Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Had to trim my pizza peel to fit in this lil pizza oven. Coming from baking in a normal oven, are there any special considerations for making a pizza to be baked in one of these things? (doughball mass, topping mass, hydration, etc.)

e: 5000!

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

HolHorsejob posted:

Coming from baking in a normal oven, are there any special considerations for making a pizza to be baked in one of these things? (doughball mass, topping mass, hydration, etc.)

Given you've had to reduce the size of your peel down I'm guessing you'll be making smallish pizzas so that will for sure reduce the dough mass if you were making bigger pizzas in a standard oven, but beyond that It's hard to tell what hydration and topping amounts without knowing what temperature that oven gets up to and what style you're aiming for.

If it can hit temps north of 400C you're in neapolitan territory, where lower hydration works well (60% or so) since you are cooking fast and the dough rises quickly enough that it doesn't need moisture to keep it soft long enough to rise. That comes with a need for smaller topping amounts and drier toppings (ie; more pulp and less liquid in the passata).

If it's not much hotter than a domestic oven (300C or so) then higher hydration (70%) lets you get a similar crust before it dries out in the necessarily longer cooking times. If it's really not better than a domestic you're better doing a double bake: Adding the tomato, baking until the crust is just coloring, and then adding the cheese to finish baking since otherwise the cheese will burn before the crust and base are cooked.

Both of those methods will get you a more neapolitan style pizza. If you're aiming for NY, taverna or the likes a lower temp is fine anyway and you can follow the usual recipes.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

StarkingBarfish posted:

Given you've had to reduce the size of your peel down I'm guessing you'll be making smallish pizzas so that will for sure reduce the dough mass if you were making bigger pizzas in a standard oven, but beyond that It's hard to tell what hydration and topping amounts without knowing what temperature that oven gets up to and what style you're aiming for.

If it can hit temps north of 400C you're in neapolitan territory, where lower hydration works well (60% or so) since you are cooking fast and the dough rises quickly enough that it doesn't need moisture to keep it soft long enough to rise. That comes with a need for smaller topping amounts and drier toppings (ie; more pulp and less liquid in the passata).

If it's not much hotter than a domestic oven (300C or so) then higher hydration (70%) lets you get a similar crust before it dries out in the necessarily longer cooking times. If it's really not better than a domestic you're better doing a double bake: Adding the tomato, baking until the crust is just coloring, and then adding the cheese to finish baking since otherwise the cheese will burn before the crust and base are cooked.

Both of those methods will get you a more neapolitan style pizza. If you're aiming for NY, taverna or the likes a lower temp is fine anyway and you can follow the usual recipes.

On my last pizza, I managed 500C when it tossed it in. Ended up with a burnt bottom by the time I got solid browning on top.

My dough is about 70% hydration and I found that 250g was a bit excessive. I gotta work on my gluten development, cause I had trouble getting them thin, and the pizzas were not cooked enough on the inside.

Bottom line, getting the top and bottom to cook evenly is a pain, and this machine adds a third layer to time against the other two. That aside, it's a fun little machine and the pizza was really good.

Managing a wood fire adds some complication to the whole affair. After initial preheating, I found I had to fuel it once after pulling the pizza out and once before putting the next one in. The wood pellets were adding an unpleasant aroma if I didn't give them time to char a bit before pitching the pizza in. Would charcoal help with that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Definitely my favorite Detroit style yet

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

goddamn it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
ogopogo, I think my wife finally put her foot down and decided she didn't like that Detroit pizza. I think the biggest issue is the hydration. I found that at really high hydrations with bread that you get what I would otherwise call a "gelatinized crumb" that appears to be really wet even if it isn't. It makes her think it's raw, and she isn't into the kind of texture. I had scaled back on wet bread doughs in part because of that, and why I stopped at 65% hydration for regular pizza dough. She also thought it was too oddly brown, which I think is some function between the sourdough and the olive oil, but I can't be too sure. So I guess I need to go to, I dunno, 80% hydration, nix the sourdough, and maybe use a neutral oil or go totally lean for the long ferment.

I guess I can't be too surprised, but I figured I'd report back for ogopogo's "market research." I imagine my own Detroit pizza's are nowhere near his, but it's enough that I imagine some customers would be turned off by it (even if they won't say anything). It's kind of like in that world where guests are just happy they're getting pizza when you serve then Neapolitans but you find out later that they really wanted New York pizzas.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

ogopogo, I think my wife finally put her foot down and decided she didn't like that Detroit pizza. I think the biggest issue is the hydration. I found that at really high hydrations with bread that you get what I would otherwise call a "gelatinized crumb" that appears to be really wet even if it isn't. It makes her think it's raw, and she isn't into the kind of texture. I had scaled back on wet bread doughs in part because of that, and why I stopped at 65% hydration for regular pizza dough. She also thought it was too oddly brown, which I think is some function between the sourdough and the olive oil, but I can't be too sure. So I guess I need to go to, I dunno, 80% hydration, nix the sourdough, and maybe use a neutral oil or go totally lean for the long ferment.

