Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder if Cornell West will forgive my student loan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Let’s circle back around in November 2024

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Student Loan Never-Forgiveness will be 2032's Supreme Court 5-4 Decision

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Drawing on his strengths, President Biden announces new Student Loan Debt Forgetfulness plan

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
pack the court into another titan submersible

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

thank you Joe Biden!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJ0dR1kxbs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Joe promises he will do specific things if you elect him

Joe falls off his bike, trips on stairs, gets his VP hooked on large amounts of Xanax, and fails to do those specific things

"Wh... Why is your criticism aimed at Joe?" :qq:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

Joe promises he will do specific things if you elect him

Joe falls off his bike, trips on stairs, gets his VP hooked on large amounts of Xanax, and fails to do those specific things

"Wh... Why is your criticism aimed at Joe?" :qq:

it's extremely funny that he keeps doing all this, and yet will still end up being the greatest american president in the past 40 years simply by ending a foreverwar and not beginning a new one ...yet

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ending a foreverwar by... abandoning your allies to the Taliban.

iirc this was Trump's call, Biden just abided by it. So we can blame them both, in the spirit of bipartisanship!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:gas:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If Biden were to try expanding the court, Republicans would just block that too*. Would that also be Biden's fault?

*and then move to expand it themselves as soon as the next R president is elected

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm keeping it open so i can chain probe leon :thanks:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
No, no, no, you should trust your party because they definitely mean it this time!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

If Biden were to try expanding the court, Republicans would just block that too*. Would that also be Biden's fault?

*and then move to expand it themselves as soon as the next R president is elected

tha blameless one

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

You can blame Biden for plenty of things he's actually responsible for, I don't see why the GOP or their SCOTUS get to dump their share on him just because he's the President. His student loan forgiveness plan was based on sound legal policy, the GOP pushed a bunch of lawsuits based on no coherent argument or standing, and 6 justices picked the one they hated the least. Which part of that story is Biden responsible for?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
how do i shot loan

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

You can blame Biden for plenty of things he's actually responsible for, I don't see why the GOP or their SCOTUS get to dump their share on him just because he's the President. His student loan forgiveness plan was based on sound legal policy, the GOP pushed a bunch of lawsuits based on no coherent argument or standing, and 6 justices picked the one they hated the least. Which part of that story is Biden responsible for?

incrfedible post history

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
How long until they start filing lawsuits against the new income-based plan?

A lot of people would see their monthly payment drop to 0 under it. Republicans won't let that stand.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The part where, instead of just forgiving loans on day 1 he announced the plan and gave out the details specifically to give time for injunctions so he could be stopped.

Do you really not get this? Like truly? At some point when Charlie Brown keeps handing the football to Lucy to hold for the kick it’s his fault, not hers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SchrodingersCat posted:

How long until they start filing lawsuits against the new income-based plan?

A lot of people would see their monthly payment drop to 0 under it. Republicans won't let that stand.

Yeah that’s my concern. I feel like through all of this, there was always this reassuring “they won’t have standing because it’s dumb for XYZ reasons” but now it seems like you can just keep doing that on a partisan issue until you find a sympathetic court and get a slam dunk ruling in your favor?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Better just stand there with your dick in your hand mumbling about precedent and decorum then.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Every time I think about my ~30k in student loans and couple thousand in assorted other debts, I say to myself, "I should figure out what to do about that soon." I've been thinking that for 15 years now. At this point it's gonna be easiest to just stay on an IDR or wait until I die

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pseudanonymous posted:

The part where, instead of just forgiving loans on day 1 he announced the plan and gave out the details specifically to give time for injunctions so he could be stopped.

Do you really not get this? Like truly? At some point when Charlie Brown keeps handing the football to Lucy to hold for the kick it’s his fault, not hers.

I mean, if you think he could get away with just wiping the loans immediately, then what do you think could stop the next Republican president from immediately undoing that and re-instating the loans (plus extra interest because "gently caress you")?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The part where he didn't even try to do anything to make the plan more likely to hold up. Like packing the SCOTUS as soon as he had the chance.

Also the part where it didn't happen.

pseudanonymous posted:

Also this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, if you think he could get away with just wiping the loans immediately, then what do you think could stop the next Republican president from immediately undoing that and re-instating the loans (plus extra interest because "gently caress you")?

It's much easier to tear something down than to build it back up. Wiping balances is much, much easier than reversing the whole process.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

It’s almost like it would be good politics to do something for your base and force your opponents to paint a giant target on their backs by taking it away.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

He literally cannot do that.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/3589...0by%20Congress.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

The part where he didn't even try to do anything to make the plan more likely to hold up. Like packing the SCOTUS as soon as he had the chance.

When did he have the chance to pack SCOTUS? What could he have done to make the plan more likely to hold up other than basing it on sound legal policy that was in-place at the time it was written?

Be specific.

quote:

Also this.

This is a take completely ignorant of how anything actually works.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah, it's another case of:

LanceHunter posted:

Basically, every time there's been a terrible ruling someone on hammer-and-sickle-avatar Twitter will propose some "1 weird trick!" idea that will get around the ruling/defang the court/etc. (When they overturned Roe there was an argument that Biden could immediately approve the Equal Rights Amendment to reverse the decision, even though the amendment failed to pass and has been dead since 1982.) These proposed plans then spread through the online game of telephone until some people are convinced that they are actual solutions and not complete pipe dreams. They then see the fact that Biden isn't going through with them as a sign that he secretly agrees with SCOTUS.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
He just announced he's going to go around SCOTUS and use the higher education act

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

:byodood: Why didn't he just (flails arms around), you know, dictator it or something???

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cousin Todd posted:

He just announced he's going to go around SCOTUS and use the higher education act

This will be interesting...

New York Times posted:

The Higher Education Act gives the secretary of education the power to “compromise, waive or release any right, title, claim, lien or demand, however acquired, including any equity or any right of redemption.”

EDIT:

New York Times posted:

In his remarks just now, Biden said using the Higher Education Act would take longer than his original plan, but he called it “legally sound” and said, “In my view, it’s the best path that remains to providing as many borrowers as possible with debt relief.” He said that he had directed his team to move forward as quickly as possible, and that Education Secretary Miguel Cardona had just taken the first step to start the process.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 30, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The problem is that if he waves 10k of student debt then it becomes obvious he can do all the debt and simply chooses not to.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i really wish he would just andrew jackson it and go "john roberts can take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut, let him enforce his decision"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

No.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

At this point I don't really give a gently caress how anything actually works. All I know is Joe Biden told me my student loans would be forgiven, and now it's not gonna happen and I'm mad and I'm gonna keep on thinking it's Biden's fault cuz I'm mad.

EDIT: lol the mods had to put a 10-minute post timer on this thread cuz everyone is so mad

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The problem is that if he waves 10k of student debt then it becomes obvious he can do all the debt and simply chooses not to.

been saying this since very early in teh threead. if he has the executive power to cancel some, he has the executive power to cancel all. if you know you're going to be fought on it, why not go big? the answer, like any q about biden, is obvious though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

No.

At this point I don't really give a gently caress how anything actually works. All I know is Joe Biden told me my student loans would be forgiven, and now it's not gonna happen and I'm mad and I'm gonna keep on thinking it's Biden's fault cuz I'm mad.

EDIT: lol the mods had to put a 10-minute post timer on this thread cuz everyone is so mad

lol wtf. who did this poo poo. speak up