Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Surely art generators are able to create a series of portraits/poses for each "character", no? I haven't used Midjourney or anything nearly as much as I have GPT, and even that's mostly just to help with code, but I would've assumed it could generate like a full range of "head shots" starting with the same face as the source, as opposed to 3 similar-looking people.

it's possible, but as with anything in AI generation the more specific you want the results to be, the more you have to fight the generator to get what you want

the path of least resistance is to generate exactly one image of a character, so that you can just roll with whatever random detailing it comes up with without having to care about it being consistent across multiple images

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

repiv posted:

lol at using AI writing for a game, the quality of prose you get out of even the best LLMs is absolutely dire

For me it's specifically stuff like item descriptions and some simple lore snippets, not any actual plot or anything like that.

AI is quite good at making those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

there's no surefire way to know but there's giveaways even in the absence of errors like too many fingers, an otherwise low budget game that has 500 detailed character portraits (but only one portrait for each character) is almost certainly churning them out with AI for example

valve doesn't need to enforce it super aggressively, it's more of an rear end covering move while they wait and see how the legal situation ends up settling

Somewhat notable game High on Life openly used AI art for some background posters. We'll see how much Valve actually cares about this, and whether they enforce changes in higher profile games as well. Although, I'd like to see examples of what got flagged by Valve, because this seems uncharacteristically proactive of them.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The supposed message received made it clear that it's less about the actual use of 'AI'-driven image generation and more a question of licenses and rights. If you own the original work used in the data set to train the 'AI'-driven generation, or have a license for it, then it's not going to get flagged.

It's wholly about using something without the appropriate license, or rights. Just as you would for pretty much any other asset.

I don't know how they intend to enforce this, and it is most likely a whole lotta nothing, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm, misread, sorry

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rinkles posted:

That's how I read it first, but not how people seem to be generally interpreting it. It is somewhat ambiguous, because if it was just a copyright concern, there would be no need to bring up AI.

I think because it's expressly within the context of people using 'AI'-driven generation techniques, but yeah. I believe it's wholly a copyright / license concern issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

iGestalt posted:

I think because it's expressly within the context of people using 'AI'-driven generation techniques, but yeah. I believe it's wholly a copyright / license concern issue.

i misread your post anyway, sorry

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I guess if a game doesn't credit any artists or licenses for artwork that would be a red flag. I wonder if the solution is requiring developers to submit that information in order to be listed would work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Using upscaling on your own art is obviously and completely unlike using generative AI art

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Using upscaling on your own art is obviously and completely unlike using generative AI art

Not really, the process is the same. You can make a rough sketch and use AI upscaling to turn it into artwork, the only difference is how rough it is and how the parameters are set up.

AI upscaling it still trained on and using features from a vast library of copyrighted art.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's not what DLSS does

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I wasn't talking about DLSS specifically, I was talking more about AI upscaling used in FF:Crisis Core and Persona 3 remake.

But I remember reading the newer versions of DLSS are also trained on generic copyrighted data, only the old ones are trained on your game.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I doubt they are banning e.g. the Persona 3 or Final Fantasy: Crisis Core rereleases for using AI-upscaled art.

Or games that use DLSS for that matter.

DLSS is trained on the game itself and AI upscaling is so far removed from generative AI that nobody could earnestly make that comparison. I think valves policy, which is inspired by legal fears, survives your little logic trap

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The problem with generative AI art currently is that the current models that people are using are trained in an extremely unethical way. If there were a model that could generate high quality image with a publicly available and properly licensed data set, then I don't think there would be much of an issue.

Volte fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 30, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

A lot of people just hate the idea of AI seemingly, without understanding technical details.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-2-0-a-big-leap-in-ai-rendering/

NVIDIA posted:

One Network For All Games - The original DLSS required training the AI network for each new game. DLSS 2.0 trains using non-game-specific content, delivering a generalised network that works across games. This means faster game integrations, and ultimately more DLSS games.

And yes, generative AI and AI upscaling are practically identical from a technical perspective.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hashy posted:

AI upscaling is so far removed from generative AI that nobody could earnestly make that comparison.

It might come up if there's ever a legal challenge (in the context of how AI learns, and what it's output really represents). As far as I know, these are uncharted waters legally speaking, and our ethical intuitions aren't necessarily yet represented by the law.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Private Speech posted:

And yes, generative AI and AI upscaling are practically identical from a technical perspective.

DLSS 2.0 doesn't generate detail out of thin air the way that AI image upscalers do, it's a fancy TAA algorithm that pulls detail from previous frames using an ML heuristic to guess when that history data is valid or not

DLSS 1.0 was closer to how generative AI works, in that the ML model actually tried to infer extra details by itself

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Private Speech posted:

A lot of people just hate the idea of AI seemingly, without understanding technical details.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-2-0-a-big-leap-in-ai-rendering/

I expect Nvidia licensed its training library

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

You know that copyright law exists to allow artists to protect their incomes from their works and not to win inane technical arguments about how generative AI is just squinting harder than upscaling is. Any ruling is ultimately going to come down in the spirit of the law and upscaling is atomising its training input so much it's like smashing plates to make a mosaic

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

repiv posted:

DLSS 2.0 doesn't generate detail out of thin air the way that AI image upscalers do, it's a fancy TAA algorithm that pulls detail from previous frames using an ML heuristic to guess when that history data is valid or not

DLSS 1.0 was closer to how generative AI works, in that the ML model actually tried to infer extra details by itself

I was talking about SRGAN upscaling when I said it's practically identical, not DLSS.

