Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm interested in Mechabellum but also one of my all-time favorite games is LegionTD2, which is a similar concept (highly strategic multiplayer pvp autobattler) executed to near-perfection. Any chance anyone here has played both and can speak for how Mechabellum stacks up to LegionTD2?

Also Legion TD2 is on sale for $15
https://store.steampowered.com/app/469600/Legion_TD_2__Multiplayer_Tower_Defense/

It has a pretty steep learning curve, but if you put in the time it's probably the "purest" strategy game I have ever played.

Every moment is full of causal decision making, prediction, and forward thinking. There's virtually never any clear "best" decision for you to make. You constantly have to analyze large amounts of variables and make decisions about how to best manage your resources to deal with all of them. It's truly a strategy game where every single decision is one that you make in the heat of the moment, instead of a meta play style that you repeat every matchup.

It's especially fun at high matchmaking levels or playing with friends (it's either 2v2 ranked or 4v4 casual)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Saoshyant posted:

It's a new feature they added because of (IIRC) European law about discounts. Very handy!

aha, so they're doing the classic response to consumer-protection legislation of only following it in the regions where they absolutely legally have to
which would explain why it's not showing that new UI for me in America

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I need takes on Angels Fall First.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, Creaks is a fun game - it's got all the artsiness of Amanita's other products but this time there are pretty solid puzzles underneath.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

aha, so they're doing the classic response to consumer-protection legislation of only following it in the regions where they absolutely legally have to
which would explain why it's not showing that new UI for me in America

At least it's still the same discount :)

I remember years back when Black Friday sale was still a new thing in Denmark, that a lot of people and consumer organizations complained that the Before prices advertised, were just hiked up prices, and the Sale price was almost the same as a couple of weeks back.
Good to see that there is some level of transparency.

Wasn't there a thing some time ago at a summer or winter sale, when a publisher had raised the price on some popular/AAA games, and the selling them with what was about 5-10% discount, but advertised them as being 25-50% off?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So there's no minigame this year?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

was there one last year?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jack Trades posted:

Is that the game with the loving spiders?

I think I'll pass.

The spider in Hunt Showdown has the best spider movement you'll find in a video game. Climbing any surface in a super seamless way.

It's almost impressive enough to distract from how loving horrifying the thing is.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Hooray!

I will look when it becomes possible to view my wishlist. Got my free sticker though, the most important thing.

Speaking of, I'm not seeing where to claim it. If you scroll down enough there would usually be a claim button or a landing page all about the sale, but I am not seeing anything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lister posted:

Speaking of, I'm not seeing where to claim it. If you scroll down enough there would usually be a claim button or a landing page all about the sale, but I am not seeing anything.

You have to go to a category page, linked from the main store page, and it'll be there.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Awesome! posted:

was there one last year?

It was the clorthax mini-game thing. Valve usually runs an event these days if they're trying to test something or give it a trial run. Last year it was all about their new way to search based on genre. It looks like they don't have anything this year except for a price cut on the deck. I don't even understand what the theming is supposed to be. It's some brutialist architecture building with a beach chair, coolers, and cats above some green water with fish and crab with a seabed of non-descript industrial boxes stretching down into infinity. :what:

Also, I looked at my inventory and it's the ten year anniversary of including cards in their sales. yay

edit:

HopperUK posted:

You have to go to a category page, linked from the main store page, and it'll be there.

Thank you, I did just pass by the green tag that said "PLUS VISIT A CATEGORY BELOW AND CLAIM A FREE STICKER DAILY" Kind of a dumb place to put it imo.

Lister fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 29, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man clicking button for sticker is the best event they had yet!
Or the last 20 times

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol at the deck getting discounted by 20% already while the index's price hasn't budged an inch in four years, even as it's specs fall behind cheaper headsets

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a sports game thread somewhere? They never seem to come up in the more general threads.

I don't know poo poo about hockey so I thought playing a hockey game might do a decent job of teaching me, but it turns out the most recent NHL game (played via a month of the EA pass thing) is definitely made for diehards only. They barely have any kind of tutorial and don't explain anything. Is there an alternative game?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

loquacius posted:

Has anybody played Yooka-Laylee? My daughter was way into Banjo-Kazooie when I played it for her and I've heard it's a spiritual successor to that (and it's 90% off :eyepop:)

A Hat In Time is %50 off and so much better its not even funny.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a sports game thread somewhere? They never seem to come up in the more general threads.

I don't know poo poo about hockey so I thought playing a hockey game might do a decent job of teaching me, but it turns out the most recent NHL game (played via a month of the EA pass thing) is definitely made for diehards only. They barely have any kind of tutorial and don't explain anything. Is there an alternative game?

the sports game threads seem to mostly be in here https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=248

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuzzySlippers posted:

you just hit the puck in the net, how hard can it be?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fatty posted:

A Hat In Time is %50 off and so much better its not even funny.

