Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Our group has settled in on sudden charge being the best level 1 fighter feat. That extra action for raising a shield, demoralizing, or making a second attack is really nice while still moving 40' in heavy armor.

Shield Augmentation lets you use athletics to trip without keeping a hand free. Since standing triggers an attack of opportunity tripping can be pretty powerful as a fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I just power attack poo poo with my Halberd and it explodes into gibs and you know what? It's loving rad I can just unga bunga like that and still be a useful party member.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

Our group has settled in on sudden charge being the best level 1 fighter feat. That extra action for raising a shield, demoralizing, or making a second attack is really nice while still moving 40' in heavy armor.

Shield Augmentation lets you use athletics to trip without keeping a hand free. Since standing triggers an attack of opportunity tripping can be pretty powerful as a fighter.

This is fantastic advice. I was working how to include knockdown and improved knockdown into my build earlier without having to rely on higher levels and this saves a ton of trouble. And yeah I picked Sudden Charge.

Obviously I've just met my GM but for the most part he seems pretty solid. We did a session 0 and he's clearly got an eye for details while being flexible enough for good RP. If enemies are overwhelming very early on it's something to talk to him about.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 28, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

I just power attack poo poo with my Halberd and it explodes into gibs and you know what? It's loving rad I can just unga bunga like that and still be a useful party member.

Power attack is more of a 2-handed weapon feat. If you are using a shield you need an action to raise your shield, so you can't move, raise your shield, and still power attack.

If you are a human or second level you could combine Reactive Shield and Power Attack to get around the problem but the smaller damage die might make it less worthwhile.

Edit: I'm glad you are having fun power attacking with your halberd! I really like how fighter feats mostly give neat actions you can perform instead of numerical bonuses.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is fantastic advice. I was working how to include knockdown and improved knockdown into my build earlier without having to rely on higher levels and this saves a ton of trouble.

You can skip Knockdown, that line of feats only works with a two-handed weapon.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 28, 2023

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Unless your GM is really good and has ran a lot of Pathfinder 2e I would be very leery of homebrew, especially if they have a lot of background in other sloppier (mathwise) systems.

I hope they understand and trust the encounter guidelines in the GM Guide because the #1 New To Pathfinder 2e horror story is "my GM decided to create encounters based on their prior assumptions from other systems and now we're all dead". One level + 4 guy is way deadlier than 4 equal level guys, that kind of thing.

I don't think this is anything to be leery about. Converting a pf1 campaign isn't really any different than running your own stuff instead of premade modules from a balance perspective and PF2 gives plenty of guidelines/tools for it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

Totally missed that one sentence in it. Thanks again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Knockdown works with other things, it just has an additional provision that lets you ignore the free hand requirement if you are using a 2-handed weapon

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Combat Assessment is a weird feat because it interacts with recall knowledge, which is probably the second most underbaked system in Pathfinder 2e.

Find out from your GM what they would share on a successful check. The rules as written are vague and up to the GM so it could very easily end up worthless. Some GMs give out more information than the examples given in the rulebook. I tell my players lowest and highest saves as well as any resistances or vulnerabilities or a particularly scary offensive ability on a success. It hasn't felt overpowered.

If recall knowledge still sounds interesting after talking to your GM I highly recommend the skill feat Additional Lore. You can take it multiple times and you should probably do so once you've figured out what types of enemies are common in the adventure path you are playing.

Here is a list of the different creature traits.

Lore Aberrations or Lore Undead ends up being significantly better than Occult or Religion for two reasons. First, the DC of a Lore check is two lower than the check for a knowledge skill. More importantly, Additional Lore causes the skill to automatically increase in proficiency as you level up. This effectively gives you +2 to +8 on your check over the course of your career.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Andrast posted:

Knockdown works with other things, it just has an additional provision that lets you ignore the free hand requirement if you are using a 2-handed weapon

My interpretation of Knockdown was needing either a two handed weapon, free hand, or the trip trait on the weapon used to attack. Thank you for the correction. Knockdown is extremely powerful and if you can do it with an augmented shield I'd go out of my way to do it at level 4.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I just got Improved Knockdown for my Scythe-wielding Skeleton fighter and it seems pretty busted.

One roll and if you hit you auto-critically succeed on the trip which adds a little bit of extra bludgeoning damage.

Then they stand up and you hit them again and if you've got Disorienting Opening they're flat-foot/off-guard to your whole team until your next turn starts.

