Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
So it's been humid + flash flood on the same day for the next few weeks on random days this month.

Looks like the Crikvenica flooding event I went through as a kid will become a daily occurance in in the summer.

gently caress that for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
well, i stopped paying attention to work around noon PDT and took a long break to play video games, and still there's no updates in this thread

cmon now, technically we're finally back onto domestic russian affairs

that fuckin putin speech lol. he mad

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

TearsOfPirates posted:

So it's been humid + flash flood on the same day for the next few weeks on random days this month.

Looks like the Crikvenica flooding event I went through as a kid will become a daily occurance in in the summer.

gently caress that for real

I partially grew up in central texas, so I'm getting some real san antonio vibes from the weather- just 50% less.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

evgeny prigozhin is the most "Millwall 'til I die" looking fucker I've ever seen

Doctor Teeth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 24, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Russia is entering the cool zone

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everything's coming up Batka!

Lol, I was sure something was gonna happen overnight, but apparently not. So Lukashenko looks like the only one who gained something from this circus... which is a lol in itself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who would have thought that Batka could actually return the favor from when Putin saved him from losing power?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Lol, I was sure something was gonna happen overnight, but apparently not. So Lukashenko looks like the only one who gained something from this circus... which is a lol in itself.

Prigozhin got a lot of respect for his "man said - man did so" attitude among the population and security guarantees short term. They might take him out before but armed successful rebellion hints that putins regime is held with sticks and poo poo for glue. If things truly start coming apart he'll be called in from exile to take the crown and restore order as Tough Man that Gets poo poo Done

10/10 excellent episode the writers didnt milk it for long lots of action, lots of intrigue for future episodes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

Who would have thought that Batka could actually return the favor from when Putin saved him from losing power?

Yes, all hail god emperor lukashenko on his velour throne

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 25, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Everything about Batka's recent successes baffle me.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Since 2022 February he has been very effective and politically successful dictator by contrast because he does nothing, and gets almost nothing done by others. At least if you look at it from a foreigner's viewpoint.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Batka has been in power longer than Putin.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki... no more.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shouldn't these type of changes in Poland make Orban at least somewhat worried that his little benefits scheme against EU is in danger of crapping out, or at least make him ease on the "openly on the Russian's side on the war"-politics?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Der Kyhe posted:

Shouldn't these type of changes in Poland make Orban at least somewhat worried that his little benefits scheme against EU is in danger of crapping out, or at least make him ease on the "openly on the Russian's side on the war"-politics?

He just gave an interview to Bild today, where he said Putin is strong because he solved the Prigozhin situation in 24 hours, and Ukraine is not a sovereign country. Every time you think that it is time for him to slow down, he pushes the pedal to the metal. Its nuts.

Edit: Forgot the link https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/ungarns-ministerpraesident-orban-putin-ist-stabil-84474096.bild.html

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Orban knows he can count on Poland to protect him. As long as PiS is in power Orban will have the full backing of Poland on everything that counts.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Wait a few months for konfederacja to get a couple of ministries and he’ll be able to count on us much more.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What books are read in a country on a high speed slope into fascism? Turns out, lots of YA about love between young men.

Russian Digital Ministry has published a statistical report for book market in 2022 and here are the most bought books for the year everything went to poo poo:

(banned books in red)

Russian books:

1) A Summer in a Young Pioneer’s Tie by Elena Malisova and Katerina Silvanova - the bestseller sensation about two summer camp counselors in late USSR that enraged countless "war poets", military isekai enthusiasts, crusty fantasy bloodfiends and, in the end, Russian Parliament, that passed a severe law outlawing any LGBT "propaganda", even under 18+ rating.
2) What the Swallow is Silent About - a sequel to No 1, about the sad protagonists of the first novel in their 30s.
3) Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - timeless classic about tortured love, Pontius Pilate and Satan's pals raising hell in Stalin's Moscow.
4) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky - apparently, not enough copies have been printed for every Russian household, still
5) The Land of Kings, Volume of Clubs by Fyodor Nechitailo - an insanely popular comic series about adventures in a land of playing cards by a kid-friendly youtuber, starring his clones. Teens love complicated worlds with a lot of characters, so I guess it is kinda Russian Homestuck.

