Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

I said come in! posted:

lmao so completely on brand for Elon Musk to hire someone who is not qualified. I still think Elon's purchase of twitter was entirely to sabotage the platform and company, and i've only continued to see evidence to support that, its not even a conspiracy at this point. Or is he just truly this bad at running a business?

He doesn't care if she is qualified, its all just a pissing contest. I mean he still going to run the company she just a face for the CEO position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lmao so completely on brand for Elon Musk to hire someone who is not qualified.
He is not qualified so why would anyone else need to be?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think Elon is just dumb conservative white guy enough to assume that he represents some sort of silent/suppressed majority and if he tweaks twitter to his own personal preferences enough, somehow success will poop out the other end.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

concerning

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
elon will just tell her to ignore her non-compete clause, it's simple. just assume the rules don't apply to you and if you're wealthy enough, you're right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

elon will just tell her to ignore her non-compete clause, it's simple. just assume the rules don't apply to you and if you're wealthy enough, you're right.

Has anything ever come of the person he fired for their disability?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I said come in! posted:

He unfired him and spent a week desperately trying to make friends with him by relentlessly replying to every tweet he wrote lol

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I said come in! posted:

He went quietly, I think. He still posts on Twitter but Elon has stopped bothering to engage with him.

it would seem to be the case that the guy is just A Nice GuyTM and consequently Elon has just run roughshod over him. The people who were invested in the guy making a stand have lost interest, the news cycle has moved onto something else. All a bit of a drat squib ending.

Of course it's possible Elon paid him off but I find that exceptionally hard to believe given it seems he had to be convinced (whilst over a barrel) to pay Google less than half of this guy's reputed payoff threshold for vital services.

EDIT: It's also possible Elon rehired him but he doesn't appear to have any affiliation with Twitter anymore so *shrug*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

He unfired him and spent a week desperately trying to make friends with him by relentlessly replying to every tweet he wrote lol

haha I love this.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Elon Musk 2013: He's gonna take us to Mars. High tech transport, tunnels! Space Internet, yay!

Elon Musk 2023: Is he *really* this stupid? Or is he acting in order to... um... elite cabal something something... can rich people ALSO be stupid? but then how they rich
Musk has single-handedly demolished this popular narrative for a considerable percentage of the population. I wonder if the other riches are mad at him about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

haha I love this.

has any of musk's targets of simping ever posted back at all?

his dad : zero
donnie : zero
iceland guy: zero.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 29, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

has any of musk's targets of simping ever posted back at all?

his dad : zero
donnie : zero
iceland guy: zero.

King, unfortunately

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

yook posted:

I think Elon is just dumb conservative white guy enough to assume that he represents some sort of silent/suppressed majority and if he tweaks twitter to his own personal preferences enough, somehow success will poop out the other end.

It's this

See him and Rogan and the other Turbo chuds who think everyone agrees with them about RFK

They are that loving stupid, they are just rich and no one ever tells them to their face they are stupid, or even no.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I said come in! posted:

lmao so completely on brand for Elon Musk to hire someone who is not qualified. I still think Elon's purchase of twitter was entirely to sabotage the platform and company, and i've only continued to see evidence to support that, its not even a conspiracy at this point. Or is he just truly this bad at running a business?

It's weird how much people will do backflips rather than just realize the world is fundamentally broken and unfair

No, a man who is this powerfully idiotic is absolutely the most wealthy person in society. A man this obviously stupid who is publicly making the biggest mistakes possible just keeps failing up because people worship the wealthy and decide he *must* be a genius because he's so rich. The dude was fired for incompetence from PayPal but because he reached the CEO class he had ownership stake and failed up on the IPO. The rich can't lose no matter how stupid they are.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
In a world where the woke mind virus is taking control

"Guess my gender motherfucker. Guess wrong and I shoot you in the face."

One man has the currency to take control of the world public Square

"Let that sink in!"

And he's fighting back one tweet at a time

"!"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Jelly posted:

It was a factor but the reason advertisers fled was historically high levels of brazen white supremacy.

It must be nice to believe this lol

e for content: I think suddenly losing access to your ad contacts, unclear pricing, (possible or actual) loss of access to customer service automation, etc... are all much bigger drivers. Nobody put the reason for discontinuing ad buys in their update to their manager as "white supremacy"

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 29, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

big black turnout posted:

It must be nice to believe this lol

e for content: I think suddenly losing access to your ad contacts, unclear pricing, (possible or actual) loss of access to customer service automation, etc... are all much bigger drivers. Nobody put the reason for discontinuing ad buys in their update to their manager as "white supremacy"
If you think the primary reason advertisers didn't pull out isn't because they were all being displayed next to prominent bigots due to failures in content moderation I legitimately don't know what planet you live on.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

there's also the large segment of the population that substitutes lazy jokes for a personality. if they can't repeat the latest "attack helicopter!!" joke they'd have nothing to say at all.
if they were more into pop culture they'd be nothing but an endless stream of movie quotes. instead they're really interesting and cool people.........NOT!!! haha my wife!

my wife... my wife... why did my wife leave me :(

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

In a world where the woke mind virus is taking control

"Guess my gender motherfucker. Guess wrong and I shoot you in the face."

