Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry what? Is this real?

When he was younger Jamie kept a blog with enough posts to find some regrettable things in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr. Squishy posted:

When he was younger Jamie kept a blog with enough posts to find some regrettable things in it.

Last I checked he was still blogging about watching Survivor, so clearly no better now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Grundma posted:

Ive only played one of his games - Castles of Burgundy. Its one of the most incredibly dull games I've ever played and I really dont see how it got as popular as it did.

As a game where everyone gets to do their own thing while still having some very mild elements of player interaction, it's quite good, and plays quickly. It's not one of my favourites, but my partner likes it and I'll happily play it. I've never played it at 3 or 4 and I expect that it becomes a much longer and less satisfying game in those cases. I'd also never recommend it to anyone who doesn't at least tolerate extremely bland theming.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Everyone I've shown CoB to ends up loving it because it takes something a lot of new gamers take for granted (that dice are random and you don't have any control over them) and illustrates the huge difference between input and output randomness.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bora Bora is a game with an interesting dice system and absolutely dogshit, point salad-y, all paths lead to rome designs that I have ever tried. It’s like a tiny, minuscule nugget of gold inside a Godzilla-sized turd ball. Everything apart from one thing in the game felt pointless, which is ironic considering that you could poo poo on the board and the game would give you point.

The only good Feld is In The Year of the Dragon, which is a nice little gem of a game.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 27, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

As a game where everyone gets to do their own thing while still having some very mild elements of player interaction, it's quite good, and plays quickly. It's not one of my favourites, but my partner likes it and I'll happily play it. I've never played it at 3 or 4 and I expect that it becomes a much longer and less satisfying game in those cases. I'd also never recommend it to anyone who doesn't at least tolerate extremely bland theming.

IMO it's fine at 3 but it's best at 2. It really wants the calculus of tile selection to be a very direct zero-sum competition, adding more players just muddies the waters.

There are better games with fewer headaches than CoB but if that's one of the worst games you've played you've had a charmed life.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Bora Bora is a game with an interesting dice system and absolutely dogshit, point salad-y, all paths lead to role designs that I have ever tried. It’s like a tiny, minuscule nugget of gold inside a Godzilla-sized turd ball. Everything apart from one thing in the game felt pointless, which is ironic considering that you could poo poo on the board and the game would give you point.

The only good Feld is In The Year of the Dragon, which is a nice little gem of a game.

I've heard good things about Marrakesh, but also I quite like Castles of Burg so maybe my tastes are badwrongdumb

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Spiteski posted:

I've heard good things about Marrakesh, but also I quite like Castles of Burg so maybe my tastes are badwrongdumb
Nah, don’t give a poo poo about what I or anyone else thinks about this silly hobby. Voiced strong opinions are just more interesting/funnier to me. Tell me I’m loving wrong in the best possible way

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Nah, don’t give a poo poo about what I or anyone else thinks about this silly hobby. Voiced strong opinions are just more interesting/funnier to me. Tell me I’m loving wrong in the best possible way

Trajan is good, if you're paying attention to others' mancalas and therefore it turns into a tempo game, lots of mini races to specific things
Speicherstadt has that action stacking thing from FS/SC but in a feld point salad auction, it's good and kinda funny
You're right that ityotd is good though

I like bits and pieces from a few others, and am happy to play CoB as I am Splendor or Century Spice Road, it's perfectly inoffensive and doesn't take that long and a lot of people already know it.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I like Trajan, Year of the Dragon, and Die Spiecherstadt and mot really any of the other Felds.

Feld gets under my skin, because he designs really neat central mechanisms and then the rest of the game is soulless point salad bullshit. The one where it really hit me was Macao. The wind rose resource allocation is really cool and everything else is bland.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

garthoneeye posted:

I like Trajan, Year of the Dragon, and Die Spiecherstadt and mot really any of the other Felds.

Feld gets under my skin, because he designs really neat central mechanisms and then the rest of the game is soulless point salad bullshit. The one where it really hit me was Macao. The wind rose resource allocation is really cool and everything else is bland.

hey you have good taste ;)

but yeah I agree completely, I really like bits of a bunch of them, and Macao's resource thing was one of em. I like the forced passive aggression of Kokopelli but the actual play annoys me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So I went through the top designers as far as I could figure and looked for what I've played from them. This is by memory, so I might be missing something.

