Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Free bike was certainly the cause of some good times. We did a 4 ranger run and made sure we all had free bikes on a few missions it was the dumbest poo poo ever and so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really hope we get a western release sometime this year. Having played it solo on ps5 I want to coop with people and see everyone's reactions to the story and new enemies.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

One of my favorite touches so far in 6 (just over 60% done) is the menu music and background changing depending on the current arc.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I just hope 6 has a better song than 5. Nothing can ever top the majesty of The EDF Deploys though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
From what I can tell it's the same as 5 since it's a direct sequel. The melody is the same but the lyrics probably vary on the story progress.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 29, 2023

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

The song is definitely in the same style as 5 (rip edf deploys) though there is at least one interesting variant on it I've heard... but I don't speak Japanese so :shobon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll give the EDF5 song credit for rhyming "aliens" with "homosapiens."

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did anyone enjoy the Free Bike? They buffed it for EDF6.
I enjoyed putting C4 on it and trying to bomb enemies with it (usually unsuccessfully)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FrickenMoron posted:

From what I can tell it's the same as 5 since it's a direct sequel. The melody is the same but the lyrics probably vary on the story progress.

Yeah, the lyrics change a surprising number of times. Some of them get pretty dark funny

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Insert name here posted:

I enjoyed putting C4 on it and trying to bomb enemies with it (usually unsuccessfully)
I don't remember if you could do that to decoys, but that would be amazing for EDF6.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in 4.1 i brought in balam for every mission with hectors i could. it didn't really work very well, as getting into fist fights with them was rarely productive. but well, who gives a poo poo.

i never used barga that much, by comparison.

Same, honestly. That said, Barga is honestly much better and more useful than Balam was. It's generally tougher against the enemy spreads in EDF5 missions than Balam was in EDF 4.1 missions, and is extremely good at killing Cosmonauts, who are some of the most dangerous/irritating non-bug enemies.

Plus EDF 5 just has a whole lot of missions where they're throwing tons of frogs/cosmos/kaiju at you instead of just making GBS threads bug swarms on you so Barga has a lot of chances to fight the kind of battles it wants to.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Alien commandos trying and failing to dodge roll away from missiles is one hell of a cathartic joy as Ranger when you get tired of blowing their arms or legs off so the fencers can punch them in the crotch. Not enough games enable wingman killer as a playstyle instead of "Nuh uh, you are the tank temp/support sucker."

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best thing in EDF 5 was playing Wing Diver with one of those really high damage charge lances and just going for headshots on frogs/cosmos. Just feeling like a cool ninja murdering each one in a single hit while my buddies have to use things like "cover" and "tactics" and "more than one shot".

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ONLY I CAN USE THE BLAZER!

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

In 6 the divers get a grenade slot that can have lightsaberish melee weapons and these floating shields that block all shots/enemy shots. You can do some weird stuff as diver now.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm confused. You guys keep talking about "frogs" in EDF5. Are you guys using some sort of disparaging nickname for the uncannily human-like aliens?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Well EDF5 was set in France so yes on the slur.
(I will never abandon this headcanon)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Explosionface posted:

I'm confused. You guys keep talking about "frogs" in EDF5. Are you guys using some sort of disparaging nickname for the uncannily human-like aliens?

They're frog-like giant insects.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
But they look just like us

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we're miniature frog-like giant insects.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

grate deceiver posted:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The frogs look almost exactly like insanely racist British politician Nigel Farage, so my friends and I exclusively referred to them as Farages. Then there are the flying Nigels.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The usable 4.1 helicopters had the auto-acquisition guns, which I believe mostly moved to Ranger in 5.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Finally the announcement we've all been waiting for!

World Brothers 2!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I am full of… hatred?

I think this is hatred.

Certainly disappointment.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I liked it!!! I'm down for more

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Further confirmation this is the bad place

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

All I remember from WB1 was that I couldn’t find a multiplayer game the day after release on steam and it felt like I might be committing some kind of hate crime by playing it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hated the upgrade system.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An EDF for the Xbox? Incredible!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Further confirmation this is the bad place

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Good Citizen posted:

All I remember from WB1 was that I couldn’t find a multiplayer game the day after release on steam and it felt like I might be committing some kind of hate crime by playing it

Is WB like mainline EDF games in that you can join a game in progress or is it like Iron Rain where you have to be in the lobby before the host starts the level? Iron Rain's absolute biggest flaw is that the multiplayer list is always empty since you can't join a lobby with a game in progress. It was the same way nearly immediately after launch. The few lobbies I did successfully join had major syncing issues, too. :( If I took out the last few enemies, my teammates would be shooting at invisible bugs for a bit, as an example.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is WB like mainline EDF games in that you can join a game in progress or is it like Iron Rain where you have to be in the lobby before the host starts the level? Iron Rain's absolute biggest flaw is that the multiplayer list is always empty since you can't join a lobby with a game in progress. It was the same way nearly immediately after launch. The few lobbies I did successfully join had major syncing issues, too. :( If I took out the last few enemies, my teammates would be shooting at invisible bugs for a bit, as an example.

literally no one is playing WB

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

God drat I want to play edf6 in english

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

It's not my first choice (edf6), my second choice (edf 2/3/4 on switch), but I'll gladly take more World Brothers.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

wasnt the german brother a WW2 "german soldier"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

world brothers would have been kind of neat if i had never played an edf game before

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

World Brothers would have been neat if I didn’t glitch out 75% of the time trying to load into a multiplayer mission and also if it was like 150% less weirdly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
World brothers is just pure rear end and racist to boot. It fails at everything that is EDF for me. The humor is forced cringe, the battles lack any sense of scale because of the lack of friendly npcs. The leveling system sucks and there is no gear to unlock.