Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arist posted:

I tried (S-Rank) Svarog like three times but he kept loving me up, gonna have to come back way later I guess

I have the time slow ring on and I still died once to that bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think the idea with that scene is that it's not so much that Clive asked Jill to give him Shiva, but that Clive's actions throughout the game and his tendency to try to do everything himself put her in the position to believe that giving him Shiva was what she had to do to keep him safe. Clive doesn't refute that because he kind of knows Joshua is right--even if he didn't outright ask Jill for Shiva, his actions put her in that position in the first place, so he's willing to take the blame (and the punch).

Yeah, Jill giving Shiva to Clive was less something she wanted to do and more the only thing she could do to keep Clive from getting killed himself. The end result though is that she had to give up the bulk of her power. Joshua, correctly, tells Clive he is a huge shithead for putting Jill in that position because at the end of the day Clive got what he wanted, which is Jill safe, even though Jill explicitly wanted to fight alongside them and had already accepted the risk to her life.

It is the kind of writing that makes sense but also feels a bit crappy and Jill deserved at least one more big moment where she is allowed to regain her agency. Especially since the game absolutely seems to want you to think that Jill is still viewed as incredibly badass. Mid points out that if Clive died she'd rather give the Cid name to Jill over Gav.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's up with the way this game tracks your completion? Mine says 91% but a friend of mine who is absolutely ahead of where I am says 84% (for reference I haven't gotten the last Eikon power yet and she has). We've both done all the green quests as well

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Macaluso posted:

What's up with the way this game tracks your completion? Mine says 91% but a friend of mine who is absolutely ahead of where I am says 84% (for reference I haven't gotten the last Eikon power yet and she has). We've both done all the green quests as well

I've seen the cutscene you referenced a few posts back about 30 mins ago in game and mine's showing 80%.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think it tracks your current quest progress rather than game progress, which is bloody useless

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Failboattootoot posted:

Use will o wykes and bring potions/high potions/elixers. Full build and loose strategy I used

Eikon 1 was bahamut. Slotted gigaflare and mastered will o wykes.
Eikon 2 was garuda. Slotted Gouge and wicked wheel.
Eikon 3 was Titan. Slotted Upheaval and raging fists.

This was done pre-eicons 6 and 7. If I were to do it now, I'd swap titan for odin using odins ult and gungnir and replace wicked wheel with mastered raging fists. Rift step probably better than gungnir if you're good but I am not and that cancelling nonsense makes my brain itch.

For strategy, Sakurazuka is right, don't get hit. When it does the dance attack with all the orbs just dodge through them, it's free up-time on Svarog. After it does it's dash through air bit, it always follows with melee attacks and this is the time to raging fists parry for huge stagger. Keep will o wykes up as much as you can to cover for mistakes. Try and make sure that you have a level 4 megaflare going right before you full stagger it. For comets, it's safer to jump over the wave than dodge through it I found. If you use the above build, the full stagger combo was lunge > wicked wheel > square+x down strike while holding square > release square > upheaval > gigaflare. Mash dog attack the entire time because why not.

It's a long fight, took 4 staggers I think.

Got him doing this, thanks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I think it tracks your current quest progress rather than game progress, which is bloody useless

There are two separate % trackers, one for your current main story quest and another for your overall game progression which is on the ps5 main screen on the right along with your total playtime.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Macaluso posted:

my guess would be hunts or map exploration

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

It does both. If you go to the actual Playstation interface, it says the "Current Game" progress somewhere (as opposed to the "current quest" progress that is featured more prominently for some weird reason).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Arist posted:

Got him doing this, thanks

Nice, great job! They were a jerk.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spermando posted:

The quest chain that starts immediately after that one is no better. :v:

Jesus Christ you were not kidding

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve made it a fair ways past that bit and I’m hoping it’s the nadir pacing-wise. it’d be hard for it not to be, those two story quests chains are somehow even more inane than soup delivery and they roadblock you from a place you very much want to go

Soup delivery was good tbh.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No no, the worst so far is the post 5th Eikon one. After the rush of Bahamut, now I need to go mop up messes around the continent. I was actually falling asleep by the time I was wrapping it up in Dalamil.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You're not a real warrior of light if you're not helping everyone out in the middle of the apocalypse imo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Watching the field battle scenes in this game between rival nations and they remind me of the sky battles in the anime Last Exile. It's a show where war is fought via airships with large cannon broadsides but out of tradition every battle opens with the ships lining up soldiers in completely exposed Napoleonic era lines, giving them all one shot in a musket, and having them fire at each other. It's an utterly pointless exercise that had no chance of having any effect on the battle, something with a high fatality rate that only exists out of tradition.

