Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

exceptionally phlegmy episode of chapo today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the great filter is a projection of modern man's insecurities onto the wider universe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kinda makes sense. if life happens, it tends to want to expand instead of finding a forever-sustainable niche. in closed systems like a planet that's a difficult problem to solve evolutionarily

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Chad Jihad posted:

Instead of saying "Yay Liam!" we should be saying, "Nay, Liam."

I would rather not discuss Liam at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gripweed posted:

Bring back Franklin for Skylines 2

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hooplah posted:

the great filter is a projection of modern man's insecurities onto the wider universe

please pre-order my new book Civilizing Alone

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Great Filter (theres a book about modern american "political segregation" called The Great Sort, so the joke is that aliens are avoiding us for being bigoted against them)

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Hooplah posted:

“if there was intelligent life we’d 100% know about it” you know, because we’re so loving smart about everything else

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

me, 2019: yeah any alien entity advanced enough to develop artificial intelligence that can create wes anderson trailers for any movie is so far beyond our capability and understanding that we'd be like amoeba to them

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i think whats plausible is sorta like what you see in Blindsight, by Peter Watts, which is very good. what i describe isnt exactly the book but its sort of how i got here

basically your constantly expanding interstellar shell of a species is going to be at a fixed tech level more or less, because theres very little conflict on the periphery. you just keep expanding outwards in your colony-ships-that-can-make-colony-ships-that-can-make-colony-ships eating the world. close to where you started youd expect more conflict and tech development but its distribution is limited by c. so all your descendants that are at the leading edge of your empire are the least technologically advanced, and you can never really help them out.

so if they come into contact with another race thats also a constantly expanding shell of a species, you imagine basically eternal war across millions of star systems

so dont let that happen send out autonomous probes that are way faster and without having to deal with life support or your frail bodies and glass every planet that looks like it has meat growing on it. if your merciful you could just kettle them instead but the merciful will be replaced by the paranoid. killing billions of sentient beings is a much better bet than allowing a multi-system war to break out, and theyre not your kin anyway

also god forbid they end up being more clever than you and find a way to break the speed limit then youre really screwed

basically, our first contact with an alien intelligence will be an asteroid the size of manhattan traveling at 0.1c clipping through the earth

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lobster shirt posted:

my behind on radio war nerd report: ben aris has a very pleasant voice to listen to, he should be third mic

no british person should ever be allowed to have a podcast

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

"Russia blew up their own dam to prove they could blow up other dams" - Liam

they did it to flood all the fascists, the "wrong ones and the right ones" like they described them on the episode lol that part was bad

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Jun 30, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

celadon posted:

i think whats plausible is sorta like what you see in Blindsight, by Peter Watts, which is very good. what i describe isnt exactly the book but its sort of how i got here

basically your constantly expanding interstellar shell of a species is going to be at a fixed tech level more or less, because theres very little conflict on the periphery. you just keep expanding outwards in your colony-ships-that-can-make-colony-ships-that-can-make-colony-ships eating the world. close to where you started youd expect more conflict and tech development but its distribution is limited by c. so all your descendants that are at the leading edge of your empire are the least technologically advanced, and you can never really help them out.

so if they come into contact with another race thats also a constantly expanding shell of a species, you imagine basically eternal war across millions of star systems

so dont let that happen send out autonomous probes that are way faster and without having to deal with life support or your frail bodies and glass every planet that looks like it has meat growing on it. if your merciful you could just kettle them instead but the merciful will be replaced by the paranoid. killing billions of sentient beings is a much better bet than allowing a multi-system war to break out, and theyre not your kin anyway

also god forbid they end up being more clever than you and find a way to break the speed limit then youre really screwed

basically, our first contact with an alien intelligence will be an asteroid the size of manhattan traveling at 0.1c clipping through the earth

Lmao, that's not at all what's happening in Blindsight though?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i mean its an entity showing up from outer space, taking a picture of us and then preparing to do something in response. i said it wasnt how the book is its just how i thought of this. sorry i also didnt want to spoil anything so i was overly vague.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Me, to this "Liam" fellow : I don't even know who you are.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ytlaya posted:

Me, to this "Liam" fellow : I don't even know who you are.

louder, more slovenly, more bad takes, Matt Christman

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

Is something up with the TF pirating feed? The past few episodes haven't been downloading right on my app, Podcast Addict. Trying to pin down what it could be.

Ironically, only the most recent free episode failed to load for me. No clue why.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
blindsight is a wild ride, especially the way you get to have scifi vampires

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

louder, more slovenly, more bad takes, Matt Christman

impossible

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
he's "what if matt and alice had a baby that got dropped on it's head repeatedly" and i miss the first episode without him in it when the vibe was way better

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is downright sweet and charming by comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Qv7-DxA6c

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I don't enjoy knowing what podcasters look like.

There are podcasts that I've listened to for a long time where I got no idea what anyone looks like and I like keeping it that way.

Anyways I clicked on that wtyp video and now I can't unclick it. Unfortunate.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

celadon posted:

i mean its an entity showing up from outer space, taking a picture of us and then preparing to do something in response. i said it wasnt how the book is its just how i thought of this. sorry i also didnt want to spoil anything so i was overly vague.

Ah, yeah makes sense. Blindsight was aliens taking pictures and then taking extreme measures so people finally stop the post

Dreylad posted:

blindsight is a wild ride, especially the way you get to have scifi vampires

It is. Also someone should replace the bouncing ball in your av with a mod star

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Bag of Milk posted:

I don't enjoy knowing what podcasters look like.

