Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Grey Cat posted:

Do we know more of the weapon addition moves yet?
I'm mostly wondering if staff warrior is going to be a full support or not.

seeing as how the new weapons are 8 months out, not yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ApeHawk posted:

seeing as how the new weapons are 8 months out, not yet

I saw that some of the info is viewable for some of the new skills, just wasn't sure how extensive it was.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I think the stuff in the current beta is solely what you can access with the Use Any Weapon In Any Spec change: the other changes aren't going to be previewed until q4 2023 or later.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Grey Cat posted:

I saw that some of the info is viewable for some of the new skills, just wasn't sure how extensive it was.

New skills that are previewable are the ones you'll get from elite spec weapons no longer being locked to only elite specs and how the class mechanics will be expanded with having access to those weapons. Not the new weapons they will be getting in a later release of the expac.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Devs confirmed that legendary rune havers will be compensated under the new relic system

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/132493-will-relics-invalidate-legendary-runes/page/5/#comment-1924790 posted:

Hey all, I want to give you a quick response on this since it's of interest to so many of you! We're working on some more in-depth information to share with you, but in the meantime I can let you know that we are aware of your concerns that the Relics mechanic devalues Legendary Runes. We want to make sure we address those concerns, and we're finalizing a plan to compensate those of you who spent time and energy acquiring those Legendary Runes.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I always get kind of mildly interested in GW2 when news happens (particularly as we’re getting into the slow part of the summer), but as someone who has basically not played since launch…what is the new player experience like these days?

Is it approachable or is it like Warframe where if you haven’t been living and breathing the game it’s basically impenetrable at this point?

It’s pretty easy to just pick up and play. Even in terms of the endgame if you dont like difficult stuff there’s a lot of “strikes”, like mini-raids usually comprised of a single boss battle, that give disproportionately big rewards for how easy they are

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so is it worth me finishing my last few :/

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

logging back in and trying to figure out what I was doing previously and whats new is always a trip

turns out I was 90% of the way to legendary wvw medium armour, thank god I didnt complete it considering the obsidian armour is on the way. could get the mist infusion and either keep it or sell it

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The WvW infusion is account-bound if you buy it from the vendor. I'd expect the open world legendary set to be as grindy as all the others. It's almost certainly worth your while to finish off one WvW set, then pick up the other two sets elsewhere.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

..btt posted:

The WvW infusion is account-bound if you buy it from the vendor. I'd expect the open world legendary set to be as grindy as all the others. It's almost certainly worth your while to finish off one WvW set, then pick up the other two sets elsewhere.

I'm expecting the grind to be at least the length of the WvW set. I'd definitely just finish the WvW if you're 90% there. You can always do them in parallel, depending on how much time you have to play.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Devs confirmed that legendary rune havers will be compensated under the new relic system

two blues and a green

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

two blues and a green

nice gear!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Looks like the beta's already up

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i immediately logged in and checked hammer weaver, and the gimmick is just it giving 2 stones instead of 1
horns.aiff

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i wish ele was good (or rather, that I was good at it)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
weaver and tempest are extremely my poo poo, but hammer is just completely garbage, to me. maybe i'll like catalyst with a sword though

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

Will EoD go on sale before new expac? I don't have it yet.

Everything is on sale now: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/guild-wars-2-elder-dragon-saga-expansion-sale/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meowywitch posted:

i wish ele was good (or rather, that I was good at it)

I wish Else was simpler because mages are my poo poo but playing the piano and watching cooldowns is the opposite of fun.

Thankfully Mesmer is amazing and cool.

edit:
Although I just tried hammer Tempest and it seems neato. I dunno how it'll play in high level stuff but I like the flow more.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 29, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Elementalists are not mages in this game. Also, power weaver has a very straightforward rotation and is currently strong. At least in PvE.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Sword/Warhorn Catalyst is extremely cool. All four elements in Sword have a finisher, and sphere and warhorn combined give you an abundance of combo fields. Definitely feels a lot more freeform and less frantic than hammer too since you don't need to worry about Grand Finale, and you have a tremendous amount of survivablity, especially if celestial.

I also can agree Hammer Tempest is cool, since overloads are a bit less frantic on the rotation than sphere is.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Meeko posted:

Sword/Warhorn Catalyst is extremely cool. All four elements in Sword have a finisher, and sphere and warhorn combined give you an abundance of combo fields. Definitely feels a lot more freeform and less frantic than hammer too since you don't need to worry about Grand Finale, and you have a tremendous amount of survivablity, especially if celestial.

I also can agree Hammer Tempest is cool, since overloads are a bit less frantic on the rotation than sphere is.
I’m excited for Hammer Tempest so I can use the Mjolnir skin I made ages ago on it.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Is hammer fire camp tempest gonna be the new brain-off spec for ele?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So using hammer as a non-untamed ranger lets you customize which skills you want. I hope that's a sign of things to come (i.e. alternate skills for other weapons)

Also lol if this makes the other specs better at using hammer simply for being less unwieldy

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Hammer is sweet. That’s all. These changes are awesome because I love weapons differently than the specs they are in pretty often.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hammer weaver seems like it could be a lot of fun, particularly with a hybrid power/condi build. Maybe it could make grieving stats work, since it has a lot of built-in defense.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Mercurius posted:

I’m excited for Hammer Tempest so I can use the Mjolnir skin I made ages ago on it.

