Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kind of the point, isn't it? If you're willing to throw money at it you can keep any car on the road for an infinite amount of time, but for most people there's a point where vehicles become no longer economical to repair. I doubt EVs will last much longer than ICE cars in that respect, but we'll see.

If they dont last longer its because of planned obsolescence but its pretty clear from a drivetrain perspective EVs could last way longer than ICE simply by the massive reduction in parts, wear/friction points and complexity. Even batteries, most original Model S's are hitting 10+ years with just reduced range and nothing catastrophic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

cruft posted:

As the thread has no doubt discovered, I'm an optimist about stuff like this, so I tend to focus on the optimistic scenario. I've been wrong in the past, and I could be wrong again. But this is how I see things playing out.
Hmm.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

cruft posted:

I'm acquanted with a few excellent software engineers who work at Ford, for the record.

I think the unfortunate reality most of the time is that real-world applications are just messy and gross. Even the best programmer will eventually be beaten down by, for instance, 15 layers of kludges all trying to make an EA charger start a session. I guess I have a personal problem with EA.

Tesla has got themselves in an enviable position here. Their chargers are famously hassle-free and fail infrequently enough that people consider them reliable. Through sheer volume of charging stations, they were able to strike a deal with two other automakers, and can now act as a reference standard for starting a charging session. People who buy Ford and GM cars can be all smug about having a nice charging experience now, and Tesla gets to keep looking like they're the only competent game in town because they don't have to try to interoperate with every stupid broken CCS stack in the world. Meanwhile, ChargePoint and everybody else keep getting dragged through the mud because the experience is awful, and it's not even their fault!

I mean, maybe it's not EA's fault either.

But it probably is.

Broken charge point and EA CCS chargers arent just from the difficulties of having to charge various brands. Broken screens, inop panels, broken connectors, faulty credit card readers are all common enough problems that boil down to poor design and lack of maintenance.

Things can be designed to not constantly break, but if they do they should be repaired/replaced in a timely manner. Which doesn’t happen now.

They deserve to get dragged

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

cruft posted:

I can speculate: until recently, Tesla doesn't use CCS at all. After maybe 2021 (maybe 2020?) they started shipping cars that can speak CCS, and initially in Korea and now in the US are selling adapters to CCS1 chargers that appear to work no better or worse than any other car does at the plethora of CCS1 charging stations.

Tesla started shipping model 3s with CCS2 to Europe in 2019.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Tesla started shipping model 3s with CCS2 to Europe in 2019.

Our February 2019 Model 3 isn't CCS ready, so I guess 2019 was the year they added it!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ROFLBOT posted:

Even batteries, most original Model S's are hitting 10+ years with just reduced range and nothing catastrophic.

I think in hindsight the battery packs on most EVs are going to be seen as a huge waste and even highly degraded battery packs will be desirable, most people just don't drive that much.

Just look at the values on BMW i3s, I got close to what I paid for my i3 almost 5 years after it went off lease early with less miles than I put on it. If you drive 30 miles a day, a funky BMW that doesn't need gas, much maintenance and generally has a premium built looks incredibly appealing next to a used Chevy Spark.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The i3 has dumb expensive tyres which wear out quickly and is really expensive to fix so insurance rates are insane.

Something like a Leaf or Ioniq makes for a much better cheap commuter.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I bought an Ioniq 5! Loving it so far. Per thread rules here is a picture:

I'll be lurking the thread looking for advice on stuff!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Three Olives posted:

I think in hindsight the battery packs on most EVs are going to be seen as a huge waste and even highly degraded battery packs will be desirable, most people just don't drive that much.

That's probably true, but depends on how gracefully the batteries fail. Is a battery that is at 50% range only suffering from reduced range, or is it at the edge of catastrophic failure? Do we even have much of experience on that, it seems even the old batteries that haven't failed are only suffering from small reduction.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Hey BYD-havers (BYDders?), how do you pronounce your marque? Is it Bee-Wye-Dee, Bid, or what? :shrug:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Frazzbo posted:

Hey BYD-havers (BYDders?), how do you pronounce your marque? Is it Bee-Wye-Dee, Bid, or what? :shrug:

Like BMW but the full name has almost as many syllables than Mercedes or Maserati so that isn't an handful either. That's what i've heard from owners.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Talorat posted:

:nice:

I dig that solar array too, ya nerd.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Talorat posted:

Congrats!

Is that the gold, er, "gold" color? Hard to tell in that light.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Saukkis posted:

That's probably true, but depends on how gracefully the batteries fail. Is a battery that is at 50% range only suffering from reduced range, or is it at the edge of catastrophic failure? Do we even have much of experience on that, it seems even the old batteries that haven't failed are only suffering from small reduction.

Based on how the Model S does, an EV battery will last the life of the car (>200,000 miles) with <20% degradation. It's a non issue imo, by the time the battery wears out the rest of the car will be pretty much done for as well.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Talorat posted:

this looks sharp af

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

WhiteHowler posted:

Congrats!

Is that the gold, er, "gold" color? Hard to tell in that light.

Yeah it’s the “gravity gold” which is more of a silvery champagne color. The dealership was giving 2500 off on all the matte finishes on top of the 7500 lease credit from Hyundai so I pulled the trigger on it. Going to buy out the lease as soon as I get my first bill.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dissss posted:

The i3 has dumb expensive tyres which wear out quickly and is really expensive to fix so insurance rates are insane.

Something like a Leaf or Ioniq makes for a much better cheap commuter.

Tires I agree with somewhat, they do need to be replaced more often and that adds expense, but the tires themselves were not particular expensive and lasted about 10,000 miles for me. Insurance was really not expensive, but I pay $92 a month for a $100 deductible on my Mach-E Premium which seems to be way less than people I have talked to with less expensive cars, he was probably blowing smoke but our insurance agent whatever they call the insurance equivalent of a credit score was exceptional.

And an i3 is a lot nicer than a Leaf.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I owe the thread an apology for that stupid, tone-deaf, elitist take on an entire swath of humanity a few pages back.

I'm sorry. I appreciate the people who pointed out to me how atrociously bad that was. I've been doing a lot of thinking since then. Thank you for reminding me about something I'd forgotten.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

cruft posted:

I owe the thread an apology for that stupid, tone-deaf, elitist take on an entire swath of humanity a few pages back.

I'm sorry. I appreciate the people who pointed out to me how atrociously bad that was. I've been doing a lot of thinking since then. Thank you for reminding me about something I'd forgotten.

:glomp: :cheers:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Three Olives posted:

Tires I agree with somewhat, they do need to be replaced more often and that adds expense, but the tires themselves were not particular expensive and lasted about 10,000 miles for me. Insurance was really not expensive, but I pay $92 a month for a $100 deductible on my Mach-E Premium which seems to be way less than people I have talked to with less expensive cars, he was probably blowing smoke but our insurance agent whatever they call the insurance equivalent of a credit score was exceptional.

And an i3 is a lot nicer than a Leaf.

10,000 miles is less than what I get out of summer high performance tires on an M car, that's atrocious tire life for an eco tire

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

10,000 miles is less than what I get out of summer high performance tires on an M car, that's atrocious tire life for an eco tire

They also cost $160 each and I literally did no other maintenance on the car (Probably should have flushed the brakes, what I read was consensus was it needed every so often but BMW's schedule was aggressive and just never got around to it before selling)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ive been informed i violated the Thread Constitution

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

great color choice

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BLUE CAR CREW REPRESENT

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kill me now posted:

Broken charge point and EA CCS chargers arent just from the difficulties of having to charge various brands. Broken screens, inop panels, broken connectors, faulty credit card readers are all common enough problems that boil down to poor design and lack of maintenance.

Things can be designed to not constantly break, but if they do they should be repaired/replaced in a timely manner. Which doesn’t happen now.

They deserve to get dragged

ChargePoint is even worse.

I think I've instructed at least 10 EV owners on how to get around the ALMOST ALWAYS broken clips on the Level2 stuff.

And quite often a charger will simply be off-line or have some software issue.

One thing all the chargers have an issue with is when there are placed in very sunny locations. The EA chargers in Palm Springs are unreadable for example. The app will work though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

One thing all the chargers have an issue with is when there are placed in very sunny locations. The EA chargers in Palm Springs are unreadable for example. The app will work though.

