Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

shyduck posted:

Other musings:

- Went back to a girdle (Tackla) after a few years in pro stock pants. Immediate improvement, I wore a girdle for over a decade and don't really remember why I switched in the first place

- A teammate of mine dropped over $300 on a pair of True pro stock sticks from Pro Stock Hockey, and they both snapped after maybe 10 skates

- Another one of my teammates constantly shows up to games over a period late and we don't know how to get him to stop short of kicking him off. It doesn't matter when the game is either and it's getting tiresome. We also suspect he has a substance abuse problem and he's related to another teammate, so that just adds to things. Nice guy, but man

- My 3 y/o daughter is learning to ice skate and she can take steps unassisted now :3:

I've been thinking about doing a girdle but haven't bit the bullet yet. Love my prostock pants, a ton of protection.

I wish my daughter would try skating again, she fell during a learn to skate and refused to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am addicted to the true catalyst 9x pro stock gloves cuz they look like gauntlets and I feel like I have to buy extras in case they stop making them that way :negative:

shyduck posted:

- My 3 y/o daughter is learning to ice skate and she can take steps unassisted now :3:
:3:

xzzy posted:

Shaving 150 grams off my helmet is what I've been waiting for to elevate my game.

It balances out the weight of the extra beer

:eyepop: I'll def give this is a try if it doesn't fit in my current one

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is super dumb and a super dick thing to say. I assume you don't have his medical record on hand, so if he wants to wear a mask, let him wear a mask.

e: And before you correct me to respirator from mask, this is a respirator commonly used for COVID:
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/3m-n95-particulate-respirator-usa-8210.html

Hardly larger than a standard mask, so I doubt any face smashing will be happening. Stop being a dick.

back off the squat rack bro and give it another read

If wants to wear a mask wear a mask, engineering hooks and other poo poo onto protective things around your face is dangerous and dumb and gets more dangerous in some sort of unpredictable collision

Like chemmy said, just change the mask if you want to wear a mask.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have two wargates and theyre hideous but helpful. Got the second one because moving from helmet to helmet was a pain in the rear end. Shield + wargate is infinitely better than a full cage or bubble, and I’ve taken several incidental sticks and one tipped shot to the cage. A++ would ‘cage again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sellouts posted:

back off the squat rack bro and give it another read

If wants to wear a mask wear a mask, engineering hooks and other poo poo onto protective things around your face is dangerous and dumb and gets more dangerous in some sort of unpredictable collision

Like chemmy said, just change the mask if you want to wear a mask.

There are slightly different J-clips that people have used elsewhere on reddit if certain cages/hybrids didn't sit right due to the thickness of the plastic j-clips, so I was maybe going to use those or just use the already built-in extra holes to reposition. In any case, wargate might be the best option for my use case anyway

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I have two wargates and theyre hideous but helpful. Got the second one because moving from helmet to helmet was a pain in the rear end. Shield + wargate is infinitely better than a full cage or bubble, and I’ve taken several incidental sticks and one tipped shot to the cage. A++ would ‘cage again.

Good to hear. One thing I was wondering though was if the wargate chin strap actually attaches to the cage or if it's just an extra strap on the helmet. I can't tell from the pictures and the product pictures don't even include the strap but the instructions mention it so I assume it's included?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do whatever you want to do for whatever reason you want, man

Engineering yourself using third party steel hooks as you originally said around your face in an unpredictable contact sport sounds like you’re creating a contraption and is a generally bad idea imo vs just wearing a mask and popping behind the bench to change it as needed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

Shaving 150 grams off my helmet is what I've been waiting for to elevate my game.

It's like I've been training with a DBZ weight on my head. Now I can not shoulder check twice as fast

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
For mask in your cage stuff CCM made these things when hockey first started coming back https://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-ho...CoaAvnfEALw_wcB

Not sure of the effectiveness as one of their bullet points says this Added protective barrier that also increases the protection from contamination of those around them
and two bullet points down says this This product does not eliminate the risk of inbound or outbound contagion

But it is a mask specifically made to go inside your cage.

