Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

They slotted it into a 1h 20 minute block. (followed by a 35 minute block of Lower Decks), and then it resumes normally.

CTV SciFi seems like a niche channel without a lot of programming. They can move things around.

For its entire existence back to its inception as Space Channel, CTV SciFi's primary purpose was to be a first-run rebroadcaster for SyFy Channel shows and reruns of easy to license shows like the Star Trek and Stargate franchises. Then when SyFy got out of the business of making and airing science fiction television, they became a first-run rebroadcasted for Doctor Who and the Arrowverse and other such sci fi/superhero fare before Modern Trek came along.

CTV somehow has four entire specialty cable channels for Sci Fi, Comedy, Drama and "Life" and there's like five shows between them. CTV Comedy for example is just endless reruns of The Big Bang Theory for 26 hours a day. They're all kept alive because Bell Media is one of the largest telcom companies in the country and have the cash to just slush around to its subsidiaries like that because oligopoly, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

CTV Comedy for example is just endless reruns of The Big Bang Theory for 26 hours a day.

Is this some sort of ransom thing in which like they'll keep doing that until the Canadian populace sends them a million dollar or something?

poo poo Canada's made a just a whole bunch of classic comedies, why would they import that garbage. :psyduck:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"This was all supposed to happen in 1992!" and "I've been trapped here for 30 years!" speaks more to the non-linear nature of time, and the consequences of dates and events shifting around the prime timeline due to all the goddamn temporal shenanigans happening for hundreds of years more than it speaks to "The Romulan lady was in a Groundhog Day style time loop for 3 decades."

She was probably sent to 1992 to accomplish her mission, only to find out that the timeline decided to push the Eugenics Wars 30-50 years forwards in time, and she was stuck there twiddling her thumbs all that time.

Also, for a Romulan assassin, she sure did acclimate to the Earth lingo and behavior of the time. Never thought i'd see a Romulan rant about internet memes and police brutality and UFOs and timecrimes. Now I just imagine some Romulan stranded in time, having to get a job and sitting around eating takeout and watching human TV shows for 3 decades waiting for her mission to come true.

It was a good episode. The dude who played Kirk had way more to do than the brief stuff we were handed last season, and as others have said, Christing Chong is an exceptional actress.

TL, DR Version: Strange New Worlds GOOD.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I demand to see Titus Andromedon hanging out on a spaceship

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Star Trek: Toronto. It's a sitcom where one character is a romulan and has to blend in with the rest of society. Shenanigans ensue.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
In a Star Trek about time travel secret wars the least believable thing was a bridge from Toronto to the US, and having that mean anything at all diplomatically, considering the border situation between Canada and the US.

Pretty good episode though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pyroi posted:

Star Trek: Toronto. It's a sitcom where one character is a romulan and has to blend in with the rest of society. Shenanigans ensue.

That's already kind of Resident Alien.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Romulan lady landed in 1992. You know what started the following year? The X-Files. She fell in love with it, and went full deep cover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Romulan lady landed in 1992. You know what started the following year? The X-Files. She fell in love with it, and went full deep cover.

She loves that Dulmer and Lucsly

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

She loves that Dulmer and Lucsly

Oh yeah, I noticed in the subtitles, the agent at the end was called Ymaley, which felt like another anagram.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
There's something that irritates me about most time travel/alternate history plots, so I quickly developed some low expectations for the episode. But that ended up being... surprisingly good. Mainly carried by the phenomenal cast as with other episodes, lots of good little touches and lore references without being obnoxious about it. Stuff like Kirk being a chess shark is fun, as was the name riffing. Some real emotional pathos at the end, poor La'an. :(

The name Noonien-Singh being unfamiliar to alt-Kirk was some good foreshadowing. After La'an offers up "Benedictus" as a hypothetical middle name for Kirk's brother I was kind of hoping that was foreshadowing a Benedict Cumberbatch cameo as Khan, but oh well. Pelia being in a pre-engineering career was a good gag for a nigh-immortal person; I'm still not a fan of the whole accent/schtick but the character herself is growing on me. And alt-Kirk dying as a result of his bluff was awesome. You either die a hero or you blip out of existence when the timeline changes.

