Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Habibi posted:

Well, if you think of "flat" as referring to the lack of gloss, it's a perfect description of both the element and problem with it.

drat, taken to the matte!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm trying to make the speed champions countache in stud.io but the angled panels make everything impossible, they always show as clipping

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's disappointing that there aren't any good GWP coming when there are 3 biggish sets releasing within a few days of each other. And if it is true that they are just going to re-release older GWP, that's lame, too.

Guess I am waiting to buy El Dorado for a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm bummed there isn't an expert/icons/creator car announced for August. I guess there's still time but I think we know about it by this point every year. Hope the Land Rover isn't all we get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if they did announce one, it will probably just be something I'm not interested in. Make a Miura you cowards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

Even if they did announce one, it will probably just be something I'm not interested in. Make a 037 you cowards.

Fixed this for you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Por que no los dos?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

Por que no los dos?

The first creator expert two pack, Italian mid engine cars of the 70s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gave up and turned off collisions, also I forgot how you do stickers or even if these stickers are available. Also also it wouldn't let me attach hubcaps to the wheels but whatever.

Release the Countach in red you cowards!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I hope we get more non-contemporary vehicles in the Speed Champions lineup. I really don’t feel these newfangled F1 GT cars or whatever, to me they all look the same. It’s not as if the entire last half of the 20th century isn’t full of great designs from companies that still exist to license them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Futanari Damacy posted:

I hope we get more non-contemporary vehicles in the Speed Champions lineup. I really don’t feel these newfangled F1 GT cars or whatever, to me they all look the same. It’s not as if the entire last half of the 20th century isn’t full of great designs from companies that still exist to license them.

A few of them are genuinely cool (McLaren Solus, which comes in a two pack with a classic McLaren) but yeah the line does feel like it skews a little too much to modern super/hypercars. Or maybe that’s what kids now have posters of on their walls, like the Countach etc. was for people my age, I dunno what cars the kids like.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Any tips for building/designing a truck in the speed champions style? I play the game Snowrunner a lot and it has a ton of licensed/knockoff trucks that I'd love to build in Lego, especially after having so much fun with the McLaren pack.

Should I start by picking a wheel size and building based on that for the frame? I have the unimog style snowplow truck and think it's wheel styles would be a great fit. I'm just not sure what to start for my "scale".

Preferably it would be an 8 wide, even though I know the big trucks are much bigger than cars (I'd probably use one of the smaller old timey truck). But 10 wide might make sense? I'm just not sure how to scale it to fit with minifig city cars , of which we have 4,6 and 8 wides.

The ones I see on brick link/rebrickable just don't look that great and I'd like to try designing something complicated myself. I just don't know how to scale it , I think

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 29, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

xzzy posted:

I'm bummed there isn't an expert/icons/creator car announced for August. I guess there's still time but I think we know about it by this point every year. Hope the Land Rover isn't all we get.

There's a rumoured JP Jeep for the later half of the year, so I guess that are continuing the trend of doing licensed vehicles in this scale too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still pulling for a stately '94 Ford Ranger SC.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Weird question, but my fiance is a LOTR fan and seems to have discovered the 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Gathering' set (79003) from 2012.

This thing is long out of production but I'd love to get it for her as a gift. What's the best approach for that kind of thing? The internet is showing me options that are many many hundreds of dollars and I'm guessing the secondary market is the only real option now?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Harvey Baldman posted:

Weird question, but my fiance is a LOTR fan and seems to have discovered the 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Gathering' set (79003) from 2012.

This thing is long out of production but I'd love to get it for her as a gift. What's the best approach for that kind of thing? The internet is showing me options that are many many hundreds of dollars and I'm guessing the secondary market is the only real option now?

Basically yes. If you're giving it as a gift, you're probably looking to have it in a relatively undamaged box, which is going to make it expensive unless you're rich or insane. I know a couple of the knock-off companies have their version of that set if you're open to slightly wonky bricks, but other than that it's basically a crapshoot.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Harvey Baldman posted:

I checked a half dozen bootleg clone sites and none of them have it. It seems really rare. Bricklink and facebook marketplace are the only places I think you can realistically find it, unless you want to part it out and get it without stickers?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Basically yes. If you're giving it as a gift, you're probably looking to have it in a relatively undamaged box, which is going to make it expensive unless you're rich or insane. I know a couple of the knock-off companies have their version of that set if you're open to slightly wonky bricks, but other than that it's basically a crapshoot.

Where'd you find them? All I see is the JiSi 830 on brick4, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. I'm always hunting for these older cloned sets for my kid.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Haha, ironically I started doing the same thing you did and went looking for one to link, but nobody seems to have them up. At least, none of the reputable sites. Even the Lepin version seems to have disappeared, which is surprising.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
it's somehow not as expensive as i thought, $300 new on ebay. i've been destroyed by lego pricing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if Lego will have another go at the Shire, maybe a bigger hillside with a couple of levels, and more inside.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That set is a long term resident on a display shelf in my office, along with all the dwarves which I mostly bricklinked. It’s great!

I think there’s a VERY GOOD chance they’ll do some kind of reissue of it because of the recent lord of the rings set release (Rivendell) showing an interest on the part of Lego in putting out more sets, and the fact that it was popular/well received at the time.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 29, 2023

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah this is my complaint with speed champs, modern hypercars are all kinda boring looking, and end up looking samey when converted to lego form.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Harvey Baldman posted:

Pandemic destroyed prices on the secondary market. IIRC, at the start of 2020 it was around $120 or so new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2561214726...mCondition=1000

$259 w/ free shipping. Make em an offer at like $225 and see how low they will go. Good luck. Also, because that seems to be the best price on Ebay at the moment, it probably isn't going to last long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

Still pulling for a stately '94 Ford Ranger SC.

Ford fuckin Ranger

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I feel the call of the Mould King ISC Monarch. How stupid is this if I've not really built (boot)lego in a pretty long time? The reviews disagree about whether or not the bags are (at least roughly) in build order and on the quality of the instructions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A couple of sets that my son's working on today, lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

mutata posted:

A couple of sets that my son's working on today, lol

Those are such serious nostalgia. It's funny what time will do to you -- I remember the original Falcon being INCREDIBLE, and yet seeing it today, even compared to the budget models from over the years, yeesh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

These near-bankruptcy era sets are super interesting, yeah. A lot more one offs and HUGE monolithic pieces with printing on. This original Millennium Falcon set hardly tops 650 bricks. The Unitron monorail set is also hilariously low in brickcount.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone done a remake of the falcon using those pieces? Like the printed bits look like they aren't horrible, it's all the stuff around it that makes the model look like trash.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Harvey Baldman posted:

Don’t do anything crazy on eBay yet. I think I have this set new and sealed somewhere. I’m busy with work and the holiday coming up. Gimme like a week to find it. I know it’s in a tote somewhere in my basement. It’s like finding the Ark of the Covenant down there but I’m 98% sure it’s there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DrChud posted:

Don’t do anything crazy on eBay yet. I think I have this set new and sealed somewhere. I’m busy with work and the holiday coming up. Gimme like a week to find it. I know it’s in a tote somewhere in my basement. It’s like finding the Ark of the Covenant down there but I’m 98% sure it’s there.

Legoons helping Legoons ITT

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
drat eldardo is kinda dwarfed by pirates of barracuda bay

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sunk Dunk posted:

drat eldardo is kinda dwarfed by pirates of barracuda bay

That's crazy, especially since POBB only has 40 more bricks and was $15 cheaper (so about the same post price-increase)

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
If Ninjago City is the best thing they’ve ever made then Barracuda Bay is a close second.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been headed this way for a while but I think at this point the part count is probably the worst way to compare sets. There's so many 1x1 pieces in use that it takes a huge number of them to build anything substantial.

"External dimensions" maybe? Not really an easy number to get or chat about. Does set weight matter?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xzzy posted:

It's been headed this way for a while but I think at this point the part count is probably the worst way to compare sets. There's so many 1x1 pieces in use that it takes a huge number of them to build anything substantial.

"External dimensions" maybe? Not really an easy number to get or chat about. Does set weight matter?

Dimensions don't work either due to being hollow vs dense. Heck, the tall neck probably has giant dimensions vs its piece count.

I think you're onto something with weight. But those numbers aren't on brickset or lego.com, only on bricklink, so I'm not sure on accuracy.

Regardless,
city markets $370, 6076pieces, 7569g (outstanding value)
Rivendell $500, 6074p, 6890g
Batcave $550, 3981p, 7140g

That is a huge swing for the batcave. 2k fewer pieces than rivendell but heavier, pretty in line with price per gram for each other.

Edit
Pirates of barracuda bay ,$200, 2498p, 4510g. Huge value

A real good comparison are these two
Tall neck $80 at release/90now, 1190p, 1216g.
Galaxy explorer $100 (50 for us lucky folks), 1219p, 1758g.

So per piece tall neck is better value by a bit, by weight the explorer is much better which makes sense due to not being licensed.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 30, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Futanari Damacy posted:

If Ninjago City is the best thing they’ve ever made then Barracuda Bay is a close second.

You got those reversed.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

DrChud posted:

If you turn up with one of these please PM me, you’d make me look like a superhero if I can get my hands on one for her!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here he is, the $200 minifig. He's holding the ~$5 printed 1x1 flat tile. He's standing next to the ~$60 Aldar Beedo, uhhh... minifig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That printed 1x4 in front of Beedo made an appearance in basically everything I ever built as a kid :allears:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 30, 2023