Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

I mean investing in artillery is probably a good thing, too bad it is for a 70,000 man army...

look ill have u know that each of those guns is going to be hand-forged by master smiths in crapton-upon-shitriver and enchanted for accuracy by the order of court jester wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

why is an island reshaping its pitiful army to defend against a land invasion?

civil war

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Caledonian people's republic

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

BearsBearsBears posted:

That's the impression I got from his post and I didn't think there was anything odd about the way he phrased it. It just sounded like a warning.

Am I autistic?

if you havent been doxxed online before probably not, but it sounds like a threat otherwise

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Leandros posted:

Wait are you saying your parents are German or were stationed there at some point?

You have shared so many very specific things about your life while being part of a NATO member's armed forces, aren't you afraid of being doxxed at this point? Like off the top of my head I can name 6 things about you, 2-3 of which would probably be enough to filter the list of possibles to a handful.

Any one or all of them could of course be complete bullshit but still, it always seemed so callous. When push comes to shove I'm sure whatever is the military academic equivalent of tenure can be overridden in this rules based order.

How about you gently caress the gently caress off, creep?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Holy poo poo, that 72 would make for a great model

BearsBearsBears posted:

Am I autistic?

Do you post in cspam?

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Jun 30, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Max has got that drip but Tracey still looks like a loving slob

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
addressing the UN Security Council in a goddamn polo shirt, gently caress you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leandros posted:

Wait are you saying your parents are German or were stationed there at some point?

You have shared so many very specific things about your life while being part of a NATO member's armed forces, aren't you afraid of being doxxed at this point? Like off the top of my head I can name 6 things about you, 2-3 of which would probably be enough to filter the list of possibles to a handful.

Any one or all of them could of course be complete bullshit but still, it always seemed so callous. When push comes to shove I'm sure whatever is the military academic equivalent of tenure can be overridden in this rules based order.

gonna go out on a limb and say that we shouldn't allow people who make deranged doxxing threats to post here

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

gonna go out on a limb and say that we shouldn't allow people who make deranged doxxing threats to post here

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
i think he would contend that he was doing a favor by pointing out that he could be doxed.. based on information that he has been either tracking over time or by going back through Flake's posts...

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't believe it was intended as a threat but it wasn't entirely in good faith either given their history itt. Anyways, as I said I think regardless of intent that qualifies for the bad post tax. I queued a larger punishment and will stand by it assuming an admin approves it.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - Ukraine is making use of the element of surprise, the Prigozhin-Putin infighting, and Ukraine's versatility, modern weaponry and cleverness on the battlefield to make incremental gains in territory and battlefield intelligence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ukraine-ap-kyiv-vladimir-putin-donetsk-b2366974.html

Ukraine aims to wear down and outsmart a Russian army distracted by infighting
Samya Kullab
15 minutes ago

The ambush had been postponed three times before Ukrainian commanders decided one recent night that conditions were finally right. Cloaked in darkness, a battalion of Kyiv’s 129th brigade pressed ahead, advancing stealthily on unsuspecting Russian soldiers.

By the time the Russians situated along the front line realized they were under attack, it was too late.

Ukraine's recapture of the small village of Neskuchne in the eastern Donetsk region on June 10 encapsulates the opening strategy of a major counteroffensive launched earlier this month. Small platoons bank on the element of surprise and, when successful, make incremental gains in territory and battlefield intelligence.

“We had a few scenarios. In the end, I think we chose the best one. To come quietly, unexpectedly,” said Serhii Zherebylo, the 41-year-old deputy commander of the battalion that retook Neskuchne.

Across the 1,500-kilometer (930-mile) front line, Ukrainian forces are attempting to wear down the enemy and reshape battle lines to create more favorable conditions for a decisive, eastward advance. One strategy could be to try to split Russia's forces in two so that the Crimean Peninsula, which Moscow illegally annexed in 2014, is isolated from the rest of the territory it controls.

Ukraine's troops were given a boost of morale last week by an armed rebellion in Russia that posed the most significant threat to President Vladimir Putin's power in more than two decades. Yet how the revolt by Wagner Group mercenaries under the command of Russian warlord Yevgeny Prigozhin affects the trajectory of the war remains to be seen.