Second episode in a row with some lackluster fight choreography, at least this was much briefer.

If Christina Chong's dog doesn't make another appearance this season I will burn this mofo to the ground.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really need an episode called "My Two Spocks" where we have Kelvin Spock and SNW Spock in a misadventure in the Mirror Universe using TOS footage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, it only took 3 tries, but we finally got an Indian actor playing Khan.

Considering how many South Asian people there are in Toronto, it makes sense. Though I had to laugh the secret lab was in the ROM, hell I laughed at a bunch of stuff in the episode as I used to work in that general area and am very familiar with that part of Toronto. Never ate at the Lakeshore but went by it a lot. It bother me Kirk didn't put anything on his street meat.

I like to think that the image the Romulan showed them of the Warbird was a test; the rest of her pictures were pretty "hey look at this weird thing" and then suddenly you have a wiki page image of a Warbird. Yea she was using that to sniff out if these people were from the Future to stop her.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The discussion we’ve been having about this episode is kind of funny considering, and this spoiler isn’t Star Trek related so be wary before reading it. It’s literally the same thing as Indiana Jones.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
So was 90's Romulan chick intended to be portrayed as having enhanced strength? She grabs La'an by the throat during their fight in a way that seemed to imply it.

I know some of the TOS novels explicitly stated that Romulans had Vulcan-like enhanced strength but I feel like the depiction of Romulans across the shows has been less clear on that subject.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

My new headcanons:

- Khan was destined to be a decent guy until La'an accidentally framed him for murdering the security guards by leaving the gun in his room.

- Carol Kane chose that accent so she can work heavily buzzed if she wants to.

EDIT: I used to live in Toronto, but haven't been there in 15 years. This episode was one big game of "Guess which changes were made by Star Trek and which ones were made in real life"

Hispanic! At The Disco fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 30, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Wait a minute…

Oh, goddamit, Pelia is just a Highlander. There are now Highlanders in Star Trek.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
I actually liked this episode quite a lot. Not usually a fan of time travel but I thought this one was pretty good. Lots of really fun gags for what was otherwise a very serious episode, too.

Also glad to finally get some Canadian representation in Star Trek but why'd it have to be Toronto? Gross. I know its filmed there.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Super Deuce posted:

If this was '90s Trek episode, as in without the modern style of shooting a show, I'd agree with everyone that it's a top tier episode. The charm parts worked wonderfully, Kirk thinking it's New York, the clothing store scene, the kiss. The montages didn't work for me, the car chase didn't work for me, and the gunplay didn't work at all for me.

Maybe it wasn't Better Call Saul quality, but few things (and extremely few production crews) are up to that challenge. As a Star Trek episode, it was top-tier.

This episode really impressed me, gave me a lot of hope for SNW that I was holding back on giving. We have a take on an old story - this is clearly meant to be reminiscent of City on the Edge of Forever, it reflects those beats extremely well, but it finds new, creative ways to express them. I hate knee-jerk nostalgia, but I love a great homage. It moves at a fast clip and still is nimble enough to maintain a romantic side-plot that doesn't feel egregiously forced. I'm even somewhat more impressed by how effortlessly it deals with the idea of shifting canon: to me an amazingly well-thought-out bit of the episode that also wouldn't seem like absolute gibberish to a non-fan.

Go back to watch any great episode of TNG and you'll see that they're still like stage plays. They were great stories but Star Trek has never been at the top of the TV production game. Yeah, some things were sloppy - how could they afford such a lavish suite with just cash? But these are fridge thoughts. They don't really matter.

We got a good episode here. A really good one. The pedantic poo poo, let that slide. Four years from now when there's no Star Trek available anywhere you'll make an off-hand comment about how well done this episode was. We might as well appreciate when we're getting really good stuff rather than complain about it not being perfect.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait a minute…

Oh, goddamit, Pelia is just a Highlander. There are now Highlanders in Star Trek.

Well now I'm excited for Clancy Brown to guest star in a future episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Why not? Temporal Investigations, after all, is basically Quantum Leap. Star Trek's a wide enough playing field to do both and more without it feeling absolutely anachronistic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So am I the only one who caught the Dr. Keeler soda ad in the background of their first scene in Toronto?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Penitent posted:

So was 90's Romulan chick intended to be portrayed as having enhanced strength? She grabs La'an by the throat during their fight in a way that seemed to imply it.

I know some of the TOS novels explicitly stated that Romulans had Vulcan-like enhanced strength but I feel like the depiction of Romulans across the shows has been less clear on that subject.

Honestly Romulans and Vulcans should practically be the same race, they've only been apart for a few centuries. The shows absolutely do not depict this, but if they retcon it to be the case I'd be for it.

Also as a Canadian I can confirm that this episode was great on its own merits, but yes it will also forever be a favourite because Canada.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Echoing everyone about Christina Chong being just the best, btw. There was a romcom quality to this episode that made it fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orthanc6 posted:

Honestly Romulans and Vulcans should practically be the same race, they've only been apart for a few centuries. The shows absolutely do not depict this, but if they retcon it to be the case I'd be for it.

Also as a Canadian I can confirm that this episode was great on its own merits, but yes it will also forever be a favourite because Canada.

I always thought it was a melodramatic thing, like a kid saying he's not even part of this family anymore when he throws a fit or does a little kid runaway. Just insisting they are different races because it's so inconceivable to the other to practice their respective gimmicks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, the gag with Pelia where La'an needs an Engineer, realizes Pelia is around in that time, tracks her down, convinces her to help them, and THEN finds out Pelia hasn't actually learned poo poo about engineering yet was great, as was the reveal of exactly what The Department of Archeology actually was.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TomR posted:

In a Star Trek about time travel secret wars the least believable thing was a bridge from Toronto to the US, and having that mean anything at all diplomatically, considering the border situation between Canada and the US.

Pretty good episode though.

Toronto is literally 3 hours from the closest US city by car. I didn't hear that in this episode; is that seriously what was said, because, uh....

I mean, it wouldn't even make any sense; Windsor links 2 ways to Detroit and is getting a 3rd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, the gag with Pelia where La'an needs an Engineer, realizes Pelia is around in that time, tracks her down, convinces her to help them, and THEN finds out Pelia hasn't actually learned poo poo about engineering yet was great, as was the reveal of exactly what The Department of Archeology actually was.

I loved that. I also thought a trope reversal was going to be Kirk getting his rear end handed to him in chess immediately, and then they just get the money someway else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

swickles posted:

I loved that. I also thought a trope reversal was going to be Kirk getting his rear end handed to him in chess immediately, and then they just get the money someway else.

Granted, that was alternate Kirk, but regular Kirk kicks' Spock's butt at 3D chess. He's really good.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Darko posted:

Toronto is literally 3 hours from the closest US city by car. I didn't hear that in this episode; is that seriously what was said, because, uh....

I mean, it wouldn't even make any sense; Windsor links 2 ways to Detroit and is getting a 3rd.

I was wondering where the bridge would even go? Slightly faster link to Buffalo? Whatever, it's silly but as a symbol of humanities growing unity, it's fine. A little on the nose but we'll go with it.

Wait isn't there a devastating nuclear war in 20~ years?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

A.o.D. posted:

Granted, that was alternate Kirk, but regular Kirk kicks' Spock's butt at 3D chess. He's really good.

