Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SubNat posted:

I decided to check it out, only to be confused when steam said I already own it.
Was it some kickstarted game or something? I apparently played it back in 2017.

Anyhow: I ended up grabbing powerwash simulator.
I really loving hate how big objects will happily blink into perfect cleanliness while still dirty, but with smaller objects you sometimes have to pixel-hunt for grime.

And then you have an overview of what's left, but no indicators for what those things are.
On the playground the final thing finally started flashing after I'd taken 2 rounds trying to figure out what object I was missing.

(Really wish grime-o-vision would stick a little longer, and highlight objects if you hold it down.)

I will admit to playing the game through once normally and then using a cheat engine to have constant grime vision.

Then once with one-hit-kill mode. *PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!**PING!*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've had this problem in NBA2k where it keeps automatically simulating my playoff games.

I play an entire season, only have one user controlled team and, for some reason, the user interface for picking the contests you want to play is insanely convoluted. I went down 3 games to 1 and then got eliminated 4-2 because I couldn't easily figure out how to NOT simulate that day's games.

You would think that in a league with a single user team, the game would prompt you or at least warn you and ask if you really want to sim the game but the UI is really weird.

Oh well. THere's always next year.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, part of the problem is when it's using jargon, I know nothing about cars or bikes so when it's like "OOh, only the fender to go!" and I'm like "WTF IS A FENDER I'M IN THE UK WE DON'T CALL IT THAT!"

You say that, but I'm pretty sure the very first level with the van calls the hood a bonnet. :colbert:

What got me (and had me subsequently figuring out the whole highlight from list thing) was the mysterious "control panel" I had missed in the backyard, which turned out to be the faceplate and knobs on the grill.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, part of the problem is when it's using jargon, I know nothing about cars or bikes so when it's like "OOh, only the fender to go!" and I'm like "WTF IS A FENDER I'M IN THE UK WE DON'T CALL IT THAT!"

FuturLab is a UK company. I think they tried to use mostly US terminology but some odd Britishisms slipped through the cracks.

TOTK complaint: I really really wish they had made it so you can call your horse from anywhere. I knew people complained about it in BOTW. They couldn't have given you a power to just teleport it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

grittyreboot posted:

TOTK complaint: I really really wish they had made it so you can call your horse from anywhere. I knew people complained about it in BOTW. They couldn't have given you a power to just teleport it?

They did give you a power to teleport it, it was the ancient horse armour and was DLC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that they made a lot of the other DLC/amiibo poo poo from BOTW just things you can grab normally, but decided a teleporting horse was their limit. In the game where you can instantaneously make an off-road kart that can actually handle slightly hilly terrain using some rocks you found underground by the hundreds if you don’t have the actual physical materials for said cart. Like, at that point it just feels like spite or something, especially since carrying over the stable is like literally the only save data carryover thing from the first game.

Also the game had a big horse as part of a sidequest that’s actually pretty cool since it’s so big it being slow means it’s still fast in practice, but they couldn’t figure out how to let me ride Big Sidequest Horse with a harness to do Korok hitchhiking with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Fatal Frame 3 kind of sucks. Like, the first two games aren't masterpieces by any measure but I enjoy them as far as ps2 survival horror games go. The first one is super clunky, weirdly linear and full of puzzles, the solutions to which are like in the same room as you or one room over; but it's also really simple and straightforward, except for that one monk ghost who's a fucker. 2 takes basically everything the first game did and just improves it a little bit, the atmosphere of the spooky haunted village is cool, the ghosts are a lot more engaging and varied mechanically, and the combat is more interesting and dynamic as well.

Then three shows up, reverts combat to the same clunky style as the first game with the mechanical additions of the second game, and makes the fast, rewarding, combo system a pain in the rear end to pull off. Furthermore it does this weird thing where it confirms that the bad endings to both the previous games are canon, and just kind of adds in a really weird heaping dose of incest to the franchise that just lingers about for the next two games. So now not only is the protagonist of the first game weirdly obsessed with her dead brother, but the ending confirming that she moves on with her life is just completely disregarded because now she's so obsessed with him she's willing to die just to gently caress his ghost. And the main character of 2 now basically has swapped personalities with her dead twin and runs off to go die to be with her.

Also like 2/3rds of fatal frame three basically depend on you being very familiar with the first two games which just make it a weaker entry in general, combined with the weird start and stop of its game flow where you progress a bit, wake up to wander around the hub area, go back to sleep and then are suddenly playing a different character for the next chapter really makes it just annoying to play. But really, what's with the incest in this franchise.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
A little thing dragging games down for me is publishers who release games in English that you can import and play on your consoles, no modding necessary. But the bonus DLC you get with the copy of the game is region-locked.

Yes, let me create a new account just so the Prince and his cousins can wear a tiny prince. Yes, I want to create a new account to get extra monsters and poo poo in Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher.

Guess I'll just go without.:shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Tears of the Kingdom and while I greatly enjoyed the game as a whole I think the final battle is hurt by the fact that it is such a straightforward "Link hits Ganondorf with the Master Sword" fight. The powers you spent the entire game learning don't come into play at all and the Sages who you spend the entire game recruiting just show up for one phase of the battle.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BioEnchanted posted:

I played a UK-developed game a while back (I think it was I Am Dead?) and my Yank eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the in-game gift shop selling rubbers.

Rubbers are apparently erasers OR condoms in the UK, while here in the US they're only condoms.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Jul 1, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I remember being really confused as a child because a British text based game kept talking about a "spanner."

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

muscles like this! posted:

I remember being really confused as a child because a British text based game kept talking about a "spanner."

They probably did it as revenge for that "monkey wrench" puzzle.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember us all having a chuckle in school at a game with the line "I fell on my fanny!".

Fanny means vagina here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

like darkest dungeon 1, DD2 has a well-written narrator with a great voice. the game does its best to ruin him by making every single individual menu click come with an entire 15-second line, over and over

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember us all having a chuckle in school at a game with the line "I fell on my fanny!".

Fanny means vagina here.

Reminds me of the Last Airbender movie, where an old woman looks at Aang and dramatically declares “ I always knew you were a bender!”.

Bender is UK slang for gay person.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Man UK people should be thankful for americans taking over the reins of the english language.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don't be such an arse-goggler (Ipswich expression)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Vic posted:

Man UK people should be thankful for americans taking over the reins of the english language.

its an incredibly unpopular opinion in australia but i agree

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't stand people who don't pronounce "herb" right. There's a loving H in it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't stand people who don't pronounce "herb" right. There's a loving H in it.

Exactly! And don't get me started on how people say "honor" and "hour!"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I will never be lectured by the british about pronouncing Hs

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I will never be lectured by the british about pronouncing Hs

H or "aitch"?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not British, because I've never rogered a jim-jam and my skin isn't gammon coloured. Content:

Xenoblade 3 is both very streamlined but also overly complicated at the same time.
  • There are no weapons or armour, but there are hundred of accessories to find and be rewarded with that you'll never use. It's best to auto-assign them and forget about it.
  • Gems only needed to be crafted once and everyone can equip them. However the game never tells you what monsters drop items needed, so you'll never know.
  • There are over two dozen classes, but the game tells to switch them around when you hit the level cap. Again there dozens upon dozens of active and passive skills to equip that you're best of assigning automatically.
  • Every boss fight will require the same old chain attack.
It's a series tradition that there are simply too many mechanics and the best strategy is the genius one of outleveling the opposition.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jul 2, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xenoblade combat systems always seem to take forever to roll out all the mechanics, and then once you have them every fight feels identical.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Actually Americans are only correcting the record, as "herb" used to be pronounced AND spelled as "erb" throughout the Middle Ages and was only changed during the 15th Century when a bunch of insufferable British grammarians (but I repeat myself thrice) tried to make everything in our language look and sound more like Latin. And even THEN, the "h" was still silent until the 19th Century, when UK speakers started pronouncing it. You also wouldn't say Honnor or Hower, so there's other precedence for silent "h" in English.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My real name is Herb.

It's pronounced "Herb"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BiggerBoat posted:

My real name is Herb.

It's pronounced "Herb"

Well now I feel foolish

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Picked back up Metroid: Dread on my metroidvania kick, and hoo-boy, this game simultaneously loosens up at the same time it locks you down, and does not push you hard toward to where you specifically need to go while demanding you go in, generally, this area. When you beat the first EMMI (besides the tutorial one) you can explore far enough ahead that you can explore around two other EMMIs in two other areas without being able to fight them, all so you can get a couple upgrades and take those back to further explore in those same EMMI areas. I ended up doing circled for about an hour between all the areas before realizing that one of the EMMI areas had a corner that does not, in fact, dead-end like the rest and instead takes you to where you need to go, despite never needing to explore that particular corner or sometimes having to book it past that corner.

The part I don't like is how the EMMIs camp you out. You can perfect-stealth your way through a place by not even getting an EMMI into "caution" mode, and when you exit the area and come back in, the EMMI will end up circling the same path over and over again like it knows you're on that side and seems to never go off to explore the rest of the place. The last noise this particular EMMI knew, I should be in the top-left of the map, and yet here it is in the bottom-right doing a loop around the one obstacle between me and where I want to explore. It makes the EMMI areas feel less like a hunting grounds to stealth through, and more like an annoying navigation puzzle where you can't walk from A to B, you have to go from A to E and then walk around outside the EMMI area so you can go from F to C so you can get from C to B. And you have to do this every time you're passing through until you get the right powerups to get to the item used to kill the EMMI.

On the flip side, you get hard-locked out of backtracking while exploring for this one tiny hallway in Area 2 after exploring through Area 3. So many hallways that will spit you out in one direction, trying to funnel you toward where you specifically need to go while making an EMMI circle around a particular point so you also don't go that way. Because if you do engage with the EMMI chase, they have far more options for getting around and will more often than not decide to randomly step on the one single spot that you're using to cloak and hide (even though nobody would ever decide to place a single foot on the ceiling in that particular spot just to step back on the floor and investigate further down the hallway) It's like they've got the Alien Isolation AI where it knows generally where you are + exactly where you are, but then use that information to "accidentally" find you at times (which doesn't start a chase, it triggers a nearly impossible to time QTE that instakills you)

It's just enough forced stealth mechanics that it interrupts the core mechanics of the metroidvania formula, fumbles them pretty heavily, and they disappear the second you reach an arbitrary room to get a powerup to kill it. I think I would rather the game go all-in on the stealth and make the mechanics much more intricate so there's more to engage with than just "run around or hide and get caught immediately"

bawk has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Jul 2, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dread is way more fun if you treat those segments not as stealth sequences but as chase sequences.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They make for pretty OK chases, but like this EMMI in particular was going up one end of a slope, down the other end of a slope, and through the middle of it using a vent to complete the circle. I wanted to go from right to left, and it was going clockwise around this chunk of slope, and stayed there the entire time. When I tried to approach, it either blocked the route on its way back or it sprinted through the vent so it could get to the other side and block the route. All of the theatrics and gameplay mechanics and effort to make the illusion of an enemy stalking you, and in-practice its just a loving one-way door!

E: I think that part really gets me, because i hate arbitrary one-way doors in these games. its carefully crafted and intentional game design, but it's still putting the bumpers up on a bowling lane. let me go explore!

bawk has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Jul 2, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Got the game during the Steam sale and I don't know if I'm just completely wrong but the combat feels awful. The ATB system just doesn't work well with the action-y combat. Party members don't seem to do anything unless you are controlling them, and enemies will just swarm whichever party member you are currently controlling. It's not clicking for me and I'm not liking it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How far in are you? Because options do open up a fair bit as you keep playing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kazil posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Got the game during the Steam sale and I don't know if I'm just completely wrong but the combat feels awful. The ATB system just doesn't work well with the action-y combat. Party members don't seem to do anything unless you are controlling them, and enemies will just swarm whichever party member you are currently controlling. It's not clicking for me and I'm not liking it.

It's definitely its own thing but the battle system is really cool if/when it does click for you. I wouldn't give up on it.

e: VVVV I'm generally the same way! but something about FF7R really jived with me anyway. I should go back and get the platinum, I think all I have to do is like one other Honeybee Inn route or something.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Jul 2, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I've never liked ATB combat! :ohdear: I either want pure turn-based or action-style, like the Ys or Tales Of games. The in-between just doesn't do it for me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kazil posted:

Party members don't seem to do anything unless you are controlling them, and enemies will just swarm whichever party member you are currently controlling.

I mean, yeah. You should be juggling who you’re playing as all the time to swap enemy focus around and build up their ATB bars to use abilities.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FF7R has a lot going on. It wants you to guard against attacks, just like Dark Souls but it won't give you any I-frames when you roll, unlike Dark Souls. And you also have a bunch of summons in nearly every fight but you can also control them too which is odd. And it's a real weird turn for the series to want you to use every character at once instead of the original, when it was the preferred strategy to just use Cloud since he was never leaving the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edY0yc_5Rns&t=87s

Anyway, look at how much swapping around they do in the first boss fight, it's kinda nuts.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like ATB has been a surprisingly inconsistent term, where sometimes it means a turn-based RPG where having high enough speed can let a character act 1.5 times as often as the enemy but expressed as a bar filling up instead of with turn order pictures, and sometimes it means "whoops you menued too slow, guess the enemy gets another turn dumbfuck."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PGA Tour 2k21 has video recording disabled on Switch. My par 4 eagle, lost forever :smith:

At least it was apparently removed due to performance issues rather than being an intentional restriction, which makes it a bit better. But man, it's weird comparing this to something like Tears of the Kingdom. I'd think a basic golf game would be one of the easier things to get running well on there, since everything's so limited in terms of environments and actions. But this thing takes forever to load and looks like it came from a generation or two ago, and they had to disable recording to get it to work. Compare that to TotK, with its expansive world you can explore seamlessly on the fly, and it's like night and day. I guess that's the difference between a random cranked-out Switch port and a first party dev team having six years to create the system's defining release :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing about the Switch is optimization for it is extremely variable. Obviously Nintendo's own titles tend to use the hardware well, and there are some very good third party ports. Doom 2016 is surprisingly well done, it's not at the same level as other consoles (let alone a high-end PC) but it is Doom, it still plays like it, you won't get killed by a sudden drop in framerate or an enemy spawn out of nowhere. That was actually pretty damned impressive. And Monster Hunter Rise was originally a Switch exclusive and it's amazing how well it works- they made the zones a little smaller than in World but that's really the only major thing you notice (and this one lets you zip around in the sky so they made all the zones much more vertical.) Then again that's on the RE Engine which Capcom is now using for everything since it's apparently magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Bravely Default / Octopath are not the turn-based Final Fantasys we want. They're fine on their own, but I do miss a good epic Final Fantasy with some form of turn-based combat.