Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If they want some voice actors with crazy range, they should rope in Frank Welker and Charles Martinet.

Welker's probably out of their price range. Also he's semi-retired so he only lets himself be scheduled three days a week these days so he can spend the rest of the week enjoying the benefits of being a voice acting god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Like, Richard Epcar can play things other than bombastic himbos and clueless goons, but no one ever asks him to.
He defaults into his Myotismon/"Ansem" voice most of the time, which is fine because that voice loving rules.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bravesword posted:

They keep casting her to play kids and teenagers and she just can’t. She’s absolutely fine playing adults — I loved her in Cowboy Bebop and Megas XLR (which probably dates me), but every time the direction calls for innocent or cutesy it just sounds so affected from her.

This reminded me of the one Xenosaga VA I didn't immediately identify in subsequent anime or games. Lee was Yui in Fushigi Yuugi and the main character, Miaka, was voiced by Bridget Hoffman. That woman has some talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irEbTOkUI4w&t=636s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3QVsz5H-q4&t=127s

And I should mention Amanda Winn-Lee as someone with amazing range. She's been in so many Atlus games since P2EP in 2000 and always mixes it up. Ulala, Argilla, Yukiko - all sound pretty different to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Wrong person.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The va for jeri in Digimon Tamers is the same as the voice of Lain from Serial Experiments Lain. This is the only time ive realized a va was the same

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

The va for jeri in Digimon Tamers is the same as the voice of Lain from Serial Experiments Lain. This is the only time ive realized a va was the same

Did they do this purposefully since the same guy made both

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do accents count for different voices from the same guy? Yuri Lowenthal's fake British accent isn't perfect and you can still tell that it's him but he uses it well in Odin Sphere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Did they do this purposefully since the same guy made both

Probably not, funimation wasnt involved with tamers. But itd be funny if so, lain and jeri are similar characters in a lot of ways

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think it was probably they did auditions for a depressed girl with reality warping power and she just happened to be good at that

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Matt Mercer's Kanji and Yusuke sound pretty different IMO.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

And I wouldn't have pegged either for having the same VA as Ganondorf if I didn't already know beforehand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing through Persona 5 Royal for the first time, and stupid question but how do you give a skill card to one of your personas? I dont see the skill card I want to use in my inventory, but I know I got it from the execution mechanic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I said come in! posted:

Playing through Persona 5 Royal for the first time, and stupid question but how do you give a skill card to one of your personas? I dont see the skill card I want to use in my inventory, but I know I got it from the execution mechanic.

Might seem obvious troubleshooting but:

1. Have you unlocked Yusuke's confidant
2. Did you give that skill card to Yusuke to duplicate and not take it back from him

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Go to your items and then click the switch categories or whatever until it's skill cards, then you just find the one and click a/x/whatever and choose the Persona. Hopefully that's enough info over text to help you. It hung me up the first time too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Matt Mercer sounds pretty different in a ton of his roles

But weirdly there are a bunch of other VAs I always think are him. No idea why but it's super consistent that I'll hear someone that I think is him, look it up and it's actually someone completely different

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

But weirdly there are a bunch of other VAs I always think are him. No idea why but it's super consistent that I'll hear someone that I think is him, look it up and it's actually someone completely different

Amusingly for a time he was often cast as essentially Big Lots Troy Baker when you couldn't get Baker himself but I believe Mercer has gotten away from that, even before becoming a D&D kingpin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, Cassidy in Overwatch was probably the first real time I went 'okay yeah he's got range'.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've always been very curious about the oft-repeated claim online that, after Last of Us, Troy Baker was 'too big" for Atlus and that's why Mercer took over as Kanji.

Mercer is, as far as I know, a pretty big name himself. Yet he's still in anime like One Piece. Mayb ehe's just a nice guy and workaholic and will work for peanuts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always been very curious about the oft-repeated claim online that, after Last of Us, Troy Baker was 'too big" for Atlus and that's why Mercer took over as Kanji.

Nah, it was a union thing. Atlas didn't want to pay the extra.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baker came back for Catherine: Full Body, too, so one of them was willing to meet the other halfway at some point.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
There's a video where troy baker clarified that his honeymoon in 2012 interfered with recording. Matt Mercer has been the English voice actor ever since. I'm not an expert but I think all of the dates line up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

miasmacloud posted:

There's a video where troy baker clarified that his honeymoon in 2012 interfered with recording. Matt Mercer has been the English voice actor ever since. I'm not an expert but I think all of the dates line up.

