Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ehud posted:

All we know so far:

- Everyone starts at level 1 again.

- 2 levels of renown carry over.

- All altars of Lilith carry over.

- Map progress carries over.

- Free battle pass will have some milestones (think stuff like XP bonuses) that help with progression.

The stream coming up should talk more about the actual content planned for season 1. They said before launch that season 1 and season 2 were already done and that they're working on season 3. I hope that means the seasonal content is pretty extensive and they felt the need to create a buffer for themselves before the game launched.

I feel like once you tag all of the altars you should never have to do it again. Fun to explore the first time but will get old fast having to pick them all up for renown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like once you tag all of the altars you should never have to do it again. Fun to explore the first time but will get old fast having to pick them all up for renown.

You don’t. They specifically carry over.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The season one content has to be pretty expansive or d4 will end up having the diablo 3 life cycle

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Psyker posted:

You don’t. They specifically carry over.

I thought I read the bonuses carry over but you'll still need to tag them for renown, but I'm happy to be proven wrong if that's not the case.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I thought I read the bonuses carry over but you'll still need to tag them for renown, but I'm happy to be proven wrong if that's not the case.

That's how it is now, but by season 1 altars and fog of war progress will be shared across all seasonal/eternal characters, including the renown you get from it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Are the necromancer's cult leader paragon nodes still broken?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope they do something wacky and cool with season 1, but part of me feels like it’s mostly just gonna be all the stuff they had planned for launch but didn’t have ready yet. I feel like it’s just gonna be a few small QOL changes, a bunch of new items and maybe some dumb gimmick. Hope I’m wrong but I guess we’ll see next week.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It’s also just fun to make alts and new seasons are an excuse to do it and also play with some new mechanics or gimmicks at the same time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think the size of the player base who simultaneously...

1) are too casual to want to level up another char

2) are hardcore enough to keep coming back for seasonal content

3) are unfamiliar with how ARPG seasons traditionally work and are shocked that they have to start over each season

...is much smaller than the articles with titles like, "Players are FURIOUS about Diablo4 seasons!!" would suggest.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You don't have to do them again. You start at 2/5 renown, so you can easily get 5/5 renown with dungeons, sidequests, strongholds. The renown you would get from map/altars is baked into the 2/5 renown you start with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ehud posted:

I think the size of the player base who simultaneously...

1) are too casual to want to level up another char

2) are hardcore enough to keep coming back for seasonal content

3) are unfamiliar with how ARPG seasons traditionally work and are shocked that they have to start over each season

...is much smaller than the articles with titles like, "Players are FURIOUS about Diablo4 seasons!!" would suggest.

what's Whoopi's take on this

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pro seasonal arpg tip: spin the class wheel to decide what to main that season. Don't like that class? Spin again!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think they should just iterate on the renown stuff and put new things in it every season

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
People are gonna feel bad that they need to reroll for a season that "just" came out after they gradually worked their way through a frankly massive game.

It'll feel better from Season 2 onward since everybody will get their one and done on campaign in, get used to things if they stick around and have 3 months to get ready for S2+, as well as being aware of the battle pass(free track) bonuses to leveling. It'll get even better when Blizzard relents by S2 and makes 5 levels of renown carry over.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mustached Demon posted:

Pro seasonal arpg tip: spin the class wheel to decide what to main that season. Don't like that class? Spin again!

It's weird. Before release my wheel only had "Druid".

I took a look and now for Season 1 it only says "Barbarian"

It's a very strange wheel.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Good Citizen posted:

what's Whoopi's take on this

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ice Fist posted:

It's weird. Before release my wheel only had "Druid".

I took a look and now for Season 1 it only says "Barbarian"

It's a very strange wheel.

The Wheel understands what your heart desires.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pretty sure it's Whoopi camping the altars in the fields of hatred and killing me with a thorns barb build.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Ashamed to say it took me until level 60 or so to realize ice shards doesn't actually apply chill. I'm now using ice shards and frost bolt as my enchantments. I dropped blizzard for teleport, blizzard is pretty anemic compared to just more ice shards. I only really ever run out of mana against weak single targets. My lucky hit chance is just over 50%, plus another 15% when I have a barrier active which is almost all the time then add the native 18% on ice shards on top of that for 83%. Combine that with the frigid breeze skill which is a lucky hit has a 20% chance to restore 15 mana, avalanche and it's aspect that gives an extra free cast and a bit of mana cost reduction and I can spam ice shards all day against bosses or packs of enemies. I actually picked up mana shield for some more damage reduction because especially with the accelerating aspect on my amulet and some attack speed on my gear I'm constantly blowing through 100 mana so it's almost always up. Even before that with just my barriers I could face tank bosses and burn them down in T3. Might be time to try to get to T4 soon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That's how it is now, but by season 1 altars and fog of war progress will be shared across all seasonal/eternal characters, including the renown you get from it.

Ehud posted:

You don't have to do them again. You start at 2/5 renown, so you can easily get 5/5 renown with dungeons, sidequests, strongholds. The renown you would get from map/altars is baked into the 2/5 renown you start with.

Nice, glad to hear it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wonder if they'll just gave full map sight to everyone because I don't have the map fully uncovered on any single character. I did all the renown stuff between 3 of them...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thread background, please.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Ashamed to say it took me until level 60 or so to realize ice shards doesn't actually apply chill. I'm now using ice shards and frost bolt as my enchantments. I dropped blizzard for teleport, blizzard is pretty anemic compared to just more ice shards. I only really ever run out of mana against weak single targets. My lucky hit chance is just over 50%, plus another 15% when I have a barrier active which is almost all the time then add the native 18% on ice shards on top of that for 83%. Combine that with the frigid breeze skill which is a lucky hit has a 20% chance to restore 15 mana, avalanche and it's aspect that gives an extra free cast and a bit of mana cost reduction and I can spam ice shards all day against bosses or packs of enemies. I actually picked up mana shield for some more damage reduction because especially with the accelerating aspect on my amulet and some attack speed on my gear I'm constantly blowing through 100 mana so it's almost always up. Even before that with just my barriers I could face tank bosses and burn them down in T3. Might be time to try to get to T4 soon.

That is not how Lucky Hit works - mouse our your frost shards icon to see your Lucky Hit chance update in real time.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

gently caress off

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what happened to item sets?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

WarpedLichen posted:

That is not how Lucky Hit works - mouse our your frost shards icon to see your Lucky Hit chance update in real time.

Oh I get what you're saying I think. It's that percent more of the native chance. Still the build works. I almost never run out of mana.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ex post facho posted:

one of the devs said they were taking more time to figure out how'd they work or something but eventually they'll get put in

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ex post facho posted:

Being drip fed out by seasons to sell more Battle Passes

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Got a notification saying the Blizzard Authenticator is moving to the Battle.net app. Ok fine, cool.

I download the Battle.net app and uninstall the authenticator only to find out I need the original authenticator to authenticate the Battle.net app to be used as authenticator. So I had to use an authenticator to authenticate my authenticator. Cool user experience. A++.

Hard to believe this is this technically the same company that made online multiplayer so seamless and user friendly it singlehandedly turned me into a gamer but I guess time changes us all.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Got a notification saying the Blizzard Authenticator is moving to the Battle.net app. Ok fine, cool.

I download the Battle.net app and uninstall the authenticator only to find out I need the original authenticator to authenticate the Battle.net app to be used as authenticator. So I had to use an authenticator to authenticate my authenticator. Cool user experience. A++.

Hard to believe this is this technically the same company that made online multiplayer so seamless and user friendly it singlehandedly turned me into a gamer but I guess time changes us all.

Yeah, it's stupid. Email Blizzard, they are usually pretty quick to unlink old authentificator in such cases.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Away all Goats posted:

it singlehandedly turned me into a gamer

so sorry to hear that :sympathy:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
my necro is lvl 69

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

my necro is lvl 69

I see you hit max level.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Soonmot posted:

my necro is lvl 69

This guy spears things with his bone.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
How would you “fix” seasonal stuff for casuals? All I can think is a Destiny 2 style system which has its own major faults. They lock you to 3 characters (basically one of each class of if you wanna be that guy just 2 alts of the same thing) and the journey does not matter at all since they have to vault and reshuffle old content around because it straight up does not matter anymore. Not to mention the whole goofy power level stuff where you hit max level but then gear level basically becomes your new level.

This creates a system where you log on once a week, do your daily/weekly stuff you do that for a couple weeks when the season drip finally runs out you say cool see you next expansion where all this stuff gets punted and new thing comes in which is mostly just old thing but with new voice lines and maybe a new comic book cutscene.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know it's really a problem that needs fixing? A casual player can still do whatever the S1 content is, just a few months behind once it's merged into Eternal

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is anyone still playing Destiny 2 casual

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A lot of season pass design doesn't keep the ideas past the season. Here's hoping Blizzard uses a good design that doesn't exploit FOMOhahahahahahahahahahaha.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Tokubetsu posted:

How would you “fix” seasonal stuff for casuals? All I can think is a Destiny 2 style system which has its own major faults. They lock you to 3 characters (basically one of each class of if you wanna be that guy just 2 alts of the same thing) and the journey does not matter at all since they have to vault and reshuffle old content around because it straight up does not matter anymore. Not to mention the whole goofy power level stuff where you hit max level but then gear level basically becomes your new level.

This creates a system where you log on once a week, do your daily/weekly stuff you do that for a couple weeks when the season drip finally runs out you say cool see you next expansion where all this stuff gets punted and new thing comes in which is mostly just old thing but with new voice lines and maybe a new comic book cutscene.

If it's a game about power progression there will be a reset of some kind. In WoW ilvl becomes your new level so every patch you start the ilvl grind again. In Classic WoW there's nothing to do once you hit max level except for raid logging so you log in once or twice a week and that's that until the next patch brings in new items(ilvl) to grind. Like others have said, some casuals will come around to seasons after trying it themselves. Others will quit and never come back, but there's an extremely high chance those super duper casuals weren't going to stick around anyway. And others still will continue happily playing their characters in the eternal realm and maybe mess around with seasons every now and then.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Oh I get what you're saying I think. It's that percent more of the native chance. Still the build works. I almost never run out of mana.

Yeah, I'm thinking for frost shards each shard has a chance to proc, so effectively your lucky hit for one burst of 5 is close to 100% - it definitely feels really good to be blasting and getting mana back.