Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1674506072868941853
:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
thread on Russian economic troubles

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1674692578489294848

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1674692578489294848.html

projecting RU propagandists

https://twitter.com/TheKremlinYap/status/1674708393775230976

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 30, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sucks to be them. Except now even if they turn around and go back home immediately, nothing will change for many years, maybe even decades, to come.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Anders posted:

This is maybe the first arms shipment I'm against - while I don't think the UA will deliberately target civilians - I'm positive that some of these weapons will fall into the hands of Russians or criminals, and we don't really want that eh. Obviously a risk for everyone, but people shooting this into residential areas in a gang war will be pretty horrible
The same could be argued for all weapons shipped to Ukraine? I am not a cluster munitions doctor but I am pretty sure for most types you need a heavy piece of equipment (artillery piece or aircraft) to deploy the munition. A create of AKs/RPGs would be much worse to fall into a gang's hands than a cluster bomb. You have a really weird angle to be against cluster munitions shipped to Ukraine when there is a much better one (UXO).

Russia also has cluster munitions in its inventory.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

HonorableTB posted:

E: holy poo poo this can't be the same family of IL-22M as first flew in 1947 right can it? That's absolutely bonkers

It most certainly is not. The IL-22 that flew in 1947 was a single-aircraft bomber prototype. The IL-22M Airborne Command Post is a derivative of the IL-18 airliner. The first IL-18s flew in 1957, but the -22M is derived from a later model, probably from the mid 1970s. The aircraft may have been manufactured as late as 1985.

Anders posted:

This is maybe the first arms shipment I'm against - while I don't think the UA will deliberately target civilians - I'm positive that some of these weapons will fall into the hands of Russians or criminals, and we don't really want that eh. Obviously a risk for everyone, but people shooting this into residential areas in a gang war will be pretty horrible

Russia's been hosing down residential areas with cluster bombs since the war began. They don't need to "capture" any, they make their own by the millions.

And a "gang war"? The smallest cluster warhead is still significantly larger than the largest weapons used by gangs - I think some Scandinavian gangs used shoulder-fired rocket launchers a few times, but that's the limit.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Gnoman posted:

And a "gang war"? The smallest cluster warhead is still significantly larger than the largest weapons used by gangs - I think some Scandinavian gangs used shoulder-fired rocket launchers a few times, but that's the limit.

:black101:

(Sounds like Sweden.)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674712465223942144
A command post and a fuel dump were destroyed by the missile strikes in Berdyansk.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/06/30/valery-zaluzhny-ukraine-general-interview/
General Zaluzhniy gave an interview to the Post, and he seems extremely annoyed that people are wondering why things are going slowly. And hearing his reasoning, I don't blame him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But I expected the war to be like one of my TikTok s :qq:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674707552687337472
Puccia is now so strong and united it's issuing rotten Mosins and shells from circa 1940 to its troops, and almost fell apart into a rebellion. Well, continue enjoying your fairy tales for as long as you like.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chris 0's thread and others like it are fantastic writeups of the precarious position of Russia's economy.

LOL!! CRASHING MY ECONOMY AND FAILING TO OWN THE PERFIDIOUS WEST

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The ruble devalued by 10% after the False Flag Coup which is cautiously promising

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HonorableTB posted:

putin: minister seagal, what is your plan to defeat kyiv?

seagal: *puts in VHS copy of Under Siege*

putin:

this would be a start

for one the terrorists have working air defense casey ryback is able to win ukrainians (Erika Eleniak) over to his side.

more likely he'll show the cumtown sniper shades clip

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1674734475517874181?s=20

An oddity: Russian forces using an Iskander missile to strike a military target instead of a shopping mall or an apartment building.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ne_vluchiv/status/1674381503331966977
Terrorist Gubarev, on Girkin's telegram show, claimed that 800 Ukrainians managed to, by themselves, stop 2 army corps (72,000 people plus their gear) near Bohorodychne last year.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

steinrokkan posted:

But I expected the war to be like one of my TikTok s :qq:

I think part of the issue is, the only other points of comparison we have are the Kharkiv and Kherson counter-offensives from last year, both of which for whatever reasons were a lot faster.

No other war is similar enough to use as a reference point: older wars had different tech, modern wars usually involved lots of guerrilla fighting (and sea/air power if the West was involved).

So if someone - not Zaluzhny, who has more important things to do - argues "the current counter-offensive is proceeding at normal speed", they must necessarily explain why the 2022 offensives were both abnormally fast, rather than this one being abnormally slow.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

I think part of the issue is, the only other points of comparison we have are the Kharkiv and Kherson counter-offensives from last year, both of which for whatever reasons were a lot faster.

No other war is similar enough to use as a reference point: older wars had different tech, modern wars usually involved lots of guerrilla fighting (and sea/air power if the West was involved).

So if someone - not Zaluzhny, who has more important things to do - argues "the current counter-offensive is proceeding at normal speed", they must necessarily explain why the 2022 offensives were both abnormally fast, rather than this one being abnormally slow.
I mean it's pretty easy to explain. Karkiv the russians were running on remains of the initial invading force and were super thin in the area. After a localized breakthrough they had to abandon and run to avoid getting encircled. Kherson they were stuck on the wrong side of a river with limited ability to supply the forces there and had to bail before poo poo got too bad.

We now have to dislodge russians after they had a year to dig in mine everything to poo poo. Without any air power. It would go much better if someone hadn't been hoarding all the good toys.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

zone posted:

Puccia is now so strong and united it's issuing rotten Mosins and shells from circa 1940 to its troops, and almost fell apart into a rebellion. Well, continue enjoying your fairy tales for as long as you like.