I guess I can't be too surprised, but I figured I'd report back for ogopogo's "market research." I imagine my own Detroit pizza's are nowhere near his, but it's enough that I imagine some customers would be turned off by it (even if they won't say anything). It's kind of like in that world where guests are just happy they're getting pizza when you serve then Neapolitans but you find out later that they really wanted New York pizzas.

Right on! Every pizza is a chance to tweak and improve. And to be fair, I haven’t done Detroits since last summer, we just don’t have the capacity to do them full on at the restaurant.
If I did them again I’d definitely dial it down to an 80% or so hydration. Anything north of 85% and it takes just the right combo of time and cooking to really nail the bake to achieve light, airy crust that isn’t gummy.
Since then I’ve just worked on my focaccia game, which really helps me understand that zone of hydration that’s 90%+, so I definitely feel like I have a better understanding of Detroits and Sicilians when I get back into them.

I have a million pics of pizza and stuff we’ve being doing but I don’t want to sign up for an Imgur account :/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Human Tornada posted:

Definitely my favorite Detroit style yet

Fuckin hell.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ogopogo posted:

Since then I’ve just worked on my focaccia game, which really helps me understand that zone of hydration that’s 90%+, so I definitely feel like I have a better understanding of Detroits and Sicilians when I get back into them.

Regarding focaccia, are you talking about dousing the dough in salt water while baking?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding focaccia, are you talking about dousing the dough in salt water while baking?

Not exactly, more just playing with 90-100% hydration focaccias with some different flours. Getting these lovely bakes, nice and fluffy and light. I’ve settled on a 92% hydration that we like a lot for our sandwiches and croutons. I tend to leave the salt wash out so that the focaccia isn’t overly salty in contrast to the food we put on it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

HolHorsejob posted:

On my last pizza, I managed 500C when it tossed it in. Ended up with a burnt bottom by the time I got solid browning on top.

My dough is about 70% hydration and I found that 250g was a bit excessive. I gotta work on my gluten development, cause I had trouble getting them thin, and the pizzas were not cooked enough on the inside.

Bottom line, getting the top and bottom to cook evenly is a pain, and this machine adds a third layer to time against the other two. That aside, it's a fun little machine and the pizza was really good.

Managing a wood fire adds some complication to the whole affair. After initial preheating, I found I had to fuel it once after pulling the pizza out and once before putting the next one in. The wood pellets were adding an unpleasant aroma if I didn't give them time to char a bit before pitching the pizza in. Would charcoal help with that?

500C is on the high side- I try to aim at about 450-470 for the dome and 420-430 for the stone. At those temps lower hydration will be easier to work with- you'll get a dough that is more forgiving of your kneading and develops a good gluten structure more easily (or might not matter so much if your gluten development isn't all the way there). I find it much easier to stretch thin and launch at those hydrations too.

on the wood-fired side of things, I've only ever worked with electric so I can't comment much there.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

A failed launch is the worst feeling in the world.

I've been using All Trumps and I swear some bags have more gluten than others. My recipe has always been 70% hydration but starting a few weeks ago with a new flour bag, I've had unmanageably sticky dough and messed up pizzas. I tried 64% hydration for the weekend bakes and it went much better, though I had to reduce cook time by ~20s.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What do you think the odds are that the dedicated pizza option of this Bosch gas oven is actually good for homemade pizza?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Apologies for the photo dump, it’s been a while. We’ve been open almost 8 months now, and it feels like it’s been barely a minute. Thankful to all the goons who’ve stopped in!
And I’m sorry to the goon who came in tonight and I was gone! My wife said you got a few pies to try out, I hope they were good :)

NY Pepp

NY White with pepperoncinis, jalapeños, red onions, and fontina cheese

The Pastrami Burger

The Blue Blazer - Togarashi fried chicken thigh on arugula, topped with fontina cheese, speck, and house made blueberry lavender jam

NY White pie with spinach, red onion, and confit garlic

Elote fries with carnitas and our Elote pizza

The Stewart - Sausage, Pepps, Chili Flake, Garlic Oil, Basil, Parm - finished with ricotta dollops.

The Yubano - our take on the Cuban sandwich. Sourdough bread we bake in house, mustard sauce, mojo pork, Swiss cheese, capicola, and house made pickles

Good ol’ cheeseburger with pickles, burger sauce, and grilled onions

Kale Caesar Salad with grilled chicken thigh. Caesar dressing made in-house with anchovies, a real slapper.

My pizza lead sliding a couple pies into the inferno

A beautiful Margherita pizza

Thai chili confit chicken wings

Pizza line in action

Pizzas everywhere!

Nothing beats a slice and a glass of wine

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hot drat! That saves me the trouble of uploading my mediocre pics from tonight.

