Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Schremp Howard posted:

Anyone planning to go to the National in Chicago this year? As a hockey guy who doesn't spend high end money I don't usually get too much, but there's so much there that I'll never see again in person that it's still a fun experience.

I was really stoked about it but then I got laid off in March and am still unemployed lmao. It's supposed to be bouncing between Cleveland and Chicago for the next few years, which is cool cause both are easy driving distance for me. Next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Went to a card show this weekend

Traded a few cards I didn't care about for a
PSA 8 Kobe

Then another trade landed me a Magic Johnson auto.
(Kawai Lenorard auto )

I had a lot more fun , because I brought cards that weren't PC, that I got through trades or breaks. So I was more focused on what I wanted instead of trying to make money

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Always fun when you're in it for PC. Makes the hobby a bit more digestable.

Last night I was contemplating picking up a Bowman rookie for Ohtani. It's the only one I didn't consider buying, mostly because it was $450 at the time. Last night I saw one for $700, put an offer for $650 hoping for a counter but it was immediately rejected. Then literally hours later they are all going for $800+ now. I looked at some lower graded cards but they are $400 now and I have a lot of FOMO and feel like I'm gonna make a bad decision soon.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I just submitted another batch of Ohtani cards to PSA for grading, mostly second/third year Chrome and parallels. I saw a few 10s going for $100 a few weeks back so I thought I try my luck and see what they get.

I also submitted a 2009 Topps American Heritage card of Obama and 2008 A&G of Joey Chestnut for fun.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Joey Chestnut is awesome.

I tried a competitive eating contest once, before Man Vs Food got big.

That stuff is no joke. The one that I did had a pro to bring in people.

Dude finished a whole 1lb fruitcake in under 4 min.

I finished in around 9

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I’m really glad I got in on an Elly De La Cruz signing just before he made his debut. I paid $60 to get my card signed, and now I see that the same promoter is doing another signing starting at $150 on cards. It’s $200 if it’s his 1st Bowman.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Sometimes you hit stuff in blasters. 1/25. Doesn't look to be particularly valuable but looks nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I've never bought a box before, but I'd probably find the whole ordeal exciting (as I'm buying it, receiving it, ripping it), disappointing (as I'd probably have nothing to show for it all said and done), then regretful that I spent the money on it and could have just bought singles instead.

For those that buy boxes of stuff, is it the fun in trying to get some winners, or do you just the process of it? I see people buying cases of cards, but at the same time those same are posting up these /25 /1 refractors/autos that they either got very lucky on or had to go through some serious volume to make up for it.

I personally find it a waste of money, but might buy a box or two for a special occasion in the future (birthday, random windfall etc..).

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I just got back into it, but I will only buy boxes of a set I would want to finish (2022 stadium club for me). Otherwise I’m with you on it being a waste.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Bowman is fun because every chrome 1st is a lottery ticket. Allen & Ginter is fun cause there's so many weird cards. Otherwise I only* rip stuff I wanna do sets of.

*ok not ONLY, I am a slight degen and will rip just to rip sometimes

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Box on my birthday and a box on Christmas morning to rip with my brother. Singles the rest of the year. It's really tempting not to buy a 2018 box for a lil bit of high stakes gambling.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I'm in a similar boat, primarily ripping just for sets, Topps S1/2/Update now. Almost all other hobby stuff is outside of my budget, but I might pick up a blaster of the occasional new release if I'm interested in it. I do like the look and feel of Stadium Club so I'm usually good for one of those a year. I'm a sucker though for discounted blasters or hangers, but I hadn't seen anything in those bins for months until I recently saw some 2021 and 2022 Optic at $17 and passed.

The only time I ever bought a case was 2010 Topps Chrome from Blowout. I believe that was the worst year ever for the chrome warping the absolute poo poo out of every card from top left to bottom right and the centering was right out of the 60s. But the real reason I hate 2010 Topps Chrome is in that case plus six additional boxes I got 0 Strasburg autos, 0 Heyward autos and 0 Stanton autos. Just got absolutely washed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What are the thread's thoughts on sticker autos vs on-card? Personally I loathe sticker autos, it completely negates any sense of rarity since you know he just signed a billion stickers and mailed it back. I know the exact same thing is true of cards but it's different knowing they actually touched it.

Besides, it's lazy. Look at this:

If Topps can get Father Christmas, Kris Kringle to do on-card autos, they can get Kolton Wong to sit down for 20m and bang that poo poo out.

e: you can't say it's fake, it says "Santified Auto" right on the card!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Stickers have always been terrible but logistically it’s a lot easier for the card companies to just mail a whole bunch of stickers to a player to sign instead of cards

I remember even a few years after he died, Stan Musial sticker autos kept showing up in new products because I guess Topps still had a bunch around

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Definitely prefer on card autos. I'll grab sticker autos if they're cheap PC players, and of course I'm never unhappy to pull an auto (unless it's a lovely reliever, that sucks).

