Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ikkoku Nikki is so good. Just an absolute masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The Witch's Marriage is complete. They got married happily if you care about the ending.
https://mangadex.org/title/9b7c6a16-5759-4598-99aa-0ef01f8c2e74/the-witch-s-marriage

Sexy witch needs to get married for a ritual and marries a cute witch who is openly in love with her. But sexy witch is actually massively tsundere for the cute witch.
It is quite cute and funny and everybody is dumb in a cute way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

(NSFW) This chapter from the Lily & Ivy anthology received a new translation. There was another scan of this floating around of much poorer quality. Not a stand out or anything but its fun, though I think the last page undercuts the rest of the one shot.

thetoughestbean posted:

Ikkoku Nikki is so good. Just an absolute masterpiece

Makio recommending Friend Green Tomatoes is super iconic. A true friend to the LGBT community 🫡

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally started reading Green Tea Bitch and omg I love these two lesbian disasters so much

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ToxicFrog posted:

Finally started reading Green Tea Bitch and omg I love these two lesbian disasters so much

Oh that one is so fun! Also, I believe it's finished.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh that one is so fun! Also, I believe it's finished.

It is, yes! That's why I started reading it.

E: I just finished ch13 and oh my god, these two absolute muppets :psyduck:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 12, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This story is just like me when I would fall in love with the weather women on my local tv station.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gently caress, that was excellent.
Same can be said for the credits page.

Also, it looks like its the mangaka's first work, because besides this there are only illustrations on their Pixiv - so I definitely look forward to more of their work!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I recently watched Bloom Into You (and then read the remainder of the manga) and goddamn it's refreshing to see sapphic & asexual attraction explored so well onscreen. (Manga ending spoilers) I had my doubts about them as a healthy couple, but I was pretty happy with their growth and balance by the end of the series. It felt real and earned.

I know there are a ton of sapphic/yuri romance mangas out there (and this thread has no shortage of them) but somehow I only recently realised those stories were becoming more mainstream in anime too.

What are some other good sapphic animes from the last decade? I'm sure I've missed a bunch. I heard good things about The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady but I'm struggling to get into it.

Edit: Going back further than that, I know Utena and Nana are highly regarded. I watched the latter when it first aired, but that was so long ago and I'm (literally) a different person now. Perhaps I'll rewatch it!

jassa fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 28, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

jassa posted:

What are some other good sapphic animes from the last decade? I'm sure I've missed a bunch. I heard good things about The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady but I'm struggling to get into it.

Edit: Going back further than that, I know Utena and Nana are highly regarded. I watched the latter when it first aired, but that was so long ago and I'm (literally) a different person now. Perhaps I'll rewatch it!

i liked girl in twilight and granblem

for something even more recent birdie wing just finished up. its super fun and the character designs end up feeling like a fresh of air compared to all the other ones we been getting in recent yuri anime, lol

older than a decade, but i finished noir this year and while the middle flounders a bit the finale just hits it out of the park.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Snooze Cruise posted:

i liked girl in twilight and granblem

for something even more recent birdie wing just finished up. its super fun and the character designs end up feeling like a fresh of air compared to all the other ones we been getting in recent yuri anime, lol

older than a decade, but i finished noir this year and while the middle flounders a bit the finale just hits it out of the park.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

I know I watched Noir back in the day, but I've forgotten nearly everything about it. Good to hear it holds up though.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

watch Revue Starlight

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
The problem with yuri anime as such is that they tend to be adaptations of fairly slow-burn works that only get one season. So like Adachi and Shimamura is pretty decent but it also just kind of ends before most of the relationship development from the books. Along with Magical Revolution, The Executioner and Her Way of Life is another one people broadly liked recently, but they all have this issue.

Sound! Euphonium and SSSS.Gridman aren't romances as such and more about exploring queer girls' interiority, but they are personal favourites. More unconditional recs are Liz and the Blue Bird (gorgeous movie sequel to Euphonium, so that is also worth watching to get the most out of this) and Gundam: Witch from Mercury (ends this sunday; personally I'm a bit lukewarm on it rn but it has a lot of fans and demands no prior familiarity with Gundam)

More niche recs: Blue Reflection Ray (odd looking show but great writing, also play the video game Blue Reflection Second Light), Machikado Mazoku (deceptively smart goofball comedy), Flip Flappers (not quite my personal vibe but very colourful and dynamic) and Assault Lily (thoroughly trashy but oddly fun). And yeah, Girl in Twilight, Granbelm and Revue Starlight are all worth a look.

Edit: Also to discard the "this decade" qualifier for a moment: If you haven't yet, watch Maria-sama ga Miteru. It's a classic of the genre and solid throughout, but gets brilliant in season 4

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 28, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's been ages since I watched Noir but I remember really enjoying it.

Are the spiritual successors, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jassa posted:

to be clear nana has some elements of lesbian tension to it but i definitely wouldnt call it a lesbian romance, its more about the messy lovelives/relationships of the characters in general (and there's a lot of stuff with dudes)

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
YuriKuma Arashi is by the director of Utena (which you should definitely watch! my favorite show ever, and is an all time great sapphic story!) and is meant as a sort of commentary on the yuri genre and how lesbians are portrayed in culture. It's incredibly horny, and I'm not 100% certain it nails the landing, but it is definitely about queer women and sapphic love.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

gently caress, that was excellent.
Same can be said for the credits page.

Also, it looks like its the mangaka's first work, because besides this there are only illustrations on their Pixiv - so I definitely look forward to more of their work!