Got a Margherita, marinara and Stewart. All excellent. Toppings are all very good, but legit, the crust your pies have is straight up the best I have ever had anywhere. The thinnest layer of shatteringly crisp, with a super light interior, and perfect sourdough flavor. Just unreal.

I have eaten a LOT of pizza in a lot of places, but nothing compares.

Edit: I’ll be back in September for more.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Hot drat! That saves me the trouble of uploading my mediocre pics from tonight.

Got a Margherita, marinara and Stewart. All excellent. Toppings are all very good, but legit, the crust your pies have is straight up the best I have ever had anywhere. The thinnest layer of shatteringly crisp, with a super light interior, and perfect sourdough flavor. Just unreal.

I have eaten a LOT of pizza in a lot of places, but nothing compares.

Edit: I’ll be back in September for more.

My dude, thank you so much!! It means a lot to hear that. It’s hard to describe what our pizza is truly like, so when I get this kind of reaction it all makes it worth it. So glad you enjoyed it, and I’ll be sure to be there when you’re back in a few months.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good lord

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ogopogo posted:

My pizza lead sliding a couple pies into the inferno
https://i.imgur.com/x0YFmLB.mp4

A beautiful Margherita pizza
https://i.imgur.com/QilhJHc.mp4

Pizza line in action
https://i.imgur.com/Afwb2Cz.mp4

Pizzas everywhere!
https://i.imgur.com/Aj3vgtJ.mp4

Your videos weren't loading for me, so I had to fix them. Because, God drat, I want to see!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm not a jealous person but I'm jealous of the goon who's living this pizza restaurant dream!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just ate lunch but I'd still like to eat one of those pizzas

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be in vegas in August, who do I ask for to see if you're there?

I would prefer not to yell IS OGOPOGO HERE, I'M FROM THE INTERNET but if that's what it takes

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks y’all! It’s been a hell of a journey so far, that’s for sure.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm going to be in vegas in August, who do I ask for to see if you're there?

I would prefer not to yell IS OGOPOGO HERE, I'M FROM THE INTERNET but if that's what it takes

While I do love watching people awkwardly try to explain something awful to my FOH staff, you can always just ask for Alex :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Literally the best goon project

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yelp reviews: great place, but so many customers come in and ask if there are stairs for some reason.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think you’d get great traction by telling the staff “nice place but the pies sure are something awful huh”

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
here's some pizza content, made this the other day

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

ogopogo posted:

Thanks y’all! It’s been a hell of a journey so far, that’s for sure.

While I do love watching people awkwardly try to explain something awful to my FOH staff, you can always just ask for Alex :)

I asked the person helping me if (other dude doing work) was Mr. Yukon Pizza. It worked.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

All of that looks incredible ogopogo! Def gonna hit you guys up next time I'm in Vegas.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So, I impulse purchased a couple used 12" pizza hut pans, and they have a pretty heavy layer of "seasoning."

I've scrubbed them down with soap, water, and barkeeper's friend, should I try to burn off the seasoning or leave them as is? What do?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't think you're getting that off without heavy chemicals or a sandblaster.

edit: lasers?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
sharp sticks, orbital lasers, nukes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bengy81 posted:

So, I impulse purchased a couple used 12" pizza hut pans, and they have a pretty heavy layer of "seasoning."

I've scrubbed them down with soap, water, and barkeeper's friend, should I try to burn off the seasoning or leave them as is? What do?

Are you trying to make them decorative? If you want to use them, the seasoning was a feature, not a bug.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Are you trying to make them decorative? If you want to use them, the seasoning was a feature, not a bug.

Yeah, now they need to be seasoned again so the pizza doesn’t stick.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Ok, I'm gonna leave them as is, just wasn't sure if unknown seasoning was something to be concerned with.

Gonna make some badass pan pizzas this weekend, trying to cheer up my wife. She was supposed to go visit a friend but the flight was cancelled this morning. I'm planning an Old Chicago style thai pie and a better than pizza hut cheese.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

What benefit if any does incorporating one of those thin aluminum coupe style pizza pans into your cooking process have? Are they useful for tavern style or something? I have one but can't remember why I bought it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

What benefit if any does incorporating one of those thin aluminum coupe style pizza pans into your cooking process have? Are they useful for tavern style or something? I have one but can't remember why I bought it.

They’re for pan pizzas like Pizza Hut used to make. It’s a buttered pan and it crisped up and made buttery and crispy sides, dressed like a regular pizza, but halfway to a Chicago deep dish in calories. It’s like a Detroit pizza married a hand tossed and they had a wonderful child that kept the cheese off the edges.

Tavern style you’d want a flat pizza pan or right on a stone base.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm a Neapolitan kind of person, but the rest of my family is all about pan pizza. You can do the exact same thing in a cast iron pan, these just weigh a little less, and are easier to store.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Maybe I used the wrong term then but my pan is flat, it's this one. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-tp14-14-wide-rim-pizza-pan/124TP14.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I mean, I just use that for cutting my pizza and serving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sausage and giardiniera tavern style first attempt.