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone used to do community breaks on here years back of old cases, it was so fun.

I remember getting a Joe Sakic auto/patch from the first year in Colorado that had 3 colors of the Nordiques logo.

Lost it moving :mad:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
After spending way more than I should have on slabbed Ohtani cards I'm now diving into the $5-10 bargain bin. At what stage am I with this? Is it over soon? :ohdear:

I keep telling myself just one more but keep finding interesting cards pop up on eBay and buying them.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bank posted:

After spending way more than I should have on slabbed Ohtani cards I'm now diving into the $5-10 bargain bin. At what stage am I with this? Is it over soon? :ohdear:

I keep telling myself just one more but keep finding interesting cards pop up on eBay and buying them.

They've been making baseball cards for like 140 years. There's a lot of really cool ones to find!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
NGL I now have like 2k locked up in cards....

After this week imma call it quits. Just too much stuff out there and I think I can just enjoy looking at them online.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Getting back in I’ve swung the pendulum a bunch, I was there with you on random cards.

It’s been fun researching different series and then making a list of players I want in that set before shopping. Easier said than done.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Shrecknet posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on sticker autos vs on-card? Personally I loathe sticker autos, it completely negates any sense of rarity since you know he just signed a billion stickers and mailed it back. I know the exact same thing is true of cards but it's different knowing they actually touched it.

From what I see in hockey, the sticker autos have a sensible niche: cards can't be made until a rookie has actually played in a game, so rookie cards progress through the season from regular cards, to sticker autos, to on-card autos, to the high-end rookie auto patches and things like that.

Of course, because Panini/Topps pushed Upper Deck out of the market for supplies during the pandemic, the on-card autos for 2021-22 NHL rookies are just now coming out, but that's a different issue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:vince: holy poo poo that Ichiro card.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Sometimes they can make the design clever with stickers and I don’t mind it as much. It’s a bummer because back in the early 2000s stickers were non existent AND people were getting cards out in a timely manner, but the hobby’s changed so much since then.

My personal favorites have been when they’ve done cut autos of sorts by having players sign card stock that goes into a window. Makes the auto pop more. But I understand those are more heavy on production and cost.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i need this card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQOXYB2cd8

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lmfao

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

On card supremacy, obviously. Wouldn't get fun stuff like this without them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBpFa1lKLE

And add me to the "need that Pete Weber" list.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm drunk and opening 71 packs of 1990 Donruss, welcome to jackass

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Hell yeah, hope you get some Diamond Kings!

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

You know you break too much when you find a Josh Allen Rookie Ricket on card just sitting in a box next to Laquon Treadwell, not toploaded.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
whos rookie ricket some udfa or

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

think it's this guy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
In case y'all aren't joking: Rookie Ticket is a popular series of autographs from Panini Contenders. That's a very nice find!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
opened a 2023 s2 blaster

/25

:lando:

auto

:bisonyes:

RC

:vince:

shane langeliers

:suicide:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Sunk Dunk posted:

opened a 2023 s2 blaster

/25

:lando:

auto

:bisonyes:

RC

:vince:

shane langeliers

:suicide:

It's okay he'll be on a real team someday

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

mdemone posted:

I'm drunk and opening 71 packs of 1990 Donruss, welcome to jackass

Donruss was the absolute worst about patterns in its packs. Normally, you'd expect with 36 packs and 12 or whatever it was per pack, you'll get roughly 1/3 of that set out of a single box.

Nope. With Donruss, you're gonna get 20 of about six players in each box and a scattering of others. Looking forward to the report of 20 Von Hayes, 20 Carney Lansford and 1 Bobby Bonilla.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Finally got all the Super Box pins! Traded for most of them, bought a few. Pretty fun imvho

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

camoseven posted:

Finally got all the Super Box pins! Traded for most of them, bought a few. Pretty fun imvho

I like these! Wish there were more for Series 2.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Allen and Ginter comes out next month. I'm such a sucker for that set. Will prolly buy a couple of hobby boxes

camoseven posted:

hell yea

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
When I was about 10-12 I would mail out cards to players by sending them to the team addresses that were usually printed in Beckett's. I got a surprising number of cards back and still have them. I still have no idea if they're real but it was so exciting as a kid to get one back in the mail. One of my favorites is a John Randle that is signed with a ball point pen and a Joey Galloway rookie that's personalized with my name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Donruss was the absolute worst about patterns in its packs. Normally, you'd expect with 36 packs and 12 or whatever it was per pack, you'll get roughly 1/3 of that set out of a single box.

Nope. With Donruss, you're gonna get 20 of about six players in each box and a scattering of others. Looking forward to the report of 20 Von Hayes, 20 Carney Lansford and 1 Bobby Bonilla.

I now have several Rance Mullineks but it's cool because his facial hair is outstanding

I did get two of the Bo Jackson Diamond King #1 in mint condition