There's this station between Santa Fe and Albuquerque that keeps changing ownership. It started out ChargePoint I think, then someone else, then it was Blink, now who knows.

The thing has the screen facing directly into the sun, in the desert. It's solid black, nobody can read it.

I stopped by there once and saw a couple in a 30kWh LEAF trying desperately to get Blink on the phone to acknowledge that they owned it so that their stupid app would initiate a charge with it and these people wouldn't be stuck in the middle of nowhere. But the app didn't even have that station on its map. We tried all kinds of stuff: ChargePoint's app, Blink's app, pleading with Blink on the phone, credit card swipes, chips, and tap, and eventually I got my Blink card to start a charge for them.

The ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe have started breaking but it seems like they're getting fixed, so my experience with ChargePoint is that they're probably the best option. But clearly that's not your experience. I wonder if the state of repair says more about the property owner than the charging network.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The hardware for reliable card readers and displays clearly exists in the form of pay at the pump gas stations pretty much everywhere which begs the question of why they didn't just adapt that same hardware/supplier for DCFC stations. Granted, just because they work doesn't mean they are totally without flaws, like take any big cross country trip and there is about a 50/50 chance some station will skim your credit card and you will end up dealing with a bunch of fraudulent charges.

Come to think of it, does anyone inspect/test DCFC stations for accuracy? Like how gas pumps are regularly tested and certified by the Bureau of Weights and Measures to keep gas stations from screwing you...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saw a blue Mach E GT the other day and it was lookin good.

The driver had an orchid in his centre console dunno if he was just bringing it home or if it was a permanent thing, it was pretty large lol.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I still earn for a cheap i3 for around town.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

I still earn for a cheap i3 for around town.

Honestly if we had parking for it, I would have seriously thought about keeping the i3 when I bought the Mach-E, it was just a drat fun car to drive and way more practical.

Still feel like I made the right decision to get rid of it for warranty among other reasons (My husband HATED driving it, he likes the Mach-E) but the Mach-E is just a lot more car than I need.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Absolutely bonkers push of new supercharger locations for end of quarter/July 4th travel. Looks like 40 new locations in just the last week.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

borkencode posted:

Absolutely bonkers push of new supercharger locations for end of quarter/July 4th travel. Looks like 40 new locations in just the last week.

On the other end of the spectrum, Italy just failed their European resiliency fund target for new public chargers location, likely grinding the whole program to an halt(not helped by an infrastructure minister which stated that electric car incentives are useless and we should invest more in biofuels).

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, Italy just failed their European resiliency fund target for new public chargers location, likely grinding the whole program to an halt(not helped by an infrastructure minister which stated that electric car incentives are useless and we should invest more in biofuels).

Imagine still pitching biofuels in TYOL 2023. Bizarre.

For those that are interested, I was disappointed that the Ioniq 5 didn't have wireless carplay built in, but I found this little dongle on amazon and to my surprise it works perfectly!

Teeran CarPlay Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay 2023

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Talorat posted:

For those that are interested, I was disappointed that the Ioniq 5 didn't have wireless carplay built in, but I found this little dongle on amazon and to my surprise it works perfectly!

I'm pretty sure Motorola has one as well

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Talorat posted:

I don't really see the point of wireless carplay/android auto but more power to you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

I don't really see the point of wireless carplay/android auto but more power to you.

Usually because they are superior to the joke interfaces that cars come with but you do you.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Usually because they are superior to the joke interfaces that cars come with but you do you.

I mean compared to wired carplay/android auto. If you are going to drop the phone in a stationary storage bin with a inductive charger, you lose one second more to get higher power and a more reliable link with a wire to the infotainment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I haven’t found wireless even with a charging pad to be significantly more convenient than plugging in a wire, but I’m also the guy who thinks it’s fine to insert the key in the ignition and turn it so I’m obviously not too particular about that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

I mean compared to wired carplay/android auto. If you are going to drop the phone in a stationary storage bin with a inductive charger, you lose one second more to get higher power and a more reliable link with a wire to the infotainment.

I can live with the couple seconds I lose to the wireless connection that I would lose anyway with plugging the phone in and out..