The infighting is a major distraction for Russia's military and political leaders, but experts say the impact on the battlefield so far appears minimal.

Along the front line, however, the strength of the Russian military remains unchanged since the revolt.

It is not clear where Ukraine will attempt to decisively punch through, but any success will rely on newly formed, Western-equipped brigades that are not yet deployed. For now, Russia's deeply fortified positions and relative air superiority are slowing Ukraine's advance.

Military experts say it is hard to say who has the advantage: Russia is dug-in with manpower and ammunition, while Ukraine is versatile, equipped with modern weaponry and clever on the battlefield.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whats with the weird fixation people have on FFlake, do they think he's leaking western artilleey secrets to russia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Whats with the weird fixation people have on FFlake, do they think he's leaking western artilleey secrets to russia

he posts catholic military dude stuff in cspam making him a character or brand that stands out

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Like the promise of the liberal order they fight for, Ukraine is making incremental gains towards progress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

addressing the UN Security Council in a goddamn polo shirt, gently caress you

Crumpled green t-shirts are formal wear now. A polo shirt is basically the new white tie.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

He's the closest thing we have to an expert on this subject and he publicly disagrees witb liberals and nothing makes a liberal angier than an expert who tells them they're full of poo poo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They envy his incredible typing speed, which admittedly, I also am jelly about

dieselfruit posted:

Just to quickly resurrect denim chat, there are no more American-made denim mills any more now that Cone Mills has shut down. There's still deadstock floating around that some brands could get a hold of - I have a pair that Levis made in a short run on I think their LVC label, in a neat throwback 1940s cut. But now the good poo poo is all imported from Japan, which has (had?) a whole subculture around vintage Americana. They all boil down to Levis repros and are often over constructed and heavier weight - I like Iron Heart, who do a 21oz denim as part of their main line. You're spending nerd money for your imported pants, though. I can recommend Naked and Famous (and its cheaper sub-brand Unbranded) for more reasonably priced jeans in sturdy weights - you're not paying 60 bucks a pair, but they're a good product and have a few different cuts. They frequently do novelty releases in ultra-heavyweight denim - I think their heaviest has been 32oz fabric that was a short run since it kept breaking the sewing machines.

Anyways, that's enough about pants.

+1 for N&F

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/1674233376008716290

think about all the people who got mad at this tweet

and it's the same thing, except for artillery

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BearsBearsBears posted:

That's the impression I got from his post and I didn't think there was anything odd about the way he phrased it. It just sounded like a warning.

Am I autistic?

Taking things at face value and not being able to read the room are classic signs of autism, so maybe? I saw it as concern too, because I've often thought the same thing about the amount of PII FF just tosses out. I think some people have trouble differentiating the ability to have that kind of thought from being the type of person who would carry through on it, and Leandros has been weird about defending nazi insignia so theres some added bad blood there I guess. People are weird.

Starsfan posted:

i think he would contend that he was doing a favor by pointing out that he could be doxed.. based on information that he has been either tracking over time or by going back through Flake's posts...

I'm not keeping track of anything, its just a vague sense based on the forbidden art of memory that if I *was* the kind of deranged weirdo willing to invest an afternoon going back through posts I probably could build a profile. Not that I have notes, or that I'm willing to invest the time, or that I have any plans for the profile, but that I could, and if I could do it someone else could as well.

Although I guess its like making an observation to a stranger in a coffee shop that you could very easily follow them outside and stuff them in your trunk if you wanted to, as a friendly warning. True, maybe, but an extremely weird and off putting thing to say.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Jun 30, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Anyways

Ardennes posted:

I mean investing in artillery is probably a good thing, too bad it is for a 70,000 man army...

Every soldier gets a GPS guided smart artillery piece and launches 70,000 simultaneous pinpoint strikes. Unbeatable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BearsBearsBears posted:

Am I autistic?

The context you may be missing is there are enough weirdos reading these threads (banned, lurking, or even other active posters) that you really don't want to give out a roadmap to how they could potentially hurt their posting enemies IRL. If I was genuinely worried about someone's safety and thought they had possibly doxxed themselves I would send them a PM. I also definitely would not publicly mention that their tenure might not be enough to protect them because that starts to sound like you're trying to make them feel unsafe using the particulars of their life.

