Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also Kino and Severin just started their own sales, and Vinegar Syndrome is announcing 21 new titles in 6.5 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Picked up Lost Highway and Baron Munchausen on 4K. Probably gonna grab For All Mankind at some point.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Pro BN.com tip: searching for "essential jacques demy criterion" returns nothing. But if you just search for "essential jacques demy", you'll find it (and 50% off).

Also worth noting that Criterion finally replaced the dual format version with a Blu-only one if one wants to free up shelf space. There's also a reprint of Red River in a plain case without the book making its debut this sale.

Picked up a few on my way home yesterday: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen 4K (never got it on DVD or Blu despite loving it!), Wings of Desire 4K (haven't seen before), and Targets.

Didn't buy it, but the Pasolini 101 box set looks quite lovely. Nice and compact, more like the Varda box or Shout's Herzog set in size.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw that someone uploaded Koyaanisqatsi to YouTube in decent quality, so I’ll probably skip buying it during this sale.

I can get watching film noirs and such on on YouTube, but Koyaanisqatsi is one of the definitive visual experiences - not sure you'll be getting the full effect in "decent" quality.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I can get watching film noirs and such on on YouTube, but Koyaanisqatsi is one of the definitive visual experiences - not sure you'll be getting the full effect in "decent" quality.

I want any ron fricke on uhd, doesn't matter which

Picked up seventh seal, will grab time bandits, branded to kill, and breathless later in the sale. I'm jazzed we're three years into uhd releases and nothing has become unavailable yet, takes the pressure off

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I want any ron fricke on uhd, doesn't matter which

Picked up seventh seal, will grab time bandits, branded to kill, and breathless later in the sale. I'm jazzed we're three years into uhd releases and nothing has become unavailable yet, takes the pressure off

It's been rumored Arrow has Baraka and Samsara.

Criterion must have some excellent legal people as they've probably had the least amount of Blu-ray releases go OOP than any other boutique...

StudioCanal titles due to Lionsgate exclusivity agreement (2012?)

The Third Man
The Man Who Fell to Earth - recently a UHD/Blu combo Best Buy steelbook exclusive by Lionsgate
Army of Shadows - since been reprinted by Criterion
Le cercle rouge - since been reissued by Criterion as UHD/Blu Combo
Last Year at Marienbad - reissued by Kino Lorber from newer restoration
Leon Morin, Priest - reissued by Kino Lorber from newer restoration
Playtime - reissued as part of The Complete Jacques Tati
Pierrot le fou - reprinted by Criterion a few years ago
(Note: Many of the DVD-only StudioCanal licenses got their first US Blu-ray from Kino Lorber such as Bob le flambeur, Le doulos, Port of Shadows, Touchez pas au grisbi, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and Quai des orfveres)

Paramount titles (no reason ever given, immediately got self-released editions):

Nashville - Paramount Presents with newer master
Harold and Maude - Paramount Presents with newer master
Rosemary's Baby - bare-bones, but getting UHD in September
Don't Look Now - bare-bones, but got UK UHD last year
Days of Heaven - bare-bones
La dolce vita - bare-bones, but still included in Essential Fellini. Paramount Blu adds exclusive English dub

Others:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Technically was a Paramount release from the start, just with Criterion branding.
Chunking Express - Handful of Miramax licenses expired, reissued in World of Wong Kar Wai box set
The Confession - No idea, seems like Costa-Gavras has been working on new restorations of his films
Howards End - Merchant-Ivory catalog purchased by Cohen Media, who released a superior Blu-ray
Gray's Anatomy/And Everything Is Going Fine - Steven Soderbergh releasing a box set of his films including these, as well as Schizopolis, Kafka, Bubble, and others.

There's also most of the dual format releases now extant as separate Blu-ray and DVD editions, as well as some titles like The 400 Blows and The Night of the Hunter given a second pressing in a plain case.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 1, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ah, good, a thread specifically for me to bemoan the lack of Sidney Lumet releases. Why is the only Network BD release one with a terrible cover. Where is my Network Criterion Collection release. Serpico! Dog Day Afternoon! I love 12 Angry Men but step it up!! :argh:

Between me and my partner we picked up Crumb, House, Fire Walk With Me, Multiple Maniacs, In The Mood For Love 4K, Mulholland Drive, Do The Right Thing, and the Bruce Lee collection this sale. I'm giving myself a few paychecks before I buy them the Godzilla collection (and custom display cases) as a Christmas gift. Still several releases I very much want to get but it'll take a while.

As for Kojima, c'mon buddy slide in a copy of Drive into that closet just for me.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ughhhh my local B&N doesn't have any of the box sets I want (Varda, Tati, and Demy) in stock right now :negative:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ah, good, a thread specifically for me to bemoan the lack of Sidney Lumet releases. Why is the only Network BD release one with a terrible cover. Where is my Network Criterion Collection release. Serpico! Dog Day Afternoon! I love 12 Angry Men but step it up!! :argh:

Between me and my partner we picked up Crumb, House, Fire Walk With Me, Multiple Maniacs, In The Mood For Love 4K, Mulholland Drive, Do The Right Thing, and the Bruce Lee collection this sale. I'm giving myself a few paychecks before I buy them the Godzilla collection (and custom display cases) as a Christmas gift. Still several releases I very much want to get but it'll take a while.

As for Kojima, c'mon buddy slide in a copy of Drive into that closet just for me.

Criterion has 12 Angry Men, The Fugitive Kind, and Fail-Safe. They've hinted at Dog Day Afternoon and I'd put money on Network being a likely title, if not from Warner directly.

Kino Lorber just did a UHD/Blu of Serpico from a brand new 4K master and pretty stacked with extras, as well as a UHD-only 12 Angry Men. They're also putting out a Blu of The Anderson Tapes and a UHD of Murder on the Orient Express soon.

Olive Films put out Long Day's Journey Into Night, The Pawnbroker, Child's Play,

Warner Archive put out Stage Struck and The Hill on DVD, Blus of Deathtrap and Prince of the City.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'd like a new transfer of The Verdict. I think the blu ray was an old scan already

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Got Three Colors set, After Hours, Seventh Seal, and The Trial (all 4K).

This is not the weekend I wanted to hurt my wallet

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I'd like a new transfer of The Verdict. I think the blu ray was an old scan already

It's Fox, so don't hold your breath unless Disney changes their licensing.

It's ironic how Alan Arkin passed away on the day Indicator had to stop selling his directorial debut Little Murders because Disney won't re-license or license their catalog anymore (except for a bullshit reprint deal with Mill Creek and a few holdouts with Criterion).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think I'm gonna go hard on old white guy movies this sale

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion has 12 Angry Men, The Fugitive Kind, and Fail-Safe. They've hinted at Dog Day Afternoon and I'd put money on Network being a likely title, if not from Warner directly.

Kino Lorber just did a UHD/Blu of Serpico from a brand new 4K master and pretty stacked with extras, as well as a UHD-only 12 Angry Men. They're also putting out a Blu of The Anderson Tapes and a UHD of Murder on the Orient Express soon.

Olive Films put out Long Day's Journey Into Night, The Pawnbroker, Child's Play,

Warner Archive put out Stage Struck and The Hill on DVD, Blus of Deathtrap and Prince of the City.

And don't forget Shout Select's Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, which is absolutely fantastic as a movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Very much appreciate the recommendations! I'll still hold out hope for a good Network special edition or Criterion release some day but it's nice to know they've at least hinted at Dog Day Afternoon in the past, and that movie at least has what seems to be a good anniversary edition out. I actually have the 12 Angry Men KL 4K in the mail.

Sliding over from the physical release thread, I think other than Network my dream Criterion releases would be Bound, Interstella 5555 (possibly with Electroma as well), a Satoshi Kon collection (or at least Paprika), Wild Zero, Swiss Army Man, Oldboy, and the aforementioned Drive.

For Kon, I have the Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress steelbooks and the Gkids Tokyo Godfathers release but I'm surprised Paprika, being his most well-known film, doesn't have a particularly fancy release out, and I think his contributions in the world of animation as well as unique artistic vision would make for a really interesting addition to the collection. Interstella 5555 is one I'm surprised no major boutique label has jumped on, and one could argue it's a better fit for others, but I like the idea of it being Criterion just because it'll hopefully mean it goes out-of-print less and I do think it's a deeply influential film for a lot of people, myself included.

It's weird to me how comparatively few releases of any kind Bound has ever gotten, at least in my (admittedly limited) searches. You'd think being the Wachowskis' first film and a big queer landmark as well as just being a genuinely great film would have people chomping at the bit for it. Next Pride month Criterion should appeal to me directly by dropping Wild Zero and Bound. :colbert:

E: Also, thanks to this thread I watched The Life Aquatic on a whim yesterday. What an interesting film! I mainly knew it as "the movie iTunes said Here's To You was from even though it wasn't, that seemed to have bad reviews when I last looked it up". I'm glad I know it for more now. Thanks, Criterion Collection!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 2, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Release a Glengarry Glen Ross 4K you bastards

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bound would absolutely be a great choice for Criterion if they can do a UHD. The Olive Films "Signature" edition is worth seeking out, though, they decided to encode the theatrical and unrated cuts as separate files, so they're kind of anemic for compression. Does have most of the Arrow UK extras. It's owned by Paramount via the Melange Pictures library (Spelling Entertainment, Republic Pictures, all the bits and pieces that make up the old National Telefilm Associates catalog).

At this point, I'm happy as long as one of the prime boutiques gets a title so it can be handled properly.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Release a Glengarry Glen Ross 4K you bastards

Shout! Factory has it via the Westchester Films library, which they now own. Interesting package of films as it also includes Stagecoach and To Be or Not to Be (and other pre-60s classics), but it also includes the North American rights to John Cassevettes' self-produced films. They've worked with Criterion on some of these films, but also licensed a few to ClassicFlix.

(The titles Criterion has handled in the past like the Cassavettes and Stagecoach aren't in danger as Shout! Factory licensed Smithereens since their purchase)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory has it via the Westchester Films library,

Ah dammit it's from a new 4K scan but the release itself isn't UHD.

EDIT: Bought it anyway mother prolapsed oval office gently caress

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 2, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Good to know the Olive Films edition of Bound is the one I should look for while I wait in vain.

Oh, actually, one last one I desperately wish they would release - American Movie, with an actual transfer of Coven as an extra. From what I understand the existing BD is great but doesn't include Coven, and that documentary, man, it's something special. It'd go well with Crumb.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ah dammit it's from a new 4K scan but the release itself isn't UHD.

Shout has made some interesting choices for UHD. Obviously, anything horror and sci-fi is going to sell, but they've put out stuff like WarGames, The Last Detail, and Used Cars recently.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Good to know the Olive Films edition of Bound is the one I should look for while I wait in vain.

Oh, actually, one last one I desperately wish they would release - American Movie, with an actual transfer of Coven as an extra. From what I understand the existing BD is great but doesn't include Coven, and that documentary, man, it's something special. It'd go well with Crumb.

Just make sure it's the signature edition as the earlier Blu-ray is bare-bones and doesn't have a good encode.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It took 20 years to escape from DVD...so, I wouldn't get your hopes up. You can find a rip of coven from the dvd online if you can't find the oop DVD used so it's not the end of the world. You could even remux the new transfer and coven into your own custom.

I bought the sony pictures classic BD as soon as it dropped, I never thought it would even get that. I doubt sony will keep this thing in print either. As much as I hate buying blus now, if this is as good as it gets I'll do it. Did the same for Kids in the Hall Brain Candy, another one stuck on DVD for 20 years until recently.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Picked up the Three Colors set in 4K, will report back after I’ve watched them. Not sure if I’ll end up getting anything else, considering the Varda set too though. I’ve cut back on collecting quite a bit but I still appreciate box sets that let me explore a particular director/studio/genre/etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Picked up the Three Colors set in 4K, will report back after I’ve watched them. Not sure if I’ll end up getting anything else, considering the Varda set too though. I’ve cut back on collecting quite a bit but I still appreciate box sets that let me explore a particular director/studio/genre/etc.

I'd say Varda is possibly the greatest "big box" Criterion has released so far in terms of quality of the films and the overall content. Bergman was quite fun, but a lot of his early work is pretty forgettable and Varda never made anything as bad as The Touch. It also helps she's just so drat charming in every interview and her own documentaries.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well she's pretty good but the godzilla box set has godzilla in it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

well she's pretty good but the godzilla box set has godzilla in it

This poster gets it

Where’s my Heisei/VS set, you cowards :argh:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nice criterion channel ai set has black and white Johnny mnemonic

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sure thing

Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow are old staples for cult film by now, I feel like Arrow has good distribution (I've seen them at B&N) and a wide range of titles as well as excellent packaging, but the disc options and presentations can be mixed imo. I also almost universally prefer the original arts to the new stuff they commission for the cases, so thankfully they are usually reversible. VS has an exhaustive range of products of all different types, but are truly cult imo and not all that uniform in packaging. (from Arrow I recently picked up Robocop, Hellraiser, and the "Love + Anarchism" set, three films by Kiju Yoshida, I think Arrow's box sets are fantastic, overall I just kind of trust their quality).

