Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SlothBear posted:

Haha wait it doesn’t? I always assumed it would.

No, just learned the hard way you need to turn it off before you start your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I've done full runs in England, sub-Saharan Africa, and India, but nothing prepared me for a run as a Byzantine duke. This poo poo is byzantine. First run where an intrigue build has been almost a necessity.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
...Isn't it just a normal Feudal Inheritance, with "born in the purple" shenanigans? I started with a single county once and managed to get my grandkid on the throne legitimately while never being larger than a count. It involved a lot of stabbing, yes, but also the inheritance rules where pretty clear.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

fuf posted:

Loads of mods for older versions still work fine, it often just means the author hasn't explicitly updated to say it works with the latest version.

I guess not in this case though... I was hoping maybe someone had a workaround or fix.
Nope the whole reason there are compatibility patches for CFP + EPE etc is because they both mod the same files which can cause issues (eg clothing disappears) The "workaround" is the patch that hasn't been updated.

Plenty of mods work between versions but the caveat is that the mod is only affecting files that aren't updated. 1.9.x added a bunch of new things!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Serephina posted:

...Isn't it just a normal Feudal Inheritance, with "born in the purple" shenanigans? I started with a single county once and managed to get my grandkid on the throne legitimately while never being larger than a count. It involved a lot of stabbing, yes, but also the inheritance rules where pretty clear.

Yeah as far as I can tell there isn't much of a difference mechanic-wise, but there's a nationwide civil war at least once a decade so far, and people getting claims willy nilly from the patriarch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My latest playthrough fell apart again after the third heir. I keep going through the same cycle with this game where the first character usually manages to build a good base of at least one strong duchy with plans to grab the second, and after they die the heir sometimes manages to patch things back together, but by the third everything has fragmented so badly they're often in a worse state than the first character with perhaps a duchy with only a single county, and all the other counties are held by relatives so good luck getting anywhere without lots of murder or tyranny, and with everyone hating you because you're new and weak unless you have exceptional stats you won't survive either.

I've played in Ireland, England, France and Germany with both the early and later starts and each time it follows this same progression and it's getting boring, like the game is somehow both super complex but also on rails to the same destination no matter what sort of chaos might occur.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 27, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dick Trauma posted:

My latest playthrough fell apart again after the third heir. I keep going through the same cycle with this game where the first character usually manages to build a good base of at least one strong duchy with plans to grab the second, and after they die the heir sometimes manages to patch things back together, but by the third everything has fragmented so badly they're often in a worse state than the first character with perhaps a duchy with only a single county, and all the other counties are held by relatives so good luck getting anywhere without lots of murder or tyranny, and with everyone hating you because you're new and weak unless you have exceptional stats you won't survive either.

I've played in Ireland, England, France and Germany with both the early and later starts and each time it follows this same progression and it's getting boring, like the game is somehow both super complex but also on rails to the same destination no matter what sort of chaos might occur.

Is it worth trying somewhere completely different? You could go for that Mother Of all achievement in Hausaland in Africa or something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Partition is a bitch. You can combat this by expanding quickly, so when things are partitioned, you have so much that it doesn't matter. You can also work on pruning your heirs, either through trying to get them killed, or just disinheriting them if partition is this much of a struggle. Lastly, make sure you focus on building up your MaA. The primary heir always inherits your MaA, but your other heirs won't. This makes it easier for your primary heir to win things back after succession.

A trick is to set up your main duchy as elective succession. This only works if your culture allows it, but England usually has access to Saxon Elective, and the Scots and Irish have Tanistry Elective. There are other cultures that allow elections too like Scandinavian. The way this works is that if you hold every county inside the duchy, then you are the only one who gets to vote, so you can always vote for your heir and then they get every holding inside the duchy instead of it getting split off during succession.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Partition is a bitch. You can combat this by expanding quickly, so when things are partitioned, you have so much that it doesn't matter. You can also work on pruning your heirs, either through trying to get them killed, or just disinheriting them if partition is this much of a struggle. Lastly, make sure you focus on building up your MaA. The primary heir always inherits your MaA, but your other heirs won't. This makes it easier for your primary heir to win things back after succession.

A trick is to set up your main duchy as elective succession. This only works if your culture allows it, but England usually has access to Saxon Elective, and the Scots and Irish have Tanistry Elective. There are other cultures that allow elections too like Scandinavian. The way this works is that if you hold every county inside the duchy, then you are the only one who gets to vote, so you can always vote for your heir and then they get every holding inside the duchy instead of it getting split off during succession.

All this. There are a lot of ways to make early succession somewhat trivial, the disinherit function chief among them. It wasn’t around in CK2, and I actually never use it because of how easy it can make the game.

I tend to prune in other ways more often than expand: sending second sons to be educated by the pope (or even my own realm priest) and hope they get pensive trait so they’re more likely to accept becoming cloistered and thus disinherited, for example. Spending prestige on elective succession law changes to get a sort of pseudo primogeniture going is also a trivial thing because there was no “feudal elective” available to everyone else who wasn’t British or Scandinavian (or Czech) in CK2.