E: I have not worn one so I can't give any anecdotal knowledge but I just remember youth hockey made masks mandatory I think and CCM came up with this as an alternative to the regular blue disposable mask.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

using third party steel hooks as you originally said around your face

Also a if you get a ref that cares about safety, they will kick you off the ice for it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bigbillystyle posted:

For mask in your cage stuff CCM made these things when hockey first started coming back https://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-ho...CoaAvnfEALw_wcB

Not sure of the effectiveness as one of their bullet points says this Added protective barrier that also increases the protection from contamination of those around them
and two bullet points down says this This product does not eliminate the risk of inbound or outbound contagion

E: I have not worn one so I can't give any anecdotal knowledge but I just remember youth hockey made masks mandatory I think and CCM came up with this as an alternative to the regular blue disposable mask.

Back in January 2022 they implemented an indoor mask again and I wore that. Actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was a tad hot so I'm sure during the summer it's bad. One guy on a team I play with wears a n95 and cage the entire game. Don't think he ever changed it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

Also a if you get a ref that cares about safety, they will kick you off the ice for it.

We don’t go looking for it, but I routinely make sure people have their helmets fastened correctly during normal play and you will be going for a change if it can’t be immediately corrected. I’d rather you miss a shift instead of taking on the risk of you getting CTE. It’s very obvious when a helmet isn’t fit properly or buckled. Have a guy with a Reebok helmet, but we don’t require certifications on adult players. I regularly give him a hard time about it being time to upgrade before he gets hurt. It is an approved helmet design though.

You don’t want to wear proper chest and shoulder pads there’s not much I can do (except youth), but I will chirp you for wearing gear as old as the person wearing it.

The half visor/half cage thing that people are wearing these days will probably work the best for a mask. Limited fogging supposedly, and there’s not a chin rest on it that would move the mask. I’ve played in my visor only helmet once on a day I had back to back games and it was very comfortable but unnerving because I like my teeth. Just couldn’t fit all the gear into the bag for both uniforms.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The first thing I did was peel the expiration date sticker off my helmet when I bought it lol

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Don't ask me about my 2011 expired goalie helmet and especially not about any concussions I may have from hits to the head in the last 2 years while wearing it!

Unrelated but I'm wearing a decades-old chest protector and on Tuesday took a shot to my catching shoulder that just missed/ignored all padding and left immeasurable soreness and probably in a few more days a wicked bruise, which I will cherish. So in true beer league fashion, I played net again tonight and my glove hand was unbeatable.

Here's a low quality LiveBarn vid of a dude making a perfect tip and being owned by this new superpower. Get Rookie of the Yeared, idiot.

https://i.imgur.com/SyjH1Nw.mp4

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

I used one of those, it seemed more like just a performative measure than actually doing the job of a mask, so if you’re just checking off a box for a league requirement it would work but if you’re actually looking for protection I’d probably try another option or pair it with a disposable mask underneath. Consider if as effective as the cloth masks everyone’s moms were making in 2020.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Pleads posted:

Don't ask me about my 2011 expired goalie helmet and especially not about any concussions I may have from hits to the head in the last 2 years while wearing it!

Unrelated but I'm wearing a decades-old chest protector and on Tuesday took a shot to my catching shoulder that just missed/ignored all padding and left immeasurable soreness and probably in a few more days a wicked bruise, which I will cherish. So in true beer league fashion, I played net again tonight and my glove hand was unbeatable.

Here's a low quality LiveBarn vid of a dude making a perfect tip and being owned by this new superpower. Get Rookie of the Yeared, idiot.

that was an amazing tip and a better glove. amazing!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pleads posted:

If that ref didn't compliment that save on the way by he's not paying attention. That was a wonderful save.

You should get a new helmet though. The new chesties are pretty awesome these days too, but much less important than a new helmet. Those are going to fit a lot better than a helmet you bought in probably 2005 or earlier. Be more comfortable too I expect.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

I used one of those, it seemed more like just a performative measure than actually doing the job of a mask, so if you’re just checking off a box for a league requirement it would work but if you’re actually looking for protection I’d probably try another option or pair it with a disposable mask underneath. Consider if as effective as the cloth masks everyone’s moms were making in 2020.