Anyways when I see two groups of men at arms duking it out until their leaders deign to finally turn into a dragon it gives me the same vibe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Watching the field battle scenes in this game between rival nations and they remind me of the sky battles in the anime Last Exile. It's a show where war is fought via airships with large cannon broadsides but out of tradition every battle opens with the ships lining up soldiers in completely exposed Napoleonic era lines, giving them all one shot in a musket, and having them fire at each other. It's an utterly pointless exercise that had no chance of having any effect on the battle, something with a high fatality rate that only exists out of tradition.

Anyways when I see two groups of men at arms duking it out until their leaders deign to finally turn into a dragon it gives me the same vibe.

In this particular case it is best to think of the Dominants as fantasy nukes. Pretty much the only way battles *can* play out is on foot because when one group pulls a Dominant the other does as well and it inevitably ends up in a massive loss of life and an effective stalemate. Neither side wants to play the Dominant card because once they do the best you can hope for is slightly less destruction on your side, and losing a Dominant would basically leave you fuuuuuuucked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In this particular case it is best to think of the Dominants as fantasy nukes. Pretty much the only way battles *can* play out is on foot because when one group pulls a Dominant the other does as well and it inevitably ends up in a massive loss of life and an effective stalemate. Neither side wants to play the Dominant card because once they do the best you can hope for is slightly less destruction on your side, and losing a Dominant would basically leave you fuuuuuuucked.

Yeah, I get the feeling like that is what they are going for, but at the same time I've seen I think 3 field battles so far and they all resulted in dominants getting pulled out so the armies clearly don't think they are *that* much of mutually assured destruction.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

Also playing the dominant card when you want to actually capture a resource or city means you're on a 50/50 that the target gets completely destroyed by the battle.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling like that is what they are going for, but at the same time I've seen I think 3 field battles so far and they all resulted in dominants getting pulled out so the armies clearly don't think they are *that* much of mutually assured destruction.

It's interesting that when dominants fight in cutscenes they usually pull up pretty quickly. Like when bahamut and odin have a bit of a joust then simply break it off because going ham would not affect a win.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, one of the more implausible elements of this setting is that so many separate nations managed to exist for so long. It seems very easy for nations to just get completely destroyed if they lose their dominant at a time with a competing nation still has one. Especially since there's apparently a gap of at least a few years between a Dominant dying and a new Dominant appearing. It seems like this would result in power consolidating under a single nation over just a few generations.

(After third crystal)
We basically see this happen in this game - Rosaria loses Phoenix, Empire sweeps in and takes it over. Dhalmek loses Titan, also seems like they're going to get taken over (I just did the part where you beat Titan and destroy the Dhalmekian crystal).

Also, now that I'm this far, I absolutely called Barnabas being the "guy who knows Deep Secrets of the Setting" based just off the trailers. I'm curious to find out why, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, one of the more implausible elements of this setting is that so many separate nations managed to exist for so long. It seems very easy for nations to just get completely destroyed if they lose their dominant at a time with a competing nation still has one. Especially since there's apparently a gap of at least a few years between a Dominant dying and a new Dominant appearing. It seems like this would result in power consolidating under a single nation over just a few generations.

(After third crystal)
We basically see this happen in this game - Rosaria loses Phoenix, Empire sweeps in and takes it over. Dhalmek loses Titan, also seems like they're going to get taken over (I just did the part where you beat Titan and destroy the Dhalmekian crystal).

Also, now that I'm this far, I absolutely called Barnabas being the "guy who knows Deep Secrets of the Setting" based just off the trailers. I'm curious to find out why, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that the nations are more desperate than they were in the past because of the blight. The lore also goes into details about treaties and such that helped maintain the peace that have deteriorated because of it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Welp, all hunts done, all chronolith trials done, all sidequests done. Guess tomorrow I am going to beat this game and be free of it!

Unless you get something for doing the Final Chronolith Trials? Please don't tell me there is and they are just there for fun?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
God I suck at the chronolith trials why do I find these so hard lol

Time expired 2% hp left meh.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 30, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just unlocked open area 3 and can confidently say that Devil May Clive is an extremely good game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man, if you've just gotten to open area 3, enjoy the ride from there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

HD DAD posted:

No no, the worst so far is the post 5th Eikon one. After the rush of Bahamut, now I need to go mop up messes around the continent. I was actually falling asleep by the time I was wrapping it up in Dalamil.

I was happy to do that part. Getting a better look at this primowhatsites stuff, and helping my friends survive it, was basically exactly what I wanted to do next.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah I had little issue with that section because it aligned with what I wanted to do already

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

susan b buffering posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the nations are more desperate than they were in the past because of the blight. The lore also goes into details about treaties and such that helped maintain the peace that have deteriorated because of it.

Yeah, this is probably a case of not wanting The War To End All Wars happening every five years. More land is great but holding it is expensive and it's probably not profitable to be doing it all the time.

I also wonder if they worry about killing Dominants left and right because they get reborn and then you run the risk of a toddler having a tantrum and destroying a city.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Still loving this game. Really my only three gripes are:

1. No customizable control scheme. Not having dodge on O feels so weird coming from all the other action RPGs I've played, but the only scheme that uses it makes everything else way worse.

2. Treasure chests are pretty boring. I've found a couple orchestral rolls and like I think literally once or twice a new piece of gear, but otherwise it's all just been 2 gil (why even bother doing this) or a couple materials that I get like 50 of every time I beat a miniboss. I'm honestly not missing most of the RPG elements as much as I thought I would, but delving into an optional dungeon to find some cool sword or something has always been a big part of FF for me.

3. The windups on a bunch of enemy attacks are still really throwing me off because they feel artificially long. I dodge early and get punished so many times because an enemy will prepare a swing that's already pretty telegraphed and then just kinda sit there for like a full second before attacking, even on attacks where there's a bunch of momentum going into the windup. If only a few enemies did it I wouldn't mind, the Souls games always do that to gently caress with your sense of timing and punish mindless dodging too, but it feels like drat near everything does it. Maybe it's just me, I don't see anyone else complaining about it so it could just not be clicking with me for whatever reason. The (early-ish game spoiler) big dude with a mortar that goes akashic is a good example - even their spinning attack has a weird delay between each rotation that is probably meant to give you more leeway for a precision dodge but just ends up making me dodge just in time to eat an attack.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So the Men of the Rock function as Hugo's own private army, right? So could you say that makes them Kupka Troopas?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Argue posted:

So the Men of the Rock function as Hugo's own private army, right? So could you say that makes them Kupka Troopas?

Nice

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Argue posted:

:hmmyes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
moogle-rear end name

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

loving finally someone mentions Leviathan, but the only detail is that he's lost. Not even an ATL entry! Man I wanna know more about what the water snake got up to and why he's missing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Imagining milk cartons with the faces of lost eikons on them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hey game, did you really need to throw 9 sidequests in suddenly at the very end of the game? You couldn't have spread that out a little? 6 popped up in the hideout alone

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Last fight at Reverie dungeon I love how Clive and Barnabas are just talking at normal volume while being hundreds of feet apart, especially when one of them is just monolouging for most of it

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can handwave it by assuming the dominants have certain telepathic abilities. For example, Benedikta seems to detect Cid and Clive like she's a dog hearing your engine from half a mile away.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spermando posted:

You can handwave it by assuming the dominants have certain telepathic abilities. For example, Benedikta seems to detect Cid and Clive like she's a dog hearing your engine from half a mile away.

They can at least sense each other when they’re using their powers yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"We can yell at each other and be perfectly heard in any environment" is just a power you get when you're a major character in fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The L'ubor story is something that really needs way more time than two sidequests can really devote to it. Everything moving so fast really makes it hard to take any of it seriously. They literally go from stoning the dude to being like "you are right, everyone deserves equal rights!" within the span of like 10 minutes. I mean when L'ubor is going over the plan on how to deal with the monsters, he goes "can I trust on the city watch to keep the town safe" and the dude who just threw a rock at his head is like "ALWAYS!"

Also if you go walk around right after, there's people that are like "I keep thinking back to the time we nearly drove L'ubor out of town. What a fool I was" and it's like guys that literally just happened.

Yes I know the time isn't actually supposed to represent the real life time I'm experiencing playing the game, but it still feels jarring. FF14 tends to have a bit of a problem with this kind of thing too (look at the recent patch's Garlamald stuff) and there probably isn't really a good way to solve it when it's not the main story. But still