Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Iron Sheik loving rules and even though it wasn't him on Twitter, it owns that he was like that, and I fully believe that if he DID do his own Twitter, the feed would probably look very similar.

RIP to a real one, Sheik you legend. FACK The Hulk Hogan, worse than Michael Jordan-er, Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sheik is one of those guys who I thought would live forever. Incredible wrestler, hilarious shoot interview, an absolute icon. This one stings.

DJExile posted:

RIP Sheik and god drat do I hope those sad sacks that have been running his twitter as if it was him for like 15 years now finally give it up

They included themselves in the announcement message so I doubt it, but apparently they were his nephews and he didn't. Having a social media manager isn't that weird but you can tell they started it young and just kept going, and it got obnoxious at times. Still funny at other times. Agreed though, hope they give it up and it doesn't become another weird ghoul account of a dead guy.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What's the oldest Sheik match available on the internet? Bryan on WOL was talking about seeing some old Sheik match and being baffled at how spry he was (maybe just comparative to his WWF run), and now I'm curious about seeing that myself.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rip to an all time great wrestler and tweeter i hope he cuts a promo on god amen

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

What's the oldest Sheik match available on the internet? Bryan on WOL was talking about seeing some old Sheik match and being baffled at how spry he was (maybe just comparative to his WWF run), and now I'm curious about seeing that myself.

this is from his debut year in 73 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62o5earp-8 he wrestled in njpw that year too so that might be somewhere

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jonny Nox posted:

I guess Stu isn’t getting his money then.

Lol nobody got paid from that show

***memories***

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's too bad he almost made it to the five year anniversary of his pinned tweet.

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1005469381126643717?s=20

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

this is from his debut year in 73 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62o5earp-8 he wrestled in njpw that year too so that might be somewhere

loving sick deadlift german

smarxist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 7, 2023

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

Iran number one!

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Never forget the Bruno story about brawling with six football players backstage and the only person who ran in to help him out was the iron shiek, who was buck naked because he was in the middle of taking a shower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLtJIx9ghM

sorry it was 1 football player and 5 other dudes

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 7, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

oh yeah, one of the best photos ever

Can't stop thinking about how Anthony looks older than Sheik in that photo and that it is a shame they did not trade places.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rip

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Suplex Liberace posted:

That belly to belly at 3:50, holy poo poo

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the first time i watched it i didnt quite know who was who because the sheik is rick rude style cut in it. I always remembered him being a thicker dude. I kinda wanna find his njpw stuff, a match with fujinami and him sounds tasty.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sheik must have been hell of cool because i can think of no other person who can make frequent threats of violent rape and tweet homophobic slurs every day and modern goons just go "lol thats our sheiky baby"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
prolific WCW enhancement talent "the Gambler" has passed away

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/172013/former-wcw-star-the-gambler-jeff-gann-passes-away.html?p=1

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw man. Jericho credits him for getting him back on an even keel in WCW. Things had left Chris kinda unmoored and he went out and had his little WCW Saturday Night seven minute match with The Gambler and he was all "Oh, yeah, I can do this."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

titties posted:

Sheik must have been hell of cool because i can think of no other person who can make frequent threats of violent rape and tweet homophobic slurs every day and modern goons just go "lol thats our sheiky baby"

wrestling is a profession full of shithouse people and if we litigated everything these people have done wrong this place would be loving miserable, and we've gotten close believe me

almost everyone here has internalized that the people we enjoy watching are more likely than not utter fuckheads in their personal lives. the particularly odious ones are usually not discussed at all.

sheik has said some gross poo poo but it's also fun to tell stories about him smoking joints the size of an infant's arm and using persian clubs in the middle of a golds gym wearing nothing but speedos and a stocking cap

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Critical posted:

wrestling is a profession full of shithouse people and if we litigated everything these people have done wrong this place would be loving miserable, and we've gotten close believe me

almost everyone here has internalized that the people we enjoy watching are more likely than not utter fuckheads in their personal lives. the particularly odious ones are usually not discussed at all.

sheik has said some gross poo poo but it's also fun to tell stories about him smoking joints the size of an infant's arm and using persian clubs in the middle of a golds gym wearing nothing but speedos and a stocking cap

Also like...didn't he tone down the homophobic language in later years, or am I just coping on that one? I mean, there's the one infamous clip that got this whole Sheik era started, which I just went back to watch in memoriam and it was posted to YouTube 17 years ago (Jesus gently caress) which means it might've been recorded in like, 2004 or some poo poo. Of course that doesn't make it OKAY but like, even 17 years ago (posted to YouTube March 11, 2006)...the SA of 2006 would probably make most of us cringe out of our skin pretty regularly.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sheik was one of the best and i don't really care what he did or didn't say, i was just busting the collective goon balls.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Sheik was one of the best and i don't really care what he did or didn't say, i was just busting the collective goon balls.

That's legit, I was just seriously asking out of curiosity; I thought I remembered something about him toning down the slurs in later years.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Let's remember the guy the way he would have wanted, with a rousing chorus of gently caress HULK HOGAN.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Let's remember the guy the way he would have wanted, with a rousing chorus of gently caress HULK HOGAN.

Also B. BRIAN BLAIR.

Jim Brunzell was okay, though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Also B. BRIAN BLAIR.

Jim Brunzell was okay, though.

I'm sorry but I believe you'll find his name was Jumpin' Jim Blunzeller.

(Seriously though I love how often Sheiky mispronounced names consistently.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

News to him:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1666837617219112962?s=20

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How do you get that far without knowing when to fold em?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

How do you get that far without knowing when to fold em?

Man, I WISH the Gambler's gimmick was he was a Kenny Rogers character.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I WISH the Gambler's gimmick was he was a Kenny Rogers character.

Being Kenny Roger's gambler is for pushed talent, if your a jobber your gambler character should be Kaiji

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Did mad tv do the Kenny Rogers bit?

It was it a different Kenny

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Did mad tv do the Kenny Rogers bit?

It was it a different Kenny

Yeah portrayed by Will Sasso. Kenny Rogers Jackass was pretty good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

will sasso got into a feud with bret hart on mad tv

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
There's a Gambler on the BC micro-indies and he looks very young so I hope he's not the dead one

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Oh yeah he looks like he's 12

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RIP Droz

quote:

PWInsider.com is sad to report the passing of former WWF and ECW star Darren "Droz" Drozdov at the age of 54. We are told an official statement is forthcoming.

https://pwinsider.com/article/172755/former-wwe-ecw-star-darren-droz-drozdov-passes-away-at-54.html?p=1

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just came to post this. Man, that sucks. Me and my fellow doofy teenage friends really loved Droz.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Aww jeez, that sucks. I hadn't thought about Droz in a while, but a friend yesterday was asking me about injuries in wrestling and we did a little mini dive into his story.

RIP Droz. There will never be another puking gimmick in wrestling again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
D-Lo is probably inconsolable (I mean that, apparently it really hosed him up for a while)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MichaelHamflett/status/1674863330580652044

:unsmith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He looked so good in DSOTR and he always seemed to keep his head up. I hope that he's remembered not only as a tragedy but in his own way as a triumph. Very sad, at only 54. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
One of the few undeniably good things Vince ever did or will do in his capacity as a wrestling promoter was taking care of Droz and his family for life after that accident, getting Droz an office job doing something I don't remember, and continued to cover medical insurance and Droz's medical bills.