Translated books:
1) 1984 by George Orwell - welp
2) Heaven Official's Blessing by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu - a Chinese fantasy novel series about very handsome young men
3) The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - making another generation sad
4) The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic - YA by an american author about sad boys playing sports
5) They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera - YA about doomed queer teens

Despite best efforts of state machine sending every citizen with a Government Services account poetry books by insane people obsessed with war gore and commisars with big tits, teenage girls still rule the book market

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is Nechitailo a pen name, or his real family name?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Is Nechitailo a pen name, or his real family name?

Real, his pen name is Fyodor Comix

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As expected, Duma has banned all gender affirming care.

http://duma.gov.ru/news/57524/

Also, if you've already managed to transition and change your passport, you can't marry anyone. If you adopted, the child will be taken away.*

For context, in the past 7 years, ~3k people officially changed their gender in Russia. There was an uptick in the last 3 years, with almost 1k in 2022 alone.

I remember an old NTV documentary about trans people in Russia that I watched as a child. I think it was before the takeover in 2000, and it was very sympathetic and everyone they interviewed was shown as a regular person. In the next 15 years, there was almost no public discourse about trans people, even when Parent 1 and Parent 2 became a mainstay in propaganda. Then, in 2013 the law against 'propaganda to minors of non-traditional relationships' passed. The bill originally covered only homosexuality, but someone in Duma googled what T in LGBT stands for and it was expanded to everything 'non-traditional'. A bit later, out of the blue, it became illegal to drive a car if you were diagnosed with gender dysphoria. And now this.

The bigotry that obviously existed in Russia before 2010s was very different and mostly stemmed from Russian prison culture, if anything. I'm pretty sure Russian propaganda's obsession with American Republican talking points is what lead down that path. Putin is clearly being fed this stuff by whomever is responsible for his media diet, and it really shows. It's weird thinking back to early-mid 2000s pride parades in Russia, and how gradually homophobia and transphobia were reinforced in public consciousness, and went from casual to vitriolic to legally enshrined in just over a decade.

E: *According to one Duma Member, the law doesn't mandate removing children from legal guardians who already transitioned, but that's not what the law itself stipulates from what I can tell.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 14, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

As expected, Duma has banned all gender affirming care.

http://duma.gov.ru/news/57524/

Also, if you've already managed to transition and change your passport, you can't marry anyone. If you adopted, the child will be taken away.*

Yep, this poo poo is dire. Absolutely horrendous.

And just yesterday I read that a Russian LGBT activist, a trans man, was arrested by FSB under treason charges which could lead to a life or 20 years in prison. FSB claims he had transferred money to support Ukrainian army.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
I'm so getting sick over the flash storms we've been having in Slovenia atm.

It's truly getting closer and closer to an apocalypse every day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

Firemen are still picking up branches and trees as typing this message here in Trieste, which is starting to get sorta tiring in how little resources they have for forestry issues.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

SlowBloke posted:

Firemen are still picking up branches and trees as typing this message here in Trieste, which is starting to get sorta tiring in how little resources they have for forestry issues.

Yeah that'll be a big problem here as well, given that 59% of the country here is forests.

Also the vineyards are sooo going to be hosed with this hail.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

TearsOfPirates posted:

Funny thing is we’ve had those every summer throughout the 00’s midway to the 10’s in Poland and then they just stopped. The sky would get night dark and then the front of the storm would come with gale force winds ripping trees and throwing off poo poo from balconies in the city, and there’d be twisters which we just don’t get in this part of the world. That’s what I saw on the news in Belgrade yesterday.

I said it before - it’s lovely but Poland is benefitting from the current weather system, with milder winters, longer summers and less extreme poo poo.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Two people died in the storm that hit Zagreb yesterday, with two more elsewhere in Croatia. And Zagreb hasn't even recovered from the 2020 earthquake.

Now I'm waiting for the three-headed lamb to blow the horn of locusts or something.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Honestly we'd need to start a separate thread to start going through the horrific poo poo inflicted on Poland, by Poland in just the last week.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

Yeah that'll be a big problem here as well, given that 59% of the country here is forests.

Also the vineyards are sooo going to be hosed with this hail.

