Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

Sony should bring back Jet Moto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I said come in! posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I like that line of Kotick was able to make the biggest series ever from nothing, you have nothing to complain about! It’s like what boomers say about kids these days not able to just walk in and find a high paying job out of high school, clearly they’re the lazy ones!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Original_Z posted:

I like that line of Kotick was able to make the biggest series ever from nothing, you have nothing to complain about! It’s like what boomers say about kids these days not able to just walk in and find a high paying job out of high school, clearly they’re the lazy ones!

Kinda, but it's not about a guy right out of high school trying to get a high paying job in 2023, it's about the Sony Corporation managing to make their own FPS video game which seems a bit more reasonable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's no game that Sony can just will out of existence that will ever sell CoD numbers

It's like saying, 'Oh just make your own GTA'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are going to lose Call if Duty soon, so they will want to not be whiny dorks about this and start thinking up something soon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I said come in! posted:

They are going to lose Call if Duty soon, so they will want to not be whiny dorks about this and start thinking up something soon.

Summons of Responsibility

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I said come in! posted:

Sure, but I would really love a new Syphon Filter more.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Charles Martel posted:

Sure, but I would really love a new Syphon Filter more.

Also acceptable!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's no game that Sony can just will out of existence that will ever sell CoD numbers

Why not? Someone made GTA didn’t they?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
CoD is no more unstoppable than Halo was, or Quake, or Gears of War. It's kind of ridiculous to assume the end of history has arrived lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fanatic posted:

Nah, gently caress feral cats. Murderous cunts

Your native species are mostly terrible, the cats are trying to do you a favor. Also that's terribly inhumane and I am going to say gently caress Australia and gently caress Australians

e: this is the Xbox thread man, I'm just flipping poo poo

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 1, 2023

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
edit: nevermind bad derailment. I'll just say that despite the stereotypes we do have many small defenceless native mammals & marsupials that are endangered due to feral cats & foxes and that so far baiting/poison has been the only effective solution :smith: it's a lovely situation

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 1, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

webmeister posted:

Summons of Responsibility

A far better name. Very formal and top hat ware'y. More games should have canes and tea pots as primary weapons.

Edit: Also if MS does get Activision, they should just immediately cancel COD, just to force a whole bunch of people to play better games.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 1, 2023

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

dr_rat posted:

A far better name. Very formal and top hat ware'y. More games should have canes and tea pots as primary weapons.

Edit: Also if MS does get Activision, they should just immediately cancel COD, just to force a whole bunch of people to play better games.

This. I am so sick of people bitching about COD. It has less than two stars on the Xbox shop and I seriously doubt many of those bad reviews are from first time buyers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Like 2500 employees work on COD. Just think of how many Redfalls we could have if they were released from their mines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

CoD is no more unstoppable than Halo was, or Quake, or Gears of War. It's kind of ridiculous to assume the end of history has arrived lol

Eh, it kind of is. CoD hit at exactly the right time and place to basically take full control of a market and at this point it has such raw inertia that it will take more than someone else making a good game to break it. The current market also is so fractured that it is hard for anything to gain remotely the same power. People like CoD because it is the one FPS you can be assured everyone will be playing and will have a sustained life at least until the next entry.

It could eventually fade away of course but it isn't as simple as making a good game that people would rather play. Having the assured online community is a major part of its success even when it releases lovely games.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
uh what about CSGO?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lazy devs

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

uh what about CSGO?

