Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, there are no win conditions.

FF is right, this game is just about simulating how well you maintain the neocon fantasy.

Could have probably called this "Obama's Legacy" lol.

Maybe they can make an expansion and call it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao they literally made Suzerainty from Disco Elysium

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

StashAugustine posted:

Iraq was probably the big breakaway point with Russia, showing America was just gonna do whatever the gently caress it wanted and no one could talk them out if it. The Georgian crisis and the Libyan intervention were the next big steps but 03 is as good a start date imo

Iraq was actually met with some degree of admiration from Russia: it was like "holy gently caress Bush is just like a Roman emperor he doesn't give a gently caress and just does whatever the he wants"

but yeah Georgia 2008 was the red line so to speak

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, so they saw the threat but were psychologically incapable of acting on it, just a deer in the headlights.

They did, I remember before 9/11 Bush was trying to ramp up tensions against China, but 9/11 happened and well we know the rest

Though whoever was talking about COD abs fighting Russia again it did feel anachronistic back in 2007 playing Modern Warfare 2

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I remember playing MW1 and thinking "gently caress are they STILL using Russia as the enemy?"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
For me it was watching Denzel Washington kill 500 evil Russians in the Equalizer

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

For me it was watching Denzel Washington kill 500 evil Russians in the Equalizer

It is funny the Soviet Union collapsed just in time for the feds to break the mafia so that the Russian kob got to be the bad guys in movies for like the next 15 years

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

It is funny the Soviet Union collapsed just in time for the feds to break the mafia so that the Russian kob got to be the bad guys in movies for like the next 15 years

They were also the bad guys in russian movies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Is_Good_on_Deribasovskaya,_It_Rains_Again_on_Brighton_Beach

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

They did, I remember before 9/11 Bush was trying to ramp up tensions against China, but 9/11 happened and well we know the rest

In retrospect we should all be grateful to comrade BIn Laden for giving SWCC the space to grow.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Idkb it makes sense for the Russian mafyia to be the bad guys in Russian crime movies

Mantis42 posted:

In retrospect we should all be grateful to comrade BIn Laden for giving SWCC the space to grow.

I kind of wonder if that might just be more than a joke

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Could have probably called this "Obama's Legacy" lol.

good lord they could

no victory. just how good your administration will be seen by your neoliberal successors

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bedpan posted:

good lord they could

no victory. just how good your administration will be seen by your neoliberal successors

Even right down to the president is limited and must choose what to spend their political capital on

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mr Prime Minister will be a game about how many rakes you can comically step on/how much you gently caress up your country before being forced to call an election

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I kind of wonder if that might just be more than a joke

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Other Americans were the bad guys in MW2

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Don't you guys remember that GW Bush was aggressively poking the Chinese in early 2001? The spy plane crash was that year and people (well, neocons and pundits) were lathering themselves into a frenzy until something happened in September that distracted GW from harassing China

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I was sleeving the cards for People Power, and Mr. President tonight, here are some cards that stood out to me for many q CSPAM reason

Also absloute cowards for not ranking anyone past 1960

lol that Twitter being founded is on the same level as 9/11 and the Great Recession

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How the gently caress do you make a game about ranking presidents and then not rank the president for the time period you play in?

They loving have to make that Obama's Legacy module now and rank those fuckers :argh:

Edit: shouldn't you be able to use their game mechanics to score Bush, Obama, and Trump anyway?

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Jun 29, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

How the gently caress do you make a game about ranking presidents and then not rank the president for the time period you play in?

They loving have to make that Obama's Legacy module now and rank those fuckers :argh:

Edit: shouldn't you be able to use their game mechanics to score Bush, Obama, and Trump anyway?

I wanted to see the designers track them so loving bad, like you took examples from real life, loving play out a game with decisions they made and give these fuckers a score. Absolute cowards

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the ASPA rank polls suck. i need to see the media and coaches polls.

also how is slave-owning Washington higher then FDR wut

Popy has issued a correction as of 09:59 on Jun 29, 2023

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
hope your thumb gets better soon KomradeX

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

critical support for KomradeX’s thumb

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
lol my favourite one of those is that releasing the Guantanamo prisoners boosts terrorism

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah that one just gets more awful the more you think about it.

