Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Night Visitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Demon
Chapter 18.04

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The end! No moral.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I kept telling you guys things would get wacky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJkUnufaUsg

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

NAG posted:

The Swamp Queen (4/4)

The shocking conclusion to the story. Thank you for reading!

That was so good, thank you for posting it!

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

NAG posted:

The Swamp Queen

this was extremely good. Great job, I love it.

NOT AGAIN

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, spooky yet lovely

01/02/2017 - Look at that dream come true

quote:

Picked the winner from the BPAL giveaway via random number generator, right now it’s this person unless they tell me they don’t want it and to pick someone else;

Probably not a good idea to have your hair out in surgery like that but hey, Mercy is about nothing if not brand recognition.

01/09/2017 - Tears in Rain

quote:

January 8th is Roy Batty’s birthday so I was trying to figure out some kinda “robots and birds” joke then I realized I could really only think of two robots with birds.

So, submitted for your approval, the C-Beams Monologue as delivered by Bastion.

01/16/2017 - Someone told me they think of young McCree as Jared and now I can’t unthink it.

quote:

I’ve always been partial to the idea that McCree is 100% fake urban aesthetic cowboy who came to Overwatch with no idea how to ride a horse or start a fire or do really anything outdoorsy much to the frustration of actual farmer Strike Commander Morrison.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t know how people remember to post their comics every day.

I guess not being a wreck of a person with no routine helps.

Have a double helping of Slime Life

Unrelated but I really enjoyed the Swamp Queen

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know how people remember to post their comics every day.

I guess not being a wreck of a person with no routine helps.

I just do it while drinking my morning coffee

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Thinking he has the upper hand, Esidi grips Jos3ph's hand and starts to throw him! Jos3ph leaps into the throw, pivoting around Esidi's arm and wrapping it in an oil-soaked string, which he'd been secretly unwinding and keeping hold of for just such an opportunity!

Doing another full-size page instead of a single panel because it rules

Read right to left:

Volume 9 - Run Into the Hole
Chapter 78 - Conditions of Combustions of Acids, Part 1

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Decap Attack

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Tres battable.

I don't know how many of these have English versions on the web, but it's a great comic.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Kingly

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm happy the king learned his advisor's name.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #4: "D.A.R.E to Resist Ninja Drugs and Ninja Violence" (Part 2)

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know how many of these have English versions on the web, but it's a great comic.

Was translated as “Mr. Invincible” for the English version: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49798868-mr-invincible

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, I like what I've seen of (Mr.) Invincible, but that's mostly the handful of strips that get posted more frequently.

e: oh it's a book I have to pay actual monies for? :saddumb:
I'll think about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's really good and there are a handful of strips that rely on the physical layout of the page in ways that would be difficult to replicate digitally.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
"You were talking to Popeye for less than five minutes, how did you memorize all these Libertarian talking points?" got me good

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

Dr. McNinja is actually holding up, I thought I might not like it now that it's been forever since I read it and the premise is so juvenile.

I really identify with the main character. Especially on days like today where I, with no ninja training AND no doctor training, had to jump through a broken glass window to get to a girl who was having a seizure on a concrete floor and hold her steady.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

There it is, this is the thing that made me start posting SDM here. I just had to share, I reread this sequence like a dozen times the day it went up and I laughed every time. If anyone was expecting this without having read ahead, I applaud you - it took me completely off guard.

Edit: also agreed on McNinja holding up generally well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A TREE'S NATURAL LIFESPAN

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

THE FREAK

OIL BURNS ITSELF OUT

THE TIGER TRAINER

To calm the shitposter you must be the shitposter

TOELESS SHU

A regular trope in ZhuangZhi's lessons was Confucius being a conceited jerk and having to admit he's wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel a lot of those stories give you a sense for what kinda society he was writing in and its values, at least the ones he has something to say about, at least through context. Definitely a running theme of looking past the obvious and strict societal roles of people and objects. I suppose that's why Confucius is being the foil with an extremely strict and black and white worldview and little to say to those who by definition cannot fit into a societal mold of accepted behaviour.