Btw they've uploaded a series by the author now, about a girl coaxing a delinquent to say cute things.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/a_delinquent_a_transfer_student_and_their_silly_little_game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

two new chapters of broom into you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

but enough about surveyors,

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
new volume of boyish2, the butch x butch anthology series, is being kickstarted!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ToxicFrog posted:

It's been ages since I watched Noir but I remember really enjoying it.

Are the spiritual successors, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, any good?

I found Madlax okay but kind of middling. I started over a couple of times watching it because I had a hard time following things - it gets... very weird by the end?

I really liked El Cazador de la Bruja and the dynamic between the two protagonists buuuuut it has a pretty rough depiction of a pair of trans women who are minor reoccurring 'joke' antagonists right in the opening arc.
They eventually stop showing up but they get brought back for one last bonus fat joke in the epilogue. Despite how much I ended up liking the series beyond that, it's not really the kind of thing I feel comfortable asking someone else to overlook.

Both series get pretty gay at least

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Personally I thought Noir was very dull but Madlax and El Cazador were both marked improvements in terms of having like, actual characters with actual interactions that I gave a poo poo about. Also Madlax's dumb plot was way more fun than Noir's boring assassin conspiracy and the main villain is named Friday Monday, which the characters make sure to declare dramatically at every opportunity. El Cazador is much lighter on plot and more purely character/relationship-focused than the other two and does a great job using its episodic adventures to slowly develop the lead duo's relationship, I consider it by far the best of the three

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
noir is all mood and atmosphere. also the reveal is that the conspiracy has a faction of old men who stare at a fireplace and a faction led by women that dedicates itself to a yuri religion and has nuns with guns. and there is a power struggle between the two groups. simplifying it to "boring assassin conspiracy" is doing it a major disservice lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 30, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

I found Madlax okay but kind of middling. I started over a couple of times watching it because I had a hard time following things - it gets... very weird by the end?
"It gets weird and hard to follow by the end" describes a lot of anime for some reason. For a while I thought it was an artefact of teams adapting ongoing manga running out of source material and frantically trying to come up with a satisfying ending in like four episodes (e.g. Full Metal Alchemist), but it also seems to happen when it's an original work not based on a manga at all (Vision of Escaflowne, Mai-HiME) or when it's a spinoff or inspired-by not directly adapting another work (R.O.D. the TV).

That doesn't mean it can't be fun though. :v:

quote:

I really liked El Cazador de la Bruja and the dynamic between the two protagonists buuuuut it has a pretty rough depiction of a pair of trans women who are minor reoccurring 'joke' antagonists right in the opening arc.
They eventually stop showing up but they get brought back for one last bonus fat joke in the epilogue. Despite how much I ended up liking the series beyond that, it's not really the kind of thing I feel comfortable asking someone else to overlook.
That's not great but I might check it out anyways.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

noir is all mood and atmosphere. also the reveal is that the conspiracy has a faction of old men who stare at a fireplace and a faction led by women that dedicates itself to a yuri religion and has nuns with guns. and there is a power struggle between the two groups. simplifying it to "boring assassin conspiracy" is doing it a major disservice lol.

See my problem with Noir is it took too long to get the Church assasins and it didn't get enough time with them. Whereas Madlax and El Cazador introduced the weird stuff much earlier

Anyway for spiritual successors to the trio the closest recent series is Princess Principal and also Flip Flappers has a decent amount of the same energy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some people just don't deserve understated gun fights while canta per me plays and it shows :'(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

some people just don't deserve understated gun fights while canta per me plays and it shows :'(

Brb going to listen to the Noir OST again

Canta Per Me is an all-timer

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yuki Kajura has done some amazing work and all her Bee Train soundtracks are amazing

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yuki Kajura has done some amazing work and all her Bee Train soundtracks are amazing

I think overall I like her work on Madoka Magika and Mai-HiME more, but every soundtrack she's worked on has at least a few absolutely incredible pieces.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
On the subject of classic anime about gay ladies whom shoot guns, I picked up Bakuretsu Tenshi a while ago and it holds up surprisingly well (aside from the fact that the secondary protagonist/love interest mostly seems to exist to gently caress up and get kidnapped so that Jo can rescue her). I watched it back-to-back with Lycoris Recoil and kinda got struck by the thought that the protagonists in one show would be the villains in the other; they're similar in theme and tone but with markedly different sympathies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
wait how did i forget Symphogear when talking about actiony yuri anime

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I Want To Quit Being A Hitman is getting increasingly silly after threatening to get really grim early on, and I'm here for it. Please, please let these two secret agent women become a real couple. You can't just tease us after that fight.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

We got ourselves some stargazing yuri

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

we also finally got a new chapter of voice first, face first, hollyhock

as usual yodokawa's faces are the cutest faces...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Remember when Witch's Servant got a chapter translated but it turns out it was by some goofus machine-translating it? It got a different group to pick it up, because it's actually translated by human beings now.

It doesn't have nearly as much charm as the previous group who dropped it (and likely won't have as much tact on the gender stuff either,) but it's actually readable.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

mdct posted:

Remember when Witch's Servant got a chapter translated but it turns out it was by some goofus machine-translating it? It got a different group to pick it up, because it's actually translated by human beings now.

It doesn't have nearly as much charm as the previous group who dropped it (and likely won't have as much tact on the gender stuff either,) but it's actually readable.

Says the new translation was done and uploaded by Generic Scanlations, the same group who was previously working on it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mdct posted:

It looks like the new group is the same as the old one (Generic Scanlations) though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

mdct posted:

I don't care about the fine details of charm, I don't care about the exact group*, I care that there's freaking Witch's Servant translations again :derp:
And wow, that was a good chapter, too. So many great moments for Rei. And the new villain has a cool design, at the very least.

*As long as they'll handle the gender stuff alright, which they seem to be doing.