One man has the currency to take control of the world public Square

"Let that sink in!"

And he's fighting back one tweet at a time

"!"

This Summer…

Woke

*glass breaks*

Goes

*more glass breaking*

Broke

*explosion noises*

*smash cut to Elon close-up*

“Uh, yes, I um, hehe, uuh, yea, uh”

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think it's accurate to call musk a boer. Boer means 'farmer' and basically refers to Afrikaans-speaking white South Africans. His mother was entirely Canadian born in Canada and his dad's mother was British and his dad's father was South African, but both of the dad's father's parents seemed to be English-speaking South Africans rather than Afrikaans-speaking.

All South Africans were forced to learn Afrikaans as a second language during apartheid but I'm pretty sure that's as far as Musk's Afrikaans goes: used in school and never again.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think most people see him as a boer in thought and practice (racist bigot).

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

That's what I'm thinking. I bet she told him and he didn't care - just said they'd post through it, gently caress the contract

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

kazil posted:

concerning

How long before elon begins spinning up fake ai users to post on twiter? Counting them as active users / user growth… committing a little fraud.

"IRL social posted:

Ironically, the social app IRL‘s users do not exist in real life.

An internal investigation by IRL’s board of directors found that 95% of the app’s reported 20 million users were “automated or from bots,” The Information first reported. So, after raising more than $200 million in venture capital, IRL is shutting down.

IRL was poised to become an event organizing alternative for Gen Z, who are using Facebook less and less. But after raising its SoftBank-led $170 million Series C round at a $1.17 billion valuation, the company’s internal troubles became more obvious.

Last year, IRL laid off 25% of its team, or around 25 employees. During the year prior, IRL had more than tripled its head count, so these cuts came as a surprise. In a note to employees, obtained by TechCrunch, former CEO and founder Abraham Shafi encouraged employees to “adapt” and “be disciplined,” citing that WhatsApp grew to 450 million users with a team of just 55.

“Becoming one of these iconic, impactful companies is akin to winning a gold medal in the Olympics. In fact, probably more challenging,” Shafi wrote in the memo, which was full of similarly outlandish analogies. “Like the Olympics, we know most people don’t want to be Olympians. In the same way, not everyone will want to walk the path we are walking. But for those that want to push their limits and find out what they are capable of, this culture is for you.”

In that same memo, Shafi said the company had “more than enough cash to last well into 2024.” An IRL employee told TechCrunch then that the company had more than $100 million in the bank. Though it’s unknown how much money IRL has left now, a company spokesperson told The Information that it would return its capital to shareholders.

Around the same time as these layoffs, IRL employees started doubting Shafi’s claim that the app had 20 million monthly active users; then the SEC began investigating whether IRL violated securities laws. By April, IRL’s board of directors suspended Shafi and appointed an acting CEO.

TechCrunch attempted to contact Shafi, as well as another IRL employee. Both of their IRL email addresses have been disabled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kazil posted:

concerning

10 PRINT "CONCERNING"

20 WAIT FOR NEW TWEET

30 GOTO 10

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Elon may not be a true Boer but he is a true bore

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Elon is a real boner

e:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Yacca Linda Water District

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DRINK ME posted:

How long before elon begins spinning up fake ai users to post on twiter? Counting them as active users / user growth… committing a little fraud.

I assumed this started before he even owned Twitter, seeing as he was trying to use the number of bot accounts as a way to get out of the purchase. I assume everything Elon says is projection.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I said come in! posted:

She may be perfectly qualified, she's just contractually obligated to not do a large part of the job, which is funnier really.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It'd arguably be the part of the job she's required to do since Musk is so bad at it himself and since he's essentially a co-CEO for everything else in all but name the only purpose to bringing her on in the first place.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Icept posted:

Yacca Linda Water District

"Richard Nixon rose, screaming, from the grave today at Yacca Linda."

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

kw0134 posted:

It'd arguably be the part of the job she's required to do since Musk is so bad at it himself and since he's essentially a co-CEO for everything else in all but name the only purpose to bringing her on in the first place.

Can you imagine trying to do a job where the owner is standing out front, waving his dick around and yelling slurs at passers-by and then he comes in and asks why you haven't made any money

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Teratrain posted:

Can you imagine trying to do a job where the owner is standing out front, waving his dick around and yelling slurs at passers-by and then he comes in and asks why you haven't made any money

Concerning

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1674545448441217027

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

concerning

Solid reporting there with the 'might be' undermining any sort of conclusion.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lmao imagine paying like $40 grand for a broken piece of poo poo.

Oh wait!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

holtemon posted:

Bing AI doesn't even have the time to make a 25,000 character post lol

It might be trying to write something with 25,000 characters as in personalities... try 5,000 words (should give you :airquote:around:airquote: 25,000 characters).

Kale
May 14, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Its to "rebalance the media" by turning it into yet another generic far right social media app.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Murdstone posted:

She may be perfectly qualified, she's just contractually obligated to not do a large part of the job, which is funnier really.

okay that is a better way of looking at it lol.

Kale posted:

Its to "rebalance the media" by turning it into yet another generic far right social media app.

In this regard he has wildly succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

concerning