Hmm, yes, we are all laughing at Russia in admiration. Quite right.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

The thing is, it's fairly obvious why 2022's offenses were faster. 2022's offenses were pushing the Russians out of overextended or underdefended positions, whereas 2023's offensive to date have been against better prepared lines. There was some hope that the Russians would have dropped the ball on preparing their defenses, but that doesn't seemed to be the case, as least yet.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

mobby_6kl posted:

I mean it's pretty easy to explain. Karkiv the russians were running on remains of the initial invading force and were super thin in the area. After a localized breakthrough they had to abandon and run to avoid getting encircled. Kherson they were stuck on the wrong side of a river with limited ability to supply the forces there and had to bail before poo poo got too bad.

We now have to dislodge russians after they had a year to dig in mine everything to poo poo. Without any air power. It would go much better if someone hadn't been hoarding all the good toys.

Also Kherson took loving ages too. They cleared Kherson city on ~30th November but they'd been mounting the counter-offensive since at least mid September. It was a slow grind from up near Kryvyi Rih for months until the Russian defence finally collapsed and they GTFO of a large area over a couple days.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Anders posted:

Russia and Ukraine both have absolutely shitloads of cluster munitions that they inherited from the USSR that they've been using this entire time. This does not increase any kind of risk of Russia getting cluster munitions because Russia has had cluster munitions since like the 60s.

Cluster munitions aren't some uniquely horrible weapon of mass destruction, they're bad because of the amount of unexploded ordnance they cause, which will be a problem that will plague Ukraine for decades after this war is over. But that cat is already out of the bag.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Cluster munitions aren't some uniquely horrible weapon of mass destruction, they're bad because of the amount of unexploded ordnance they cause, which will be a problem that will plague Ukraine for decades after this war is over. But that cat is already out of the bag.

This. The UXO situation is already beyond hosed.

Again, Russia could just walk away and focus on fixing their relations to allow some economic future for its citizens. But this is going to go the hard way.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1674738977721532418
Window or tea? :birdthunk:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be honest: this Putin guy doesn't seem very honest to me. Constantly flip flopping on everything, lies all the time, never any consistency, lots of weaseling. Don't know if we should trust him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Dude better hope he's already long gone in his Diamond Mine in Africa

He seems stupid though, so he's probably a Hot Dog by now

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm gonna be honest: this Putin guy doesn't seem very honest to me. Constantly flip flopping on everything, lies all the time, never any consistency, lots of weaseling. Don't know if we should trust him.

I think you will find Putin is highly consistent and his stance on everything has never once wavered. His opinion has always been exactly whatever it is at the time you are reading this post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

CNN is reporting that Prig has been seen thunder running to Moscow in a hijacked Wienermobile technical. As unbelievable as this may sound, it cannot be denied that it is happening.

Oscar Mike?

no no we're-

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
No F-16s for Ukraine if they fall into the hands of gangs they'll be used for tactical airstrikes on residential areas against the rival gangs (the Banana Boys and the Rogues have a longstanding beef they're trying to settle with jdams).

Pretty horrible.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

GABA ghoul posted:

Spoken like a russophobic, decadent, HATO, homonazi westoid. You should believe everything President Putin says. Today. Ignore what he said yesterday. It doesn't conflict with what he says today because he didn't say anything yesterday.

Prigozin is a 'Hero of the Russian Federation', and a terrorist traitor, and a loyal mercenary making Russia stronger rooting out traitors, and banished to Africa Belarus. Where he will be assassinated for his treason. While he trains the troops of Lukashenko. Because Wagner PMC are recruiting in Russian cities. And prisons. And they're banished. And they're joining the Russian Army. And returning to their positions in Ukraine, while being dispersed among the troops in Ukraine. But rejoice! Wagner will not be in Ukraine anymore!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1674762734037004288?t=pj-iEAKPPHa6ETPTICQOsw&s=19

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

RDM posted:

No F-16s for Ukraine if they fall into the hands of gangs they'll be used for tactical airstrikes on residential areas against the rival gangs (the Banana Boys and the Rogues have a longstanding beef they're trying to settle with jdams).

Pretty horrible.

When you're a jet you're a jet all tha way

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tiaz posted:

this calls out M74 bomblets so I guess my link above is out of date and it's purely fragmentation now? either way, terrifying

I dont want bomblets

I want CHADACMS

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Oh baby this is one of the sexiest yet

I really hope they have a crew manning the gun at the same time they're firing off the rocket pod

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Prig is such a loving idiot.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Prig is such a loving idiot.

i'm not so sure present tense is really applicable to prigozhin these days.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

and I thought the MTLB carcasses mounted with rocket pods and naval guns were the worst we'd get. I was wrong.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/web_emerald/status/1674763837025689601
:laffo:
stuff on the bottom says, Prigozhin's elevation, lying generals, and Bakhmut on fire.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

Oh baby this is one of the sexiest yet

I really hope they have a crew manning the gun at the same time they're firing off the rocket pod

Very spicy indeed. :tif: :grovertruk: :supaburn:

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Runa posted:

lmao

the Soviets never got over the concept of ownership because they were too busy owning themselves

I’m sure the society that tracked mimeograph machines and typewriters would definitely have been down with open dialogue over the internet.

Production through the roof, if your main measurement is imprisoned dissidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

joke's on you; i actually love being body slammed by one dozen perfect mercenaries. and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine