Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gwendolyn Poole started as a Gwen Stacy parody character, but Chris Hastings just decided to make her some completely unrelated Gwen. She's an isekai protagonist who is a huge Marvel fan and that's essentially her power (well, there's something else but you gotta read it to find out). What I like about Gwen's meta knowledge is that it's key to her plot and character arc, and she can actually make use of this knowledge--contrast with Deadpool, who can't actually act on knowledge he appears to possess when making jokes; he may make jokes about Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy, for example, but functionally doesn't actually know Spidey's identity unless Peter reveals it to him.

Gwenpool is great, read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macaluso posted:

So because of all the Spiderverse discourse lately, I have discovered something, as I don't read comics. Apparently Gwenpool is not Gwen Stacy? It's just some other person named Gwen?

Hey comic nerds, is that true? And if that is true, I have another question: what the gently caress
Yeah, like everyone said -- she's not Gwen Stacy, her name is Gwendolyn Poole. She started off as just a variant cover; there was a month where a bunch of comics got a Gwen Stacy variant and Deadpool was one of them. The cover was insanely popular and people started cosplaying as it and making fan art and stuff, so Marvel was like "...huh, okay" and made Gwenpool an actual character.

Her gimmick is that she's from our world, she's a Marvel fan (but, ironically, doesn't like Deadpool very much), and when she got isekai'd into the Marvel universe she decided to become a superhero and went to a costume shop and told them her name was Gwen Poole, so... they made her a Gwenpool costume.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Deadpool - Mutant, has frequent delusions that he is in a comic book
Gwenpool - Human, knows for a fact she's in a comic, but mostly still wants to be good to people
Howard the Duck - Duck-person. Knows he lives in real-reality, and is sick of all the junk that happens around him

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Gwenpool is one of those characters who works so well in that specific story that I kind of dread her showing up anywhere outside of it

In that sense, she is the anti-Howard the Duck, who I am always pleased to see

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is perhaps the most passionate I've ever heard an actor talk about something Marvel. And it's not even related to what he plays. He must actually be a big fan of Marvel stuff.

https://twitter.com/ScreenArk/status/1674781520287129603

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Pages late to this, but if Lex Luthor is indeed too unrealistically impressive to be a powerful billionaire in 2023— then that in itself sounds like the basis of an interesting story. Lex really is better than the other billionaires: he really is a genius, really is a master manipulator. He actually did acquire his wealth through cunning and skill, somehow.

And because of that he begins to be seen as a paragon: it is possible for humanity to be better than the embarrassing failures of the TechBros, because we can be as amazing as Lex Luthor. He begins to be seen as a legitimate hero.

Then Superman arrives.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

X-O posted:

This is perhaps the most passionate I've ever heard an actor talk about something Marvel. And it's not even related to what he plays. He must actually be a big fan of Marvel stuff.

I mean, playing a shape-shifting character makes his recasting into another role either likely or extremely unlikely but he has such an amazing voice, it'd rule if he was Doom with his face masked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's a shame they made his real face Talos' human disguise now or he could have easily pivoted.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is a certain lack of cynicism built into the DC mythos (not the movies but the comics and the characters themselves) to allow for an internal logic that a someone can by a highly successful AND smart business man without being a complete failure. If you are going to treat a character like Superman as a paragon of an ideal you might as well do the same with Luthor without having a real world analogy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

I'm gonna need a Talos/Ms. Marvel Disney+ show now, please. Just to watch Ben Mendelsohn and Iman Vellani just going nuts on the press tour.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's a shame they made his real face Talos' human disguise now or he could have easily pivoted.

a young doom tries to use skrull DNA to fix his disfigured face and ends up turning into Ben mendelsohn

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/Powerkeni/status/1674853550567088128?s=20

Incredibly cool spiderverse test animation that hints a bit at developments in the sequel. Shame it didn't make it to the film. Probably oughta spoil but seriously its cool and set to a great mos def song.

Spiderverse ending stuff below:
At least in this character exploration back when the film was just one film, alternate Miles was absolutely a rebel fighter against the sinister six along with his uncle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

https://twitter.com/Powerkeni/status/1674853550567088128?s=20

Incredibly cool spiderverse test animation that hints a bit at developments in the sequel. Shame it didn't make it to the film. Probably oughta spoil but seriously its cool and set to a great mos def song.

At least in this character exploration back when the film was just one film, alternate Miles was absolutely a rebel fighter against the sinister six along with his uncle.

Oh man. It just occurred to me that if a dude showed up who looked exactly like you in a Spider-Man verse you'd probably assume you were being attacked by the loving Chameleon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ImpAtom posted:

Oh man. It just occurred to me that if a dude showed up who looked exactly like you in a Spider-Man verse you'd probably assume you were being attacked by the loving Chameleon.

If you're a Spider-person I think the most likely possibility would be that it's a clone

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sharkopath posted:

The art book for ATSV is starting to filter out and there’s concept art for Miles-42. The text describes him as a vigilante, so this is definitely the way they’re going.

