Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aren't you normally not supposed to be able to sue based on a hypothetical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The X-man cometh posted:

That America is built on a system of white supremacy and that we need major structural changes, not just affirmative action at highly ranked colleges like Harvard and UNC and Michigan and Berkeley

Yes *and also* I am begging people with this take to read the several studies of Prop 209’s effect on the entire UC/CSU system (not just Berkeley).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OddObserver posted:

For federal cases, yes. You generally need an injury in fact afaik. For state cases, this isn't always the case. I'm not going to dig into this case, but if the case started and continued in federal courts then they would have had a claim of some injury in fact.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Upgrade posted:

in some cultures SPAM is more regularly consumed so people like it, yes. It’s very salty pork.

It's commonly given as a fancy gif set for Chuseok (the Korean harvest festival, basically their Thanksgiving). Probably a legacy of American soldiers.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 30, 2023

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BeAuMaN posted:

For federal cases, yes. You generally need an injury in fact afaik. For state cases, this isn't always the case. I'm not going to dig into this case, but if the case started and continued in federal courts then they would have had a claim of some injury in fact.

You’re acting like this Court cares about standing, though. It’s a fiction in both 303 Creative and student loan case. The fact that the webmaster ask in 303 creative was purely hypothetical was acknowledged in the oral arguments! Everyone has known it this entire time! It was the very first question!

“Clarence Thomas
Counsel, would you spend just a few minutes on whether or not this -- your case is ripe?”

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 30, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OddObserver posted:

In order to sue, you have to be able to demonstrate standing, which means you have to be able to credibly point to some actual injury you've suffered or are extremely likely to suffer, and generally speaking it can't be too much of a bullshit stretch (though where the line is drawn is ultimately up to the court to decide).

This makes it difficult to sue on hypothetical future harms, but not impossible. It is possible to file a pre-enforcement challenge against a law if you think the law is unconstitutional and you think you can convince the courts that something you honestly want to do is definitely going to fall afoul of that law.

In this case, the district court did initially rule against standing and made a summary judgment against the plaintiff. The plaintiff then appealed to the 10th Circuit, which ruled that the plaintiff did have standing but that the law was plainly constitutional, and therefore made a summary judgment against the plaintiff. That went up to the Supreme Court, which could rule the law constitutional, rule the law unconstitutional, or rule that the plaintiff didn't have standing and therefore didn't have grounds to sue in the first place.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Petey posted:

You’re acting like this Court cares about standing, though. It’s a fiction in both 303 Creative and student loan case. The fact that the webmaster ask in 303 creative was purely hypothetical was acknowledged in the oral arguments! Everyone has known it this entire time! It was the very first question!

“Clarence Thomas
Counsel, would you spend just a few minutes on whether or not this -- your case is ripe?”
I answered in response to the question.

SCOTUS itself? Whether SCOTUS cares depends on how the wind is blowing and how many of the justices want to use that case as a vehicle to decide on something. I'm not going to pretend I'm watching every SCOTUS case but I vaguely recall some of the cases I looked at regarding mootness, the standard isn't really that strict and it depends on whether the justices are chomping on the bit or not to take the case.

(as usual to note though: I'm not a lawyer)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 30, 2023

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Petey posted:

It will absolutely be a factor although this is in *some* respects on the company side, and the product of 1) limited recruiting and 2) the broader withdrawal of on-the-job training. See e.g. https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/97992, a study of tech industry hiring practices that shows while Blacks and Hispanics are *overrepresented* in majoring in technical fields, they tend to do so at colleges that tech companies do not generally recruit from.

This was exacerbated by Prop 209 in California: the Bleemer study I linked above shows that similarly qualified Black students “cascaded” from Berkeley and UCLA to Riverside and Merced after the ban, and recruiters historically did not frequent those colleges as much.

The fundamental insight that Thomas does have is that affirmative action has allowed certain institutions and communities to feel diverse and be blind to broader structural inequalities. However, I am not optimistic that this ruling will force a confrontation with that reality; after all, it hasn’t in the many states. And Thomas isn’t even interested in that reform as much as a return to self-determination (as it were).

http://public.econ.duke.edu/~psarcidi/grades_4.0.pdf

Petey, this study by Duke University shows that black kids have a bigger interest in STEM than white kids do at elite schools, which is not surprising since black kids tend to come from more impoverished backgrounds and STEM is seen as a way to escape it, but due to mismatch, a lot of these kids start failing their STEM majors, then switch to humanities/social sciences in order to not drop out. The even bigger issue is black students straight up failing out of less selective schools at astonishing rates and putting tons of debt around their neck, they're a far larger population than the elite school kids.

quote:

In this paper we have analyzed how black and white educational outcomes at an elite university
vary over time. We have focused on two outcomes: grades and choice of major. An argument in
favor of affirmative action in college admissions is that it identifies students with much potential
but weak preparation, suggesting recipients should catch up to their more-prepared counterparts
over time. While at first blush there appears to be evidence of this as the differences in grades
between blacks and whites diminishes over their college careers, we show that this is not due to
differential learning. Rather, it results from both changes in how the grade distribution is used over
time (the grading distribution is more censored in later years) and changes in course selection.
Changes in course selection result from black and white students having very different persistence rates in the natural sciences, engineering, and economics. While conditional on sex black
students have stronger initial preferences than whites for majoring in the natural sciences, engineering, or economics, they are significantly less likely to choose one of these majors for their final
major. We show that these differences in persistence rates are fully explained by differences in
academic background. Courses in the natural sciences, engineering, and economics are rated more
difficult, are associated with higher study times, and have harsher grade distributions than those in the humanities and social sciences. The differences in difficulty levels across course types then
works to dissuade individuals with relatively worse academic backgrounds from persisting in natural
science, engineering, or economics majors.

The lack of minority representation in the sciences is of national interest and much money has
been spent on encouraging minorities to enter the sciences. Seymour and Hewitt (2000) point out
that the National Science Foundation alone has spent more than $1.5 billion to increase participation of minorities in the sciences, and two programs at the National Institute of Health have
invested $675 million in the same endeavor. It is possible, however, that affirmative action, is
working against these goals. Namely, affirmative action primarily affects where minorities enroll in
college, not whether they enroll, pushing students up through the school quality distribution (Arcidiacono, Khan, and Vigdor 2011). With the difference in course difficulty and grading standards
between the natural sciences, engineering, and economics and their humanities and social sciences
counterparts naturally leading the (relatively) least prepared students away from the sciences, affirmative action may be working to increase the number of non-science majors at top schools at the
expense of science majors at less-selective schools. That is, minority students would be higher up in
the preparation distribution at a less-selective school, potentially resulting in a higher probability
of persisting in a science major. However, more work is needed on a larger set of schools in order to
assess the counterfactual of how persistence rates in the sciences would change absent affirmative
action

We have far more fundamental issues than AA in college though, which i keep on hammering. I forgot who the journalist was, but someone was discussing how the left pretty much abandoned trying to close the black-white achievement gap or even talking about it (and if we are really honest about it, it's more like the everyone else-asian achievement gap) and we jumped straight to equity while black schools are failing at even higher rates than before. This is a fundamental problem that nobody is addressing even prior to college:

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 30, 2023

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mister Fister posted:

the majority of people (POC or not) shouldn't even go to college, it's becoming a complete scam, even if you do graduate.

Cool, so the minority can require a college degree and completely weed out THOSE people, just like the good old days.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitrousoxide posted:

Trump's theories on how he could overturn an election have all pretty much been swatted down in the courts right with this one? This would have theoretically allowed a state legislature to ignore the state constitution on how to apportion electors and let them override the will of the people. With this ruling they can't do that either.

No.

A state legislature with a state supreme court each packed with three Big Lie fascists can still ignore the state constitution. This ruling simply clarifies that state legislatures are subject to the review of the state courts.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

ulmont posted:

Cool, so the minority can require a college degree and completely weed out THOSE people, just like the good old days.

They can require tradesmen to have college degrees? There's a reason why fewer men are going to college, especially in this particular economic environment: they're getting good paying jobs that don't require one. They're not even going to trade school to do it. College degrees are being handed out like candy, at some point, it'll be worth less than toilet paper, especially at the rate that we're lowering standards so more people can graduate.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mister Fister posted:

They can require tradesmen to have college degrees? There's a reason why fewer men are going to college, especially in this particular economic environment: they're getting good paying jobs that don't require one. They're not even going to trade school to do it. College degrees are being handed out like candy, at some point, it'll be worth less than toilet paper, especially at the rate that we're lowering standards so more people can graduate.

I'm curious if there's been any research into ever-increasing qualification inflation. It seems like a Masters or PhD has the same value a bachelor's degree did decades ago.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Welp, the designer won the case and discrimination is fine now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

The Court holds that the First Amendment bars Colorado from forcing a website designer to create expressive designs speaking messages with which the designer disagrees.

Gorsuch decision: "Colorado seeks to force an individual to speak in ways that align with its views but defy her conscience about a matter of major significance."

"As surely as Ms. Smith seeks to engage in protected First Amendment speech," Gorsuch writes, "Colorado seeks to compel speech Ms. Smith does not wish to provide."

Court says that the wedding websites Smith seeks to create "involve her speech."

From the Sotomayor dissent: "Today, the Court, for the first time in its history, grants a business open to the public a constitutional right to refuse to serve members of a protected class."