So, it's actually slightly complicated IIRC. Baker wasn't able to return for the back half of the P4 anime due to his honeymoon, which Mercer took over for, but Baker was still in Golden and the original Arena which both came out in 2012. Mercer didn't properly take over for Baker until Ultimax. I think I got that right.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
Right, but look at the release dates of these things, and subtract a few months off for when recording likely happened.

Original VA

Persona 4
JP: July 10, 2008
NA: December 9, 2008

Persona 4 Arena
JP: July 26, 2012
NA: August 7, 2012

Persona 4 Anime
U.S. Retail Episodes 1-12 - September 18, 2012

Persona 4 Golden
JP: June 14, 2012
NA: November 20, 2012

VA gets replaced starting from here on

Persona 4 Anime
U.S. Retail Episodes 13-26 - January 15, 2013

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
JP: August 28, 2014
NA: September 30, 2014

Persona Q
JP: June 5, 2014
NA: November 25, 2014

Persona 4 Dancing
JP: June 25, 2015
NA: September 29, 2015

I don't know much about Troy Baker's personal life, but if his honeymoon was in the 2nd half of 2012, then I don't see any reason to doubt what he said and make up something about him being "too big to return" or "pay dispute".

Edit: How could I forget about the dancing game. :v:

miasmacloud fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 30, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ApplesandOranges posted:

Of course you get the people who just have staggering ranges like Cherami Leigh.

It really does blow me away that the same person voiced Makoto, V from Cyberpunk, and Manon from Street Fighter

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It really does blow me away that the same person voiced Makoto, V from Cyberpunk, and Manon from Street Fighter

Also Mae and Rhea from Fire Emblem.

Also re: Mercer, people are also forgetting that he's a gigantic nerd. If he likes a character he'll probably be happy to voice them or keep voicing them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fairy Tail is a bit of a meme in the anime community, lowbrow trash to many, but it has a pretty dedicated fanbase and I feel safe saying much of that is due to the characters and their voices. Cherami Leigh voices one of the main characters in FT and I've been a mega fan of her ever since.

It's kinda why I was so let down by Makoto, to be honest. I was so hyped for the fan favorite character to be voiced by one of my all time favorite VAs. But whatcha gonna do. I guess what I should do is try Cyberpunk and play as the female PC.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Makoto feels like a weirdly divisive character to me; she ranks very well popularity wise if I recall right (even higher than Ann who's obvious fanservice). She does nothing for me as a character though. People either love her or are just lukewarm on her; I don't think anyone outright dislikes her.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Makoto is just Mitsuru but poor

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Makoto is cool because her persona is a motorbike and she punches shadows.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

This, also the all-out attack cut in.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Makoto is great because she is so judgmental of doofus squad but then joins in on all the antics anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Also we can go see hyper violent yakuza movies together.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Makoto is Chie if she was smart (and could ride a motorbike)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Alas, most of Chie's brain space is taken up by thoughts of delicious meat dishes

Though she can ride a scooter which is close

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Makato breaks P5s internal logic because wanting to be a cop is a huge palace haver move so she shouldn't even be able to be a party member.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Alas, most of Chie's brain space is taken up by thoughts of delicious meat dishes

Skip to the Final Fight sequel with Makoto, Chie and Akihiko realizing the police will never help them and they can only trust their fists.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

To be fair, meat is more useful to me in real life than math.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Makato breaks P5s internal logic because wanting to be a cop is a huge palace haver move so she shouldn't even be able to be a party member.

On the other hand, Zenkichi is rad and cool (and gets dunked on).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Persona 4 is... A good game?!

Can't believe I was a hater. Marie still sucks tho

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Marie has a very good Rank 9 and I like her theme, but yeah her gimmick wore off very quickly for me the last playthrough.

It's easy to dunk on a lot of parts for P4 but it's still a great experience and thankfully the skip button exists now for whenever Yosuke/Teddie get really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

Skip to the Final Fight sequel with Makoto, Chie and Akihiko realizing the police will never help them and they can only trust their fists.

But what about Katsuya?