Also some fairly common sense advice about animal training. As put in Nope every animal, no matter how well trained, has instincts and behaviours that can't be controlled and must be at best kept in mind and worked around, because they cannot be made to understand things the way a human does. A successful animal trainer has to be patient, flexible, observant, and bend to things they cannot control. Useful skills in a lot of aspects of life.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces

#62: Madness - Cut Log, Part 3

#63: Madness - Curiouser And Curiouser

#64: Madness - Transmitted Tingle!

MS Paint Masterpieces
#65: Madness - Whoops

#66: Madness - Cut Log, Part 4

#67: Madness - Brotherly Abandonment

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Messer Papero

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zhi LiShu of THE FREAK reminds me of the living bodhisattva Ji Gong 濟公, the beggar monk who was absolutely not very monk or saint like at all. He loved hanging out in the streets with vagrants, constantly depicted with wine and a fan (to depict a tendency for carefreeness and enjoying the present). Graphical representation of him can range from "not bad, a cool dude to hang out with at 3am"

to "a weird little freak who gives you quests in a soulslike game and laughs at you when you return from a restart"

He's also likely the progenitor of the "beggar clan" often found in wuxia media, where an underground group of people hiding in plain sight but unnoticed due to them being homeless bely a strong sense of community and justice, and super awesome kung fu. Think of them as the Baker Street Irregulars but with more anarchism and enigmatic leadership. Or rather a version of Lawrence Fishburne's character in the John Wick movies

As a living bodhisattva he of course gets worshipped

For one reason or another I found a version of him as the cartoon Mr Bean which I'm not sure Mr Atkinson approves

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jun 30, 2023

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Zhuangzi's admonition to be as useless as possible, just a total waste of space, absolutely no good for any purpose on earth, really speaks to me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tendales posted:

Zhuangzi's admonition to be as useless as possible, just a total waste of space, absolutely no good for any purpose on earth, really speaks to me.

the truest wisdom

"never display any ability or talent, otherwise people will want you to do stuff"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Are we sure Zhuangzi wasn't a psyop planted by Mongol agents? What with his compelling message of "ugh arrows are lame and only losers build large north-facing walls"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Not that I don't appreciate the joke, but Genghis Khan is a good 1000 years or so later than when Zhuangzi was writing. The steppe people to the north in that time (alright, somewhat after that time) were the Xiongnu who had begun to confederate in response to the Qin unification/expansion of China.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

gently caress it, it's double urban fantasy time. I present to Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 1: Of Daybreak

quote:

A tengu is an utterly proud and arrogant creature (so much that the Japanese saying, "to become a tengu," means to preen conceitedly) that is said to steal young children away from their homes. In this story, the fractured and disgraced remnants of the tengu species come together from all over the country to rise up, reclaim their pride, and rule over the nation of Japan, as is their right. What kind of effect will the "Tengu Party" have on the humans of Japan, and more importantly, what exactly makes a tengu?

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jun 30, 2023

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hm. Did not see that coming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tendales posted:

Something about in a society that's been based around notoriously difficult exams for literally a thousand years and likely all the pressure associated with them, living as someone who has no expectations to live up to must be incredibly freeing.

Although then again he does also make the point that to do your job correctly, you need to actually understand what you're supposed to do and why you're supposed to it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Not that I don't appreciate the joke, but Genghis Khan is a good 1000 years or so later than when Zhuangzi was writing. The steppe people to the north in that time (alright, somewhat after that time) were the Xiongnu who had begun to confederate in response to the Qin unification/expansion of China.

Ah, I should've done some googling first.
I remember reading somewhere that the Xiongnu may actually have been the Huns, which leads me to suspect that I don't know how to pronounce Xiongnu.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Almost forgot to post Takako as well.

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 8

Takako-san chapter 9

I'm... not entirely certain what happened in this chapter. I suspect the translation may be to blame.

Tree Bucket posted:

Ah, I should've done some googling first.
I remember reading somewhere that the Xiongnu may actually have been the Huns, which leads me to suspect that I don't know how to pronounce Xiongnu.

No worries, I'm just being a pedant. I wouldn't worry about the name either, neither is what they would have called themselves - Xiongnu is Chinese (and derogatory - it means 'fierce slave'), while Hun is Latin although the etymology is unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin