Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's a fun one from the original System Shock, which (as far as I know) also works in SS1EE and Shockolate.

Head over to deck 4, exit the cargo elevator, descend the north ramp (ahead and to your right), and pick up and equip the DC-05 Riot Gun there. It's empty, and if you have one of your MFDs set to weapon you will have an option to load it with rubber bullets. Do not do this.

Instead, press the "reload" hotkey that I only recently discovered SS1 has: alt-backspace. You will hear the characteristic reload noise, and your weapon MFD will change to reflect the fact that your riot gun is now loaded...with hollowpoint magnum rounds. They behave the same as in the magnum, with the same damage, penetration, etc, but benefit from the DC-05's higher rate of fire. And you can use it like this indefinitely, as long as you never use the MFD to reload it with rubber bullets -- if you do, the spell will be broken and it will never again accept magnum rounds.

So what's going on here? Well, internally, the ammo behaviour of clip-fed weapons like the riot gun is characterized by four numbers:
- the subclass of ammo this weapon uses;
- the specific types of ammo within that subclass it can accept;
- the type of ammo within that subclass that is currently loaded;
- and how many rounds are left.
The riot gun uses ammo subclass 2 (heavy), and within that subclass, can only load ammo type 2 (rubber slugs). Ammo subclass 2 is a bit odd; unlike most ammo subclasses, which are dedicated to a specific weapon, #2 is shared between two guns¹ -- the magnum (with hollowpoints in slot 0 and heavy slugs in slot 1) and the riot run (with rubber slugs in slot 2). This normally doesn't matter, because each weapon lists which specific ammo types from its associate subclass it can load; the magnum can load types 0 and 1, and the riot gun type 2, and the MFD will only display those specific types of ammo when asking you what to load it with.

There is, however, one exception: when you press the "reload weapon" hotkey, it first tries to reload the weapon the same type of ammo it currently has loaded. This should be safe, because there is no way to use the MFD to load the wrong ammo...but when the riot gun was placed in-game, the "currently loaded ammo type" field was left at its default value of 0, resulting in a riot gun that has 0 rounds of magnum hollowpoints loaded. This isn't immediately apparent because when you pick up an empty gun, the MFD only shows you what you can reload it with, not what it was loaded with previously, but the reload hotkey will dutifully check your inventory for ammo subclass 2, type 0 and shove it in there.

There's only one other ammo subclass shared across weapons this way: subclass 6 is shared between the MM-76 Railgun and the SB-20 Magpulse, with mag cartridges in slot 0 and rail grenades in slot 1. This means that if you found an empty railgun lying around, you could potentially fire EMP bolts out of it, although unlike the riot-control magnum there is no benefit to doing so.

¹ there's no technical reason for this, like running out of subclass slots -- it's probably due to a late-in-development reshuffling of weapons that made it easier to re-use an existing ammo subclass than define a new one, or something of that sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or some other thread, so sorry if this is a repeat, but it was a glitch I discovered and so maybe it's not super known :shrug:

In Mafia III, if you're running the game on a slow rear end system with little memory, you'll frequently run into an issue where things are loaded in real time but in a kind of order of priority. The mission item is highest priority and the bad guys are almost dead last priority. This meant that if I was driving fast enough to my mission location, I could run right into the place while the game was still trying to catch up, grab the mission item and escape without ever having to even fight anyone, all before the area could finish loading.

The doors usually were all loaded; otherwise navigating was tricky because the walls would be solid but invisible.

Other missions required you to kill a target. You could do this trick, too, but the target would load last along with all the other bad guys. But you would know where he was located, so you could effectively Looper them the moment they spawn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNYTqn3qRc

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

ToxicFrog posted:

Here's a fun one from the original System Shock, which (as far as I know) also works in SS1EE and Shockolate.

This is great, thank you. Programming is magical, OBVIOUSLY we need to be very specific about what ammo isn't in the gun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not exactly a glitch, more a limitation, but fear the deadly NINJA GRANDMASter sasuke

Only registered members can see post attachments!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

That reminds me of when Resonance of Fate came out, and the POS at Hollywood Video couldn't display the whole title so it came up as RESONANCE OF FAT

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

liquidypoo posted:

That reminds me of when Resonance of Fate came out, and the POS at Hollywood Video couldn't display the whole title so it came up as RESONANCE OF FAT

Dont dox me

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

liquidypoo posted:

RESONANCE OF FAT

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/neko_sougo/status/1673302090037469184

Also,
https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1673841463652757506

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm so glad CDPR still hasn't fixed this bug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1xywMbj4o

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/VGu5MLK.mp4

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

What, you've never seen a hell under the cell match?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnz55ShAXmM&t=97s

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Somehow wrestling games are always janky and it's wonderful :allears:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

Somehow wrestling games are always janky and it's wonderful :allears:

It's that combination of "grappling animation is actually really technically complicated" and "they've gotta make a whole rear end game every year". If it was one or the other they probably wouldn't be so janky but "a difficult thing, rushed" is a great combo when you want something to be a real mess.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's that combination of "grappling animation is actually really technically complicated" and "they've gotta make a whole rear end game every year". If it was one or the other they probably wouldn't be so janky but "a difficult thing, rushed" is a great combo when you want something to be a real mess.

i get the first part but are they building a brand new engine every year too? you think with that turnaround they'd have one engine for years worth of games that would eventually get fixed so it works correctly

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You'd think that but more likely they're just sitting on a mountain of technical debt and reusing the same engine over and over is actually one of the primary contributors to the problem rather than something that might resolve it. If they took a few years off to rebuild the engine from scratch, they probably could make it work better, but they don't really have that luxury of time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Game development is hard, animations involving more than one character are hard, combining animations with physics is hard, and I'd wager those games don't have nearly enough programmers on top of all that. And the devs they do have are all allocated to making this year's cool feature that will encourage fans to buy the new game instead of sticking with the previous one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wasn't WWE2k20 or 2k21 really janky and then they took a year off to make some improvements, and then 2k22 was much improved?

EDIT -yeah, just looked it up and 2020 was a pile, they skipped 2021, and came back the following year with 2022

Wikipedia posted:

2019's WWE 2K20 was the first game in the series to be developed solely by Visual Concepts, who had worked with Yuke's on previous games under the WWE 2K banner.[11][12] The game received generally negative reviews for various changes seen as a regression from 2K19, and for numerous bugs and technical issues upon its launch. The series went on a two-year hiatus in response, with WWE 2K Battlegrounds released in 2020 as a replacement for a previously-planned WWE 2K21 game.[13] WWE 2K22, the twenty-second instalment of the series, was released in March 2022 to a generally more favourable reception than its predecessor. WWE 2K23, the twenty-third installment of the series, was released in March 2023 surpassing the expectations preceded by 2k22.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

"they've gotta make a whole rear end game every year"
True of the WWE games, but AEW: Fight Forever is the first of its series.
Then again, "first of its series" is also a believable explanation.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Suleman posted:

True of the WWE games, but AEW: Fight Forever is the first of its series.
Then again, "first of its series" is also a believable explanation.
AEW were the WWE devs.
Yuke's worked on WWE up until WWE 2K19

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Croccers posted:

AEW were the WWE devs.
Yuke's worked on WWE up until WWE 2K19
That's true, but this is a completely new engine they built from scratch in the last two and a half years. One of the reasons Yuke's left the 2K series was that they wanted to make a wrestling game on a new engine instead of using the creaky old WWE game tech that probably still has code from the PS2 or even PS1 days.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

excellent ground game

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://twitter.com/SavinTheBees/status/1676019593918451712?s=20

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ma'am I don't think you're taking this seriously.

https://i.imgur.com/ETvOPUA.mp4

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
You took out the shoulders, she shouldn't be able to roll like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nice of her to avoid a door stuck situation imo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The legend returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8KlrxJT9A

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I started Skyrim for the first time over a month ago. This game has been out a decade, so I figured the Bethesda-rear end physics is all ironed out by now.

Five minutes into the game, the guy who gets his head chopped off ahead of the PC in the introduction clipped through the ground. The engine didn't know what to do with his body when it collided with the raven stone in this scripted cutscene that has been seen literally millions of times. Just down there, headless and T-posing. It was a wonderful introduction to the game.

To be fair, I have had very few problems with it since then. Maybe a half dozen physics sharts in 100 hours of gameplay. This engine is being asked to do a lot, and it mostly works. Still, even though it isn't an example of the physics breaking, I do love how corpses will sometimes fall in an upright position. I killed a wizard, then killed him again when his pal raised him as an undead, then I killed her too, right on top of him. This was the result:

"I think he came, girl. You may need to wait a bit."

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
The Skyrim glitch of people swimming on land and one comes up to you saying "The gods know what you've done" is somehow engraved in my mind.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A classic, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s on the short list of my favorite bugs, yeah

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I'm replaying Morrowind (with mods for the first time), and just came across this one. It reminded me of the Roger a Muirebe screenshot from Crusader Kings, so why not have bugs from three different Elder Scrolls games on the same page?

https://i.imgur.com/y3tqHWf.png

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that's fron tamriel rebuilt, right? it's still being actively developed so...

never mind, I can't even tell if the bug's been reported already, not a fantastic user experience here

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I know Morrowind or really Bethesda games alone could be their own glitch thread but wasn't there a thing in Morrowind where light sources always stacked, so you could eventually have enough candles and lanterns in your house it would become brighter than the god drat sun?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It says a lot about Bethesda that even if that isn't a real bug, I have no problem immediately believing that it could be.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

crime fighting hog posted:

I know Morrowind or really Bethesda games alone could be their own glitch thread but wasn't there a thing in Morrowind where light sources always stacked, so you could eventually have enough candles and lanterns in your house it would become brighter than the god drat sun?

A lot of older games have unrealistic light models that do stuff like that. Morrowind just let you move light sources around more than most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao the skeleton clips through the crab

https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1649887259833901057