Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I got autobuild really late but tbh it didnt really bother me. Relying on my gacha pulls was fun enough and it kept me using lots of types of components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Giggy posted:

The hover bike is great for the depths but I'm not sure using it early on the surface is a good idea. You end up skipping a lot of good poo poo.

Yeah haha I almost wish it was a progress unlock or something. I was lucky I only discovered after having done a ton of the depths and surface in more creative and varied ways. Twofan bikes are amazing, but too amazing, since more elaborate contraptions immediately become just a goofy for-kicks messaround rather than genuine attempts at ingenuity for one specific situations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also it wasn't until I got the fan bike that I realized that you could use Zonai charges to actually reset your battery pack and keep flying :doh::shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Let's just say I was using a shitload of large Zonai charges in gacha machines for the past 140 hours.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I thought the joke was supposed to be that because Zora age more slowly than humans, they were actually childhood friends at one point, which would still be a bit weird but make some sense. And just now I looked it up and it wasn't that

gently caress this I'm not thinking about it any more

iirc they were completely platonic pen pals in the Japanese version of BoTW but the translation added the fact that the zora girl had a crush on the hylian dude. Its possible the translators just had the raw text in front of them and didn’t realize what the zora girl actually looked like

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For my initial experience, I basically had the mindset of "if I don't have the paraglider I shouldn't explore yet" so I followed the story till I did, curious as I was about everything around me. I generally kept to the book with my plot progression and I feel I had a better experience for it.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Augus posted:

iirc they were completely platonic pen pals in the Japanese version of BoTW but the translation added the fact that the zora girl had a crush on the hylian dude. Its possible the translators just had the raw text in front of them and didn’t realize what the zora girl actually looked like

Doesn't the BotW quest say that she is an adult but like, hit the Zora growth spurt late or has dwarfism or something?

I mean, if you were to ask me "should I gently caress this fish that looks like a kid?" my answer would be no, even if the fish that looks like a kid is older than you.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
So by pure stubbornness I got both shrines in the thunderhead area of the sky before finding out later there was a process that gets rid of the clouds.

lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol my friend just texted me that his kids overwrote his save like 40 hours in to start a new game. loving owned. Crazy how easy it is to blow away your progress.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Let's just say I was using a shitload of large Zonai charges in gacha machines for the past 140 hours.

naw, that's the best use for them. fat stacks of zonai devices is ideal and you basically have more natural battery than you need halfway through the first colour

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Docjowles posted:

lol my friend just texted me that his kids overwrote his save like 40 hours in to start a new game. loving owned. Crazy how easy it is to blow away your progress.

"WHY'D YOU DO IT"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Doesn't the BotW quest say that she is an adult but like, hit the Zora growth spurt late or has dwarfism or something?

don’t think so

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, I did it again: ran into the two archery training shrines back-to-back, halfway through the game when I have an inventory full of bows several times stronger than the ones they reward you with. I don't think the training is worth using a shrine in the first place, but even ignoring that, they're way across the map from the starting area. I don't even know how you could possibly manage to get that far without picking up a bow.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:lmao:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Holy poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Kass DLC looking real good

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I was watching someone stream ToTK because this game has absorbed me completely, and in the scene where they activate all the towers, the switch Josha uses looks straight-up like a repurposed Guardian. Didn't spot it the first time around!

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
I think it makes a guardian noise that Link jumps at too? I certainly did.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I checked last night and I have about 100 hours on this game. I finished BotW in about 100 hours 100%. I haven’t even unlocked the whole map yet in this one, I’ve got maybe half the Depths, and I’ve only done two temples.

It’s just incredible how massive this game is. I’m exploring a lot and in no rush to finish but still I was surprised I had that much time in for how much I know is left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murdstone posted:

I checked last night and I have about 100 hours on this game. I finished BotW in about 100 hours 100%. I haven’t even unlocked the whole map yet in this one, I’ve got maybe half the Depths, and I’ve only done two temples.

It’s just incredible how massive this game is. I’m exploring a lot and in no rush to finish but still I was surprised I had that much time in for how much I know is left.