We got a huge hail drop today at 0600, along with another rain event. I feel that's not the last of it tho given the shite radar view.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Mokotow posted:

Funny thing is we’ve had those every summer throughout the 00’s midway to the 10’s in Poland and then they just stopped. The sky would get night dark and then the front of the storm would come with gale force winds ripping trees and throwing off poo poo from balconies in the city, and there’d be twisters which we just don’t get in this part of the world. That’s what I saw on the news in Belgrade yesterday.

I said it before - it’s lovely but Poland is benefitting from the current weather system, with milder winters, longer summers and less extreme poo poo.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind us benefitting from a bit more (non-sudden) rain.

Last year I was driving around southern Poland and, crossing a bridge over the Vistula, I saw shoals and islands, overgrown with grass (and even small trees) where there used to be none, just a decade ago.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

RedSnapper posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't mind us benefitting from a bit more (non-sudden) rain.

Last year I was driving around southern Poland and, crossing a bridge over the Vistula, I saw shoals and islands, overgrown with grass (and even small trees) where there used to be none, just a decade ago.

Even up in Warsaw it's been low for a few years now, I haven't seen the water high there for 3 or 4 years.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
This may or may not be interesting given the overall state of the world, but if you lived in the Baltics in the 1980s and early 1990s, your understanding of sexuality may have been strongly influenced by a specific book. It was the only widely available book about sexuality, which meant that practically every family had a copy hidden away somewhere.

Published in the late 1970s or early 1980s, it was called "In the name of love" by Jānis Zālītis. It was a household name in Latvia and, as it turns out, also in Lithuania.

Some researcher has actually made the effort of analysing the book from a modern perspective and written an essay about it. It's a hoot of :ussr::hf::biotruths:

https://www.europa.clio-online.de/essay/id/fdae-116915

quote:

While in some ways “revolutionary”, the book however also reproduced many of the predominant Soviet ideological clichés regarding sexuality. First of all, it entrenched a moralistic notion that sexuality can only legitimately appear in the context of marriage and exalted Soviet “love”, which above all, meant the sacrifice of individual desires for the common good.[21] A big part of the book was dedicated to the explanation of the dangers of sex before or outside marriage, which was said to irreparably damage the psyche of young people, women in particular. Secondly, Zālītis, in line with Soviet propaganda requirements, associated the dangers of “free love” with the degenerate Western capitalist world, where “the excesses of sexual revolution are raging”, allegedly resulting in “homosexuality, sadism and Venereal diseases”.[22] It was crucial therefore to prevent the influence of the Western sexual revolution among the Soviet youths, by spreading appropriate Communist sexual education. Finally, and what will be the main object of analysis in this essay, Zālītis reproduced a patriarchal and heteronormative understanding of sexuality and gender difference, insisting (despite the declarative support for the Soviet women’s emancipation) that hierarchical gender differences were of outmost importance in facilitating healthy desire and a stable marriage, and that sexuality could be strictly divided into “normal”, meaning leading towards procreation, and “perverse”.

quote:

The particular local “Latvian” approach to sexual education that Zālītis aimed to develop resulted in an interesting and often contradictory amalgam of different perspectives to the issues of the intimate life. This can be seen, for example, in how he dealt with the question of masturbation, which had been an obsession of sexual educators in the West since the end of the 18th century.[33] On the one hand, his approach was rather similar to that of his contemporary Imieliński, as Zālītis believed that masturbation (onanism) does not cause illness and is not harmful in itself, but can be detrimental because of the guilt and various superstitions surrounding masturbation.[34] Nevertheless, he oscillated between contradictory claims throughout the book. First, Zālītis argued that sexual education should aim to prevent onanism,[35] then claimed it to be harmless or even beneficial in particular circumstances,[36] then argued that only the guilt surrounding masturbation might be harmful (like Imieliński),[37] and, finally, still listed it among “sexual perversions” and warned the readers that it might lead to other deviances, such as homosexuality:

Literature, which claims that onanism is an absolutely natural and harmless phenomenon, can sexually disorient young people. It is known that onanism is quite widely spread among young and unmarried men. <> Teenagers masturbate without even being ashamed of each other. It is not harmful to their health or future sexual potency, maybe even on the contrary. However, in this instance, a desire to help each other might arise, which might lead the young men to a situation, which might orient them towards homosexuality.[38]