It is fun, the overloads seem to 'fit' with the hammer range most of the time, though they need to change the animation to leave the hammer in your hand when using air tempest overload.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I tried out every class a bit and it really ignited something in me.
The variety now is astounding. They made such a good decision with this, goddamn.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The only weapon that seems like a dud outside its spec is ranger staff, and I might even be missing something there. At the very least it has one of the best movement skills attached to a weapon, in addition to other utility.

Edit: just read an idea for a staff/staff untamed that spams the ambush for heals/prot/quickness, so even that's got potential for some fun jank

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 30, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

..btt posted:

Elementalists are not mages in this game. Also, power weaver has a very straightforward rotation and is currently strong. At least in PvE.

weaver does sound cool, but i have to get it to 80 first and thus not play my other dudes lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

..btt posted:

gently caress!! was excited for a basically free 1500g, thanks for the heads up though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gandlethorpe posted:

So using hammer as a non-untamed ranger lets you customize which skills you want. I hope that's a sign of things to come (i.e. alternate skills for other weapons)

Also lol if this makes the other specs better at using hammer simply for being less unwieldy

I hope they bring back the ranger sword kick

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

gandlethorpe posted:

The only weapon that seems like a dud outside its spec is ranger staff, and I might even be missing something there. At the very least it has one of the best movement skills attached to a weapon, in addition to other utility.

Edit: just read an idea for a staff/staff untamed that spams the ambush for heals/prot/quickness, so even that's got potential for some fun jank

I've seen staff used on druids in wvw as an escape weapon (1200 dash + projectile block wall + immob/chill/cripple removal), so I could see it being used on untamed as a swap weapon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Did y'all see the newest patch notes? Didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it's a repeat:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/132961-june-27-balance-follow-ups/

quote:

Scourge

Alacrity scourge is a build that we were pretty cautious with during development; we were concerned about the potential power level that could result from giving the existing heal scourge build easy access to alacrity, and to mitigate this we reduced the strength of some of its key defensive support skills. Now that the release has been live for a few days, we agree that the changes were too heavy handed, and we’ll be pulling back the reductions to Sand Cascade’s barrier as well as the barrier component of Desert Empowerment. We’ll also be giving scourge a reliable source of group protection through Sandstorm Shroud, and increasing the base alacrity duration to make it a bit easier to maintain.

Damage scourge builds were negatively impacted by some of the changes made for alacrity scourge, and the July 18 release will include some larger adjustments to bring them back up.

Sand Cascade: Increased base barrier from 996 to 1188 in PvE only. Increased barrier attribute scaling from 1.25 to 2 in PvE only.

• Desert Empowerment: Increased alacrity duration from 1 second to 1.5 seconds in PvE only. Increased base barrier from 385 to 572 in PvE only. Increased barrier attribute scaling from 0.75 to 1.0 in PvE only.
  • Sandstorm Shroud: This skill now grants 1.5 seconds of protection to nearby allies each pulse, and 3 seconds of protection to nearby allies on detonation.
  • Fell Beacon: This trait no longer reduces the cooldown of torch skills, and now also increases the damage of burning you inflict by 10%.
  • Harrowing Wave: Reduced cooldown from 20 seconds to 16 seconds in PvE only. Increased the life force per target from 3% to 5% in PvE only.
  • Oppressive Collapse: Reduced cooldown from 25 seconds to 20 seconds in PvE only. Increased might radius from 240 to 360. Might application per condition is now capped at 7 condtions in PvE only.
  • Sadistic Searing: This trait has been reworked, and causes Nefarious Favor to burn nearby enemy targets (2 stacks, 5 seconds in PvE, 1 stack, 4 seconds in PvP/WvW).
  • Demonic Lore: Increased torment damage bonus from 25% to 33% in PvE only.
  • Sand Sage: This trait has been reworked. Gain expertise and concentration while you have an active sand shade (225 in PvE, 150 in PvP/WvW).
  • Blood as Sand: This trait has been reworked. Reduce all incoming damage while you have an active sand shade (15% in PvE, 7% in PvP/WvW).

Druid

Druid is in a similar situation to scourge in that we were overly conservative with its alacrity, so it is also getting an increase to its base duration. We’ve also seen feedback regarding druid’s might generation, and we’re bumping up both the stacks and duration on Spirited Arrival to address this.

• Grace of the Land: Increased alacrity duration from 0.75 seconds to 1 second in PvE only.
  • Spirited Arrival: Increased might stacks from 3 to 6 in PvE only. Increased might duration from 9 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

Untamed

Quickness untamed has a few issues that we’re tackling in the July 18 release. The first being a usability improvement for Let Loose’s ambush-reset component: triggering the ambush reset while in the unleashed state will now immediately grant access to the ambush skill instead of requiring a transition out of and back into the unleashed state. We’re also making a slight increase to the quickness duration to make it easier to maintain.