Yeah it's not quite the same as the B/K games but I would also recommend Hat in Time over Y-L. The sequel for Y-L is pretty good but not a collectathon. I kickstarter'd Y-L cause I'm a giant fan of B-K and B-T and was very disappointed. Even as someone that replays DK64 every few years and enjoys it I felt the levels were too big and it wasn't fun to move around the levels at all. Also, the last boss just really sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yes

https://store.steampowered.com/app/532190/Super_Blood_Hockey/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What hockey should be.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

The net is tiny compared to the giant umpire looking goalie who stands in front of it. Apparently I'm supposed to deke? to get the big rear end goalie to not block the puck every time and when he does he just sits there with the puck and unlike soccer that's not a problem so they blow the whistle and it goes to a drop ball which I can't figure out how to win.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what guns do you have

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tape to tape is probably the best hockey game on PC right now. Which makes me sad. It’s good, but I wish NHL 20x was on PC.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Mr E posted:

Yeah it's not quite the same as the B/K games but I would also recommend Hat in Time over Y-L. The sequel for Y-L is pretty good but not a collectathon. I kickstarter'd Y-L cause I'm a giant fan of B-K and B-T and was very disappointed. Even as someone that replays DK64 every few years and enjoys it I felt the levels were too big and it wasn't fun to move around the levels at all. Also, the last boss just really sucks.

I never went back to any of them except B-K (And Conker's Bad Fur Day - but that's just Rare's best work)
B-T missed the mark in no way I can nail down, and I never even played Nuts and Bolts. I tried Y-L briefly and it was middling at best.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuzzySlippers posted:

The net is tiny compared to the giant umpire looking goalie who stands in front of it. Apparently I'm supposed to deke? to get the big rear end goalie to not block the puck every time and when he does he just sits there with the puck and unlike soccer that's not a problem so they blow the whistle and it goes to a drop ball which I can't figure out how to win.

well now you're just making poo poo up

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got a pretty good haul this sale: Quern Undying Thoughts, Mechabellum, Northern Journey, Pizza Tower, Amid Evil, and Chop Goblins. Gonna start on Amid Evil tonight, and I'm going to make sure I at least try all of these games by the end of July.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RandomBlue posted:

ok which net mr wayne gretzky

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bg3 got moved up a month
I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS poo poo

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

kazil posted:

ok which net mr wayne gretzky

there's only two, just pick one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You miss every 50/50 shot you don’t take -Tiger Wayne Gacy

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

I never went back to any of them except B-K (And Conker's Bad Fur Day - but that's just Rare's best work)
B-T missed the mark in no way I can nail down, and I never even played Nuts and Bolts. I tried Y-L briefly and it was middling at best.

I think most people felt that way about B-T but I just love collecting things so much that I didn't mind the very real issues with it. Nuts & Bolts I think was a pretty good game I put way too much time into and a pretty awful B/K game, and now that Tears of the Kingdom is out I want to play it a whole lot less than I used to. I just want them to make collectathons in general again that are like Spyro or the first B-K, it's cool that things like A Hat in Time have been successful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone needs to work on their korok collection :colbert:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

a couple of tips that might help.

You have to pass to open players to create room/space, and yeah, deking is pretty important to making the goalie move. The game has a pretty detailed training system (assuming we're talking about NHL 23), so make sure to look into that if you're still planning on playing it. I'd suggest practicing one-timers (passing to an open player who immediately shoots the puck), as that's a basic skill to have playing these games.

For faceoffs, I think it's pull back on the right stick in a smooth, but quick motion as soon as you see the ref's arm move to drop the puck.

don't be afraid to play on easy until you get used to the controls.

If the game still isn't for you, I'd recommend Tape to Tape, or Super Blood Hockey.

hope that helps!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Keita Takahashi game announced!
https://twitter.com/uvulaLLC/status/1674498561860599808
T

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Upsidads posted:

I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS poo poo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Someone needs to work on their korok collection :colbert:
Their korok is too small.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

not answering your question, sorry, but i own this and wanted to get into it but could never get past the learning cliff overhang. there any sort of newbie guidance you'd recommend reading / watching?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
recent thread topic, https://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/Satellite_Reign/ is 5.99 for summer sale

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

But I need a autobattleler with a coop campaign and gently caress pvp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

not answering your question, sorry, but i own this and wanted to get into it but could never get past the learning cliff overhang. there any sort of newbie guidance you'd recommend reading / watching?

Played this a lot when it was a custom game in SC2 and more when it became a standalone game, the biggest thing you'll want to learn is economy pacing. Join a match with other players and keep track of how many workers the best players have at each wave and try to match it. Whenever you start to leak, focus on defense. If you're killing waves easily, invest more in economy instead. Send units which increase your economy by the standard amount unless you can coordinate with your team to send a bunch of stronger units at once on a difficult wave to try and make the enemy side leak.

I played Shadow a lot, I suggest one Bone Warrior and a Fire Archer for the starting wave. Fire Archers are strong early game and will regenerate through the weak damage of the beginning waves so you can afford to push your economy relatively hard. Upgrade the Bone Warrior to a Skeletor once you have the money, they're also great for early waves even though they fall off relatively quickly. The rest is relatively straightforward, just try to keep pace with the other players and try to get the lifesteal aura melee unit once you have four or five other frontline melee units to benefit from it. Endgame is spamming as many Hades as you can afford and hopefully the pressure of your summons overcomes the force of the waves.

Hard game to master, it will probably take a lot of games to become comfortable with the pace.