The animation on that is gorgeous though, and I really hope we see it in some form.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Nimona

The leads are charming, the story ultimately sweet, the setting felt fresher than most, and I adored the art style. I very rarely bother with animated stuff (hell, it’s probably fair to say I hate the look of 95% of animated films/shows of the last 30 years and avoid them like the plague) so your mileage may vary but I really dug it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I guess BTSV is definitely getting delayed, then:

https://comicbookmovie.com/spider_m...have-to-a204131

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Finally saw spider-verse. It was good except the cliffhanger ending.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/mukumuks/status/1675140714374762496?t=UNBbnkw8jz9by0Vu9pUrMQ&s=19

This is a pretty clever easter egg.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 3, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It is nice.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I would just like to get one last kick in on The Flash, which fell to 8th in this, the third weekend of its release. It's going to limp across $100M because it's already sitting at $99M and change, but it genuinely may not get to 110.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
They should’ve listened to me and shelved it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lmao that they cancelled Batgirl because it had Keaton Batman in it and they wanted to save the surprise for The Flash and it didn't matter at all, meanwhile Batgirl would have at least made money because they didn't waste 5 years of delays and 300 million dollars on it

https://ew.com/movies/batgirl-michael-keaton-batman-photo/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joe Fisto posted:

You can’t expect one of the 36 thousand nypd cops to review a video in a high profile case quickly now. That one cop had homeless people to harass.

I feel dirty clarifying for the NYPD but Major's team didn't hand the tape over until last week.

Major's version of the story was that she got drunk, broke into his house and blacked out in his closet where she sustained her injuries. She then woke up and attacked him when he entered his bedroom.

Which means; he has video cameras in the bedroom, they're hidden enough that a women he was dating for several months didn't know about them and instead immediately showing the videos to the cops his team needed time to scrub and review his exposure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Assepoester posted:

lmao that they cancelled Batgirl because it had Keaton Batman in it and they wanted to save the surprise for The Flash and it didn't matter at all, meanwhile Batgirl would have at least made money because they didn't waste 5 years of delays and 300 million dollars on it

https://ew.com/movies/batgirl-michael-keaton-batman-photo/

I doubt that. Though it definitely would have lost them a lot less money :v:
iirc it was always going to be HBO Max only, not in theaters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I doubt that. Though it definitely would have lost them a lot less money :v:
iirc it was always going to be HBO Max only, not in theaters.

The breaking point was it would've cost probably $40-50M to do reshoots and upgrade the FX to what they want for theatrical (never mind Deadpool made a billion dollars on a similar budget to Batgirl). Meaning an identical domestic run would've broken even.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Breaking even is better than The Flash is doing, it would be coming off of the success of The Batman instead of the failure of Black Adam and Shazam 2, the writers strike was not yet a thing so Grace and Keaton could have done the usual talk show promotional tours, and on top of all that there's all the merchandising money to be made off of Batgirl.

Meanwhile The Flash merchandising is undermined by Miller's crimes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I feel dirty clarifying for the NYPD but Major's team didn't hand the tape over until last week.

Major's version of the story was that she got drunk, broke into his house and blacked out in his closet where she sustained her injuries. She then woke up and attacked him when he entered his bedroom.

Which means; he has video cameras in the bedroom, they're hidden enough that a women he was dating for several months didn't know about them and instead immediately showing the videos to the cops his team needed time to scrub and review his exposure.

That is what he said happened after. They left each other.

Before that, he said that she attacked him first in the uber over his phone, he grabbed her hand and pushed her away in self-defense, then got out of the uber and left her.

I'm guessing the video they are referring to is video from the uber driver.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. Strange apparently appearing in an MCU movie being released in 2024 or 2025.

That could technically be any of:

- Deadpool 3
- Captain America: Brave New World
- Thunderbolts
- Blade
- Fantastic Four

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1676428519625162754

Seems like an extended cameo in Deadpool 3 is the most likely? An extended Dr. Strange presence doesn't really fit the other movies except maybe Blade (but, they probably aren't going full magic and Dracula in the intro Blade movie)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 5, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool or Blade seem most likely to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Forget strange, when is the Wongers/Madisynn power couple coming back

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool apparently has cameos out the rear end so that would be a good bet

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If Deadpool/Wolverine are becoming part of the MCU then Stange showing up would track

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Endless Mike posted:

Deadpool or Blade seem most likely to me

I hope it's Blade. Then we just need whoever in the Marvel universe is closest to THE ALCHEMIST and we'll have an MCU Order Of The Triad

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope it's Blade. Then we just need whoever in the Marvel universe is closest to THE ALCHEMIST and we'll have an MCU Order Of The Triad

Dr Druid?

And I always imagined Gwenpool being an animated show, that way she can have adventures with everyone, without worrying about casting them for mcu stuff.

The only change is they can make her ace and and Jeff the land shark are part of it from the start.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Deadpool makes sense, but I'm reading that news as "...next year, Cumberbatch will film scenes for a new Marvel movie" and Deadpool is filming now for a release in May next year. I think that puts things at the bottom of that list, probably Fantastic Four. If Strange is off dealing with incursions, that could easily tie into FF. Or hell, even if the release date is 2026, I could believe that they'd start filming The Kang Dynasty next year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For all we know it might just be one of the end credit teasers, not an actual role in the film

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Unless there is a weird surge in ticket sales in the next week, The Flash is tracking to lose more than $200 million for WB/Discovery.

It is also being removed from roughly 1,000 theaters next week to make room for Mission Impossible, so that seems unlikely.

https://twitter.com/OneTakeNews/status/1676549560422858752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol they chose a great picture for that