I've only played one Feld (In the Year of the Dragon once) and I recall enjoying it but it was pre-pandini.
I've only played one Rosenberg (Patchwork, unless you count one or two solo plays of Caverna on BGA) and I enjoy that even though I am shiiiiittt at it. I need to try Bohnanza.
I've only played one Gerdts game (Concordia, and its maps) but it's terrific and one of my favorite games.
I've only played one Friese game (Power Grid) which is excellent but I also don't know how often I actually would want to play it.
I've only played two Kiseling games (Azul and Azul: Stained Glass of Sintras) and 3 three Kramer games (Downforce, Colleseum, 6 nimmt!) which are all great. I'm excited to try Pueblo when it comes back into print.
I've only played three big-name Knizia games (High Society, Lost Cities, and Through the Desert once) and those are some of the best games I've ever played. I've played some smaller ones because he's so prolific it's impossible not to (Colossal Arena, Age of War, probably others).
I've played three Lehmann games (Race, Roll, Jump Drive) and most people like those games more than I do but I like Race and Roll fine. I want to try Res Arcana but the themelessness just puts me to sleep.
I've played three Walker-Harding games (Barenpark, Sushi Go, Adventure Games: The Dungeon) and I enjoyed them all but only Barenpark is truly excellent.
I've played four games from the Brands (4 Exit games) and have quite enjoyed them.
I've played several Bauza games (7 Wonders, Hanabi, Tokaido, Oceanos) which are all good but kinda showing their age. (He also did 7 Wonders Duel, which is excellent and listed below with its co-designer.)
I've played several Cathala games (7 Wonders Duel, Kingdomino, Five Tribes, Jamaica once) and they are typically quite excellent even if my brain seizes up at Five Tribes.
I've played many Vlaada games (Codenames, Codenames Duet, TTA through the App, Galaxy Trucker, and Space Alert, Tash Kalar, Pictomania & Travel Blog once each) and some of those games are my favorites ever.
I've played only two Lang games (Blood Rage and Quarriors once each) so I am not prepared to judge, but I liked Blood Rage okay.
I've played the two most well known Saxon games (Acquire and Can't Stop) and they are both very good. I've heard Sleuth is great.
I don't believe I have played any Wallace or Drover games, and would like to rectify that either with Brass or Railways of the World.
I've never played a Lacerda. None have seemed like they are for me, and the ones that might like Escape Plan still look pretty mid.

Another few smaller names:
Wolfgang Warsch who designed (as part of a team) Wavelength and The Mind that I really enjoy but also Quacks of Quedlinburg and Ganz Shon Clever (which I have not played).
Jon Perry who designed Air, Land, and Sea and (as part of a team) Spots which are both terrific games.
Peer Sylvester designed The King Is Dead, which I have played and enjoyed a lot, but also several popular games like Brian Boru, The Lost Expedition and Wir sind das Volk! that I have not played.
Emerson Matsuuchi designed Volt: Robot Battle Arena, Spectre Ops and Century: Spice Road all of which I have played and are very good.
Amabell Holland has designed many games that have my interest such as Dual Gauge, The Field of Cloth and Gold, This Guilty Land, For-Ex, Nicaea, and others. I have played none of them and need to rectify that one of these years. Dual Gauge has me captivated at the moment, because the idea of plopping down cubes/trains in a cube rails like Iberian Gauge or Chicago Express doesn't interest me nearly as much as actually placing track.

Among those, who is the best? I mean, there is absolutely no contest. Anyone who can design games as diverse and terrific as Through The Ages, Galaxy Trucker and Codenames can't be anywhere but the top. Sure, some individual games may be better but I don't think the best designer is not the person who designed the singularly best game.

Who's the worst? Well, I avoided talking about the usual punching bags because I still see a game or two of theirs that I might like. Even Trzewiczek made 51st State which seems like it's extremely my thing but I've never played it. The only designer who I'm unlikely to ever play (for non-'being an IRL bastard' reasons) would be Lacerda. They all just seem so tiresome. I've much rather try something like an 18xx or Splotter.

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Among those, who is the best? I mean, there is absolutely no contest. Anyone who can design games as diverse and terrific as Through The Ages, Galaxy Trucker and Codenames can't be anywhere but the top. Sure, some individual games may be better but I don't think the best designer is not the person who designed the singularly best game.

For me it's between Vlaada and Rosenberg. Vlaada probably gets the edge just for the variety. Plus Vlaada has that great way of putting an introductory game in the rulebook so that you can learn the mechanics gradually. Probably a big part of why his digital adaptations are so great. I probably personally enjoy the Uwe games more - particularly Agricola. It's just such a tight design.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FoglyOgly posted:

For me it's between Vlaada and Rosenberg. Vlaada probably gets the edge just for the variety. Plus Vlaada has that great way of putting an introductory game in the rulebook so that you can learn the mechanics gradually. Probably a big part of why his digital adaptations are so great. I probably personally enjoy the Uwe games more - particularly Agricola. It's just such a tight design.

Vlaada took his Codenames money and disappeared. :(

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

richard garfield designed netrunner and therefore I “gotta hand it to him”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Vlaada took his Codenames money and disappeared. :(

He also had kids at just about the same age as mine and hoo wow I do not blame him for not designing big games lately.

I'm sad about it obviously.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

panko posted:

richard garfield designed netrunner and therefore I “gotta hand it to him”

I should really learn OG netrunner to compare it to the modern version.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

og netrunner is a ccg, which means that there’s multiple occasions where a rarer card supplants another by having better numbers, and the numbers are kind of ridiculous in contrast to the modern game, but the bones are there. ffg/nsg’s takes are more fun and balanced to play but onr has an entertaining touch of being set in the pondsmith cyberpunk universe, so there’s a lot of references and easter eggs that’ll be familiar to folk who’ve played 2077

also there’s cards like this

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Friese makes a ton of mid rate euros but fresh fish is just so good. Too bad the only available version now is the giant gently caress off box and you have to play with some rules variations for the first edition.

Much like how imperial as it was meant to be played got shoved into a variant.

As much as I dislike Knizia going soft on us and making more contemporary MRE versions of their classic designs, at least using a new title is better than having to research a rabbit hole of forum posts to find the good rules.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Tresham is the fount from which all that is Good and Holy springs forth.

Rosenberg - Wallace - Cathala - Vlaada - Freaky Deaky Dutch Boyz at Splotter - Knizia - Dorn - Gerdts

and special shout out to all my insane homies that design 18xx games, you're the real stars

Bottom Liner posted:

Lacerdas are the opposite of Splotters. You get a huge space of systems and interactions to do the same thing as everyone else and the main struggle is making those systems work to get you there. The game drives your choices and strategy.

As much as people hyperfocus on FCM having set openings, the game branches out into a million different paths after those initial choices. You're playing against the other players instead of the systems of the game. They're just a sandbox where almost nothing happens without players causing it.

I love this description. I feel like that's maybe my biggest issue with the bloated MWE/HWE in that I am fighting the game system itself more than being let loose into the playground. Maybe it's just personal preference now from playing more sandboxy games but it feels like wearing a straitjacket when I sit down and have to play a Lacerda or Sagel/Spil or whatever anemic track-climber with a million goddamn sideboards covered in little cardboard shields or goals I'm supposed to be aiming for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Tresham is the fount from which all that is Good and Holy springs forth.

Civ and 1830, it's absolutely ridiculous

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

FulsomFrank posted:

I love this description. I feel like that's maybe my biggest issue with the bloated MWE/HWE in that I am fighting the game system itself more than being let loose into the playground. Maybe it's just personal preference now from playing more sandboxy games but it feels like wearing a straitjacket when I sit down and have to play a Lacerda or Sagel/Spil or whatever anemic track-climber with a million goddamn sideboards covered in little cardboard shields or goals I'm supposed to be aiming for.

This makes sense because in the progression from old school Euro to "modern" Euro, when you reduce player interaction you need to add complexity in order to make the game engaging at all, so in a very real way you really are often playing solo vs. the game's systems rather than against the other players.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Cyclades legendary mondo deluxe edition KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opensesamegames/cyclades-legendary-edition?lang=fr

Kind of a weird one from my perspective. I love Cyclades but this almost feels like a little undercooked for what they're calling "legendary". There's no Hades, no Titans, none of the mini-expansion stuff... but they've leaned into the heroes which I never liked that much personally. They also added a new god, Hera, who feels like they kinda tried to add a mix of Hades/Cronos sorta. Unless I'm not reading it right.

