Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

The L'ubor story is something that really needs way more time than two sidequests can really devote to it. Everything moving so fast really makes it hard to take any of it seriously. They literally go from stoning the dude to being like "you are right, everyone deserves equal rights!" within the span of like 10 minutes. I mean when L'ubor is going over the plan on how to deal with the monsters, he goes "can I trust on the city watch to keep the town safe" and the dude who just threw a rock at his head is like "ALWAYS!"

Also if you go walk around right after, there's people that are like "I keep thinking back to the time we nearly drove L'ubor out of town. What a fool I was" and it's like guys that literally just happened.

Yes I know the time isn't actually supposed to represent the real life time I'm experiencing playing the game, but it still feels jarring. FF14 tends to have a bit of a problem with this kind of thing too (look at the recent patch's Garlamald stuff) and there probably isn't really a good way to solve it when it's not the main story. But still

Video game time just works differently. There’s a similar point in Xenoblade 3 where you encounter someone hostile (Juniper), and in the span of one cutscene, they’re all “I remember back when I first encountered you, and through all if this you’ve convinced me to change my life entirely”. Dude, that was literally 12 minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

"We can yell at each other and be perfectly heard in any environment" is just a power you get when you're a major character in fiction.

Jill too the rescue with the subversion on this one (Crystalline Dominion Boss Spoilers): she had to flat out tell Clive that Joshua can't loving hear him 1000 feet up fighting against the giant dragon for his goddamn life

Clive's plan didn't include the cyberbrains of orphans across the planet (yet)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The L'ubor story is something that really needs way more time than two sidequests can really devote to it. Everything moving so fast really makes it hard to take any of it seriously. They literally go from stoning the dude to being like "you are right, everyone deserves equal rights!" within the span of like 10 minutes. I mean when L'ubor is going over the plan on how to deal with the monsters, he goes "can I trust on the city watch to keep the town safe" and the dude who just threw a rock at his head is like "ALWAYS!"

Also if you go walk around right after, there's people that are like "I keep thinking back to the time we nearly drove L'ubor out of town. What a fool I was" and it's like guys that literally just happened.

I recall the first quest happening a couple of main story beats before the second. Did you hold off on cleaning up any sidequests in between?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vitamean posted:

I recall the first quest happening a couple of main story beats before the second. Did you hold off on cleaning up any sidequests in between?

You're right but it still feels like it didn't have much room to breath. And no I've done all the side quests as soon as they come up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ibblebibble posted:

loving finally someone mentions Leviathan, but the only detail is that he's lost. Not even an ATL entry! Man I wanna know more about what the water snake got up to and why he's missing.

I need dlc for fishing with Leviathan. HOW DID THIS GAME NOT HAVE FISHING?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You're right but it still feels like it didn't have much room to breath. And no I've done all the side quests as soon as they come up

I mean in that case you do a whole cross country tour of Waloed between them, which going by FFXIV rules takes longer in the fiction than it does to play I feel.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I’m flabbergasted by the audacity some of these people have talking to a literal weapon of mass destruction without fear of consequence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I’m flabbergasted by the audacity some of these people have talking to a literal weapon of mass destruction without fear of consequence.

i'm pretty far in and next to no one outside of clive's immediate circle knows about his eikon, probably because if you're close enough to witness him transforming then you're going to become a briquette in short order

now, as for the iron isles priesthood, they just had a terminal case of the stupids

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

JackDarko posted:

It's hilarious every time there's a group of dipshits being all cocky and are like "boys, finish him" and then Clive proceeds to unleash every magical horror known to man on them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We call that the Kazuma Kiryu Effect.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Macaluso posted:

It's hilarious every time there's a group of dipshits being all cocky and are like "boys, finish him" and then Clive proceeds to unleash every magical horror known to man on them

1000%, Clive is literally spoiled for choice on how he chooses to dismember you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

We call that the Kazuma Kiryu Effect.

probably more understandable than kiryu, since clive seldom leaves witnesses

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You'd think Random Soldiers/Bandits would react to Clive suddenly creating a spectral bird talon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You'd think Random Soldiers/Bandits would react to Clive suddenly creating a spectral bird talon