I was commenting on two things:

a) DLSS 2.0 is trained on data from outside of the game (which it is)

b) generative AI (like stable diffusion et. al.) is technically practically identical to AI 2d image ("photo") upscaling like SRGAN

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 30, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I expect Nvidia licensed its training library

for the problem they're solving (training a model to act as a TAA heuristic) they would have to make their own training data or acquire it from game developers, that's not a problem you can solve by scraping images from the internet

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is there a good beginners guide for elden ring from the perspective of someone who has never played a souls game or even watched a video on them? Or do I just go for it.

I bought into the hype and got elden ring.
For me, the key to "getting" and enjoying Elden Ring/Souls games is realizing that you don't really lose anything when you die. You keep all items you've picked up, all shortcuts you unlocked remain open, etc. You just lose some of the temporary currency which you get for defeating enemies. Once that fact set in I was no longer intimidated.

I'd personally just go into the game blind. There are tutorial messages that spell out all the major concepts and controls, and nudging forward while trying to figure stuff out and experiment with your playstyle is a big part of the appeal.

If anything is particularly difficult to grasp I'm sure the Elden Ring thread would love to hear from a new player.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
going in blind is fantastic, but do not skip the tutorial jump down the cave, unlike many other things that is not a trap

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Key to Elden Ring is if something seems too hard or is just kicking your rear end too much, go somewhere else. It's a very large game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ghost Trick still owns

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

Key to Elden Ring is if something seems too hard or is just kicking your rear end too much, go somewhere else. It's a very large game.

The chest pretty close to the start of the game laughs at this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elden Ring has 1000 different bullshit ways to die and you will find each and every single one of them as you play.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

fez_machine posted:

Duck Tales Remastered
I remember buying that one on a steep sale supposedly right before it was going to be delisted. But since it's still on the Steam store I guess they either didn't delist it or it got relisted?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jordan7hm posted:

The chest pretty close to the start of the game laughs at this.

yeah, in that one particular instance, you gotta git gud

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

going in blind is fantastic, but do not skip the tutorial jump down the cave, unlike many other things that is not a trap

Letting yourself be baited into traps always makes these games better so just jump anyway

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
around half my deaths in souls games are preceded by a thought like “wonder if this’ll work”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FutureCop posted:

Maybe Grapple Dog? Not sure whether games like Sonic Mania or Bloodstained Curse of the Moon or Pizza Tower would be a bit too unchill?

Looking for some opinions from goons here as I'm checking out some of my more odd wishlisted games to consider buying:

Toukiden 2: seems cool but there seems to be a lot of port issues? maybe i should just play it safe and get sunbreak
Fear & Hunger 2 Termina: skipping straight to this since I saw a video about the first one that spoiled it: good/bad idea?
Mercenary Kings: interested in the concept of 2D monster hunter/contra hybrid but it sounds like it gets repetitive quickly?
Timespinner: seems like a cool metroidvania, but wondering if I should stick with safer bets like Bloodstained
Dark Light: seems like it had a rough start but it got a major 1.1 update: wonder how it is now?
Little Noah Scion of Paradise: seems cute and fun, is it?

Timespinner is a decent game with pretty hacky writing. The time travel mechanics are also reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and it's not as good as that, but not much is.

Little Noah is basically Dead Cells with the difficulty traded off for cuteness. It's not for everyone but if you like it you'll probably like it a lot.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Oxxidation posted:

around half my deaths in souls games are preceded by a thought like “wonder if this’ll work”

For me one of the biggest reasons they're so great is that even if your dumb ideas only work 1/10th of the time it makes all the deaths & failures worth it, and that's not even considering the many hilarious & entertaining ways to fail.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You gotta learn to love death to love souls. Death is just a part of the game, like a big jump in mario or reforming the papacy in Crusader Kings.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The dock is on sale along with the Steam Deck. It sounds like the official dock is the best way to go as it continues to receive updates and has a dual screen option. Is that still accurate?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I would not pay 80 bux for something you can get off amazon with similar features for 20-40 bux depending if you want 4k etc.

I have a JSAUX one that has worked just fine for my needs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is good but hard to enforce. but also they're a libertarian company so i can't expect anything more

it also doesn't stop the asset flip games which i imagine are far more prevalent

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Gollum was so bad they aren't making games anymore, just publishing. Rip

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1674811115040129026

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Wiltsghost posted:

Gollum was so bad they aren't making games anymore, just publishing. Rip

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1674811115040129026

Does twitter now block non-users from going on the site anymore? It seems to ask for me to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't go on Twitter