Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Escobarbarian posted:

This conversation is a great way to make sure nobody watches any Gundam ever

Yeah, mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, mission complete.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

With the sale starting tomorrow, here's an overview of Criterion's releases since the November 2022 sale...

4K UHD:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen*
Three Colors
Dazed and Confused
Mildred Pierce
The Fisher King
The Seventh Seal
Triangle of Sadness*
Wings of Desire
Branded to Kill
Thelma & Louise*
The Rules of the Game
Time Bandits
After Hours* - July 11
The Ranown Westerns - July 18
Breathless - July 18
One False Move* - July 25
* denotes new Blu-ray edition released alongside UHD+Blu Combo

Blu-ray:

Michael Haneke: Trilogy [The Fifth Continent/Benny's Video/71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance]
Three Films by Mai Zetterling [Loving Couples/Night Games/The Girls]
Cooley High
The Velvet Underground
Imitation of Life (1934)
Lars Von Trier's Europe Trilogy [The Element of Crime/Epidemic/Europa]
This Is Not a Burial, It's a Resurrection
Bergman Island (2021)
Two Films by Margurite Duras [India Song/Baxter, Vera Baxter]
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Hollywood Shuffle
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Inland Empire
Chilly Scenes of Winter
Small Axe
Targets
Petite Maman
The Servant
Medicine for Melancholy
The Watermelon Woman - July 11

and there's also one big box:

Pasolini 101
Includes: Accattone, Mamma Roma, Love Meetings, The Gospel According to Matthew, The Hawks and the Sparrows, Oedipus Rex, Teorema, Porcile, and Medea

(And before anyone asks why it's not a complete Pasolini box, it's probably meant to contain just his 60s films, as The Trilogy of Life and Salo have already been out for a while and will likely get UHD upgrades eventually)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 29, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger of those Ranown Westerns but if they're half price I might. It'd be a blind buy but I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to add Westerns on UHD to my collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger of those Ranown Westerns but if they're half price I might. It'd be a blind buy but I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to add Westerns on UHD to my collection.

It's a little overpriced considering all the films are between 71-78 minutes long, but IIRC the Indicator Blu set was about $50 before it went on sale. Still worth it as these are excellent films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Considering picking up the Three Colors set, I’ve never seen them or even know anything about them but it seems like a pretty safe blind buy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazing movies

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Considering picking up the Three Colors set, I’ve never seen them or even know anything about them but it seems like a pretty safe blind buy.

If you're an arty snob like (I presume) the rest of us, yeah, it's about as safe as it gets.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Going after all the Ozu I can get (but also preparing myself to go overboard).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My main goal is to get all the Coens minus the bastardized Miller's Crossing. Then whatever I see that jumps out at me.

My partner hasn't seen, like, any Coens Bros. movies, and I want to do Chronological Coens as a little project.

Oh, and the After Hours 4k.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The only one I can think of picking up is The Girl Can’t Help It. Though I’m sure I’ll find something else.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Is After Hours for sure going to be on sale?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait is this the first home video HD release of After Hours? god drat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium posted:

If it's available during July, it will be on sale

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

Going after all the Ozu I can get (but also preparing myself to go overboard).

Got a hunch Ozu might be getting a big box before the end of the year as there's been big theatrical revivals of his entire surviving work, much like what was done for Pasolini and Fellini.

dorium posted:

All July releases will be on sale either as online preorders or in-store. In the past, I usually preordered anything coming out the last week of the sale just to be safe, but After Hours will be first out the gate.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is the Qatsi trilogy worth a blind buy?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Have you seen Baraka and Samsara? If you like either of those, you'll probably enjoy the Qatsi films on some level. They're all very much a mood thing though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Koyaanisqatsi is worth the box, the other two are fine.

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9QQHLCJy4

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 30, 2023

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pro BN.com tip: searching for "essential jacques demy criterion" returns nothing. But if you just search for "essential jacques demy", you'll find it (and 50% off).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Yikes, 3 items in my cart already sold out before I could order them. Can I expect those to replenish during the sale or am I out of luck for now?

edit: and they're back. All is right with the world.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 30, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If Criterion or BN site is out of stock, Amazon is price matching almost all the sales. Newer releases seem to cap at 35% though

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Got a hunch Ozu might be getting a big box before the end of the year as there's been big theatrical revivals of his entire surviving work, much like what was done for Pasolini and Fellini.

All July releases will be on sale either as online preorders or in-store. In the past, I usually preordered anything coming out the last week of the sale just to be safe, but After Hours will be first out the gate.

Ah good looking out on the Ozu stuff. Perhaps I'll wait then and prioritize other releases. Good Morning will just have to hold me over until then.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the number one best western in The Collection?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Stagecoach

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I might go with My Darling Clementine personally.

