Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Got a notification saying the Blizzard Authenticator is moving to the Battle.net app. Ok fine, cool.

I download the Battle.net app and uninstall the authenticator only to find out I need the original authenticator to authenticate the Battle.net app to be used as authenticator. So I had to use an authenticator to authenticate my authenticator. Cool user experience. A++.

Hard to believe this is this technically the same company that made online multiplayer so seamless and user friendly it singlehandedly turned me into a gamer but I guess time changes us all.

Of course you need to authenticate yourself to change your account settings. Honestly how do you imagine it could work otherwise? Any random with your password could change your authenticator would completely defeat the entire point of having an authenticator in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is a Battlepass, anyway? is that something I buy to get ways to make playing a season more fun?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is a Battlepass, anyway? is that something I buy to get ways to make playing a season more fun?

Sorta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_pass

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hopefully by battlepass 10 or so I can unlock the spider-gwen skin and have an inflatable unicorn instead of a horse.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

kumba posted:

I don't know it's really a problem that needs fixing? A casual player can still do whatever the S1 content is, just a few months behind once it's merged into Eternal

That's kind of how it works in PoE. The hyper-casual people who don't want to play during leagues for whatever reason can have fun with their characters in standard (aka eternal realm in D4 terms). Although there are a lot of league mechanics that either don't go core, or only go core after the league is over, so they have to wait. If you want to play with the new shiny toys, you create a league character.

Honestly I get the complaints from people who haven't experienced leagues/seasons for themselves in arpg before, but if done well it's a lot of fun. And I'm the first person who is critical of doing things just because "that's how it's always been done." Really the biggest pain point is the renown grind, and I think that's something they'll have basically gotten rid of entirely by S2 or S3 at the latest.

It's an instrument of FOMO designed to get you logging in daily/weekly to get experience to unlock levels of it, which usually give you cosmetic rewards (that you can't get again once it ends). There's a f2p version (which does have boosts I think, but everyone can access it) as well as a paid, cosmetics-only premium version. Depending on how it's designed it will probably have you interacting with the season in various ways, at least.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Substandard posted:

I've been using your build, with some gear and aspect differences because I'm still leveling, but I love it and I'm absolutely mulching dudes in WT4 at lvl 63. If there are other bone spear necros out there, using umbral and/or exposed flesh aspects for essence regen feels a ton better than trying to corpse explode dozens of time. I don't even have umbral slotted right now because I only have 1 and I'm saving it for better ancestral gear and while I have to cast bone splinters sometimes, it still feels pretty good between essence on kill and exposed flesh.

Anyway, thanks soscannonballs for posting it. It's a real good build.

I have found 3 exposed flesh aspects with middling roles so far, so I guess that's lucky?

You can get a min roll Umbral via the codex, which is probably still worth it. I used a min roll for a long time before upgrading to my current roll, which is 2

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

You can get a min roll Umbral via the codex, which is probably still worth it. I used a min roll for a long time before upgrading to my current roll, which is 2

And then you can be like me where all the dropped umbrals are minroll so really what's the difference between the codex and the drops

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there a convenient way to see how good your roll is on aspects? Just finished the campaign so it's the first I've had to think about it.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is there a convenient way to see how good your roll is on aspects? Just finished the campaign so it's the first I've had to think about it.

Turn on advanced tooltips. Itlls show you the range next to the stat

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Substandard posted:

Hopefully by battlepass 10 or so I can unlock the spider-gwen skin and have an inflatable unicorn instead of a horse.

you joke but this is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to see in the game. give me flashy and memorable cosmetics

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
double swing does work sometimes

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
why emeralds in weapons for barb over sapphires? enemies are only sometimes vulnerable, at best, and are always crowd controlled (with one point in hamstring) they otherwise give the same 12% [x] damage bonus

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

harrygomm posted:

why emeralds in weapons for barb over sapphires? enemies are only sometimes vulnerable, at best, and are always crowd controlled (with one point in hamstring) they otherwise give the same 12% [x] damage bonus

The same reason you want vulnerable in basically every other place you can get it: it multiplies all other damage bonuses. Crowd control adds with most other damage bonuses and in late game you end up with a lot of those.

Edit: if you’re below level 60 or so do whatever you want.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tonetta posted:

What did you do to get the stun bar to max out so fast?

harrygomm posted:

enemies are only sometimes vulnerable
Speak for yourself

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

What did you do to get the stun bar to max out so fast?