Counterstrike is its own timeless beast and Valve will release CS2 "soon". It will do good no matter what happens with CoD. It's also a very PC centric game. CSGO launched on PS360 and wasn't a success. Now if CS2 launched on current gen with the option of mouse+kb it may work.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
nothing lasts forever, and call of duty won't either. it only takes a poor release or two (and/or dumb management decisions) to drive away a bunch of players, and something new rising up to take market share.

various games have looked like unstoppable juggernauts at various points and largely fallen by the wayside

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new Forza looks incredible holy poo poo

https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2023/06/30/df4c75fd2356b3b8.mp4

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I declare shenanigans

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's a really good stabilizer though, one of those machine learning horizon-tracking GoPro things, maybe? You can tell it's not a modern Forza Motorsport because the track looks fun to drive

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't think COD is unbeatable. I mean hell I think Fortnite or to a less extent Apex was pretty close to beating COD. They were at the least hugely successful even under COD reign.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't think COD is unbeatable. I mean hell I think Fortnite or to a less extent Apex was pretty close to beating COD. They were at the least hugely successful even under COD reign.

Probably because they were played by a ton of 10 years olds who's moms won't fork over $60 for every new AAA mp game

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

For some reason the car looks too “floaty” to me. I get it, it’s on dirt and the traction sucks, but the car looks like it’s on ice not dirt.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Beastie posted:

Probably because they were played by a ton of 10 years olds who's moms won't fork over $60 for every new AAA mp game

But isn't cod f2p now?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zachack posted:

But isn't cod f2p now?

Only Warzone, multiplayer and the campaign costs $70 a year. I am unsure what the player numbers are between Warzone, and multiplayer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

moon demon posted:

For some reason the car looks too “floaty” to me. I get it, it’s on dirt and the traction sucks, but the car looks like it’s on ice not dirt.

lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/will-xbox-win-the-ftc-trial-we-asked-the-experts

The general consensus seems to be that Microsoft is going to win their case.

quote:

Corley pushed the FTC on the possibility that some other game developer could come out with something better, if Microsoft bought up Call of Duty. She said: “I’m trying to figure out why the emphasis is so much on ‘Call of Duty.’ Isn’t there an argument that will force someone to come up with another good annual game? After all, Mr. Kotick started from essentially nothing, but he was able to do it, right?”

This is pretty much what happened with all of the competitive FPS games before Call of Duty blew up in popularity. You had Halo before CoD, and before that you had Quake 3 Arena, and UT99. The competitive FPS genre has changed rapidly over the years, and CoD today has a lot of competition.

Battlefield filled that role but EA gonna EA and hosed it all up. For a while though BF was a solid viable competitor to COD even though they had some notable differences. During the 360 era as well there were always the alternate years between IW COD games which people would be excited for, and then Treyarch titles which people were less enthusiastic for.

The first Black Ops game launched the same year as Bad Company 2 and everyone I knew was deep into Bad Company 2 and didn't really give a poo poo about Black Ops. COD fans were generally still playing Modern Warfare 2 and waiting for MW3, with Bad Company 2 being a really fun refresher in the meantime.

COD also rose from the ashes of Medal of Honor, which was the main war shooty mans IP. The IW guys made those under EA, then went to Activision and made Modern Warfare, then left Activision and... rejoined EA...

Still bummed a Respawn dev recently confirmed Titanfall 3 was in active development and got canceled too. Since this is acquisition chat I think it's dumb as hell that Microsoft didn't scoop up Respawn when they formed. EA refused to fund development on the original Titanfall so Xbox stepped in and paid for the game to be finished to make it Xbox exclusive. Game was a huge success and 10+ million and one of the best shooters made. Then EA takes note and funds TF2 but fucks the whole thing up and it's nowhere near as successful despite being multiplatform. This was during Mattrick era but man did Xbox gently caress up big time by not buying Respawn after Titanfall. EA clearly had little faith in the studio and they only exist today because of Microsoft helping them ship their first game. TF2 was a huge regression from the original game as well :(

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sony had a lot of really good studios making very fun and innovative multiplayer shooters during the PS3 era. Seriously, it's insane how many IPs they had and they were all varied, diverse and exciting in their own ways. The problem is from the launch of PS4 and onwards they shut all these studios down or just left them to die, so their entire catalog of unique and varied IPs shrunk dramatically to what it is now. It doesn't help that Sony were terrible at supporting online games and constantly shutting down servers as well as shutting developers down, but their current situation is entirely their own doing. Even Naughty Dog had to abandon shipping games with multiplayer after the majority of the studio outright quit and had to be rebuilt.

moon demon posted:

It's real life footage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't see how either of those games is in competition with COD unless you only take into account COD getting into the BR space with Warzone.