That's all I'll say on it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

fizzy posted:

Sanders is said to have repeatedly clashed with Adm Sir Tony Radakin, the chief of the defence staff, who beat him to the top job as head of the armed forces in October 2021. Radakin was previously head of the Royal Navy, and army sources complain that he favours spending on costly warships.

The top levels of the UK armed forces are hilariously bitchy, they're forever squabbling and undermining and bitching about each other to their tame journalist contacts in the press lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/1674233376008716290

think about all the people who got mad at this tweet

and it's the same thing, except for artillery

That lady looks very lovely in her spare curtain. I hope Adam Sandler treats her right.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

fizzy posted:

Military experts say it is hard to say who has the advantage: Russia is dug-in with manpower and ammunition, while Ukraine is versatile, equipped with modern weaponry and clever on the battlefield.

The Russians might have the numbers and the logistics but the Ukrainians... the Ukrainians have elan.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
denim chat: my dad got drafted during vietnam and somehow managed to work out a deal where he'd extend his contract in exchange to get a chance to apply to be a diplomatic guard and if he didn't get in then welp, but he did make it and spent 4 years in prague trading jeans and cigarettes that my grandma sent him every month. i saw him a few weeks ago and talked to him about it briefly and as i recall, while jeans were way more popular, by volume in packages, the cigarettes eked out in trade value and it was marlboro and kool that he had the best trade in.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That was my experience as well. Denim was cool, but in the 90s we were always taking back cartons of marlboro reds and peanut butter

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

They envy his incredible typing speed, which admittedly, I also am jelly about

when he said he posted all this on his phone (one of the six key doxxable facts) I was like okay this is some sort of bit. That’s not real.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Folks I hate to say it, but I think the fact that Ukraine couldn't do anything with a mercenary defection in the russian camp, suggests they might not be able to win this war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Asproigerosis posted:

Folks I hate to say it, but I think the fact that Ukraine couldn't do anything with a mercenary defection in the russian camp, suggests they might not be able to win this war.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

its because they are morons op

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

That's not true, one Ukrainian posted a photo of themselves next to some fresh popcorn on social media. That's worth at least 15 divisions by itself.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

A quran a day keeps the nato away

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Jealousy.

Why is this one guy who talks so much popular but everyone barfs on their monitor whenever I talk and call me stupid?

It must be the fault of this other guy who I now feel compelled to tear down. Oh no i fumbled my wicked sick burns and my pants fell down, now everyone is mocking me again. Oh no I am undone. Curse you more popular guy!

Homeless Friend posted:

its because they are morons op

Essentially this.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Best Friends posted:

he said he posted all this on his phone

No loving way

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1674550868455178240

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Taking things at face value and not being able to read the room are classic signs of autism, so maybe? I saw it as concern too, because I've often thought the same thing about the amount of PII FF just tosses out.

A bunch of cspam posters have made basically the same post at FF but none of them have sounded so eerily like a veiled threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was at the beach over the weekend, and I picked up one of those toy shovels, and I started digging

One of my nieces comes up to me, and asks me what I'm doing, and I tell her "well, if the enemy starts coming in from the ocean, we need to have a trench for cover. Would you like to help?"

She nods, and starts digging too

When the trench gets to about four inches deep and a foot and a half in length, I change direction to angle it perpendicular to the coast. My other niece then asks why, and I explain that it's to prevent the enemy from being able to see down the entire length of the trench if they ever get inside. "This way, we can isolate them to just the one part of the trench that they get into"

it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head, and she helps her sister zigzag the trench on the other side from the one I'm working on

Later, I help them fill up a bucket with sand (not too wet!), and then turn it over, to create "a big bunker that's going to overlook our trenches", as I use my fingernail to carve out a small firing slit. Later, they start looking for rocks and start putting them in the trenches and on top of the bunker. They're "the guards", they tell me

By the time we left the beach at sunset, we had one more bunker, about ten feet of trenchworks, and a communications trench running between the main line and the bunkers

That was all stuff I picked up from this thread, and I'm glad I was able to entertain and connect with my extended family for a while