*sees three of your buddies hit the wall in nine separate pieces*

"ah well, in for a gil, in for a talent"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
*the 3rd twisted and burned set of dragoon armor is discovered*

what could have gone wrong

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mean to rag on reviewers, especially because the game kind of trains you to ignore sidequests by making a lot of the early ones very boring, but people who said that the whole slavery angle stops being relevant clearly didn't do any of the lategame sidequests, lmao. That stuff is all over in the side content.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
negative thoughts after what i'm assuming is near the final stretch, just returned from the shores of Ash

barnabas is a badly unimpressive villain. i had a feeling he'd be the last one standing well before twinside - he mostly excused himself from everyone else's politicking so it figures he'd be aligned with ultima and his more fantastical goals - but i am so completely over badguys who pontificate on the evils of free will and the fact that he's no-sold two consecutive encounters gives me a twitch, especially after the ludicrous spectacle of the titan and bahamut fights. ultima himself at least has his eerie visual design to buffer his dreary dialogue, barnabas feels like he just stepped off a conveyor belt. there's not even anything here for me to hate, just exasperation. maybe he'll get some grounding before i finally put a spike through his head, but at the moment all i have to go on is that glimpse of his mother issues

gameplay-wise, i'm not 100% sure what niche shiva's supposed to fill. AOE damage? i wouldn't mind swapping out eikons but bahamut/titan/phoenix seem to be covering all the bases right now

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Arist posted:

I don't mean to rag on reviewers, especially because the game kind of trains you to ignore sidequests by making a lot of the early ones very boring, but people who said that the whole slavery angle stops being relevant clearly didn't do any of the lategame sidequests, lmao. That stuff is all over in the side content.

Yeah, that was the Polygon review -

quote:

As far as I can tell, every nation of Valisthea depends on slavery to make its economy function. Magic users, known as Bearers, are tested and enslaved at birth and given a face tattoo so that everyone can always identify them. They are worked cruelly until they die, are bought and sold, and aren’t considered human beings by non-users of magic. Cid recruits Clive with the noble goal of freeing the slaves, but this comes with the tedium of you, the player, having to watch Clive come to the realization that slavery is wrong. It’s a little uncomfortable to play as a guy who only realized it is wrong to own a human being about five minutes ago, even if the game goes to great lengths to show you that he was always nice to the slaves.

This slavery subplot doesn’t ever make a lot of sense, even though explaining the ins and outs of this system of slavery takes up the bulk of the game’s first dozen hours. But never fear: This extremely uncomfortable and poorly handled subplot abruptly disappears in favor of an end-of-the-world-level threat. The political situation of the nations of Valisthea ceases to have any consequence.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That Polygon review was baffling before I played the game and somehow made even less sense as I progressed. The bearer plot hangs like a pall over the whole game and never leaves. And the geopolitics of the nations drives most of the action!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

negative thoughts after what i'm assuming is near the final stretch, just returned from the shores of Ash

barnabas is a badly unimpressive villain. i had a feeling he'd be the last one standing well before twinside - he mostly excused himself from everyone else's politicking so it figures he'd be aligned with ultima and his more fantastical goals - but i am so completely over badguys who pontificate on the evils of free will and the fact that he's no-sold two consecutive encounters gives me a twitch, especially after the ludicrous spectacle of the titan and bahamut fights. ultima himself at least has his eerie visual design to buffer his dreary dialogue, barnabas feels like he just stepped off a conveyor belt. there's not even anything here for me to hate, just exasperation. maybe he'll get some grounding before i finally put a spike through his head, but at the moment all i have to go on is that glimpse of his mother issues

gameplay-wise, i'm not 100% sure what niche shiva's supposed to fill. AOE damage? i wouldn't mind swapping out eikons but bahamut/titan/phoenix seem to be covering all the bases right now

Diamond Dust is the best will damage in thr game and Shiva's dodge will freeze *anything* for a long rear end time if you perfectly time it. It is probably the most broken Eikonic Feat in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have not read any reviews but I think the fantasy slavery and the geopolitics are pretty weak throughout tbh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SettingSun posted:

That Polygon review was baffling before I played the game and somehow made even less sense as I progressed. The bearer plot hangs like a pall over the whole game and never leaves. And the geopolitics of the nations drives most of the action!

Eh I think the main story does kind of push the slavery stuff off to the side as the bad guy becomes the main focus of the story. But there's about 500 side quests that all open up right before the final dungeon (I assume it's the final dungeon) and quite a lot of them super go into Bearer stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Eikon stuff: Shiva's circle ability is extremely strong because if you perfect dodge with it, it freezes enemies, even bosses. And Diamond Dust is an insanely strong nuke that also obliterates will gauges.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Eh I think the main story does kind of push the slavery stuff off to the side as the bad guy becomes the main focus of the story. But there's about 500 side quests that all open up right before the final dungeon (I assume it's the final dungeon) and quite a lot of them super go into Bearer stuff

the main bad guy is literally the concept of slavery and having your freedom stolen turned into a dude you punch. He is there to give the themes of the story an end boss ala Necron/Ultimicia/etc.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SettingSun posted:

What passes for writing on Polygon is getting in a froth over nothing and expecting uninformed readers to pick up torches in support of a lot of pointless gnashing of teeth. Ditto Kotaku fwiw. I only trust goons these days when it comes to games. This community has its biases I don’t agree with but I know them, and know how to adjust for them, and more importantly nobody has an agenda other than boosting their favorite poo poo.