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The 14th amendment really do be all over the place

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Good loving luck getting literally anything that can be argued as related to speech if you're not straight and cis in any red area, now. anything that involves any sort of design element (decorating, flower arrangements, loving websites) is going to get refused

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Piell posted:

Good loving luck getting literally anything that can be argued as related to speech if you're not straight and cis in any red area, now. anything that involves any sort of design element (decorating, flower arrangements, loving websites) is going to get refused

It’s a very weird ruling because they narrowly defined free speech as print, including on a website, but things like decorating and cake making are not free speech, per their ruling, so they still have to bake cakes etc. so I guess as a gay person I’ll just be sure to request they don’t print anything on my decorations or cakes and they can’t do poo poo about it?

If I didn’t know any better I’d say this court has no idea what it’s loving doing anymore and you’d get more consistent rulings by spinning a wheel

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
We have a NO STANDING call!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first student loan case (Dept of Education v. Brown) has been unanimously rejected over standing

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I want to just go to sleep and wake up in a world where these Sotomayor dissents are opinions instead.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Against forgiveness. gently caress.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The second student loan case is 6-3 so you can guess the ruling

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

gently caress!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

The key snippet on standing, which rests on MOHELA as we discussed before opinions started: "By law and function, MOHELA is an instrumentality of Missouri: It was created by the State to further a public purpose, is governed by state officials and state appointees, reports to the STate, and may be dissolved by the State. The [debt forgiveness] plan will cut MOHELA's revenues, impairing its efforts to aid Missouri college students. This acknowledged harm to MOHELA in the performance of its public function is necessarily a direct injury to Missouri itself."

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1674789562722430978

Hahahahahahaha

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Print the shirts

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its mildly interesting on just a like trivia level that another big Supreme Court case or I guess big not case is Brown vs [something] of Education.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Nice of Nancy Pelosi to provide a soundbite against cancellation that Roberts could use in his majority opinion. Democrats are loving worthless.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s a very weird ruling because they narrowly defined free speech as print, including on a website, but things like decorating and cake making are not free speech, per their ruling, so they still have to bake cakes etc. so I guess as a gay person I’ll just be sure to request they don’t print anything on my decorations or cakes and they can’t do poo poo about it?

If I didn’t know any better I’d say this court has no idea what it’s loving doing anymore and you’d get more consistent rulings by spinning a wheel

Sure, but that just means the next case will be "putting a rainbow on this cake is explicitly stating support for homosexuality, which is against my beliefs", which will progress to "accepting this same sex couple's reservation to my Bed and Breakfast would be sending the wrong message", to Mat Staver bouncing up to the Court and saying "and here's why those people over there pretending to be married is trampling over my rights."

Like, yeah, its a weird-rear end ruling that doesn't allow blanket discrimination the way that the ADF wants, but it's a big first step.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

They conveniently gloss over that MOHELA isn't entitled to any money, it is contracted to service debt and gets fees through the contract. It's not entitled to any fees.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Nice of Nancy Pelosi to provide a soundbite against cancellation that Roberts could use in his majority opinion. Democrats are loving worthless.

Yeah that was the tipping point too, if she hadn't said that there would be no student debt right now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Hobby Lobby getting ready to ban the gays from using the passport photo booths.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah that was the tipping point too, if she hadn't said that there would be no student debt right now.

If anything using a Pelosi quote just helps illustrate how partisan the ruling is

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I disagree. I think they would have made the same ruling. That was just icing on the cake for them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The 14th amendment really do be all over the place

The SCOTUS at some point in the future is absolutely going to issue a ruling that racial discrimination is protected by the First Amendment and they will completely ignore the Fourteenth.

haveblue posted:

The second student loan case is 6-3 so you can guess the ruling

Imagine if Biden didn't suck and just issued a statement to the effect of "debt forgiveness is moving forward, gently caress the illegitimate majority and their opinions."

socialsecurity posted:

No it wasn't. She's just a very convenient soundbite since it allows conservatives to try and argue "see, it's actually the fault of DEMOCRATS that your debt isn't canceled" because they know some people are stupid enough to buy it.

If Pelosi hadn't said that they'd have used some other reason. If you honestly think Pelosi's comment is what killed debt relief you're the exact audience the inclusion of her statement is aimed at.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Weird that they don't just listen to Pelosi for all their rulings.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah like as much as Pelosi sucks rear end, that seems much more like a football-spike instead of "well if Pelosi doesn't think that, I guess we have to side with her."

I mean, buckle up for right wing media to say that Pelosi herself is the sole reason that student loan cancelation was canned, but I don't think the decision itself was actually influenced by that. They were gonna stop it anyway.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Evil Fluffy posted:

Imagine if Biden didn't suck and just issued a statement to the effect of "debt forgiveness is moving forward, gently caress the illegitimate majority and their opinions."

drat yeah that would definitely work

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Kagan’s dissent in the student loan case is blistering, oh man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tatsuta Age posted: