple years now, but that's also indistinguishable from just hiding it cause its good and worth hiding. Some studios do that too.

Act1 is super in depth but they haven't shown anything beyond that
Fromsoft does that too, mind you, they always show the early generic stuff and save the crazy poo poo for a surprise

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Jun 29, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So many studios have disappointed me before
please be good, Larian

moving a release date up for once is a big loving flex if nothing else

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

I hope its good cause I'm definitely gonna play it with all my pals but if its bad you heard it here first.

I've been getting "hiding what a mess it is" vibes from the game's development for a couple years now, but that's also indistinguishable from just hiding it cause its good and worth hiding. Some studios do that too.

Act1 is super in depth but they haven't shown anything beyond that
Fromsoft does that too, mind you, they always show the early generic stuff and save the crazy poo poo for a surprise

that how they did dos2, isn't it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i should finish my game of BG2... i actually played all of BG1 (and enjoyed the hell out of it) but had my fill of infinity engine when I rolled into BG2

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

that how they did dos2, isn't it

no idea. if theyve done it that way before, good

dos2 was a fun time with friends, especially the surprise pvp bits. there was a lot of rivalry about builds leading up to that stuff so it was fun when it happened

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a his dark materials game but only focused on the wheeled elephants. maybe some kind of diddy kong racing thing

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

oh hell yeah, Dark Souls PC is finally on sale again

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Did they revert the dumb rear end steam ui overhaul? Buttons aren't jumping at me

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

a his dark materials game but only focused on the wheeled elephants. maybe some kind of diddy kong racing thing

I’ll start the Starfield NexusMods page

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
eh, none of my wishlist games are really on sale besides Pizza Tower which i'll get. i was hoping for a Last Epoch sale or My Summer Car or something. terra nil is too expensive still for what it is. guess im ight pickup either Potionomics or Potion permits since it looks fun

Anyone played Raft or Alwa's Legacy?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yeah, not a lot going on with my wishlist this year either, unfortunately

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

really disappointed the megaman battle network collection isn't discounted at all wtf capcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i must be lucky cause my wishlist is full of deals