Hell lately I’ve been having situations where I’m just praying for a son because my early game character keeps having daughters.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've done full runs in England, sub-Saharan Africa, and India, but nothing prepared me for a run as a Byzantine duke. This poo poo is byzantine. First run where an intrigue build has been almost a necessity.

what's up byzantine duke buddy (started 867 in naples and immediately swore fealty because i was an orthodox counter surrounded by catholics and muslims)

im in year 1215 and i dont think a basileus has lasted more than ten years

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ELTON JOHN posted:

what's up byzantine duke buddy (started 867 in naples and immediately swore fealty because i was an orthodox counter surrounded by catholics and muslims)

im in year 1215 and i dont think a basileus has lasted more than ten years

Also a good reason to never ally with the Byzantines. I did that a couple times and I just spend my whole time defending them against factions. Although it's good if you want to rack up a lot of prestige.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
since i'm in naples, i think i've only gotten sieged by the eternal civil strife once or twice. being in the middle of the thunderdome would be a lot worse. also i never join rebellions against the basileus

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dick Trauma posted:

i've made sure to amass a big enough treasury by the time i get near death so that my heir can immediately do a royal tour or tournament as soon as they take power, which will help chill some vassals out. of course i havent had more than a few counts and a mayor or two as vassals in this run so that probably helps

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I was actually humbled a bit by the game earlier, tried to start as a small, independent zero-year old queen in Iberia and perhaps unsurprisingly got constantly bullied for land. Note to self: when starting as a small, non-tribal ruler in a hostile area, it's better to be a vassal until you can build up a bit. I tried the exact same character, but as a duchy in Asturias, and had a much easier time.

On a side note starting as a 0 year old ruler is a great way to get all the genetic traits you need to immediately take Strong Blood while staying within the 400 point achievement limit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dick Trauma posted:

The partition system is indeed the main brake on runaway success, managing it is key to playing the game everywhere.

The big thing I'd say is don't be afraid of a little tyranny. It does decay, and eating 20 tyranny to regain a valuable county is absolutely worthwhile, and if it starts a little civil war that just gives you more opportunities to enrich yourself (assuming you can win of course).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just heard tell about console cheats at work. Do they exist, and what are they?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tias posted:

I just heard tell about console cheats at work. Do they exist, and what are they?

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tias posted:

Yes. Or, rather, what you have is the debug mode, which gives you access to a whole bunch of debug info (obviously) and some quick-access world modification tools, but also a console where you can just directly feed the game the scripting code that runs under the bonnet.

It obviously invalidates ironman mode and achievements and all that… (unless you toggle its availability flag directly in memory via CheatEngine or something similar).

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands#Debug_mode

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tias posted:

i wish my co-workers played crusader kings

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, reforming your faith early trying to get to feudalism is really really bad if you're a long ways from 70% innovations needed :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Going to try a fresh run and try to manage my heirs more actively.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

smarxist posted:

Oh, reforming your faith early trying to get to feudalism is really really bad if you're a long ways from 70% innovations needed :negative:

Is it? As long as you're tribal you can still raid, which is usually the biggest plus of being tribal or unreformed. I'm not sure what the downside is to reforming your faith early. If anything I like to do it so I can shape the religion the way I want it. Plus it spreads faster and is more resistant to conversion of organized faiths.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Mostly that literally everyone around me finds me evil for being a different faith so finding alliances for my heirs is basically out

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My first character has somehow already got 4 sons, and his heir spontaneously developed the Pensive trait! If he turns out to be lackluster perhaps I can get him out of the way in favor of the next one in line.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Well just bear in mind there’s a pretty heavy penalty for convincing them to cloister if they’re first in line. Thought the Zealous trait is another big point in favor of them acquiescing.

If holy orders have been founded, sending him off to fight with them is an alternative to becoming a monk that also disinherits them for life. Requires a military education and again Zealous trait is a big point in favor of them accepting.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Any tips for becoming the emperor of the HRE not being a German? I'm going for the count to emperor achievement, but I turned off custom empires, so I have to take over an existing one or a de jure one. If it's basically impossible my backup plan is to just form the Italian empire.

I formed the kingdom of Burgundy (shouldn't it be Arles in the 1066 start?) as a French member of the HRE and then diverged my culture to be specifically Burgundian when I became king. I've got all of de jure Burgundy and most of de jure Italy and I'm pretty sure I'm the strongest in the HRE military wise. In CK2 I would always just become the emperor because of positive character traits but that doesn't seem to hold as much weight in CK3.

I have been hosting a ton of feasts, hunts, weddings, etc. and have been going to every feast I've been invited to.

Edit: Also I love the names of the merged cultures in this game. I saw the computer form the Franco-Franconian culture which really made me laugh.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 29, 2023

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
For the HRE, you need to go to the title election screen to see who the specific Prince-Electors are. You can see why they aren't voting for you, and why they are voting for their choice. You can try to sway them to your side, use hooks to force their vote, or assassinate a popular competitor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You can do it the old fashioned way too, find someone with a claim, marry your kid to them, and then start a claimant war to win the title.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My current King of Ireland has three daughters but then a boy finally arrives.

