Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I got this message this morning and it seems that 60k others did also.
That I violated their spam policy, even though I can see I made 3 replies in the last 3 months.

https://twitter.com/QuakerNana/status/1673682777462505474

This site suggests from this tweet that it may be because we use adblock, which is against Twitter policy.

https://twitter.com/bc_news_addict/status/1673687191422398466

https://www.thestreet.com/social-media/elon-musk-accused-of-yet-another-unpleasant-twitter-change

I have never seen an ad on twitter thanks to Ublock Origin on Chrome and am happier for it.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Oh hey remember how Twitter really leaned hard on being a place where brands, politicians, even cities and their emergency services could post updates and needed information and everyone could see it? Not any more. Now you have to be a registered user, and log in to see twitter. I seriously doubt Elon thought this one through, but Twitter hasn't folded yet and we're getting closer to the 1 year mark. A lot of goon's guesses on how long it would take to burn twitter to the ground (including my own) are looking less likely to happen.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/30/23779764/twitter-blocks-unregistered-users-account-tweets

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This also just suddenly happened with no warning

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Who is actually still using Twitter at this point aside from right wingers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A totally unintentional (I'm sure) side effect of today's shift: If you were leaning on Nitter to run the blockade, you might've just lost your Plan B.

e:

Alctel posted:

There are a lot of people who don't give enough of a poo poo about (or are so demoralized about) politics to make it their entire online identity--at least that's the impression they want to give--or who recognize what a nightmare it is to scoop out a community and reconstruct it on new ground.

And sports fans.

Actually that last one should've been first. And it could've been the only one, really.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 30, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Half the posts on this site are Twitter embeds just sayin

RIP to whole threads

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For whatever reason, twitter embeds still seem to work, but if you click on one you get a login prompt instead of an expanded tweet

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Guess it's just a matter of time before embeds are dead too - as soon as the crack R&D team at Twitter realizes this is happening and how to implement the change without breaking the site.

I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out that screen caps don't drive ad revenue the same way as clickable links.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Embeds are also how twitter is so tenaciously influential on the entire rest of the web. If he really does insist on people going to twitter.com and creating an account to be able to read it, that's going to absolutely decimate the site's ability to drive conversations

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
At this rate, I fully expect the website itself to be stripped down into a glorified account registration and Twitter app download link by the end of the year.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haveblue posted:

For whatever reason, twitter embeds still seem to work, but if you click on one you get a login prompt instead of an expanded tweet

They're busted on Discord at least. People are either posting screenshots or just not posting twitter links. Like it used to be that maybe 70% of the links on many chats were twitter links driving users to their sites and... nothing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alctel posted:

Most of the people I know are waiting for Bluesky invites before heading over there. I just got mine and I've got both apps open now, since Bluesky is slowly picking up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Young Freud posted:

Most of the people I know are waiting for Bluesky invites before heading over there. I just got mine and I've got both apps open now, since Bluesky is slowly picking up.

P much yeah, I have a pretty good follow list on Twitter and most of them are going to blue sky so I will be following suit when I can. Are you at all notable on Twitter or have you just been on the waitlist a while?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

P much yeah, I have a pretty good follow list on Twitter and most of them are going to blue sky so I will be following suit when I can. Are you at all notable on Twitter or have you just been on the waitlist a while?

They did big invite push over the last couple weeks, with existing users being given a couple of invites each. I got mine through a fellow trans goon whose on Bluesky already, since I've probably been on the waitlist forever, and it was a luck of the draw she saw my "bitching about Bluesky invites" recently and took pity on me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just use it for news mostly. I put in a BlueSky request but it was like a month/month and a half ago so who knows when I get on there

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Save us Jack!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Ugh, Jack is only slightly less of a demented shithead

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Guess it's just a matter of time before embeds are dead too - as soon as the crack R&D team at Twitter realizes this is happening and how to implement the change without breaking the site.

I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out that screen caps don't drive ad revenue the same way as clickable links.

He just needs to start tweeting out his let’s play of Danganronpa to get new people registering for the site.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean it's really annoying that embeds are not displaying tweets now unless you add vx to them

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Lol embedded content is the only way Twitter became ubiquitous.

Don't tell Musk that as he kills it. Bluesky will replace Twitter with a year.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'd love a BlueSky invite. I want to get on the newest social media app and watch it turn into an alt-right haven over the course of a few years. It's my favorite thing.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Coming back to SA as a Reddit refugee, I have to wonder - how did SA avoid becoming a right wing haven? We've been around for twenty years, the membership fee is pretty cheap considering inflation, and frankly the pranks the site used to pull would be counted today as fairly hateful targeted harassment (thinking of poison womb now that I'm an oldie who dealt with miscarriages is rough).

I remember D&D going hard on accelerationism in the early 2010s but somewhere around Brexit SA started hating the authoritarian trend and I guess still does?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tragicomic posted:

Coming back to SA as a Reddit refugee, I have to wonder - how did SA avoid becoming a right wing haven? We've been around for twenty years, the membership fee is pretty cheap considering inflation, and frankly the pranks the site used to pull would be counted today as fairly hateful targeted harassment (thinking of poison womb now that I'm an oldie who dealt with miscarriages is rough).

I remember D&D going hard on accelerationism in the early 2010s but somewhere around Brexit SA started hating the authoritarian trend and I guess still does?

SA saw what 4chan turned into and collectively went "let's not"

also SA has always had an emphasis on posting funny or interesting things and as the userbase aged and gathered more minority folks the concept of harassment became steadily less funny and/or interesting

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 1, 2023

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Good ole moot saved us from ourselves?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tragicomic posted:

Good ole moot saved us from ourselves?

kinda, yeah. he demonstrated what SA could be with less moderation and a userbase bent on being as extreme as possible, and as it turns out that fuckin sucks

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I don't know all the details because a lot of it was before my time, but from what I remember reading SA actually used to be pretty right-leaning and it wasn't until a few years into Iraq and LF becoming a thing that the leftward shift really started taking off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, there used to be a very strong libertarian contingent here.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbh, I think the 10$ paywall is a massive part of it. and that user above is underestimating it.

like society in general is still in the mindset of shitposting being a god given free right. SA's paywall still gets jokes about it even though some people have monthly simp fees for their parasocial bs.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games

PhazonLink posted:

tbh, I think the 10$ paywall is a massive part of it. and that user above is underestimating it.

like society in general is still in the mindset of shitposting being a god given free right. SA's paywall still gets jokes about it even though some people have monthly simp fees for their parasocial bs.

Maybe, maybe I'm just thinking about how as an adult ten bucks isn't that much anymore... I guess it keeps the kid's most likely to be radicalized out though

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

It has to be. A lot of it is people crowing about "free speech", and that doesn't cover a $10 entry fee.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My take is this: right-wing contingents in other websites had some legitimate people with horrible opinions, but they were also bolstered by bots and influence operations - those don't work well with a clunky website where each account costs money, even if it's not that big of an amount, and which is moderated by people whose response to "there are too many people to moderate" is "lol let's just mass-probe/ban them". It's friction you just don't get on websites like Twitter, 4chan, whatever, where you can just turn on a hose of bots/poorly paid masses of disingenuous users as much as you like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would also put a big part of it on Lowtax's massive neglect of the website. It ended up leading to a pretty weird community where a lot of admins and mods basically had to try to hold the place together but without the ability to make any real significant changes without actual effort from a guy who to some degree realized he'd stumbled into a money making engine and didn't want to break it. You weren't going to get anyone making any huge changes because at the end of the day Lowtax didn't want any because he was terrified of killing the golden goose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s definitely the $10. The inability to get rid of the human behind a disruptive account is what ruins other communities. If the disruption is the point and not the identity, they just come back under another name. A small speed bump to doing that dissuades almost everyone pretty quickly. Plus like was said it makes it very hard to spin up armies of bots

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah without the $10, this place would be 8chan and Kiwi Farms at the same time. Hell, they draw lineage from goons.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
LF did a lot to spread political humour that was funny and critical from a leftist perspective. It formed an important bulwark against the libertarians and conservatives and challenged their views in D&D.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
SA was trending left long before LF

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think people also just naturally grow out of libertarianism, heading either hard right or left as its incoherence becomes too much. As the user base aged, it headed left instead of right for some reason.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I certainly moved out of Libertarianism (to the left) as I aged into my 30's.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tragicomic posted:

In the mid-2010s, SA had a couple of particularly progressive admins that weren't hesitant to make bigotry cost :10bux: or perma anyone who had a clear tendency toward being a shithead. That's really all it takes: a simple willingness to consistently ban those kinds of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The 2008/12 toxxes purged quite a bit as well.