Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

Mad God, Spine of Night, Cool World is a loving experience even if it's not "good", Paprika, Perfect Blue, Perseopolis, Chico & Rita, The Congress, Waltz for Bashir, Akira, Anomalisa, Heavy Metal, A Scanner Darkly, Ghost In The Shell.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

People have been cultivating an unquenchable hatred for Viv since she was a teenager for the crime of possibly tracing a few things (but good luck getting any of these people to provide receipts) and possibly being a bit of a dick occasionally, something unheard of from a young person.

And it is genuinely approaching decades at this point. These people are in desperate need of an intervention and having the internet taken away from them, so unless some actual evidence emerges of any of Viv's apparently endless crimes then it would be best to not give them much credence.

I mentioned on another board one of the things that disturbs me most about fandom is the cultivation of deep seething hatred for creators that enters uncomfortably intimate territory. Like every now and again I'll stumble across Viv critical posts and they're all some flavor of picking apart her personal life. And it's all about stuff from over a DECADE ago! Like holy poo poo let it go guys, I can't fathom investing that much energy into that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

roomtone posted:

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

It's Such A Beautiful Day

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

roomtone posted:

The Venture Bros movie here in a few weeks' time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

roomtone posted:

Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Warbird posted:

The Venture Bros movie here in a few weeks' time.

That wont be stand alone at all though. Based on every preview it will be the most confusing thing ever if you haven't watched the show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

People have been cultivating an unquenchable hatred for Viv since she was a teenager for the crime of possibly tracing a few things (but good luck getting any of these people to provide receipts) and possibly being a bit of a dick occasionally, something unheard of from a young person.

And it is genuinely approaching decades at this point. These people are in desperate need of an intervention and having the internet taken away from them, so unless some actual evidence emerges of any of Viv's apparently endless crimes then it would be best to not give them much credence.

yeah, worst i heard was she was kinda of channer dipshit at like 19. which i think ALOT of people were back then. that and weirdos who get offended by ANY kind of risky humor.

Flopsy posted:

I mentioned on another board one of the things that disturbs me most about fandom is the cultivation of deep seething hatred for creators that enters uncomfortably intimate territory. Like every now and again I'll stumble across Viv critical posts and they're all some flavor of picking apart her personal life. And it's all about stuff from over a DECADE ago! Like holy poo poo let it go guys, I can't fathom investing that much energy into that.

what the gently caress. i have seen that and its weird. like i dont know anything about her outside i met her once for like 2 minutes at a con and she was nice and i mostly talked to sam nylan about matching shirts. i dont need to know her every past action to like her work.

it reminds me of that insane post thread back when lindsay elise got canceled and some crazy lady made like 50 post twitter thread about every single bad thing she did. purity teens are stupid and nuts.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Newest season of 10 year old Tom dropped today and the first episode gives me confidence its going to be amazing. The consulting firm talking about their past indiscretions loving slayed me.

Also USS Dem Tities.

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

roomtone posted:

Watership Down (and its follow-up The Plague Dogs if you really want to get messed up)

The Transformers: The Movie

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso (fave Miyazakis)

Fantasia

Haven't seen Persepolis, Satoshi Kon's work (eg. Perfect Blue), or Tomm Moore's work (eg. Song of the Sea) yet but they're always spoken well of. Seconding Akira.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if we're including anime then Inu-Oh was my #1 movie of last year. jaw-dropping stuff

Warbird
May 23, 2012

pixaal posted:

That wont be stand alone at all though. Based on every preview it will be the most confusing thing ever if you haven't watched the show.

They should absolutely go in cold and do a trip report. I can’t even begin to imagine how that would go for someone all the way down the rabbit hole.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Warbird posted:

They should absolutely go in cold and do a trip report. I can’t even begin to imagine how that would go for someone all the way down the rabbit hole.

If there's a "Previously On" recap before the VB movie, I have to imagine it would play for the new viewer like the cold open of "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II", but for real. "...what? All of this happened and I'm starting from...here?"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

JethroMcB posted:

If there's a "Previously On" recap before the VB movie, I have to imagine it would play for the new viewer like the cold open of "Escape to the House of Mummies Part II", but for real. "...what? All of this happened and I'm starting from...here?"

I kind of hope they do this

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bongo Bill posted:

It's Such A Beautiful Day

Seconding, thirding, fourthing, and nth-ing this loving recommendation.

You wouldn't imagine it from Don Hertzfeld, the guy who wrote the "My Anus is Bleeding!" sketch, but the It's Such a Beautiful Day short film trilogy is one of the realest pieces of writing ever put to screen. The ending makes me tear up every time I watch it.

Also, his "The World of Tomorrow" short film is loving hilarious. My cousin got me a signed copy from Hertzfeld's Kickstarter campaign and it is the treasured piece of my dwindling disc collection.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 30, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

thanks that's a lot of stuff i haven't seen

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'd add Fritz the Cat for historical sake. Does Double King count?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffle! posted:

If we're doing Bakshi then I'd go for Wizards over Fritz.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tokyo Godfathers is the best Christmas movie.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffle! posted:

Double King is something special--I mean Felix even released a full soundtrack for it because of sheer demand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

If we're doing Bakshi then I'd go for Wizards over Fritz.

wizards rules.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
[distant chanting:] cool world cool world cool world cool world

Clearly the people have spoken.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

It 100% percent is.

