Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Judy, Ventus, Ruby, or Laura are probably the best quests to do if you just wanted to do a single playthrough. The other three have gimmicks that make them much more difficult or annoying. Armic's has the aforementioned item trading tied to plot progression, Mythe's quest is extremely difficult at the start and the end and his team options are all incredibly frail. Kurt has an miserable gimmick where he will be ambushed about every hour and forced to fight a one on one battle. There's multiple stages that he will progress through and they get harder each time. The last couple fights will require a pretty well built Kurt to beat along with a bit of luck. If you lose the fight it just drops you right where you were with no penalty, but Kurt is rather beefy so it wastes about 10 minutes of your time with each loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Arzaac posted:

Never before have I had a game softlock on a required quest because it's a kill all enemies map, but the enemies spawn in faster than I could kill them. (You're supposed to kill everyone before too many reinforcements spawn in but that practically requires you know where to go ahead of time)

This one is extra "cool" because it's a quest that happens directly after another dungeon without a chance to save. Ended two of my three aborted attempts of "okay it's been a couple of years and this time I will learn to love this game"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just found out the european manual for unlimited saga had a lot more information than the american one did. imagine actually explaining to the player how the skill panels and growths work!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Frontier question: I'm trying to go to Wakatu. I have Gen. He's been in my party since I got him from Scrap early on. However, I didn't ascertain that he was from Wakatu via Koorong before that. They won't let me in. Did I screw myself?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

If I remember correctly, they’ll only let you in if you’re on the Arcane magic gift quest.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I am doing that, unless I can't do the Rune and Arcane quests at the same time?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Grimthwacker posted:

IIRC you cannot. Finish one chain and then the other.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ace Transmuter posted:

IIRC you cannot. Finish one chain and then the other.

Yeah this is accurate- you can only have one active at a time.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

Also: Anyone with you when you complete one quest is unable to receive the gift for the other, even if you do both quests. So if for whatever reason you want to get both gifts, you'll need to grab some extra fuckos after getting the first gift so they can get the other.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also: Anyone with you when you complete one quest is unable to receive the gift for the other, even if you do both quests. So if for whatever reason you want to get both gifts, you'll need to grab some extra fuckos after getting the first gift so they can get the other.

There's another way around this - if someone knows a spell from the opposing school, they won't get the gift even after completing the magic quest. So if you want most of your team to get the gift for light magic, but one person to get the gift for shadow magic, you can buy that one person a shadow magic spell, do the light magic quest, then go do the shadow magic quest without needing to juggle party members.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Shadow magic rules and everyone should get it because shadow servant is OP as hell if the boss isn't spamming AOE. Also getting shadow magic means you can recruit Silence (unless you're playing as T260-G or Riki).

The best thing about light magic is that Light Sword is the strongest weapon in the game (and gives +10 to all stats, iirc). Mega Windblast is good AOE damage too but Blue/Rouge already have vermillion sands, monsters get stuff like sacred song, and dual wield gale slash can put out a ton of damage even with the store bought zero swords, and guns have their AOE options.

Snake Maze posted:

There's another way around this - if someone knows a spell from the opposing school, they won't get the gift even after completing the magic quest. So if you want most of your team to get the gift for light magic, but one person to get the gift for shadow magic, you can buy that one person a shadow magic spell, do the light magic quest, then go do the shadow magic quest without needing to juggle party members.

If you're doing NG+ characters carry over their magic but not their gifts so I think you can get opposing spells on people that way as well but it's been a while since I played SF remastered.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The problem with Shadow Servant in Frontier is that it interferes with combos. I think you can actually output more damage without it than with it in many cases. Also most bosses use AOEs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
You're kinda underselling MegaWindBlast a bit. Outside of some mech options that aren't always available it is the best option for multitarget damage and remains the best spammable damage options for pure mages and mystics.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I have officially completed SaGa Frontier. What a ride. My first SaGa in a long time and everything was as wonderfully random as back on the Game Boy. The setup was wild, the scenarios were varied, and I had a hell of a time getting through them all. A++, not gonna do it again, but I'm glad I did.

However, I have not completed SaGa Frontier Remastered. There's that Fuse-shaped hole remaining. Not now, but later.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Finally beat the Soulgutter quest and I certainly wasn't expecting a Mario Party minigame. What was Spiritwhack (edit: corrected the name) supposed to do anyway? Bc the thing kept missing every single time it was used.