Right, but in this timeline they weren't friends, so maybe he never learned to play, but clearly did. Just thought they had been teasing and then tossing out a lot of things in the previous episode that they might continue.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Writers need to stop making their characters who are very obviously not good with people say it explicitly all the time. Also liked the car chase where the stunt driver was doing like 15mph. Pelia accent remains unbearable

Good episode that being said though, I enjoyed it. I liked the parallel to the Picard/Guinan thing from Time's Arrow.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 30, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gollom posted:

I was wondering where the bridge would even go? Slightly faster link to Buffalo? Whatever, it's silly but as a symbol of humanities growing unity, it's fine. A little on the nose but we'll go with it.

Wait isn't there a devastating nuclear war in 20~ years?

I'm glad I missed that dialogue as it would have taken me out of the episode. The U.S. is super connected to Canada via Detroit, Buffalo, and Seattle as major points. We even can go back and forth with a stamp on our drivers license. What is that thing?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Presumably the purpose of such a bridge would be to bypass the QEW that runs from Toronto to Niagara Falls and is a notorious traffic bottleneck for the trucks that serve cross border supply chains. Of course, you wouldn’t run it right through downtown, unless the Province was being run by a fuckhead Premier with a grudge against the city….

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally got a chance to watch and that was fuckin great, classic Trek time travel and alt-reality episode. Now that he's a little more actual Kirk, I'm digging Paul Wesley. Much in the way that Ethan Peck is believably playing Spock without imitating Leonard Nimoy, he figured out a way to capture Kirk without mimicking Shatner. As much as I am otherwise a Chirs Pine fan, I was much more convinced by Paul Wesley in this one episode than I was with Pine throughout the entirety of the Kelvin movies. Now uh, maybe from the 4th ep and beyond we can go find some Strange New Worlds!

Oh, and the Canadian Romulan didn't bother me at all, 30 years is actually a long time tbh. I was in Australia for a month and had already started picking up some things by the time I was leaving. My only disappointment was that the beanie wasn't actually disguising her eyebrows and ears, like I originally thought. Definitely seemed like another nod to City on the Edge of Forever, there's several seconds where it looks like the beanie is covering up pointed eyebrows.

I've loved every episode this season but it is pretty funny that they got fancy new credits with lots of shots of the Enterprise cruising through weird alien environments and then we get three episodes with very little in the way of actual star trekking. I am also not a fan of all the low atmo shots, like, come on guys, one is okay but multiple is kinda tacky; show the spaceship in space please.

Anyway glad we still have SNW and LDS for now, hope we can get at least a few more seasons in. Who knows, maybe someone will actually want to pick up SNW if Paramount cancels it, it's very well liked and probably has solid numbers; it also has an awesome cast and crew who very clearly seem to love working together. I hope they all end up having Christmas dinner together like the cast of TNG.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also the car chase/follow was like 10x better than picard.

Just clownin on em.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

apatheticman posted:

Also the car chase/follow was like 10x better than picard.

Just clownin on em.

And it made sense to be as slow as it was, because the weather conditions were really not conducive to a high speed chase, or at least a very long one. Plus the whole Kirk being a bad driver thing. I liked the idea that the people in the van were lovely drivers from the future too, and that's why they were able to keep up for so long.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Professor Beetus posted:

And it made sense to be as slow as it was, because the weather conditions were really not conducive to a high speed chase, or at least a very long one. Plus the whole Kirk being a bad driver thing. I liked the idea that the people in the van were lovely drivers from the future too, and that's why they were able to keep up for so long.

were they though? i thought it was cops taking the evidence somewhere

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah Kirk being absolutely terrible at cars was a good gag even if it was similar to what James Gunn did with GotG Vol 3. It was so much better than Picard's awful car scene in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beeftweeter posted:

all i can find for next week is this, which seems like a fan edit? no idea where the footage is from but it doesn't look familiar except for a few scenes on a shuttle, which paramount has been putting into all of the ads i've seen (so no spoiler, i guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTM7YVHFyk0

looks like they're going to be off on some planet or something anyway. good!

Beating a dead horse but just wanted to chime in that wow that is an astonishingly bad fan-edit, and also an entirely perplexing one. Why did they do a fan edit of a.... teaser? :confused: