Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jenkl posted:

n b v v v
How do you cut 6" of concrete with an angle grinder?

I'm imagining some space balls-esque giant rear end angle grinder like them combing the sands.

He's just going to have a shallow cut and brute strength the slab and break it up I bet. I work as a project manager for a contractor, it's wild that I can do any job decent and a few jobs well, and usually anyone who's actually good at a trade is awful at any other trade. Many Electricians can't cut drywall to mount a box, they destroy ceiling tiles with a passion. Plumbers butcher joists and mount backing studs crooked. Painters just ruin everything that isn't clean drywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

bergeoisie posted:

We’re finally making progress on two projects we’ve been talking about doing since we moved two years ago: painting the exterior of the house and a revamp of the electrical.

We live on a hill close-ish to the Oregon coast so we get a fair amount of weather and moisture. The PO decided to just continuously paint over any spots that peeled which just looks awful at this point. I’m very excited to have someone power wash and strip it down before painting.

The electrical system in the house is a loving nightmare and we’ve struggled to find someone who even wants the job to redo it. The previous previous owner was a local cannery magnate who would have his staff electrician do whatever weird poo poo he asked but only on top of the existing electrical.

This means we have a bundle of fun stuff like:
- a switch in the guest room that turns off all the downstairs lights.
- an old fuse panel with a fused neutral that inspires an “oh, I’ve never actually seen one of those” in any electrician who sees it
- a classic double throw knife switch
- a power meter inside the garage that baffled the power company
- 4 different panels of varying sizes and types to consult whenever your trip a breaker/fuse
- knob and tube in the upper level

And as a bonus, it’s only a 75 amp service via an underground line that’s not on any power company maps.

We’re going to rip out the knob and tube, consolidate to a single, modern panel, upgrade the service to 200 amp and move the meter to the outside of the house. I am very excited for it to be done.

This project is on-deck for me as well, currently have a 75 amp service and really old breaker panel. Luckily the PO left everything mostly alone and the few add-ons were done professional so nothing is dire it's just old and under powered. My dad is a master electrician, he's going to help me re-wire the whole house, new panel with generator/battery/solar in mind for down the road, 200 amp service. I know it's going to be a pain but I'll sleep so much better when our electrical systems are brought up to code and grounded.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jenkl posted:

How do you cut 6" of concrete with an angle grinder?

I'm imagining some space balls-esque giant rear end angle grinder like them combing the sands.

very carefully :D

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Fishing line works a lot better. Target or Walmart have it, or of course Amazon.

This was a great suggestion btw.

In other news, since we moved in several days ago, I've faintly smelled mold in one particular spot (they probably intentionally aired out this spot before our previous visits). I figured out today that it's probably coming from inside the wall between the master bathroom and closet. So that's just great.

The contract included an assurance that the condo would be delivered free of mold, but given that we closed I assume there's nothing else to do besides pay for cleaning and repairs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Our house came with a shelf full of half-empty cans of paint. We have hazardous waste drop-off very rarely. Is it true that you can open a can of latex paint and leave it to dry, converting it to non-hazardous waste?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Our house came with a shelf full of half-empty cans of paint. We have hazardous waste drop-off very rarely. Is it true that you can open a can of latex paint and leave it to dry, converting it to non-hazardous waste?

That is what my county's hazardous waste department recommends. You could also stir in some kitty litter to expedite the drying process.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sirotan posted:

That is what my county's hazardous waste department recommends. You could also stir in some kitty litter to expedite the drying process.

That's what my hazardous waste department recommends too, they also say that there needs to be less than 1 inch remaining in the can for air-drying to work well. For more than that they recommend mixing with kitty litter, sawdust, dirt, or shredded paper.

Make sure you keep the lids, assuming those cans of paint that have been used in your house. And make sure you're not throwing away perfectly good paint

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I've used this stuff before if you're impatient.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rock-Solid-Rock-Solid-Paint-Solidifier-2L/5001789401

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
we got a quote of $795 to reseal a bathtub, does that seem high?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Check with your local paint stores too. Colorado tacks on a paint care fee when you buy paint and the stores take old paint back for recycling. Latex paint is recyclable into more latex paint. My local has a limit of 5 gallons, I had a pile of cans in my basement that I knocked down 4-5 cans at a time. I probably have another run left to be free of it.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Grevlek posted:

What exactly do you mean by reseal a bathtub?
I would interpret that removing and reapplying the silicone where the tub meets the wall, and the main cost would be the 8 bucks for caulk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't forget the $40 worth of gas to drive to and from the job site, and $50 for insurance

Edit: and $6 for razor blades

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Don't forget the $40 worth of gas to drive to and from the job site, and $50 for insurance

Edit: and $6 for razor blades

Plus $20 of snacks at the gas station and $10 for a can of chew!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

StormDrain posted:

Check with your local paint stores too. Colorado tacks on a paint care fee when you buy paint and the stores take old paint back for recycling. Latex paint is recyclable into more latex paint. My local has a limit of 5 gallons, I had a pile of cans in my basement that I knocked down 4-5 cans at a time. I probably have another run left to be free of it.

Thank you! Not only does California have a PaintCare program, but there's a dropoff place near me. https://www.paintcare.org/products/

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
my apologies, i've only recently been inducted into the church of the homeowner, and my ability to communicate in the vernacular is limited

the 'floor' of the bathtub is peeling off. the tennants are using some sort of slip/grip mat and when they take it off it keeps peeling more stuff off the bottom of the tub. ideally in the future, they will not use this mat.

the resealing offered is to restore the 'floor' of the bathtub, and then to seal it with some sort of thing such that it will not be able to be damaged in the future.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So 2 hours to buff/grind off the old non skid, an hour to apply new non-skid, and then come back the next day to apply some kind of sealant? Plus prep and cleanup time. $800 sounds slightly high I would expect about $650 maybe? I would get a quote for installing a new bathtub. Google says they are $250-400 and come with a warranty of some sort. Home depot has a "delta classic 500" for $269 from ace hardware and $289 from home depot in stock near me https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Classic-500-60-in-x-32-in-Soaking-Bathtub-with-Left-Drain-in-High-Gloss-White-B23605-6032L-WH/321016477. If they will put in a new tub for $1000 flat I'd consider that instead of refurbishing nonskid on a porcelain surface

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 28, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That sounds like a pain in the rear end and I would gladly pay $800 to someone else for them to do it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Removing the old metal and porcelain tub is the hard part of swapping a tub.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is this a reasonable estimate for this work? In Washington if it matters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean that sounds a little high. I think I paid like $50-100 for the insulation guys to do an outside vent for my bathroom fan while they were up there. They were pretty cheap for insulation too (and we're willing to crawl up in my tiny rear end attic above the addition.

I'd say thats like $500 worth of work but who knows what your market is like. Get more quotes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
New main line coming along nicely as of this morning

They're just about done with laying the pipe, should be back in business by this evening.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Harriet Carker posted:

Depending on the microwave vent and how difficult routing it will be I think this might be a little over priced. If you have a asphalt shingle roof and easy attic access this is a relatively easy job. I installed a bath fan and range hood in our house last year, both vented through the roof and it was a pain but didn't take too long.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Grevlek posted:

I think I spent $400-500 like 5-7 years ago so considering how the economy has gone since then that doesn’t seem so bad?

Also yeah it’s a miserable job that you don’t want someone to half rear end or that finish comes right off.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Oh yeah ok that's some real process not just call a handyman and give em 50 bucks and a beer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Harriet Carker posted:

If you haw a competing quote and it is close then it's fine. It doesn't seem too wild, certainly not a gently caress off price. Looks like a contractor who invested in sales and marketing, traditional wisdom would be if you had a guy who just writes it down on a notepad it'll be less because he doesn't buy all that stuff. The upside is if your roof leaks I'd bet they'll take care of it.

If you're a handy person you can do the job yourself with relatively little risk and use it as an excuse to buy up to $1000 in new tools as it's maybe $150 in materials, maybe less. Roof vent kits are around $50 for the fan, two required, , roof caulking $10, ductwork for the fan might be another $20-40 depending on complexity, some screws and tape or pookie to seal it.

I guess it's not clear if it's just new ducting for the fan or the ducting and exterior termination, I assumed exterior termination was new since the bath fan was described as existing.

Edit, I just noticed the insulation, and I want to use it as an opportunity to complain how expensive duct insulation is. Any house has 100s of square feet of duct surface and as a homeowner you can buy tens of it at the big store.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 29, 2023

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

this gave me life, thank you

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

spf3million posted:

They're just about done with laying the pipe, should be back in business by this evening.

Did they dig this trench with a spoon?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grevlek posted:

my apologies, i've only recently been inducted into the church of the homeowner, and my ability to communicate in the vernacular is limited

the 'floor' of the bathtub is peeling off. the tennants are using some sort of slip/grip mat and when they take it off it keeps peeling more stuff off the bottom of the tub. ideally in the future, they will not use this mat.

the resealing offered is to restore the 'floor' of the bathtub, and then to seal it with some sort of thing such that it will not be able to be damaged in the future.

Is this an old cast iron tub? Almost sounds like flaking enamel, and if you're having the tub re-enameled yeah that is a whole loving thing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this an old cast iron tub? Almost sounds like flaking enamel, and if you're having the tub re-enameled yeah that is a whole loving thing.

yeah your choices are.. deal with a whole loving thing (pay someone to do it) , or slap a new plastic tub on top of the lovely one.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

spf3million posted:

But did they find the leak in the pipe? If not, maybe the leak is still there... :ohdear:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is this bad? There is a small hole in what looks like an outer layer on my foundation/exterior wall. There is sturdy structure behind it but when I poked it, a bunch of ants started swarming out

That’s not a second hole inside, just dirt

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 30, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

Is this bad? There is a small hole in what looks like an outer layer on my foundation/exterior wall. There is sturdy structure behind it but when I poked it, a bunch of ants started swarming out

That’s not a second hole inside, just dirt

Those look like carpenter ants and that's bad, but not panic worthy. Carpenter ants work slow. I recommend you head on over to the pest control thread. -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

My recommendation is to buy this stuff, read the label, wear proper protective gear, and then spray it around your house per the instructions. Especially around and into that hole. https://www.domyown.com/taurus-sc-termiticide-p-1816.html

Then after a couple weeks they'll die and you'll need to patch that hole. I'm not sure what kind of exterior that is, stucco maybe? So others will have to give you that advice.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks. We do have carpenter ants in that part of the house and have been having the house sprayed for them repeatedly but they are persistent. Those ants are much much smaller than the ones we saw inside and were told were carpenter

Either way I am having more spraying soon, and then yeah I will patch the hole. Thanks!

Edit: actually, I think I will do my own pest control. I haven’t signed up for anything yet and that domyown.com site inspired me to figure out how to do it myself. Looks easy, cheaper, and more effective since I can closely monitor it

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 30, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

Those look like carpenter ants and that's bad, but not panic worthy. Carpenter ants work slow. I recommend you head on over to the pest control thread. -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991

My recommendation is to buy this stuff, read the label, wear proper protective gear, and then spray it around your house per the instructions. Especially around and into that hole. https://www.domyown.com/taurus-sc-termiticide-p-1816.html

Then after a couple weeks they'll die and you'll need to patch that hole. I'm not sure what kind of exterior that is, stucco maybe? So others will have to give you that advice.

Quoting to save, I have noticed a ton of ant nests on one side of my house. I'm on a pier foundation so not too worried, but eh, they seem to be excavating like crazy. It's all rock and landscaping material on that side tho (and ants underneath), so I dunno about digging a trench to apply this stuff! But I do prolly need to pull up a foot to get a good quantity down on the actual dirt.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Digging a trench is for termite application. For ants you can just surface spray it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had persistent spiders and bees and sugar ants all around my house and sometimes they'd get in, particularly the sugar ants. Leave one thing out and they'd swarm it, so I used that terro bait and it would keep them invisible for long periods. Then in April '22 I saw a few large flying ants which quickly transformed into regular sightings of large non flying ants and that's when I had enough. Hired a real pest control place and they sprayed outside but the big ants persisted so they came and sprayed inside, and *poof* gone. I'm paying $60 a month on contract and I'd say it's worth every god drat penny. I used to see some kind of bug inside (usually spiders) at least every other day and now it's actually surprising when I see one at all.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Not sure about carpenter ants, but the last couple times I've had ant issues I've gotten this stuff and the ants were gone within hours.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Terro Ant Killer liquid is the only anti-ant product that I've had any success with, and that poo poo works amazing. Put a blob of that poo poo on a slip of paper out near where you see ants and they're gone.

It's also cheap as poo poo and you don't need much of it.

https://a.co/d/dUO5olv

I bought one of these when I moved in to my house over seven years ago and I think I still got a quarter of it left. it has turned a little brownish but it still looks fine I mean it's poison who cares.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Or make your own terro with sugar and boric acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Make your own boric acid while you're at it