Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Look, you aren't really a member of the Starfleet elite until you kill either a clone or otherwise duplicate version of yourself.

Picard also killed his timeloop doppleganer and he didn't even vaporize that one! Wonder what they did with the body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It vanished when the time loop broke iirc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to nutrek's twin robot rules there is another doppleganger picard somewhere

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Picard also killed his timeloop doppleganer and he didn't even vaporize that one! Wonder what they did with the body?

Dereplicated, and it's fundamental parts re-arranged into many the Tea, earl grey, hot.

Circle of life and all that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always enjoy how pointless Picard killing his doppelganger is. Could've stunned him, disabled the shuttle, transported him, restrained him... but nah, Jean-luc was working through a few things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Picard just straight up murders his time clone if I remember right. He doesn't even say stop. He just shoots him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you ever encounter your doppelganger you have to murder them, there's no other way really

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The timeclone will have gotten him first if he has the chance

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Odo says killing your own clone is still murder, but I guess that could be Bajoran law and not Federation law.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

thotsky posted:

Odo says killing your own clone is still murder, but I guess that could be Bajoran law and not Federation law.

He just meant your own clone as in that guy made the clone himself, if someone else does it (weird cloner people/time) you have free reign.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Remember that time Riker vaporized his and Pulaski’s adult clones made by the weird clone people?

Well, they weren't finished yet, so it was just an abortion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soul Dentist posted:

The timeclone will have gotten him first if he has the chance

This. If you’d do it, surely he would too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x0KolVzpY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

No Dignity posted:

If you ever encounter your doppelganger you have to murder them, there's no other way really

"If you meet the Buddha Captain on the road, kill him"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

thotsky posted:

i think that had to do with odo being responsible for prosecuting that kind of thing on the station. i mean, picard isn't going to throw himself in the brig for killing his future self

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Only O'Brien knows he did it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I hope killing your own time clone is someone's Starfleet etrance exam psych evaluation.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

V-Men posted:

I hope killing your own time clone is someone's Starfleet etrance exam psych evaluation.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a time clone of yourself, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the time clone over on its back. The time clone lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m telling you, every Starfleet ship needs at least one Coordinating Metaphysician. They literally live in a world where a blind man taught an android how to paint!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a time clone of yourself, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the time clone over on its back. The time clone lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

It turns out that I'm really the time clone trying to usurp the position of the Prime Me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched Relics

It is a total LOL that at the end they give Scotty a shuttle and just let him gently caress off in this tiny craft to go… somewhere.

What a sad-rear end episode.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
not even half way into season 4 of voyager but this is a good step up in pace and quality from season 3 so far, really enjoyed year of hell this morning

disaster pastor posted:

The actual breakup happens while in "Warlord," i.e. the one where Kes is possessed, which makes it tricky to realize that, yes, it's real. IIRC, there was only going to be a scene in the Neelix terrorist episode where they discuss having broken up, and even that didn't make it as far as being filmed; the producers just didn't care.

and he just rolls on as normal after she goes all anime character because continuity doesn't really exist unless you are paris and torres

MrMojok posted:

Just watched Relics

It is a total LOL that at the end they give Scotty a shuttle and just let him gently caress off in this tiny craft to go… somewhere.

What a sad-rear end episode.

pretty much the worst of the shoehorned fan service appearances imo, something voyager actually did okay on with sulu

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

not even half way into season 4 of voyager but this is a good step up in pace and quality from season 3 so far, really enjoyed year of hell this morning

and he just rolls on as normal after she goes all anime character because continuity doesn't really exist unless you are paris and torres

pretty much the worst of the shoehorned fan service appearances imo, something voyager actually did okay on with sulu

Why no Kirk episode, in any of these shows? Is it because Shatner is just a total dick?

I’m not trolling, I am legitimately wondering

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MrMojok posted:

Why no Kirk episode, in any of these shows? Is it because Shatner is just a total dick?

The Kirk episode was called "Star Trek Generations".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
From what i’ve read about him:

* He’s difficult to negotiate with
* He’ll turn down any cameo, in anything, if it involves expensive, time-consuming travel scheduling
* He’s insistent upon major screentime
* Any hypothetical script for an appearance would have to be meaningful, rather than a “Hey, what’s up?”
* Since Kirk would’ve been long dead by the time of TNG, any instance of Kirk showing up would have to be in a flashback

They got him for Generations because they told him he’d be a major part of the final act of the movie, involving time travel and an opportunity for a fully fleshed out Kirk performance. And they probably had the budget to pay him handsomely for it, too.

There was a plan in the original script for him to appear in 2009’s JJTrek as part of a video recording that Old Spock would show Chris Pine to convince him that he and Spock are actually close friends, but Shatner turned it down because he thought it was fan service-y and pandering.

Allegedly, there was a cameo planned for Kirk and Archer to share a scene in Enterprise, but it never got out of the scriptwriting phase.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That’s all a shame. I mean, you can do anything you want in this show and in these movies, you can handwave anything you want, to make him appear.

There are no limits. Zero.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

MrMojok posted:

Other than

Powered Descent posted:

The Kirk episode was called "Star Trek Generations".

and the explainer he's a pain to work with/schedule, ds9 had Kirk they just used classic TOS Kirk which was the best way to go with it imo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DesperateDan posted:

dull, directionless tng rejects or rewrites

That's Voyager's biggest sin. It wasn't bad, it was boring.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mllaneza posted:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My dad likes Voyager, he considers Janeway his favourite captain.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are your father's feelings on Margaret Thatcher

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

mllaneza posted:

If it had all been boring that might have worked a bit better- because when it does work, it works well, and that makes the boring parts even worse

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Voyager S4 is generally pretty good if far too Seven heavy and S5 is just really solid, but those are the only seasons where the good outweighs the blah imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
S2 was pretty great. In S3 now and I could immediately tell “Remember” was a TNG leftover, lol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a good Voyager "essential" viewer's guide? Might try it with my partner after we finish DS9.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought season 2 had a ton of duds in but some gems like The Thaw and the Suder episode, but season 3 did feel like the highest expression of Voyager 1.0 before it got retooled into the Janeway, Seven and The Doctor show. I would really like to see how the show would have developed of most of the cast hadn't been shunted off to one character focus episode per season roles after Seven's introduction

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a good Voyager "essential" viewer's guide? Might try it with my partner after we finish DS9.

It’s like Equinox, Scorpion, and Blink of an Eye.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

And they probably had the budget to pay him handsomely for it, too.

Shatner and Nimoy were making $6 million per movie by the time of The Final Frontier. They each took a small pay cut on The Undiscovered Country so DeForest Kelley could finally get his $1 million payday, as he was already in rapidly declining health.

Shatner demanded his full $6 million for, what, 30 minutes of screentime in Generations. You can be drat sure that a random episode of TNG wouldn't have had the money for him.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

feedmyleg posted:

If you just want the stuff that's dealing with the overall plot then it's probably gonna be about 10 episodes long and you will miss some good stuff-

I initially did it a few years back by contrasting a few episode guides that often disagreed on stuff and I feel I missed out on some good stuff on coming back and watching them all because voyager ain't really about the story line

drawing from my ever growing excel spreadsheet and combining the ones I gave better scores with those few that are flagged for continuity-

s1

Caretaker, state of flux, heroes and demons, faces, learning curve

s2

Projections, cold fire, maneuvers, resistance, meld, dreadnought, deadlock, basics

s3

The chute, remember, real life, worst case scenario, scorpion

s4 (only up to ep9)

The gift, day of honour, nemesis, year of hell

you need more after that then ask because by then I will probably be slogging through enterprise and ready to claw my own eyes out

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just got to the Worf episode where Bashir treats depression with ego death. What the actual gently caress.