No one has even tried to get in on the COD space since like 2016. I guess XDefiant is. We'll see how that goes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

The first Black Ops game launched the same year as Bad Company 2 and everyone I knew was deep into Bad Company 2 and didn't really give a poo poo about Black Ops. COD fans were generally still playing Modern Warfare 2 and waiting for MW3, with Bad Company 2 being a really fun refresher in the meantime.

Actually black ops was cool and a bunch of the goon COD guys played it, probably the first time a Treyarch COD could hang with the big boys.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Actually black ops was cool and a bunch of the goon COD guys played it, probably the first time a Treyarch COD could hang with the big boys.

Black Ops was the last CoD I spent hundreds of hours (close to 900) on XboxLive because between Bad Company 2 on PC and in 2011, Battlefield 3 I stopped playing CoD mp entirely. Blops ruled and imo was better than MW3 (I gave it an opportunity but liked BF3 more).

I want Microsoft to get this deal through because I want a big digital sale for 360 CoD games :kiddo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Black Ops was when I really got into CoD. Its my favorite of the series next to Infinite Warfare.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played every CoD up to Blops a lot. I'd say it was more of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 being great games what made me jump. I played since the original CoD on PC (probably my favourite ever) and the expansion ruled so much.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

I just remember the "This ain't really COD" sentiment because it didn't compare to MW even if it was a big improvement over COD3 and I might be remembering wrong but I vaguely recall that after the initial launch a bunch of people just went back to MW2 while others were having a blast with BC2. Zombies was exciting and innovative, though.

And holy poo poo did BO have some terrible maps as well. There were some good ones like that snowy mountain facility one (forget the name but had the gondola, not the snowy huge satellite dish one or the snowy... random facility one) but then just a whole lot of trash. Black Ops 2 was a big improvement though, and they did wonders with upgrading the engine as well since it was very impressive for the hardware but I definitely remember the very noticeable divide between IW COD games and Treyarch COD games. I think it reversed at the start of last gen since Ghosts was terrible and BO3 was fairly decent. Haven't paid attention to COD since then and for me personally COD was only worthwhile during the 360 gen. Was utterly crazy when the original MW launched after Halo 3 and suddenly there was actually a competitor in that space.

I said come in! posted:

Black Ops was when I really got into CoD. Its my favorite of the series next to Infinite Warfare.

This is so hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I just remember the "This ain't really COD" sentiment because it didn't compare to MW even if it was a big improvement over COD3 and I might be remembering wrong but I vaguely recall that after the initial launch a bunch of people just went back to MW2 while others were having a blast with BC2. Zombies was exciting and innovative, though.

And holy poo poo did BO have some terrible maps as well. There were some good ones like that snowy mountain facility one (forget the name but had the gondola, not the snowy huge satellite dish one or the snowy... random facility one) but then just a whole lot of trash. Black Ops 2 was a big improvement though, and they did wonders with upgrading the engine as well since it was very impressive for the hardware but I definitely remember the very noticeable divide between IW COD games and Treyarch COD games. I think it reversed at the start of last gen since Ghosts was terrible and BO3 was fairly decent. Haven't paid attention to COD since then and for me personally COD was only worthwhile during the 360 gen. Was utterly crazy when the original MW launched after Halo 3 and suddenly there was actually a competitor in that space.

This is so hosed up.

Black Ops was a great release (on PC was vastly superior to MW2 in all regards) and talking like it was a poo poo game that drove the community back to MW2 or to BC2 is nonsense.