Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have no idea what ETA stand for.

Estimated time of arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

also “edited to add” :eng101:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Found an RG503 for $80, a 350M for $65, a modded vita for $80, an upgraded retroid 3 (3g RAM, supposedly) for $100, RG351p with case for $100, and another retroid 3 for $50. Not sure if any of those really stand out, thought I might plunk over to Reddit and see if anyone there is keen to let a used one go. I’ve futzed around so long I won’t have anything for my trip, sooo…

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not too applicable to this thread but it gets talked about a lot: the Steam Dork is on sale, the upper tier model being 20% off.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

Not too applicable to this thread but it gets talked about a lot: the Steam Dork is on sale, the upper tier model being 20% off.

After having mine stilen a while ago I refuse to get a new one until there's a Steam Deck 2.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Not sure if this is the place for it but:
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/tag/d/ann-arbor-handheld-video-games/7632369872.html

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Fuckin road trip.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those were either gone in the first 20 minutes after posting, or it’s a scam. No in between

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Alright so I found an RGB10 Max2 for $80 and another for $90 shipped - the bonus being I can get them sooner and have them for some travel. Decent deal? Bad deal? Both have the 128 card.

If not I may go back to the X55, the offset dpad and buttons bothers me but hopefully wouldn’t be a killer in the end.

Want to start a little lower than just jumping in at $150+

Reached out on a $110 Ambernic RG505 but nothing back yet. That seemed like a good deal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's a listing up for the RG353P on Amazon for only $130 and Prime Shipping which I'd say is a pretty good deal for what you're getting(at least once you've gotten a better Linux CFW on it like JELOS, maybe also swap the default Android image for the Blackseraph custom one)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is Wine still the best bet when trying to run old windows games on a android device, or is there something better to try?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Vakal posted:

Is Wine still the best bet when trying to run old windows games on a android device, or is there something better to try?

The devs who were working on Skyline have switched to some Windows-on-Android compatibility layer called Cassia. I don’t think it’s had a first release yet but they’ve been teasing it running Portal.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Alright so I found an RGB10 Max2 for $80 and another for $90 shipped - the bonus being I can get them sooner and have them for some travel. Decent deal? Bad deal? Both have the 128 card.

If not I may go back to the X55, the offset dpad and buttons bothers me but hopefully wouldn’t be a killer in the end.

Want to start a little lower than just jumping in at $150+

Reached out on a $110 Ambernic RG505 but nothing back yet. That seemed like a good deal.

You could get the Anbernic RG353PS or Retroid Pocket 3 (not plus) for $110 on Amazon

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

So is the official line to not bother ordering an extra card with a console, just buy a good one separately and load it with games to use on the emulators included?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

So is the official line to not bother ordering an extra card with a console, just buy a good one separately and load it with games to use on the emulators included?

Very much so yes, but maybe save the roms that it comes with in case they’re weird bootlegs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it’s a morbid curiosity thing more than something you’d actively use.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just a remember my PMs are open and I might buy your leftover handhelds.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've got miyoo mini plus coming in soon, are the shoulder buttons enough or should I hit up Etsy for a replacement?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWvXiwTn-w

looks like the X55 is actually pretty good

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just a quick note to avoid the Ayn Loki, apparently there is reports that "There was a mold issue with the buttons that allows it to run into the left analogue stick when the L2 is pressed and the thumbstick is all the way up toward the top of the device."

Ayn hasn't replied to emails about it and there is more than one person reporting the issue in the discord.

On that note i'm still on the hunt for a Steam Deck alternative...I still think the ROG Ally is what I want but all the bios issues and poo poo have me hesitating and maybe waiting for a cheap 6xxx handheld.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Man their manufacturing facilities must be pretty gross if the controller have a mold issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wear your loving mask

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the storage card?

You don't want to keep the original card anyway, get the one with the lowest and get rid of it asap

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Anbernic will at least let you order something without the card most of the time, but yeah, they’re always trash that will break quickly and filled with hacks of dubious quality

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWvXiwTn-w

looks like the X55 is actually pretty good

Powkiddy does seem to be on a weird roll right now, the RK2023 was pretty well recieved as well. Though I'm still looking at them like the emulator handheld equivalent of KZ in the headphones world where they occasionally produce something good but it seems to happen more by accident than design. Might actually replace my 351P with an X55 since it has all the stuff I'm really after like wifi and HDMI out.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I updated my OnionOS on my miyoo mini for the first time in a while (4.0.3 -> 4.1.3) and I now that I have my list of Genesis titles back, I come back to an age-old question I left unasked until now. Are there any decent filters/settings that get close to modeling Genesis style dithering correctly? From my poking around, the answer seems to be somewhere between "no" and "not worth the effort"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just realized we're officially in Q3 and Analogue still hasn't put original display mode support in openFPGA for the Pocket as was outlined in their announcement page. :negative:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like their stuff but it's amazing how awful they are at communicating and slow they are.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have never dealt with powkiddy directly, I just consider them an AliExpress store brand

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just realized we're officially in Q3 and Analogue still hasn't put original display mode support in openFPGA for the Pocket as was outlined in their announcement page. :negative:

This is why I only play my gb rooms in weird patch form lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got my Loki email, still deciding on whether I actually get it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If anyone is curious, Amazon doesn't seem to have a limit on how many times you can order something and cancel it. drat you MM+ and RG35XX. Literally watched about 20 videos, and ordered and then canceled and ordered again after each one.

I got the MM+. And an RG3+

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm just imagining an Amazon warehouse robot going back and forth between the stock shelves and the shipping and packing area while you're doing that

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Philthy posted:

If anyone is curious, Amazon doesn't seem to have a limit on how many times you can order something and cancel it. drat you MM+ and RG35XX. Literally watched about 20 videos, and ordered and then canceled and ordered again after each one.

They do, you just haven't reached their threshold. They can limit your ability to order or cancel if exploit it enough.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Philthy posted:

Just order both and return one of them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just order both and return one of them.

I wish my brain worked like that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I check this thread every day hoping to read news about the Miyoo flip. Everybody stop buying the mini+ so they feel pressured to release the new thing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
But they will announce the metal flip 3 months later. Sorry about bumping the thread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

But they will announce the metal flip 3 months later. Sorry about bumping the thread.
That's not really Miyoo's gimmick, they don't release higher priced metal variants of their stuff like Anbernic and Retroid do.

That said yes it would be nice to have a midrange clamshell, something that sits between the low end (and ancient) Powkiddy V90 and the medium to high end Retroid Pocket Flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We know it's going to have an RK3566 chip, so we're most likely looking at rg353vs / powkiddy x55 performance and probably run ArcOS, though there's a chance it'll have a bit more ram and run Android like the 353v or the pocket 3