Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Who's ready for some fundraising emails!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kalli posted:

probably moreso about yesterday's big ruling and the other big ruling today than student loans

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Bad time to have a cognitively impaired historically conservative pro debt slavery president.

Listen, jack

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

PLEASE VOTE FOR US

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Bad time to have a cognitively impaired historically conservative pro debt slavery president.

Not like the next person to get the DNC dedazo is gonna get any better

Google that term and then google the PRI, and get a preview the next 50 years of US history.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Not like the next person to get the DNC dedazo is gonna get any better

Google that term and then google the PRI, and get a preview the next 50 years of US history.

:staredog:

quote:

In 1990, Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa famously described Mexico under the PRI regime as being "the perfect dictatorship", stating: "I don't believe that there has been in Latin America any case of a system of dictatorship which has so efficiently recruited the intellectual milieu, bribing it with great subtlety. The perfect dictatorship is not communism, nor the USSR, nor Fidel Castro; the perfect dictatorship is Mexico. Because it is a camouflaged dictatorship."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Guys if we could hold off on societal collapse until after we close on the house that would be great.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Guys if we could hold off on societal collapse until after we close on the house that would be great.

If it makes you feel any better, there are millions of day traders and institutional investors nailing together legal Ponzi schemes to prop that curve up as long as possible.

Nov 6, 2002

congress could still pass a debt relief pack-HAHAHAH

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

congress could still pass a debt relief pack-HAHAHAH

Hey come on, maybe we'll get a summit for this one too!

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1674587314012528642

Nov 6, 2002

Remember, the official Republican fix for student debt is to tell kids not to go to college.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

If it makes you feel any better, there are millions of day traders and institutional investors nailing together legal Ponzi schemes to prop that curve up as long as possible.

Oh I don't want as long as possible, just like a couple months until I get the place furnished and a deep freeze. Then collapse away. You all are welcome to visit!

Nov 6, 2002

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/969775748988678164/1124118074845577306/Rainyextrasmalldisabling_edf9e3_10636150.mp4

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Love to have a Supreme Court that works backwards from their preferred outcome.

Do PPP next.

swickles posted:

Oh I don't want as long as possible, just like a couple months until I get the place furnished and a deep freeze. Then collapse away. You all are welcome to visit!

Goon compound. Fiz and I can help you run your post-apocalyptic cowboy medicine clinic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remember, the official Republican fix for student debt is to tell kids not to go to college.

Prevent enough minorities from going, remove enough liberal arts programs, Dems can probably bleed some moderate R support :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Hey come on, just because the gay website thing was a complete hoax the lawsuit made up and the alleged harmed party in the student loan suit actively opposed it doesn't mean....

oh, lol.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

Prevent enough minorities from going, remove enough liberal arts programs, Dems can probably bleed some moderate R support :v:

Colleges entirely populated with rich Musk fanboi edge lords.

Record professor suicides soon to follow.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

I mean, for socially contentious decisions, it’s been this way for like 40+ years? Why are people at all surprised or acting like this is some new trend? Did you really have respect for the Court as a staid and impartial institution 10-15 years ago?

I haven’t held the Court with any respect for like 30+ years lol

The Court of Brown vs. Board is long long gone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Good day for Twitter to be completely broken on my phone (outside of embeds, which are admittedly the majority of my Twitter engagement rn :v:)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pmchem posted:

I mean, for socially contentious decisions, it’s been this way for like 40+ years? Why are people at all surprised or acting like this is some new trend? Did you really have respect for the Court as a staid and impartial institution 10-15 years ago?

Because the Major Questions doctrine poo poo is pretty new and has ripped the veil off even the thinnest legal rigor?

I dunno, part of it is that I am older and much more aware of the awful poo poo they are doing (and I’m aware that recency bias is a thing) but it really loving sucks to live through the backlash of one of the few periods of measurable legal progress in this country.

But yeah, things have always been awful. Still not a fan.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Times got you fam

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/30/business/student-loan-debt-forgiveness.html

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Because the Major Questions doctrine poo poo is pretty new and has ripped the veil off even the thinnest legal rigor?

I dunno, part of it is that I am older and much more aware of the awful poo poo they are doing (and I’m aware that recency bias is a thing) but it really loving sucks to live through the backlash of one of the few periods of measurable legal progress in this country.

But yeah, things have always been awful. Still not a fan.

Dunno man. Breyer (GOP nom but dem hero) coined the major questions phrase in 1986 according to good ole Wikipedia. Lines up with my 30-40 year timeline despite it being more of a focus lately. The Court has always found a way to do what it wants, it’s just the bullshit branding that changes over time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/usedgov/status/1673813665256964097

pmchem posted:

The Court has always found a way to do what it wants, it’s just the bullshit branding that changes over time.

Fair enough.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pmchem posted:

Its been conservative for sure, but now its being full on regressive. The big issue with todays ruling about LGBT rights is that its based entirely on a hypothetical, there is literally no aggrieved party or injury. In the past, you had to show some kind of damages in order for a lawsuit to go through, let alone to get to the highest court in the land. Monetary, bodily, or infringement on a right were all a minimum requirement. With todays ruling "I just don't like that" is now a valid excuse to overturn a law.

With Roe v. Wade it was considered settled law until it wasn't. Loads of cases went up to the court that were ruled to be consistent with Roe and now Roe is meaningless. The other thing is that there wasn't mounds of evidence of straight up grift going on where multiple justices are receiving millions of dollars nakedly and ruling in the favor of the donors. So again, it was always seen as a conservative institute just one that wasn't straight up corrupt.

Nov 6, 2002

Tangentially related, I've noticed in my office there's about five people who have only child zoomers, who all had free rides to college from their parents, and all dropped out and are just giant man/woman-babies that go from one emotional crisis to the next and cannot figure out how to run their own lives. I can't help but think this is this the end result of helicoptered only children. Or maybe it's just a lovely anecdote.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 30, 2023

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kalli posted:

They can fundraise the 10,000$ I'm owed since I paid off my student loans during the freeze

Nov 6, 2002

Historically the SC has been a very conservative institution, much morose than the other branches. The period from the 50s till 80s was more the exception, set in place by a string of Democratic presidents and moderate Republicans like Eisenhower. What we're seeing now is unfortunately a return to the norm.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tangentially related, I've noticed in my office there's about five people who have only child zoomers, who all had free rides to college from their parents, and all dropped out and are just giant man/woman-babies that go from one emotional crisis to the next and cannot figure out how to run their own lives. I can't help but think this is this the end result of helicoptered only children. Or maybe it's just a lovely anecdote.

I dunno, aren’t zoomers are of an age where they’re supposed to be in emotional crisis and unable to figure out how to run their own lives? It’s called being in your teens/twenties!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Pron on VHS posted:

Paper white emits blue light but not as bad as other tablet devices

You can def redshift the light for night time, at least on mine which is the newest generation it accounts for that.

At a loss for why cancelling student debt and other forms of relief isn't just a layup for folks to engage a generation of voters. My student loans will be paid off in December, 17 years later and I'd hope everyone with debt wouldn't have such a long journey to getting out from under it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't know what about the last 2 years of his administration doesn't suggest that it's a group of people attempting to do everything they can with the two other branches they're working with, and when possible they've signed progressive legislation and done what's possible with EOs.

Even the railroad unions thing which at the time was very :chloe: but it turns out they continued to work behind the scenes to get a better deal.

Biden is old and like everyone else I wish he wasn't the only option, but thus far seems surrounded by competent people doing the actual work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I don't know what about the last 2 years of his administration doesn't suggest that it's a group of people attempting to do everything they can with the two other branches they're working with, and when possible they've signed progressive legislation and done what's possible with EOs.

Even the railroad unions thing which at the time was very :chloe: but it turns out they continued to work behind the scenes to get a better deal.

Biden is old and like everyone else I wish he wasn't the only option, but thus far seems surrounded by competent people doing the actual work.

Yeah, I would agree with this assessment. I will have mad respect for Biden if in his announcement today he says something along the lines of "let the Supreme Court collect the debt then". The biggest criticism is that he hasn't done enough and there are more things he could do, theoretically, but I do understand the logic of a step wise escalation to force things through the courts until you either get what you want, or you just tie it up indefinitely.

Its still disappointing to know that the Court doesn't care about anything other than the case outcome and will break every legal precedent known to man to arrive at the conclusion.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Yeah, I would agree with this assessment. I will have mad respect for Biden if in his announcement today he says something along the lines of "let the Supreme Court collect the debt then".

I would also feel respect for this admin, but color me pessimistic when they couldn’t even respond to Roe v Wade repeal with legislation while holding the executive and both houses of congress.

Just more breathless fundraising emails going straight to my junk folder.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

At a loss for why cancelling student debt and other forms of relief isn't just a layup for folks to engage a generation of voters.

The Democrats don’t need to court college educated lower and middle class people, and not enacting relief won’t make that bloc vote Republican.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

At a loss for why cancelling student debt and other forms of relief isn't just a layup for folks to engage a generation of voters. My student loans will be paid off in December, 17 years later and I'd hope everyone with debt wouldn't have such a long journey to getting out from under it.

They aren’t actually interested in winning elections, because minority reps and senators have as many opportunities to make insider trades as the majority does.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Burn it all down

Nov 6, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

I dunno, aren’t zoomers are of an age where they’re supposed to be in emotional crisis and unable to figure out how to run their own lives? It’s called being in your teens/twenties!

My co-worker had to leave work this morning because her 22 YO daughter was in the middle of getting a tattoo and then changed her mind halfway and is having a breakdown about it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

daughter was in the middle of getting a tattoo and then changed her mind halfway and is having a breakdown about it.

:laffo: that sucks haha

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1674507379306557462

:lmao:

Also, in significantly less funny news, the Supreme Court is about put a bunch more women in mortal danger
https://twitter.com/ericmruben/status/1674810476742492160

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

My co-worker had to leave work this morning because her 22 YO daughter was in the middle of getting a tattoo and then changed her mind halfway and is having a breakdown about it.

Lmao, I put that one on the parent, my reaction would be “lol sucks to be you have fun with that”, but maybe I’m a dick like that. Actually one of my kids (work client, not my literal offspring) wanted a tattoo removal, we’ve got some resources for that sort of thing but it’s usually limited to CSEC (trafficked) kids who were marked by their abuser. I did a little finagling and got the $1400 together, since I didn’t want her to deal with her dumb choice made to get illegally inked at 16 for the rest of her life, yet we’re not even 1 session deep and she already went out, got several stick and pokes from a buddy, and deeply regrets them. Sorry kid, you got one freebie, the rest are an object lesson in natural consequences, sure hope you don’t get sick from a non hygienic needle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Lmao, I put that one on the parent, my reaction would be “lol sucks to be you have fun with that”, but maybe I’m a dick like that. Actually one of my kids (work client, not my literal offspring) wanted a tattoo removal, we’ve got some resources for that sort of thing but it’s usually limited to CSEC (trafficked) kids who were marked by their abuser. I did a little finagling and got the $1400 together, since I didn’t want her to deal with her dumb choice made to get illegally inked at 16 for the rest of her life, yet we’re not even 1 session deep and she already went out, got several stick and pokes from a buddy, and deeply regrets them. Sorry kid, you got one freebie, the rest are an object lesson in natural consequences, sure hope you don’t get sick from a non hygienic needle!

Need to know what the dumb tattoo was.