When dealing with the question of masturbation, Zālītis dithered whether to exonerate masturbation fully, and claim it to be normal and healthy, or rather stay with the prevalent Soviet perception that it is an asocial activity, and might lead to homosexuality.[39] Similar indecisiveness characterizes many of his other arguments. Overall, it can be said that in Mīlestības vārdā Zālītis built his own contradictory and inconsistent theory of sexuality, which was on the surface compatible with the Marxist-Leninist doctrine, did not diverge radically from the generally acceptable sexological views in other Eastern European countries, but also reflected the particular traditionalist gender and sexual norms of Soviet Latvian society and, at times, his own whims of creative inspiration.

quote:

While on the one hand it fell on women’s shoulders to ensure that men stay attracted to them, especially in marriage, on the other hand it was also their responsibility to control the untamed sexual desires in men, especially before the marriage. By staying chaste, proud, and refusing men’s sexual advances (a young woman has to stay proud “like a queen” Zālītis argued repeatedly), women could cultivate men, draw out more tender feelings from them, thus paving the way for the proper Soviet love to arise.

etc, etc.

edit:

quote:

Without denying the good aspects of emancipation, it seems worrying that a woman, whose true call is to bring the new generation to this world, should sit at the wheel of a tractor, that is, that she gains a specialization, which is harmful to the normal course of pregnancy, not to speak of professions, which are absolutely incompatible with raising children (differently from a father, a mother is indispensable here). <> It is worrying also that a woman, due to her desire to “catch up” with a man, takes over also his weaknesses and vices (in the last ten years the number of female chronic alcoholic has increased five-fold, not to speak of smoking women). Women’s behavior, clothing and everything related to fashion (the exterior form), got masculinized around the mid-twentieth century. <> But the content reflects the form, and the form influences the content![62]

Zālītis worried, that the “masculinization” of women, that is, the loss of what he understood as specifically feminine traits – modesty, pride, elegance – will result in weakening sexual desire between the sexes, because desire is “the attraction between the opposite poles”.[63] Woman’s “masculinization” would further lead also to the “feminization” of men, and obstruct the development of a sexual relationship based on true love. Furthermore, it could lead to sexual perversions, argued Zālītis, because “as the research shows, a rude and hostile woman always also has sexual deviances, and one influences the other.”[64] Women’s alleged loss of femininity under socialism therefore came to stand in Mīlestības vārdā as one of the core problems of contemporary marriages, and quite a fundamental social problem in general, which needed an urgent intervention of sexual educators like himself, who could teach girls and women how to be feminine again.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 26, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My bed just jumped, it seems like there has been an earthquake at Stari trg pri Ložu. I hope it's not bad on the ground there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://m.emsc.eu/ lists a 4.0 in Slovenia (and doesn't seem to offer an obvious way of linking to it, but it's the most recent at time of writing).

Doubt that's strong enough to cause much trouble ..

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm planning to travel to Montenegro for the first time and was surprised to learn that their currency is the euro. It's not a legal tender, but it's treated as such since 2002. They can't mint their own coins but other than that, I don't get what the difference is. Sounds like One weird trick the ECB hates! Instead of working hard to meet the formal adoption criteria, just proclaim one day that you're using the Euro.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Various countries have done this with USD in the past.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm planning to travel to Montenegro for the first time and was surprised to learn that their currency is the euro. It's not a legal tender, but it's treated as such since 2002. They can't mint their own coins but other than that, I don't get what the difference is. Sounds like One weird trick the ECB hates! Instead of working hard to meet the formal adoption criteria, just proclaim one day that you're using the Euro.

When i went to Russia in 2016 they accepted euros just fine, they just couldn't show prices in currencies different than rubles. You had to do currency calculations on the spot(the stores had the rubles prices calibrated to do exact rounding to euros).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SlowBloke posted:

When i went to Russia in 2016 they accepted euros just fine, they just couldn't show prices in currencies different than rubles. You had to do currency calculations on the spot(the stores had the rubles prices calibrated to do exact rounding to euros).

surely this only works in certain places that get a lot of tourists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

surely this only works in certain places that get a lot of tourists

I didn't spend a single ruble in Moscow or St. Petersburg, only Euro notes or Mastercard. I think only in the outskirts, where there was no POS anyway, i had to use them.