But all the athletics-based stuff is great. Keep forgetting to try an Improved Knockdown + Grapple combo so enemies would have to waste an action to break the grapple, waste an action to stand, then they only have 1 action left to do basically nothing.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
A brilliant basic winning strategy in PF2 is one character knocking down a bad guy with 3 people in range who get to shout "Free Digs!" when they stand back up. I watched it carry a Strength of Thousands campaign to victory.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Honestly I feel like Combat Assessment is not super worth on Fighter, both for the reasons KPC mentioned, but also because it's an action INT based characters potentially benefit more from because it's a good first or third action to take after casting a spell or to find out if they need to select for damage. And since INT usually gives you more skills to play with and adds to all Lore skills their builds tend to be more suited towards it. So if you have any INT based characters in the group at all you're liable to be outshined.

Meanwhile if you're going Sword-and-Board fighter Reactive Shield is great, and Sudden Charge really helps with positioning while also giving you an extra attack.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

A brilliant basic winning strategy in PF2 is one character knocking down a bad guy with 3 people in range who get to shout "Free Digs!" when they stand back up. I watched it carry a Strength of Thousands campaign to victory.

So that's the Strength of Thousands...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

...does every melee character in the party have an AoO or am I missing something?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

boxen posted:

...does every melee character in the party have an AoO or am I missing something?

That's the strategy, yup.

Comes online around level 6 for most groups that don't just have five Fighters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ran "Mark of the Mantis" with some newbies and they did overall decently well. The one with only D&D 5e experience said he was impressed with how smooth it was. The TTRPG newbies did well considering the breadth of things and were starting to pick up more by the end, but I really wish that we had more like 4-6 hours instead of the hard 3 everyone could do. Still we got through it, and had a fun time.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

boxen posted:

Had this with a fighter, summoner, magus setup.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Was bitching at a friend that the Shi'ar was such a cool an unique wizard that got left in the dustbin of history and he pointed out that you could absolutely make it in Pathfinder 2e using a Summoner. The eidolon is a djinn, problem solved.

It's not exactly what I had in mind but close enough.

edit: neither one of us had played a Summoner or GM'd one so I'm shocked to look at the eidolon list and see that there is not an elemental type. Woof.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 1, 2023

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Was bitching at a friend that the Shi'ar was such a cool an unique wizard that got left in the dustbin of history and he pointed out that you could absolutely make it in Pathfinder 2e using a Summoner. The eidolon is a djinn, problem solved.

It's not exactly what I had in mind but close enough.

edit: neither one of us had played a Summoner or GM'd one so I'm shocked to look at the eidolon list and see that there is not an elemental type. Woof.

I'm like 80% sure that's going to change in a few months when Rage of Elements is out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well that's great because it pretty much does everything I want with a Shi'ar (has a helper to punch people, has a Gen that you can boss around, is charismatic because they're always cutting deals with genies) other than not having the right type. So if indeed that's included, good job Pathfinder.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
do you mean the sha'ir, the genie summoner from 2e AD&D al-qadim? or something else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sorry, yes. I have literally been making that mistake/typo for 30 years.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Uh shiar? You mean Tal Shiar aka Romulan intelligence? you fool!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Uh shiar? You mean Tal Shiar aka Romulan intelligence? you fool!

no! it's the shi'ar star empire! a character to fight the phoenix force!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Arivia posted:

no! it's the shi'ar star empire! a character to fight the phoenix force!

This is where I got it mixed up, yes. I read a ton of Marvel comics when I was a kid, saw the word "shi'ar" first, and it's just sort of been stuck in my dumb brain ever since. When I read it in Al-Qadim it just sort of flipped the letters around.

Romulan stuff is also cool.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Looking for a bit of advice on character builds- I am playing a wrestler-Fighter in Pathfinder Society, he's level 2 and I just took the wrestler dedication feat.

At level 1, I already have sudden charge and snagging strike for action feats. For my level 4 feat, would it make sense to select combat grab? Or is that too redundant with snagging strike? I fight with a spiked gauntlet and shield, so in my mind my biggest competitors would be taking reactive shield or aggressive block.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Looking for a bit of advice on character builds- I am playing a wrestler-Fighter in Pathfinder Society, he's level 2 and I just took the wrestler dedication feat.

At level 1, I already have sudden charge and snagging strike for action feats. For my level 4 feat, would it make sense to select combat grab? Or is that too redundant with snagging strike? I fight with a spiked gauntlet and shield, so in my mind my biggest competitors would be taking reactive shield or aggressive block.

Grappling the opponent from combat grab leaves you open to more elaborate moves that can only be done when grappled.

Spiked gauntlets are also pretty good but also consider some of the ancestries racial weapons for real dumb stuff. I believe gnoll gets a bite that has the grapple trait for instance.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Today I had my first Power Attack crit that rolled maximum damage (twelves on both d12s) and boy if my entire table didn't just pop off for it.