I'm lucky hit stacking with multiple lucky hit = stun/cc procs. If I put on fists of fate, I can stun her in like 10-15 seconds lol. All forms of applied cc add to the stun bar.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tonetta posted:

Only used double swing a few times while leveling, mind linking a build?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Jaytan posted:

The same reason you want vulnerable in basically every other place you can get it: it multiplies all other damage bonuses. Crowd control adds with most other damage bonuses and in late game you end up with a lot of those.

But it's all crit strike damage so both emerald and sapphire bonuses are already in that bucket? Is there something OP and I aren't getting here?

e: for bosses you probably want emeralds, tbf

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 29, 2023

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Only used double swing a few times while leveling, mind linking a build?

I don't think there's a build guide out there for double swing and mine's all messed up for lilleth attempts, but I'll throw something together for u and post it later today

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

dyzzy posted:

But it's all crit strike damage so both emerald and sapphire bonuses are already in that bucket? Is there something OP and I aren't getting here?

e: for bosses you probably want emeralds, tbf

It's assumed you're hitting a vulnerable target more often than you're critting it. If you don't have vulnerable then yeah it makes no sense. But not having something that applies vulnerable makes even less sense.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Barbs can basically have 100% uptime on CC, not so much vuln but I could be missing something there. So from my pov, against things that aren't immune to slow you're giving up overall crit damage

and to be clear, both gems give crit damage, if emeralds were vuln damage I would not be so confused

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

dyzzy posted:

Barbs can basically have 100% uptime on CC, not so much vuln but I could be missing something there. So from my pov, against things that aren't immune to slow you're giving up overall crit damage

and to be clear, both gems give crit damage, if emeralds were vuln damage I would not be so confused

Crit damage to vulnerable targets.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So I'm wrong in that crit dmg vs vuln is somehow not additive to the rest of your crit damage % but crit dmg vs. CC is?

vvv noted, I should definitely be looking out for that more

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Oh yeah my bad.

It's the same bonus too... But yeah unstoppable affixes would render that ineffective.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

dyzzy posted:

So I'm wrong in that crit dmg vs vuln is somehow not additive to the rest of your crit damage % but crit dmg vs. CC is?

Honestly I think it is, but I could be wrong. My understanding though is that it'd be more consistent in that nothing I am aware of is immune to vulnerable and because vulnerable damage is multiplicative instead of additive you want to stack that poo poo as much as possible anyway.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Jaytan posted:

they both add 12% crit strike damage, the only difference is when they add it. one adds it when enemies are vulnerable (for ww, 3 seconds with exploit glyph, chance for proc in things like flay, pressure point, decimator glyph) or while crowd controlled (100% of the time for all enemies as ww). i’m level 100

Speak for yourself

depends on if i’m doing speed clear stuff or being dumb and trying to push higher level keys as ww/killing bosses. everything dies in the guaranteed vuln window of exploit on mid 60s and less. but everything is also crowd controlled at exactly the same time as they turn vulnerable so you get the damage bonus either way. if something doesn’t die in less than 3 seconds though, why are so many people still suggesting emeralds in weapons? i know you can cheese stupid high level nmds by doing a damage window in the guaranteed exploit with all your buffs up and then run around for 20 seconds to wait to proc exploit again, and in those cases it wouldn’t matter, i’m just trying to see if there’s some other non obvious or broken mechanic that would push people to use emeralds when sapphires appear to be better in every way

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Aexo posted:

Oh yeah my bad.

It's the same bonus too... But yeah unstoppable affixes would render that ineffective.

that’s what i’m probably overlooking. i guess ignore my whole previous post. thanks

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Bosses are basically unCCable so emeralds actually help vs them while sapphires give more uptime on trash but none on bosses

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
oh right so the sapphire would only apply if they got into a stun phase, which i basically never hit as ww. that makes sense too

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I made up my own poo poo with double swing, it's fun as gently caress

https://maxroll.gg/d4/planner/8d3b70he

- frenzy goes fast, fast is good
- double swing smash and keeps berserk going
- yelling is good and breaks cc and gives fortify
- leap is good because it's fun, it also turns on berserk
- death blow loving owns, it will instakill trash which resets the cooldown to 1 second
- chains were fixed in the last patch, inflict vulnerable, kick off berserk, and are great fun. chain + death blow combo is sick

take 2 handed sword thing for bleed on everything, take hamstring = everything you touch is slowed

also take all fortify, thorns, berserk and bleed aspects, it all plays real nice together

You're running around super fast while on fire, yelling around and screaming and everything is exploding

https://imgur.com/a/GkGE2aS

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah I'm gonna reserve a set of emeralds for stuff like Uber Lilith now that I'm aware of that, cheers

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

harrygomm posted:

they both add 12% crit strike damage, the only difference is when they add it. one adds it when enemies are vulnerable (for ww, 3 seconds with exploit glyph, chance for proc in things like flay, pressure point, decimator glyph) or while crowd controlled (100% of the time for all enemies as ww).

Good clarification thanks. I haven’t played in a bit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

harrygomm posted:

depends on if i’m doing speed clear stuff or being dumb and trying to push higher level keys as ww/killing bosses. everything dies in the guaranteed vuln window of exploit on mid 60s and less. but everything is also crowd controlled at exactly the same time as they turn vulnerable so you get the damage bonus either way. if something doesn’t die in less than 3 seconds though, why are so many people still suggesting emeralds in weapons? i know you can cheese stupid high level nmds by doing a damage window in the guaranteed exploit with all your buffs up and then run around for 20 seconds to wait to proc exploit again, and in those cases it wouldn’t matter, i’m just trying to see if there’s some other non obvious or broken mechanic that would push people to use emeralds when sapphires appear to be better in every way
I'm just a mostly casual player that only barely understands endgame mechanics (e.g. I just ran a NM dungeon for the first time last night at level 58, and got headbutted by The Butcher the second I walked through the entrance to the dungeon) so I dont understand half of what you're saying, I was just being cheeky because my off-meta Barb build allows me to Vuln anything I want on demand.

p.s. fighting The Butcher was fun and I need more fights like that and less where there is dumb magic poo poo making AoEs that stop me from using abilities and whatever else.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are the grand cache rewards for killing world bosses once per week per boss, or once per week period?

They’ve had poo poo drops for me so far either way but just curious.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bold Robot posted:

Are the grand cache rewards for killing world bosses once per week per boss, or once per week period?

They’ve had poo poo drops for me so far either way but just curious.

there’sa unique cache per boss. i swear i’ve gotten them more than once/week/boss but i’m much less sure about that. i’d assume 1/week/boss but i don’t know when/if that ‘week’ has a set reset time or day

another potentially dumb barb question: i know that the ‘additional bonus’ isn’t added when you slot something in the technique slot, but the bonus that does get used, does it count for all attacks? i’m specifically looking at 1H mace which says it gives [x]20% damage increase when using two maces. if i got two 1H maces, but manually set my WW to use my 2H bludgeon/slash weapon, do i still gain that benefit? should these benefits show up somewhere in the character sheet i can use to confirm?

edit: note that i can log in to check, when something is added to the technique slot, it specifically clarified ‘when using any weapon’ so it would apply in that case

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 29, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So.. finally unlocked T4. I went into the capstone at around 65 and got one shotted by trash mobs. I didn't know wtf to think about that. I was clearing level 18 NM dungeons fine. Came back at 67 and cleared it all in like 10 minutes.

:wtc:

So now I see there is an item level HIGHER than sacred. Okay, this is cool. I thought I had collected mostly everything I needed. Welp, time to farm again!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

one of the devs said they were taking more time to figure out how'd they work or something but eventually they'll get put in

tell them they work by giving you bonuses specific to that set and how much of it you have equipped OP

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Philthy posted:

So.. finally unlocked T4. I went into the capstone at around 65 and got one shotted by trash mobs. I didn't know wtf to think about that. I was clearing level 18 NM dungeons fine. Came back at 67 and cleared it all in like 10 minutes.

:wtc:

So now I see there is an item level HIGHER than sacred. Okay, this is cool. I thought I had collected mostly everything I needed. Welp, time to farm again!
The power ramp you feel when unlocking WT3/WT4 is really cool and probably one of the most exciting things in the game. Hope they’re able to tap into that again because the wow of WT4 doesn’t really have enough legs for the last 30 levels.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

tell them they work by giving you bonuses specific to that set and how much of it you have equipped OP

i emailed them

hopefully it helps all those folks out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm still waiting for blizz to sell drop chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They already do. Immortal is still here!