If you're looking for good adult animation you should probably just go ahead and watch every movie satoshi kon ever made.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Also I saw Mad God get recommended; just be aware that it doesn't have much of a narrative. It's a beautiful, horrible, wonderful thing, but it's mostly glorious stop-motion spectacle when you get right down to it. Every animation lover should see it once, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It 100% percent is.

If you're looking for good adult animation you should probably just go ahead and watch every movie satoshi kon ever made.

And if you're watching everything Kon ever made, make the time to watch Paranoia Agent. Especially episode 10 for a great peek inside the anime industry! :v:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm gonna mention anything by Don Hertzfeld and anything by Bill Plympton

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don’t watch Cool World, read the Cool World thread in GBS that’s likely in the goldmine

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Das Boo posted:

hard agree.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just watched the season finale of Unicorn. They left one of these kinda frames in. Production frames?

Overall it felt pretty weak. The art was great but there was a lot of gestures towards lore and backstory but it was neither deep enough or interesting enough to grab me nor were they able to pull off "hinting at a deep lore to grab you" that some media can do.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Open Source Idiom posted:

[distant chanting:] cool world cool world cool world cool world

Clearly the people have spoken.

Warbird posted:

Don’t watch Cool World, read the Cool World thread in GBS that’s likely in the goldmine

As somebody who saw the "Holly Would If She Could" ad on the back of every single Marvel comic I picked up for most of 1992 - which basically felt like an eternity when I was 7 - I feel a responsibility to give Cool World a go one of these days.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Here's my hot take on Unicorn Eternal: Winston is the best character.

Once he becomes a werewolf the show finally started to make sense to me. Not only is the animation on him fantastic, but he gets the best jokes and the most pathos. His character motivation is "the woman I love has gone through a huge change and I don't understand it, but I want to understand it and I want to be able to help her with what she's going through in a meaningful way" and that's somehow so much more engaging than all the deep lore and epic evil battle stuff. What's more, he makes Emma/Melinda and the blue elf guy more interesting whenever he's around them because he's able to draw some real emotions out of both of them. I'm not usually a fan of love triangles, but the interplay between the three of them is easily the best part of the show. It's engaging, it's fun, and it's too bad the rest of the plot isn't like that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Agreed; Winston is basically the only one who brings it close to working because he's a character you can understand and he's more flexible than the other characters in terms of trying to make the situation work. Not just as a show, but in the reality of the show, he's the only one trying to meaningfully help Emma/Melinda and it balances the dynamics of the group while the others either just rigidly go "We must do X" or insist they must stop fighting without making any actual effort to stop their conflict.

Maybe the second season will be better, but again it's so strange how this feels so thin compared to something like Primal which had almost no dialogue.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i could not possibly be less interested in the Xth reboot of one of my favorite shows. as far as i'm concerned futurama is a tight 4 seasons.

I'm somewhat interested.....but my excitement level is low. I didn't even see every CC episode. That said.....the original run on Fox is imo.....the best animated show of all time. I just disregard everything that came after (when determining legacy) as it was never the same after it was cancelled by Fox.

Also....another really funny season of 'Ten Year Old Tom'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There are shows that would kill to have a single finale as good as any of Futurama's four. It's unfair, I tell ya.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Also....another really funny season of 'Ten Year Old Tom'.

I'm most of the way through the season and I have to say its really good. Shout out to the scene where Dakota's dad is doing Tom's Mom's taxes. "If she's sucking your dad she's draining your finaces!"

The grocery clerk is another amazing one-off character that tells Tom to do the stupidiest poo poo. "If you're old enough to push a cart you're old enough to party!"

Its hard to talk about because there is so much good poo poo and episodes are so densely packed with jokes.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's really good. It is such a simple concept to start with a mundane situation and escalate to madness, but it works every time. Tom's muted reactions to everything going on around him is great.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It's really good. It is such a simple concept to start with a mundane situation and escalate to madness, but it works every time. Tom's muted reactions to everything going on around him is great.

I was thinking how I would explain the plot of "Filthy Tom" to someone but there is just so loving much that happens I would sound like a crazy person.

I love that its almost always adults telling Tom to do these insane things. All the adults just ignore him when he says no because he's 10.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
As funny as it has been.....still hasn't reached the levels of 'The Life and Times of Tim'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking how I would explain the plot of "Filthy Tom" to someone but there is just so loving much that happens I would sound like a crazy person.

I love that its almost always adults telling Tom to do these insane things. All the adults just ignore him when he says no because he's 10.

Season 2 episodes definitely feel like they spiral out of control more often.

Edit: Watching the Bowling League episode and I literally said "He's going to have a heart attack on stage" right before the motivational speaker dropped dead from a heart attack.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 3, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

As funny as it has been.....still hasn't reached the levels of 'The Life and Times of Tim'.

I have to agree. That show was special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1675998224723894278