Arrow movies have gone on 50% off sale at B&N during the Fall Criterion sale the last couple of years so it's also a good time to shop for them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love when boutique labels just casually slip a whole movie into the extras. I’m a big dummy who rarely ever reads what’s included in the bonuses, so it’s a nice little surprise when I go to rip a disc for Plex.

Tonight’s was Colorado Territory (1949) just hanging out in the High Sierra extras.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Watching Mister Freedom right now. I was just expecting a satire of American stupidity and imperialism, but this is way weirder than I could've imagined.

This really needs a proper blu-ray or 4k release instead of just being tossed into a DVD box set. Is it "good"? I have no idea, but it's fascinating.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Black and White Johnny Mnemonic is a way better movie.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Ordered the 4Ks of Blow Out and Malcolm X. Inspired by this thread, I also checked out Arrow's offerings and picked up the 4K of RoboCop. :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I highly recommend Buck and the Preacher to anyone who likes westerns or odd couple comedies. Blind bought it last week and it’s definitely one of my favorite Criterion purchases in a while.

Sidney Poitier is great as usual, but Harry Belafonte is just on a whole other level in this one.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Watching Mister Freedom right now. I was just expecting a satire of American stupidity and imperialism, but this is way weirder than I could've imagined.

This really needs a proper blu-ray or 4k release instead of just being tossed into a DVD box set. Is it "good"? I have no idea, but it's fascinating.

Its a fantastic movie

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

There's at least ten Eclipse sets I'd happily buy if they were updated to Blu-ray.

Good time as any to note which Eclipse sets HAVE had upgrades, at least in full or partial...

Early Bergman - All featured in Ingmar Bergman's Cinema except for Torment (only scripted by Bergman)
Raymond Bernard - Both Wooden Crosses and Les Miserables received Masters of Cinema UK Blu-rays from 4K restorations, though now OOP
Silent Ozu - I Was Born, But... featured extra on Good Morning
Larisa Shepitko - The Ascent received a solo Blu-ray
Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr - Putney Swope received a Blu from Vinegar Syndrome
Pearls of the Czech New Wave - Daises received a solo Blu-ray
Early Fassbinder - All titles among Arrow's UK sets
Agnes Varda in California - All contents within the complete Varda box set

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gimme some more goddamned Oshima in HD

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Brexit the Frog posted:

gimme some more goddamned Oshima in HD

Violence at Noon would look great in HD

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: See my post in SA Mart here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036145

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 9, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Selling sweet sweetback? For shame!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Working on an SA Mart thread for everything I'm selling, but if anyone wants some used Criterions for cheap, here's what I'm getting rid of..

Individual titles are $13 each (except for OOPs), plus whatever Media Mail costs within the US. I'll waive shipping if you're getting at least $50 worth of stuff.

Three Colors (Blu-ray) - $25
The Essential Jacques Demy (Dual Format) - $45
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (Blu-ray)
Anatomy of a Murder (Blu-ray)
Blow Out (Blu-ray)
Breathless (Blu-ray)
Le cercle rouge (OOP 2011 Blu-ray) - $20
Dazed and Confused (Blu-ray)
The Fisher King (Blu-ray)
It Happened One Night (Blu-ray)
Mildred Pierce (Blu-ray)
The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray) - $30
Teorema (Blu-ray)

Also, some Criterion-adjacent stuff:

Double Indemnity (Universal Limited Edition Blu-ray w slipcase/photo card) - $20 [Has exclusive commentary and 70s TV movie remake not on Criterion's editon]
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (Vinegar Syndrome OOP dual format, no slipcase) - $30
The Gospel According to Matthew (Masters of Cinema REGION B Dual Format) - $20

Sending a PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Selling sweet sweetback? For shame!

I have the Van Peebles box, so don't need two copies

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sending a PM

Awesome, thanks...