I love One Eyed Jacks too but that one doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea.

Actually scratch that, my real answer is McCabe & Mrs. Miller

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

I’ll throw my hat in for 3:10 to Yuma

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What is the number one best western in The Collection?

Dead Man

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm gonna second Stagecoach

One Eyed Jacks is cool, it's The Marlon Brando Show but sneakily Karl Malden actually gives the best performance

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed Blood Simple on blu-ray, Baron Munchausen on 4k, Dazed & Confused on 4k, and INLAND EMPIRE on blu.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

for now only grabbed Lost Highway, Inland Empire, Irma Vep and After Hours. Will definitely be going back on a non-rent paycheck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That Baron Munchausen UHD is great. You might think that a lot of the optical effects and such might not look great in 4k but they actually did a great job with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Actually scratch that, my real answer is McCabe & Mrs. Miller

It’s this

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

That Baron Munchausen UHD is great. You might think that a lot of the optical effects and such might not look great in 4k but they actually did a great job with it.

fear and loathing is a sure thing but i'm also hoping for brazil

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Stagecoach is like the ur-western, every western made after it is influenced by it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

Have you seen Baraka and Samsara? If you like either of those, you'll probably enjoy the Qatsi films on some level. They're all very much a mood thing though.

I haven’t, but they’re on my list now! I saw that someone uploaded Koyaanisqatsi to YouTube in decent quality, so I’ll probably skip buying it during this sale. Last holiday my company gave out bonuses in the form of gift cards of our choosing, so I’ve been sitting on $250 worth of B&N Monopoly money with this sale in mind.

Today’s haul:
Thief
The Great Escape
Targets
Memories of Murder
Last Hurrah of Chivalry
Buck and the Preacher
The Incredible Shrinking Man
High Sierra

I’d intended on using part of that for some big box set, but to be honest I’m kinda at the same point with Criterion that I’m at with Arrow. After years of sales, I already own pretty much everything in their respective catalogs that I’d ever want.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Koyaanisqatsi is probably my most watched criterion. I love that weird movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think this is the first time in a decade that I haven't picked something up during a sale. I'm actually really enjoying how many other specialty lables are on the market now that are as good or better than Criterion, and are more inventive with their choices.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think this is the first time in a decade that I haven't picked something up during a sale. I'm actually really enjoying how many other specialty lables are on the market now that are as good or better than Criterion, and are more inventive with their choices.

Tell me more. Anything you picked up or have your eye on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Tell me more. Anything you picked up or have your eye on?

Sure thing

Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow are old staples for cult film by now, I feel like Arrow has good distribution (I've seen them at B&N) and a wide range of titles as well as excellent packaging, but the disc options and presentations can be mixed imo. I also almost universally prefer the original arts to the new stuff they commission for the cases, so thankfully they are usually reversible. VS has an exhaustive range of products of all different types, but are truly cult imo and not all that uniform in packaging. (from Arrow I recently picked up Robocop, Hellraiser, and the "Love + Anarchism" set, three films by Kiju Yoshida, I think Arrow's box sets are fantastic, overall I just kind of trust their quality).

Indicator has grown extremely fast in the US in just the last year (already hundreds of titles). They very often use the original poster arts and tag lines on their packaging but the case design is also nice and uniform, if spare, they put out both accessibly priced standard editions as well as fancy limited editions and look very nice on a shelf. Their box sets are very nice, prices are reasonable, and sales are frequent. They also have a very active twitter and are always announcing new poo poo. (Indicator titles I've nabbed recently: Night Tide, Scum, Christine, The Passenger, Inseminoid, Lilith, Hardcore, and See No Evil (Blind Terror) )

The one I'm truly excited about (hopefully not prematurely) is Radiance, which is just getting availability in the US and UK. Their supplementals and booklets are beefy, and package design kinda beats Criterion at its own game. LE's include reversible sleeves and a removable obi insert that has the at a glance technical info, classy stuff. Apparently they will announce new titles on July 5. (I picked up LE's of Yakuza Graveyard, Big Time Gambling Boss, and A Woman Kills (which also includes 5 short films).

There are also Raro, Synapse, Severin, and Kino Lorber, all a bit more hit and miss for me. Kino has ugly package design but access to many obscure titles (recent Kino purchase is Valentino, The Conformist from Raro, and Frankenhooker from Synapse. Synapse is kinda budget imo but I think they're the only ones with access to this particular Henenlotter in the US, Arrow has it in the UK as well as access to his other films in both territories)

Outside of that I recently bought Rain (1932) which was restored by the Mary Pickford Foundation which has access to a variety of titles from the silent era, and from Cinelicious I grabbed Belladonna of Sadness. Both packages are pristine.

Oh and I bought The Keep from Sloppy Seconds which is budget as hell, like bootleg quality lmao