Rolling up to a target and dropping fifty-four fuckin' damage ruled. :getin:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It is legit incredible feeling. Having it be 10+ means it happens often enough you can really like, enjoy it but not so frequently that it loses the charm. 3d10 halberd hits at level 3 just mwah

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

Today I had my first Power Attack crit that rolled maximum damage (twelves on both d12s) and boy if my entire table didn't just pop off for it.

Rolling up to a target and dropping fifty-four fuckin' damage ruled. :getin:

Hell yeah. I got a nat 20 crit on a finisher last night with my swashbuckler for a nice 3d6+1d8 that ended up killing the biggest threat in the fight. High fives all around.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Bit of a followup- is toughness now somewhat worth it as a feat? Thinking of taking it at level 3 since the slight bonus to recovery checks seems worthwhile for a character that's likely to be tanking as best as the system allows.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's not terrible, but I'd generally go with Fleet, Canny Acumen, or Incredible Initiative for most characters before I'd go with Toughness, especially as your first general feat.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Piell posted:

It's not terrible, but I'd generally go with Fleet, Canny Acumen, or Incredible Initiative for most characters before I'd go with Toughness, especially as your first general feat.

I took fleet at level 1 w/ versatile heritage. Canny Acumen I don't know if it'd be useful until later; if I take it around 17 so I can bump my Will save to Master. Incredible Initiative seems like a solid pick that fits with the character as "super-athlete" though, thanks :)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Canny Acumen has a weird ~10 level dead zone where the optimal play is often to take it at 3, retrain out of it somewhere in high single digits, and then take it again at 17.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

Canny Acumen has a weird ~10 level dead zone where the optimal play is often to take it at 3, retrain out of it somewhere in high single digits, and then take it again at 17.

Yeah, I'd probably have to check the respec rules of Pathfinder Society but I suspect I could do it...still seems a little too gamey for my taste.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I got the beginner box and am running it for the family. We have absolutely no experience with tabletop rpgs, but having the premade characters, the flip map, and the pawns helps the kids (10ish) figure out what's happening and be engaged. They were laughing so hard when their mom's character had a critical fail on the first wall and fell. It was a good time, and I hope we pick it up again next game night.

We spent probably 60 minutes to get through the second battle, and I was winging some of the GM stuff just trying to keep up and keep the game moving. I thought it would help more with learning the rules as I go, as Youtube had led me to believe, but it definitely requires being more familiar with the game than I was. Next step is to read the hundred pages that come with the box and figure it out.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tewdrig posted:

I got the beginner box and am running it for the family. We have absolutely no experience with tabletop rpgs, but having the premade characters, the flip map, and the pawns helps the kids (10ish) figure out what's happening and be engaged. They were laughing so hard when their mom's character had a critical fail on the first wall and fell. It was a good time, and I hope we pick it up again next game night.

We spent probably 60 minutes to get through the second battle, and I was winging some of the GM stuff just trying to keep up and keep the game moving. I thought it would help more with learning the rules as I go, as Youtube had led me to believe, but it definitely requires being more familiar with the game than I was. Next step is to read the hundred pages that come with the box and figure it out.

Really glad you had a good time. I would recommend reading the book first, just in case anyone does unexpected stuff. But don't worry about winging rules.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was watching an actual play where one character got a horse and it made me wonder about exploration activities while mounted.

Can you perform exploration activities while mounted?
If so, does your horse need to move at half speed? After all, the horse isn't scouting or repeatedly casting detect magic or investigating.
But then I thought maybe you need to move at half speed because it actually takes time to examine your surroundings for things like scouting, investigating, searching, tracking, etc. But if so, wouldn't that mean you'd need to travel at half your own speed, not half the horses speed?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Yeah, I'd probably have to check the respec rules of Pathfinder Society but I suspect I could do it...still seems a little too gamey for my taste.
You by default get eight days of downtime between scenarios and I believe retraining a feat is 7 or 8 days so its pretty simple. Pathfinder Society typically tries to use the core rules without any changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Did my first tabletop session in Pathfinder 2E last wednesday. Really looking forward to the next one. Most of my experience in tabletop has been D&D 3.5 and watching Critical Role for 5E at this point so being able to play 2E's Fighter is fantastic. Even at level 1 I feel incredibly powerful and versatile in a way I've never experienced when I've played Fighter.

I'm sure I'll run into problems with it down the line and evolve my opinion but the three action economy feels like it should pretty much be baseline in these D&D adjacent games just from the handful of combat in this first session.