It is funny how before it came out people were insisting it was just DLC and even once it leaked you had people coming into the thread insisting it was bad and empty because it used the same world map.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Ok I feel real dumb but how do you attach wheels to a board that already has two wheels on one side and is tilted? No matter what I do I cannot get them on straight. Something like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Harriet Carker posted:

Ok I feel real dumb but how do you attach wheels to a board that already has two wheels on one side and is tilted? No matter what I do I cannot get them on straight. Something like this

I've been flipping them up on their sides and putting the wheels on at the top.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Or ultrahand the body onto wheel 3 as a scaffold, and attach wheel 4, then ultrahand back onto the ground to attach wheel 3

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Those both make a lot of sense. I am bad at ultrahand.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wiggle it around, there should be two glowy yellow dots that tell you what points will connect. I've gotten it to autoconnect big wheels to the corners of big boards properly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On those big wheels, the bit that sticks out is pretty good about trying to ultra hand onto the side of a platform even if its lower than it. Once its connected to one thing tho it is a lot harder because the other side of it retracts.

Flipping the vehicle on its side first is a good habit tho because literally nothing else is as forgiving as the big wheels

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah, my major gripe with building and why I tried to avoid it is attachments seemed very finicky a lot of the time and having to waste another few minutes each time a wheel or fan attached at a slightly bad angle frustrated me when I could have been halfway to my destination already.

e: obviously the major downside of this is feeling like I didn't get the most out of the game because I don't have the wherewithal or patience to build anything more complex than a fanplane.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 30, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wrestling with the mechanics is to me a lot of what makes building a fun subgame. Like you can think about this on M+KB and the level of precision you could offer is kind of insane but making crap that's "good enough" in TotK and screwing up joins repeatedly is part of the fun. It sounds like a cope but I believe it.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If you spend a little bit of time managing your auto build favorites, it removes a lot of the slog. You will build a lot of the same stuff, so after you build it the first time just make sure to favorite it in your autobuild.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

With the wheels there are upsides as well as down. The big wheel connects easily and the small wheel much less so, but that's because the small wheel has a shroud that you can connect things to without interfering with the wheel's operation. Overall I feel like the building is excellent, both in a "this is 10x more than I could've imagined they'd go for" and general feel way.

I suspect that green goop solves a lot of problems that devs who wanted clean connections got stuck on, but mostly it just works to a degree that encompasses some really breathtakingly stupid ideas which is about the highest goal you can have for a building system. If it was any other company they'd be licensing it out or charging a ransom to send people to implement it, but who knows with Nintendo, this may be the last we ever see of it and the Switch 2 may be toroidal with cardboard controllers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the floppiness of the green goop more than stronger connections. I love every time I build a flying machine out of too many parts and it's just wobbling around all over the place even as it (barely) successfully takes flight, it makes it feel weirdly realistic even though the whole thing is insane.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Harriet Carker posted:

Find a gumball machine with Stakes. Toss in like 25 zonai charges to get a bunch. Always use a Stake like a jack, it keeps it perfectly level and you can grab the stake and wiggle it when you're done to detach it and slide it out from underneath whatever it is. This will make building way, way easier because the wheels will snap automatically to where they want to go when building and any plank like that will let you put them in 4 uniform spots. I believe the islands above Faron will have one that dispenses them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Harriet Carker posted:

Just build it wonky. Embrace the jank

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It definitely gives me the impression that this here is something that I would actually create if tasked with doing so. Just an unholy mess of too much glue and parts added just to balance out other parts until it hits "good enough for the job, barely" status and I can rubber stamp it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Now that I’m bubble frog hunting yunobo is back on the a team, his lack of cooldown on zonai machines is :kiss:

Everything just blows up

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Is it recoverable via NSO cloud saves?

My 9 year old and I share a Switch, and he plays TOTK. I am terrified he will forget to swap users or fat finger New Game by mistake.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
was reading up on some japanese history stuff and drat this looks familiar lol:

not saying ToTK stole everything from history but it totally did (I'm being sarcastic).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

LifeSunDeath posted:

not saying ToTK stole everything from history but it totally did (I'm being sarcastic).

time to use this magatama Secret Stone to determine what Purah is lying about

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LifeSunDeath posted:

what's this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spanish Manlove posted:

what's this from?

antinquity