On that note, I'm at ER 16 and I think I got all time-critical quests out of the way besides the Jewel Beast before it wakes up.

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 19, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OgretailFood posted:

Finally beat the Soulgutter quest and I certainly wasn't expecting a Mario Party minigame. What was Spiritwhack (edit: corrected the name) supposed to do anyway? Bc the thing kept missing every single time it was used.

I believe it's supposed to be a straight instant kill, but since you got the blessing it's set to always miss.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, the blessing had a gameplay use? I thought it was just for plot because of the whole soul-sucking thing like that one dude in the cutscene.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OgretailFood posted:

Wait, the blessing had a gameplay use? I thought it was just for plot because of the whole soul-sucking thing like that one dude in the cutscene.

It was that as well, the soul-sucking thing was Spiritwhack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OgretailFood posted:

Sounds it's also a callback to Kzinssie's soul stealer ability in RS2 and how it will immediately perma-kill anyone who doesn't have the soul stealer dodge skill.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/introduction-to-saga
Official intro to SaGa you can spread to indoctrinate more people to the cause

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Gyoru posted:

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/introduction-to-saga
Official intro to SaGa you can spread to indoctrinate more people to the cause

For a second I forgot they were just looking at games available on modern platforms and thought they were acting like Nothing Happened Between Saga Frontier And Scarlet Grace

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Somehow I killed the Jewel Beast, got my 8th fatestone, Sif got her dragon eye all shiny now and recruited the Dragon Knight. All that's left is wait for the ending quests I guess and grab the last two fatestones.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
:toot:
"Somehow I killed the Jewel Beast" is about right, too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dumb question: is there any particular reason why it's always rendered as "SaGa" instead of just "Saga"?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There's not, like, a "and that is the story of the sausage gazebo" namedrop moment or anything.

Linguistically, there's a not-quite-a-hyphen in Japanese used to glue together foreign terms, and this was used between "sa" and "ga" in the Japanese name until Frontier; caps again without a space is actually a pretty clever way to bring that across.

Legally, there are a lot of other games with "Saga" in the name but none done up like that, so it probably made the trademark a bit easier/more confident.

In terms of posting, see also how many other games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mandoric posted:

There's not, like, a "and that is the story of the sausage gazebo" namedrop moment or anything.

Linguistically, there's a not-quite-a-hyphen in Japanese used to glue together foreign terms, and this was used between "sa" and "ga" in the Japanese name until Frontier; caps again without a space is actually a pretty clever way to bring that across.

Legally, there are a lot of other games with "Saga" in the name but none done up like that, so it probably made the trademark a bit easier/more confident.

In terms of posting, see also how many other games.

On top of that, the original logo actually put Sa-Ga in English characters! But they phased that out by, I think, Romancing SaGa 2 in favour of just 'SaGa'.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just started Fuse's first case file. They REALLY want you to do the laps around the regions to get ready for the bosses, huh? And all the gear you can get is on-site procurement only? That's an odd way of padding things.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if the intended way to do Fuse's stuff is via carryover data. Especially since it's effectively where the super bosses are.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fuse is very much expecting you to use Carryover Data.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, I'm a dummy, and I can buy gear. That's good. By "carryover data" do you mean New Game +? Can I actually do that before finishing any of Fuse's things?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

After you've cleared anyone's game, you can load carry over data from any save file.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big change in the remaster is that you can choose to keep a bunch of stuff after clearing a scenario. in the original, you started from scratch each time. with fuse, you really need to take advantage of this.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, so I finished Lute's scenario last so I launched right into his file when I picked Fuse, but I wasn't given any option to load a save file. If anything carried over, I can't tell.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hell yeah more SaGa

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I'm so unbelievably hyped for Saga Frontier Scarlet Grace this is the best announcement ever

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
More saga woooooooooooooo!!!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's the trailer for SaGa Emerald Beyond on its own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplvkQ33EpQ

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo it’s using the Scarlet Graces system, hell yeah

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Really excited for this. I love that they're doing a more Frontier-style setting, all the characters look cool, and focusing more explicitly on the branching storyline stuff they played with in Scarlet Grace looks really interesting. I'm curious how the battle system works, Scarlet Grace had incredibly good mechanics and it looks like they're doing something similar here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
I hope they'll show the Tomomi Kobayashi artworks soon, I'm really liking the designs and I can't wait to see them in Kobayashi's style.

Also I'm expecting a lot of gayness from Bonnie and Formina, I want to believe I won't be disappointed.