Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Well that will move $3500 headsets! Especially remembering how 3D TVs were so popular. Man, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing people talking about how much they enjoyed their 3D TVs.

I genuinely enjoy(ed) my 3d TV (it's in my garage now). Congrats. You found The Guy. It's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I genuinely enjoy(ed) my 3d TV (it's in my garage now). Congrats. You found The Guy. It's me.

I wanted one! Hell, it's the only thing that's keeping me considering a projector sometime in the future. I'm just laughing at the idea of Apple thinking this might help sell a $3500 gadget.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wanted one! Hell, it's the only thing that's keeping me considering a projector sometime in the future. I'm just laughing at the idea of Apple thinking this might help sell a $3500 gadget.

Every bit of content helps.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Eh, if the prices go down in a bunch of years, they'll still have a really cool tech demo in the form of kaiju fighting.

Those 3D tv's were awesome, a friend had one and Mario Kart in 3D was a ton of fun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a dumb toy for rich idiots or people who love debt.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Terry van Feleday posted:

A bad week put me in the mood to binge through a bunch of the showa Godzilla movies rather quicker than I expected. My thoughts:

Mothra vs. Godzilla: I was hoping this would be a direct followup to Mothra, but instead it's another take on her mythos that... Kind of strips out much of what was really cool & interesting about it? I much preferred the hidden tropical paradise Infant Island over the mostly-unlivable one for its thematic implications, and so on. As a story I didn't find this one very compelling, though the kaiju action is cool. Mothra's death landed for me and her 2 ugly-cute little larva babies vs. the invincible super-lizard who casually shakes off so much nonsense in this film was some real hydrogen bomb vs. coughing baby booking. I also appreciate Godzilla being kind of a petty bitch

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster: This one's great! I loved the gonzo plotting with the venusian et al, her being this Cassandra figure who no one listens to because they're all too obsessed with making her Normal Again was simultaneously entertaining and quite sad. King Ghidorah is effectively weird & scary and probably the best-looking suit in any of these, and the Kaiju get a lot more characterization than I was expecting - Mothra pleading with the other 2 jerks was a great scene.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep: The plot and premise of this one are just fun, fundamentally it's an entertaining movie about 4 idiots trying to steal a boat and stumbling onto a secret nazi cult nuclear weapons lab slash human trafficking operation. The Kaiju fight elements are weak by comparison, the titular Ebirah is kind of a chump and as a result the movie deflates a bit at the end. Also this isn't a complaint but uh, I was kind of taken aback by Godzilla's little dance number to say the least

Destroy All Monsters: I actually quite strongly disliked this one. Humans successfuly corraling & controlling the Kaiju is quite startling and I was hoping there would be an interesting thematic exploration of that, but instead the alien mind control conceit just kind of turns them into props. Mothra being treated as just another critter particuarly didn't sit right with me, you'd think the Infant Islanders would have some kind of opinion about that and that would be like, part of the story. I actually felt really bad for King Ghidorah at the end which. Doesn't feel right? I guess I'm just not a fan of alien invasion stories, and neither the aliens nor the human cast were very compelling in this one.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah: Slaaaaaaps. Abandoning any notion of subtlety or restraint and just going as hard on the imagery as humanly possible makes for some pure cinema. So many haunting and memorable scenes, deeply emotionally resonant. Even simple things like the movie practically beginning with the statement "Godzilla is Superman!" and letting that be the thesis about what his role is here really stuck with me.

Godzilla vs. Gigan: Was pretty bored throughout, oddly look back at it a little more fondly in retrospect. The human protag cast was actually great here and I wish they'd gotten more space to be characters rather than just move the plot along. The cockroach reveal slayed me. King Ghidorah really didn't need to be here, but it did give me a real appreciation for Anguirus. Poor guy's doing his best.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla:

These alien invasions are getting a bit repetitive. Mechagodzilla is a cool baddie at least, and I enjoyed Godzilla getting a shounen training montage where he gets hit by lightning a bunch and turns himself into a giant magnet(?)

Terror of Mechagodzilla: Rather unexpectedly a serious contender for my favourite of this entire batch, though Hedorah is hard to beat. It takes a lot of ideas from the previous movies but executes them with much stronger cinematography and a willingness to really explore their implications. "Control" by virtue of its abstract nature is harder to turn into a physical baddie than something like pollution, and I think this movie succeeds where Destroy All Monsters falls short. The big triumph is the character of Katsura: Besides serving some A++ looks, in her we actually center the perspective of the victim and tie every aspect of the story together through directly paralleling her dad's paternal control over her with Titanosaurus' mind control device even before she becomes Mechagodzilla in the end. (Before Mechagodzilla becomes her?) It's the most elegant way to make the human & kaiju elements feel like a coherent whole I've seen to the point where it almost feels like cheating.
There's something poetic about finishing this mostly-goofball leg of Godzilla's history with an ending almost as desolating as the original, though in a different way and for different reasons. It does make me wonder if it doesn't land quite as hard if you're not a woman.

I'll take a break and watch some other stuff before continuing into the heisei movies, in the interest of not burning out. But so far, I'm having a fun time! I do seem to prefer the more weighty & serious films over the more sci-fi b-movie ones, but those do have their charms.

Glad to see you posting here again, much missed

And I can only speak for me but Terror is my favorite after the original/Mothra and I’m a male type person. And yeah Katsura’s sweater and skirt outfit when she meets with Akira is all time. I think I’ve posted about how good the clothes in that movie look about 100 times

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The 60s and 70s Japanese aesthetic is something I just can't get enough of

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I really appreciate that Showa post, and especially the effort thet webt into it. But for me, personally, and please nobody take this as an insult, it’s my least favorite era

Now, Gojira ‘54 is my #1 favorite, and Mothra vs Godzilla is another, as are Terror and Hedorah.

But so many of the later Showa films suffered from the lack of budget caused by the semi-collapse of the Japanese film industry, and when they get to the point that G and latest nemesis are fighting on nondescript hillsides, and much of it is modeled after professional wrestling, it just loses its charm, and loses me. I need my Godzilla films to at least pretend to be SERIOUS, dammit!

I do agree with the things said about the costuming of some of the later Showa films. It’s a particular Japanese thing that was peculiar to that time, and it’s great.

I like the later era films better though. Just my opinion. Heisei lost some of the child-friendly approach Showa took at the end (with a couple of exceptions) and I like that. Not a big fan of the energy-beam fighting that was so common in a lot of the Heisei films, but there are some good ones in there, and a couple of great ones.

Here is the thing that makes me a heretic: I love most the Millennium films. The new beginning, as it were, and I also love the first two US films by Legendary Pictures.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1670514192606953474?s=20

Violator
May 15, 2003

This is just some artist on Twitter, but he's posting some neat drawings he did of a Godzilla horror story where he leaves enough radiation in his wake that it mutates local animals and people to have G-like features.

https://twitter.com/steel_neck/status/1670435640691892227

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Awwww yisssss

https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1671956288266272779?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got this tonight because I thought it was funny

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That looks so dumb. I want it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found mine at Target in their collectory toy section that's usually in the media area. Its probably online at various places too.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
So is this new Apple Godzilla show a VR exclusive or what? Do I need to throw down $13,500 to watch this?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why would it be VR exclusive?

e:

Shiroc posted:

I found mine at Target in their collectory toy section that's usually in the media area. Its probably online at various places too.

I saw one of those things at Vintage Stock the other day and almost got it. They had a couple of other ones in the same line, like a janky looking Ghidorah.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How janky is the Ghidorah? It was the only one of the second series the Target didn’t have. I nearly got the Gigan too but I’ve been making my apartment decor a little less kaijuy lately. Putting some into a box that I like too much to get rid of but don’t want taking up display space for the hope of having a place with more room someday.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well he looks in line with the other ones in that series, they just have a sort of retro look to them that I find slightly goofy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/matsutomo_kaiju/status/1672589202247278593?t=SrNKffitP0kbPv1OjoY05g&s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Which godawful ai site generated this masterpiece?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t think AI was needed; the spikes and colors are about the only things changed

https://youtu.be/q6EoRBvdVPQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's called Photoshop bro

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shiroc posted:

I’ve been making my apartment decor a little less kaijuy lately.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

DeimosRising posted:

And I can only speak for me but Terror is my favorite after the original/Mothra and I’m a male type person. And yeah Katsura’s sweater and skirt outfit when she meets with Akira is all time. I think I’ve posted about how good the clothes in that movie look about 100 times

Is there a name for that weird dark brown/plaid skirt-jacket with cap style that the reporter girl from MG 74 wore? That look is downright incredible and I've never seen it done since.

Also yeah King Seesar being useless is the single best brick-joke in the series.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There comes a time in every man's life when he has to put away (some) of his soft vinyl dinosaurs and make room for more adult decor, like warhammer figurines and 500 dollar action figures of bruce lee

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Between this and the Toku channel, I guess i have zero reasons to ever turn off pluto
https://twitter.com/GormaruIsland/status/1673709057515966471

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

thatfuturekid posted:

Between this and the Toku channel, I guess i have zero reasons to ever turn off pluto
https://twitter.com/GormaruIsland/status/1673709057515966471

You just made my son's day.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You just made my day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mekagojira3k/status/1674488841732759562?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/vinegarsyndrome/status/1675174925794181120?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

got dayum

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hell yes!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gorgo is so incredibly dull though

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It’s no Quatermass, that’s for sure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gorgo is so incredibly dull though

It certainly has some problems but the nighttime boat attack scene will probably look fantastic in 4k

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I just noticed that Tubi currently has every single Ultraman series avail. I've watched the OG and Ultraseven(several times) but never dived into any others. What are some of the best seasons to watch?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Can’t go wrong with the OG season

edit: misread your post because I’m dumb. If they have Ultra Q it’s a pretty fun show with an Outer Limits vibe.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 3, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

thatfuturekid posted:

I just noticed that Tubi currently has every single Ultraman series avail. I've watched the OG and Ultraseven(several times) but never dived into any others. What are some of the best seasons to watch?

Ultraman Leo is insane and I love it. Moroboshi Dan is a big part of it soil you liked 7 you will get a kick out of Leo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thatfuturekid posted:

Tiga is a fun one, they also have Ultra Q and the original Gridman and those are also worth watching