Yeah that is kind of what I figured, like if you are actually looking for the protection of a mask this probably not the thing but figured I'd toss it out there anyway. Maybe that dude who was looking for it can somehow modify a real mask to work with this idea. :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’m being inundated with Crazy Game of Hockey social media posts today, so I want to wish our resident goalie fun and a good enjoyable weekend with the event.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Jhet posted:

I’m being inundated with Crazy Game of Hockey social media posts today, so I want to wish our resident goalie fun and a good enjoyable weekend with the event.

Game was a blast! I came out and let in some brutal ones when I first came in. Thankfully we escaped my nerves leaving the 2nd period 8-8 and the 3rd went well. I ended up stopping breakaways from Haula and Darby and took the game to a shootout, after the 3rd ended it was 10-10. My entire stint in net was vs Stalock so that was cool.

Shootout they sent that "Coach Chippy" guy since he was scoring on me in the game, I stopped his. We had Barber come in and work his magic and score. Boldy got me 5 hole and then Vanek costed in waving his stick around jokingly then clapped top right corner. Jacob Bardown vs me for the win and he tried the Kucherov and I pinched the legs shut for the win.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

titanium posted:

Game was a blast! I came out and let in some brutal ones when I first came in. Thankfully we escaped my nerves leaving the 2nd period 8-8 and the 3rd went well. I ended up stopping breakaways from Haula and Darby and took the game to a shootout, after the 3rd ended it was 10-10. My entire stint in net was vs Stalock so that was cool.

Shootout they sent that "Coach Chippy" guy since he was scoring on me in the game, I stopped his. We had Barber come in and work his magic and score. Boldy got me 5 hole and then Vanek costed in waving his stick around jokingly then clapped top right corner. Jacob Bardown vs me for the win and he tried the Kucherov and I pinched the legs shut for the win.

I saw a bunch of those shootout replays and wasn’t sure who was in net. Those were some great stops. I’m glad it was a blast and it looked like a ton of fun. I kept getting shown clips for a day or so with the “you didn’t see this one yet, did you?” so it was fun getting to watch the parts that got posted. Barber is such a genius with those shootout moves too, they’re awesome. Very glad you had fun, and we had fun watching along.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Some guy at Rat cross-checked a player because he dared to be in the crease and the two got into it a little bit. Literally one shift later the cross-checker got his stick wedged between the boards and snapped. Instant karma.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

The rink I currently play out of has 2 sheets of ice and one of them has looked like the photo below for a couple of months now. Yeah that is dirt. Hockey this week got cancelled because of a giant hole in the ice on the second sheet. I don't know the details of the hole, how big, how bad, but things aren't looking good in Bridgewater, MA. I have seen other rinks have issues with a leak of somekind from the roof cause a hole in the ice surface that can usually be fixed pretty quickly but I don't have a lot of faith with this rink.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A few years ago one of our local rinks developed a roof leak around center ice. We played an entire game with an orange cone on the spot, which is the most Philly poo poo imaginable

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ha, the old rink I used to play at had the same thing happen once and we did the same thing. Only problem was instead of center ice it was like close to the boards in the zone like right where you'd want to pick up a breakout pass if you're a wing so the cone was like an extra defender always pinching in.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I have a newish pair of skates, probably have about 20 skates on them or so. They fit fine, but I feel like I'm not quite as confident on them?

I only say this because the other day I skated with my old pair, and they just felt better, like I felt more grounded. This was just a casual skate with my daughter after her skating lessons, so wasn't really pushing it or anything. But contrast to my new pair, and I just don't feel as surefooted. Losing edges unexpectedly despite being sharp. Catching edges.

They're both CCM Tacks, so same general fit. Both have stock profile. I don't know, it's probably all mental. I'm gonna play a game with my old pair I think

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

So I have a newish pair of skates, probably have about 20 skates on them or so. They fit fine, but I feel like I'm not quite as confident on them?

I only say this because the other day I skated with my old pair, and they just felt better, like I felt more grounded. This was just a casual skate with my daughter after her skating lessons, so wasn't really pushing it or anything. But contrast to my new pair, and I just don't feel as surefooted. Losing edges unexpectedly despite being sharp. Catching edges.

They're both CCM Tacks, so same general fit. Both have stock profile. I don't know, it's probably all mental. I'm gonna play a game with my old pair I think

Are you sure you didn’t just get a bad cut on the new skates? Or maybe they aren’t baked quite the way the old ones are worn in? It amazes me just how much some little things change how the skates feel on the ice to the point where I’m trying to get the same person to sharpen my skates when I go into the shop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also, skate brands change their fits and models year to year despite remaining the same "series". Bauer vapors for instance, are generally narrow fitting, but have changed slightly in how they feel from year to year or so as they revise the design. Generally a bake helps but its not always the case. Steel on new skates is also taller as new steel isnt ground down yet, doubly so if it has step steel or something of the like which is taller than stock steel. Skates you're used to are likely much shorter and closer to the ice. Footbeds change year to year as well. Its also surprising how lacing changes how your skates fit. The biggest noticeable factor will be the radius. Trying to match your previous radius is important. If your radius is different, the exact same skate wont even feel similar.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I have to miss a game on Sunday and it makes me very sad

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for the feedback. The new ones are baked, but yeah they still don't quite have that glove-like feel of my old ones.

The olds are Tacks (2014, top of the line) and the new (new-old stock) are 6092 (2016, one step down). The steel on the olds is actually taller than the new because I cracked a blade a year ago and replaced them with Massive Blade steel, which are taller than most stock options. (edit: that might actually be part of the issue come to think of it, because I can turn tighter with the taller steel)

Maybe a re-bake?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 13, 2023

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I had similar issues with new skates. Getting the steel profiled from no icing with the same profile makes any new pair of skates/steel feel like the old ones for me. Highly recommend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had to ask for a defenseman rocker on my player skates when I first got them because they were pitched forward too much. I think they were Bauer Vapors from like 2015. Or whatever the red box ones were.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
What up hockey thread. Played my second official rookie league game (ever) today and scored my first goal! Blind rebound that went through some legs.

4 v 4 league and we had 5 people show up + 1 sub. Tried to play the entire first 14min period and made it 12. Ended up in a tie even after sudden death. I’ll take it. I. Am. G a s s e d.

Hockey owns.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's hot and humid and the ice today was a big, sloppy mess :negative:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

935 goddamn dollars for our next 24-game season, holy hell.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

935 goddamn dollars for our next 24-game season, holy hell.

:psyduck:

Are you a team of only 5 skaters?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think Seattle kraken league is around 800, last time I played, for a 24 game winter league with a team of about 15 people on it. poo poo is not cheap in Seattle.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The most recent league I was in charged one price for the whole team, which ended up being around $280 per person. We'd usually have between 8 and 13 skaters show up for each game, which was pretty ideal. It was a 20-game season and you got at least 2 more games if you made the playoffs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same with kraken, it was a team total ($10k+ IIRC) but that's how it broke down with 13-15 skaters.

It is/was not fun to have to front that money and pay the league knowing the odds that someone will move or not pay. Eventually they were able to split it up by person and charge everybody individually for their portion of the team total. But at the end of the season the league would say "John, Jesus, and Frank" havent paid, we need the balance of 2400 before the end of the season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Verman posted:

I think Seattle kraken league is around 800, last time I played, for a 24 game winter league with a team of about 15 people on it. poo poo is not cheap in Seattle.

This is accurate. It was just under $450 for the summer season. Youth house programs are starting around $2k for the winter season and a lot more for rep/tier B-AAA hockey. Kraken league charges directly to the linked player account in the app now, so it’s easy to know who owes for what.

Thankfully, refereeing adult league games pays for my league fees pretty easily and I’ve made more than I’ve spent (but not by all that much). Only took around 7-8 games for the summer and I can do that in two weeks. But then I also just spent $400 on some new equipment anyway.

Hockey, it’s really expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Across the water in Bremerton you get 10 games for $500ish, they charge players individually instead of a team fee.