TWO boys. Twins. So I'm back to the problem of trying to hold my little kingdom together when my King dies. I have the archbishop school boy #2 and put him on the Learning path. Around 12 I'm able to convince him to take the vows!

And then boy #1 gets leprosy, a botched treatment and dies.

EDIT: Instead of the kingdom originally being split two ways with boy #2 getting one duchy and its counties it will now be split five ways among the eldest daughter, her sisters and their mother.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 30, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also on a king of Ireland run, and I gotta say this child-planning business is hard!

At least when I was norse, my heirs kinda toughened up on their own, but now every heir I have is either a one-eyed 40 yr old drunkard or a minor :f5:

What do you guys do to raise good heirs?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

TWO boys. Twins. So I'm back to the problem of trying to hold my little kingdom together when my King dies. I have the archbishop school boy #2 and put him on the Learning path. Around 12 I'm able to convince him to take the vows!

EDIT: Instead of the kingdom originally being split two ways with boy #2 getting one duchy and its counties it will now be split five ways among the eldest daughter, her sisters and their mother.

Wait, who's their mother and why does she stand to inherit too?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I read the succession screen incorrectly. One daughter is a queen through marriage and has the same name as the mother.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Tias posted:

Also on a king of Ireland run, and I gotta say this child-planning business is hard!

At least when I was norse, my heirs kinda toughened up on their own, but now every heir I have is either a one-eyed 40 yr old drunkard or a minor :f5:

I've been waiting to marry my primary and secondary heirs until they are about 30 or 35 years old in my most recent games and not landing them at all. If I land them, they do whatever and if I marry them when they are 16, I end up with 10 great-great-grandchildren and it's a pain to manage.

I think the court tutor gives a bonus to learning outcomes and there is a dynasty perk that gives a bonus to educational outcomes. I don't usually tutor my children myself though, I let the courtier with the best lifestyle that my heir is being tutored in.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope your oldest daughter is matrilineally married.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tias posted:

Day 1 before unpausing I take a look at all my unmarried courtiers, and use them to either marry to get good councilor stats, or high prowess knights. I always make sure at least 1 or two of the courtiers I'm bringing in for marriage are quick/intelligent/genius, which are turned into the court tutor, and also educators for my kids. Ideally they also have one or more of gregarious/brave/diligent/just/temperate/lustful, since those tend to be the most useful traits IMO. Bring them in asap, make them raise your kids if you're not any good at it, and it usually works out well enough. Sometimes you do end up with the shy+paranoid reject heir, but that just means that you can quickly max out stress when you're ready to die and hand off rule to your next heir.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

A scenario that I wish had better choices or outcomes:

My castle gets sacked during a war and one of the nobles steals my wife as a concubine. We get an automatic divorce because of it. We’re soulmates so there’s no way I’m not going to get her back.

I start a murder plot because that’s the only option available to me. It succeeds but my involvement is found out. I invite her back to my court and we get remarried.

Objectively, I should not have a -10 for being a murderer from my wife who I just rescued from forced concubinage. If anyone wasn’t going to hate me for it, it would be her.

I wish there was like…a rescue mission intrigue plot or something. Or at least some flavor text that I just bodied a guy for her.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's great advice :aaa: Thanks!

E: I obviously refer to binge crotchings advice, not the night of the wrong wives poo poo above

quote:

Bring them in asap, make them raise your kids if you're not any good at it, and it usually works out well enough.

I just had my knight marry a Spanish lady with quick and sky-high stew/learning, but I can't select her for tutor, as she's not on the list. What gives?

E: NM, she hadn't arrived yet :) Thanks again!

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 2, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

binge crotching posted:

Sometimes you do end up with the shy+paranoid reject heir, but that just means that you can quickly max out stress when you're ready to die and hand off rule to your next heir.

I did many heinous things in this game, but I haven't ever willingly killed off a character by overstressing them.

Time to do it :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I bloody tried suicide, first off my queen made the sad doe eyes and talked me back, and the second time a guard pulled me off the ledge of the battlement. I had another 4 years of being a bitter idiot in me before finally having a heart attack :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

A scenario that I wish had better choices or outcomes:

My castle gets sacked during a war and one of the nobles steals my wife as a concubine. We get an automatic divorce because of it. We’re soulmates so there’s no way I’m not going to get her back.

I start a murder plot because that’s the only option available to me. It succeeds but my involvement is found out. I invite her back to my court and we get remarried.

Objectively, I should not have a -10 for being a murderer from my wife who I just rescued from forced concubinage. If anyone wasn’t going to hate me for it, it would be her.

I wish there was like…a rescue mission intrigue plot or something. Or at least some flavor text that I just bodied a guy for her.

There is a way to kidnap people through the schemer intrigue tree. That probably would’ve worked.