Definitely a window into the liberal mind though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So many of these cards are just perfect summaries of the Liberal brain

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I assume half of those are drawn from the CIA Actions deck.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John Charity Spring posted:

lol my favourite one of those is that releasing the Guantanamo prisoners boosts terrorism

Should I be sleeving my cards or getting those piece organizers? I like the idea of those third party organization boxes

But they don't make them for my obscure GMT and Avalanche games.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Jun 29, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

To do real world politics for a second, the US made a request if the Philippines could temporarily house some Afghan nationals in-country while they make arrangements about their refugee status and it has turned into a high-profile Congressional and Executive scandal because of politicians refusing to accept the offer out of "security concerns"

This from a country that repeatedly brags about how they took in a shipload of Jewish refugees from Germany that were already turned away by FDR

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

All the Latin American countries begging for US support are also good, especially the Central America one where the only way for them to become anti US is to not launch a military intervention

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

This from a country that repeatedly brags about how they took in a shipload of Jewish refugees from Germany that were already turned away by FDR

"You know, Carlos, bargaining is an art. You have to start low, show them you're serious, but always with a smile. It's a dance, like haggling at a deli over the price of pickles."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Should I be sleeving my cards or getting those piece organizers? I like the idea of those third party organization boxes

But they don't make them for my obscure GMT and Avalanche games.

I usually just go with card sleeves, maybe a few of the chit counters from GMT, but I usually just use sandwich baggies for chit storage, or whatever baggies GMT may include in a game

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

aow 4 not having a proper campaign is a bit dissapointing but thinking about it a lot of the mechanics just arent well suited to making one
the province system (which i like a lot, it allows you to create pretty internal borders), very limited healing outside your own territory, stacks moving slowly on the campaign map
they make sense and are balanced for skirmishes but make creating a good campaign scenario with exploration and adventuring very hard unless you change all of them
like, give cities a limited area they are allowed to expand to like what you naturally get in the underground (youd probably need to restrict city founding aswell) and add more healing/movement on the campaign map

they are apparently adding a dreadnought-like class in the next dlc which i am exited for, it was my favorite one in 3
the changes to ancient wonders means i cant do my strategy of sending wave after wave of suicide drones to weaken high-tier ones enough to be able to take them early though

also, played some unnamed fulda game with orange devil like two weeks ago and it was a lot of fun
we first played two matchups of the infantry deck
first game i played the pact motor rifle deck and ended up with a clear loss, it was my first game so not unexpected (zeppelin insanity gave me a lot of advice through out all 4 games which mitigated my inexperience a lot)
second game i played the us infantry deck and having gained some experience and playing a defence focused deck that suited me it ended up very close (i dont remember who won it though lol)

next we played the two tank decks with me starting with nato this time
third game i made a big mistake where i forgot to put a unit in my backline and made an illegal deployment, realized it after my turn was over and effectivly lost a crucial turn that allowed him to take a very important tile and put me on the backfoot for the rest of the game as i tried to retake it with costly counterattacks that he could reverse on his turn
still ended up relatively close in the end
forth and final game very exciting and after breaking through his frontline i repetedly pushed into his backline and was beaten back every time with heavy losses on both sides (i got a lot of value out of the 1 damage mortar card) but i retained the initiative
then when it was nearing the end steam had network issues and we were all kicked out of the session lol
i would probably have won though so im taking it as a victory

while the tank deck matchup produced more exciting and fast games with a lot of spearhead pushes and counterattacks the us infantry deck was my favorite, i like the defensive playstyle i has

if anyone else wants to play you can add zeppelin (Xan, with the tf2 engineer avatar) on steam and he can set up a session

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah come play some Fulda gap game y'all.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

For that last loss condition, is being impeached an auto-loss or is it actually being removed from office? Are they using impeach properly or are they using it to mean being removed from office?

I would also be interested to know what wars you start with in the different historical scenarios. I want to know what the game considers a war and what is considered just a military action.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Thats fair, but also funny

Itnis funny that the first one is a loss condition considering how mnay Libs are desperate for it

marvel avengers rear end game

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BearsBearsBears posted:

For that last loss condition, is being impeached an auto-loss or is it actually being removed from office? Are they using impeach properly or are they using it to mean being removed from office?

I would also be interested to know what wars you start with in the different historical scenarios. I want to know what the game considers a war and what is considered just a military action.

Gonna be honest, theres like 3 rule books and I haven't been able ro concentrate reading them yet

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I bought and played and finished Aliens Dark Descent over the last week and that's a really good game. The very ending isn't great but I really enjoyed everything up to that point and it does some cool things that other tactics games haven't done. It's a meaningful development of the firaxis XCOM formula in a lot of ways, beyond just being real-time instead of turn-based.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

BearsBearsBears posted:

it’s only an auto loss upon conviction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003