There are podcasts that I've listened to for a long time where I got no idea what anyone looks like and I like keeping it that way.

Anyways I clicked on that wtyp video and now I can't unclick it. Unfortunate.

Yeah, sorry. Justin can be charming though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lskXJ3_Jybo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How are these people so stupid

https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1674525429305311232?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
cool chunk they'll get right on it

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

the retard of the left

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Honest Thief posted:

they did it to flood all the fascists, the "wrong ones and the right ones" like they described them on the episode lol that part was bad

He's pro-Azov too?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

those five four fuckers can't start a stream on time!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

whoops

Ansar Santa has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Jul 1, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

believing that aliens have visited earth means, effectively, that we have fundamentally missed something about the fundamental nature of reality. my impression is that franczak is perfectly happy to accept that as a possibility on basically ideological grounds

This is a good way of putting it. People who "support" the idea of aliens having visited Earth almost always try to explain it scientifically (usually in a way that is pretty dumb*), but I'd have more respect for that perspective if they just said "who can really know anything, maybe the universe is actually really small and our fundamental understanding of math is wrong."

* At least like 80% of the time, the reasoning is basically just "searching for anecdotes we can't explain yet and insinuating that it's aliens"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good way of putting it. People who "support" the idea of aliens having visited Earth almost always try to explain it scientifically (usually in a way that is pretty dumb*), but I'd have more respect for that perspective if they just said "who can really know anything, maybe the universe is actually really small and our fundamental understanding of math is wrong."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg&t=587s

I pretty much agree with everything this guy has to say on the subject as I find the implications interesting/would explain a lot of why some things don't quite fit into our current understanding

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg&t=587s

I pretty much agree with everything this guy has to say on the subject as I find the implications interesting/would explain a lot of why some things don't quite fit into our current understanding

Eh, a lot of this doesn't seem very useful and basically the equivalent of "what if everything is a simulation" or "what if I'm the only conscious being." The point isn't to deny those things, but it's not exactly a useful assumption to make since it's impossible to disprove. Like it's technically possible that our minds exist in some completely undetectable dimension, but you can't do anything with that assumption.

So science assumes a material world because you can't actually learn anything otherwise. And that has generally served us pretty well in terms of growing our understanding of the universe.

And when it comes to stuff like aliens, we know - about as confidently as anyone can know anything - what sort of distances exist between stars/galaxies. And that's where the main barrier to the idea of aliens visiting our planet comes from. People will frequently be like "well people used to believe in Newtonian physics, until they realized it isn't accurate!", but it usually *is* accurate, with it only losing accuracy in certain circumstances. Similarly, it is very unlikely that our understanding of the universe is "completely wrong" - there are just things we don't understand yet that will make it more accurate once we do, but I seriously doubt we'll suddenly find out that galaxies are actually only 1/100 as big as we thought they were.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

whoops

Ansar Santa has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Jul 1, 2023

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Wormholes are allowed by our current understanding of physics.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Russian troll farm posted:

Upon reconsideration, I have rejected my previous plans for retribution, such as stealing your regimental standard and giving it to the taliban, or urinating upon the grave of her majesty the queen. Instead I shall admonish you!

You have allowed repressed personal issues to become public! You are married to a woman who believes in the most pernicious woo-woo nonsense, like the rules-based international order or the free market. Bound as you are by holy matrimony, you cannot express your disdain for these beliefs properly, let alone to her in person. This is understandable. But you have turned this understandable and understandably repressed grievance outward against women in general and all the harmless woo-woo bullshit they believe in, like ghosts and astrology. As a result you have publicly defamed a lady for no good reason.

This is beneath the dignity of an officer, a gentleman, and a communist! I advise that you go to confession and say as many Hail Marys and Our Fathers as the priest instructs you to.

:v:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Upon reconsideration, I have rejected my previous plans for retribution, such as stealing your regimental standard and giving it to the taliban, or urinating upon the grave of her majesty the queen. Instead I shall admonish you!

You have allowed repressed personal issues to become public! You are married to a woman who believes in the most pernicious woo-woo nonsense, like the rules-based international order or the free market. Bound as you are by holy matrimony, you cannot express your disdain for these beliefs properly, let alone to her in person. This is understandable. But you have turned this understandable and understandably repressed grievance outward against women in general and all the harmless woo-woo bullshit they believe in, like ghosts and astrology. As a result you have publicly defamed a lady for no good reason.

This is beneath the dignity of an officer, a gentleman, and a communist! I advise that you go to confession and say as many Hail Marys and Our Fathers as the priest instructs you to.

lol fair, it's a slippery slope, isn't it? One day you're mildly irritated by astrological signs, the next you're ranting against the entire fairer sex. I assure you, after this wake up call, the constellations have realigned, and I've turned a new leaf. Some woo is okay some of the time.

I hope that my intention to take it easy on them is sufficient penance, I can't exactly go to confession over my war against woo woo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Aliens are real, God is real, both have been to earth and neither particularly care if we kill ourselves with toxic waste before we figure out the secrets of the universe. Thems the breaks!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

whoops

Ansar Santa has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Comrade Flake! I have chosen to admonish you because I believe you are salvageable! As Chairman Mao said, "the party controls the guns, the guns must never control the party." The military requires political guidance, and must remain under the control of civillan leadership. This is why commissars are necessary.

lol