The modular Inish-esque board is absolutely gorgeous though and you can't say they're skimping on making it the be all end all of components, even if I think the meeples are more interesting than the minis (PERSONALLY).

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"
Trajan is awesome because the rule book says 'players must not neglect to give other players a hard time in crucial situations'.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sinlaeshel posted:

Trajan is awesome because the rule book says 'players must not neglect to give other players a hard time in crucial situations'.
Finally RAW that allow me to say to someone “Wow you really suck at this game”

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Finally RAW that allow me to say to someone “Wow you really suck at this game”

Stop playing solo games

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

Stop playing solo games

:hmmyes:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Stop playing solo games
Make me, bitch

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So thanks everyone for putting answers to my train games questions.
Age of Steam is what I went with as my next step after Iberian Gauge, and it's freakin great. I've played 2, 2, 3, 4, and 5 player on various maps of the new EGG version and it's so hugely different across different maps I think this one is going to keep fresh for a long time.

I've also got a friend who I found out has a copy of 1846 RttM and they're gonna do a teaching game with me and a couple others next month which is exciting.

Also, it's my birthday on Sunday and I found out by accident that my wife got me Obsession which I've been obsessed (heh) with on BGA, so I'm very excited to play that in person. I'm a big nerd and love the theme even though it's a relatively simple med-weight game. Will share some pics of game night when I get to play it!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AoS is really solid, and I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on 46, I love it but a lot of crusty train gamers don't.

Always glad to hear successful train game fun, for sure.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I do love Obsession! I also found it on bga and gave been playing a bunch of games with the same three people. Let me know how it plays on the table, I can see it being fun in front of you, but curious how much faff there is without the al computer doing it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, Iki got the Shut Up and Sit Down bump and is now selling out all over.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol, Iki got the Shut Up and Sit Down bump and is now selling out all over.

It's nice that Tom can do that now. Soon hopefully Eva will have the same effect if they don't already.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is Ankh any good? I got an alert that it's on sale and I cannot remember for the life of me why I would have set a reminder about it. Was there someone here praising it?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ok I was one of the first modern board game KS I knew about after researching fervently via Rahdo. Then I was saddened when I found out it was via KS and sold out years earlier and had an epic version with little dolls.

I know I likely wouldn’t have played it much now given that I’m more into splotters and xx and mean old interactive euros, but I would’ve definitely enjoyed having a copy that had little dolls.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They let my rear end be captain in my first two ever games of Captain Sonar. We ran a short turn based one, which we lost (one hit ends) and a real time which was close but we won. Felt pretty good about that because my crew's confidence in me as captain was, by all appearances, quite low. I had to ignore my radio operator for the final torpedo launch, sent it where I knew they were for the Direct Hit!!

It was a lot of fun but I would be anyway reticent to play it again. Everyone kept getting mad at me for the volume of my voice. I speak in a low volume all the time - it comes up regularly at BGN especially - and I just can't really speak louder than that with any consistency unless I'm fully yelling. Add that my first mate threatened to quit repeatedly because I wasn't using systems often enough and I didn't feel like anyone wanted to be my friend (nearer the end of the game one person did apologize and said they were mostly kidding and understand but it still feels pretty bad). I mean, that guy sucks a lot, all the time, but still. He also kept getting miffed at my Sonar call-outs. Leave me alone...

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 30, 2023

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

FulsomFrank posted:

Is Ankh any good? I got an alert that it's on sale and I cannot remember for the life of me why I would have set a reminder about it. Was there someone here praising it?

Ankh is great and feels to me like if Knizia designed a DOAM game. Massively under appreciated IMO. If you play it make sure everyone understands the merge and how it’s something you need to plan for tactically, it’s an anti bash the leader as well as catch-up mechanism. It’s the one thing that some people react negatively to if they don’t grok it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Is there any point of picking up the revised edition of Agricola if you have all the old expansions already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Durendal posted:

Is there any point of picking up the revised edition of Agricola if you have all the old expansions already?

Revised sucks, 2007 ver GOAT