Few hours into this. I have a couple complaints that I bet have been covered in the thread but Imma toss ‘em out anyhow.

gently caress you Square make your font bigger and that goes double for every other stupid goddamn developer that commits this attrocity against eyeballs. I shouldn’t have to use the PS5’s clunky zoom feature to compensate.

FYI, if y’all didn’t know you can find that in accessibility. PS button plus square to zoom in.

The rings should’ve been menu options instead of equipment. I’m not staking any ground around accessibility here, though I do have opinions about it. But since these options do have accessibility implications, regardless of developer intent, they should have just been put in a menu. Who gives a gently caress if someone uses none or all of them?

On another accessibility note—not that the aforementioned rags would cover this since it means stepping back from outrage bait—the game has a feature that will point you in the direction of your objective marker. Now that is an accessibility option whether Square knew it or not.

Good game so far. Overwrought and too dramatic by half and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Eikon stuff: Shiva's circle ability is extremely strong because if you perfect dodge with it, it freezes enemies, even bosses. And Diamond Dust is an insanely strong nuke that also obliterates will gauges.

Also Diamond Dust has a really short cooldown for an ult

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Few hours into this. I have a couple complaints that I bet have been covered in the thread but Imma toss ‘em out anyhow.

gently caress you Square make your font bigger and that goes double for every other stupid goddamn developer that commits this attrocity against eyeballs. I shouldn’t have to use the PS5’s clunky zoom feature to compensate.

FYI, if y’all didn’t know you can find that in accessibility. PS button plus square to zoom in.

The rings should’ve been menu options instead of equipment. I’m not staking any ground around accessibility here, though I do have opinions about it. But since these options do have accessibility implications, regardless of developer intent, they should have just been put in a menu. Who gives a gently caress if someone uses none or all of them?

On another accessibility note—not that the aforementioned rags would cover this since it means stepping back from outrage bait—the game has a feature that will point you in the direction of your objective marker. Now that is an accessibility option whether Square knew it or not.

I completely agree with all of these - especially font size. I have a 55 inch TV, which while it isn't huge, isn't small either. There have multiple times when reading notes that my wife will squint and say "how is anyone supposed to read that?"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not 100% on how much bigger you can make it but there's an option to adjust the font size in the Options section, as well as add a background to it so it's easier to read.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait the ps5 has a zoom feature?

Holy poo poo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Holy poo poo

You have to turn it on via system accessibility settings first fyi.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Holy poo poo

When poo poo is accessible everyone wins. PS4 had one too but it was pretty bad. Imagine how happy my blind rear end was when I found out the zoom got better on PS5. So many games were hard for me to see and now I can go back and actually play them lol.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

When poo poo is accessible everyone wins. PS4 had one too but it was pretty bad. Imagine how happy my blind rear end was when I found out the zoom got better on PS5. So many games were hard for me to see and now I can go back and actually play them lol.

Maybe now I can actually read the text in half of the games I play

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Children: We've been dissembling then resembling everything we can find!

Clive:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Kotaku sometimes puts out some good industry pieces showing how dire the inner workings of companies are, and I appreciate that, but their opinion pieces are largely trash and so I avoid them like the plague. It's gotten a lot harder to find legitimately good game news sites nowadays.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Kotaku sometimes puts out some good industry pieces showing how dire the inner workings of companies are, and I appreciate that, but their opinion pieces are largely trash and so I avoid them like the plague. It's gotten a lot harder to find legitimately good game news sites nowadays.

Yeah I'm not saying that the intent is bad. It's just that like any acquired publication that loses its way, their house style is atrocious. Trying to find complaints that fit with a preconceived stance leads to uninformed readers and excess rage from same since you know experiencing something for yourself and coming to your own conclusions is apparently a bad thing. Don't know why writing in games specifically seems to have this particular problem so acutely but as a reader who'd like to stay informed, I'm stuck with them or SEO bullshit and that's not really a choice at all.

Eurogamer is still okay, thankfully.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

The Grimace posted:

Have they really done this since Schrier left

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eurogamer is still okay, thankfully.

Eurogamer gave FFXVI and Redfall the same score lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

I mean I ignore score on purpose so I don't know what your point is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

They called the side quests dull, which is a big lol and shows that they didn't really pay attention.