• Let Loose: Increased quickness duration from 4 seconds to 5 seconds in PvE only. This trait will now immediately grant access to unleashed ambush skills when swapping weapons while in the unleashed state.

Herald

The new implementation for quickness herald is another case that we’re looking to improve. The current timing around its quickness application can be clunky and hard to track due to the 3 second pulse interval. To address this, we’ll be rebalancing the duration around a 1 second pulse interval to make it a bit more responsive. We’ve also seen concerns around the reduction in boon uptimes due to the loss of extra facet pulses from Draconic Echo, and are giving additional sources of concentration to help mitigate this. Our hope is that these changes will improve the overall gameplay feel of quickness herald, but if we’re still seeing issues with the general implementation after the July 18 update, we will evaluate whether a larger rework is needed.

• Elevated Compassion: Reduced quickness pulse interval from 3 seconds to 1 second. Reduced quickness duration from 3 seconds to 1.25 seconds. This trait now converts 13% of the herald’s power into concentration in addition to its other effects.
  • Reinforced Potency: Increased concentration from 120 to 240 in PvE only.
  • Shared Empowerment: Increased might duration from 8 seconds to 12 seconds in PvE only.

Deadeye

Quickness deadeye is significantly overperforming where it should be damage-wise. This was partially due to a bug that caused Malicious Intent to be active when not equipped, but looking beyond that fix it’s clear that additional reductions will be needed. We’re still discussing exactly what changes will be made, but they will be finalized in time for the July release and will likely include a reduction to One in the Chamber’s damage bonus.

Specter

Alacrity specter is another build that is overperforming in terms of damage. This is partially due to the base alacrity duration being long enough to require minimal investment into concentration, but also due to the lack of a significant damage tradeoff in the grandmaster trait slot. We’ll be tuning up Strength of Shadows while bringing down some of specter’s other damage sources to bring the alacrity build more in line without negatively affecting the damage builds.

Lastly, we’re increasing the protection duration of Shadow Sap to ensure that healing-focused specter builds have a reliable source of group protection.

• Shadestep: Reduced alacrity duration from 2 seconds to 1.25 seconds in PvE only.
  • Strength of Shadows: This trait no longer reduces incoming damage and no longer increases the duration of torment inflicted by Rot Wallow Venom, but instead increases torment damage by 25% in addition to converting vitality to expertise.
  • Larcenous Torment: This trait no longer increases torment damage, and instead steals health from an enemy when you apply torment to them.
  • Shadow Sap: Increased protection duration from 2.5 seconds to 4 seconds in PvE only.

Alacrity Willbender

A big pain point with alacrity willbender is its inability to provide alacrity during phase transitions or other times where it can’t strike an enemy. We’re hoping to mitigate this by updating Phoenix Protocol to grant some alacrity on the activation of resolve, which can also be shared via Battle Presence. We’ve also cleaned up some aftercasts and made general improvements to animations for a few key damage skills with the goal of making the overall gameplay feel a bit more fluid.

• Phoenix Protocol: this trait now grants alacrity to the willbender when activating Flowing Resolve (5 seconds in PvE, 3 seconds in PvP/WvW), which can be shared to allies with Battle Presence. Reduced the alacrity duration when resolve triggers from 1.5 seconds to 1 second in PvE only.
  • Restorative Virtues: This trait now grants vigor instead of alacrity.
  • Symbol of Resolution: This skill can now be interrupted by other skills. 
  • Ray of Judgment: Reduced aftercast 
  • Binding Blade: This skill will now use a different animation with less aftercast.

Alacrity Mirage

Last up is a rework to how mirage grants alacrity. We want there to be a better distinction between alacrity and non-alacrity builds, which is something that can be a bit blurry at times due to Chaos Vortex granting alacrity with no investment. This alacrity is being rolled into a rework of Mirage Mantle that improves all ambush skills in various ways, which can be seen in the patch note below.

• Mirage Mantle: This trait has been reworked. Ambush skills are improved.
  • Axes of Symmetry: Also inflicts cripple
  • Mirage Thrust: Removes a boon from struck foes
  • Ether Barrage: Grants quickness to self (1.5 seconds)
  • Split Surge: Deals increased damage (25% in PvE, 10 in PvP/WvW)
  • Chaos Vortex: AoE Alacrity (2.5 seconds for the player, 0.5 seconds for clones)
  • Ambush Assault: Grants might to self
  • Wave of Panic : Also inflicts torment

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oh yay I can maybe actually play LI alac mirage again.

Scourge shade uptime still rear end though so I'll stick to condi reaper for a bit longer.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Trying to decide what to boost with my expac preorder level boost. I know Specter and Firebrand are good with Celestial gear, any other strong builds that can take advantage of that?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I just want to be a witch. Whichever class is the witchiest.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

Necro? Harbinger, Scourge, Reaper are kinda witchy. Power Reaper is super strong and cozy. Can’t go wrong there.

Harbinger is arguably closest to a witch class. It's a witch class with guns. They brew elixirs. That's pretty witchy.

You also could argue Druid is "earth-witchy" but, unless you're playing DPS Druid, I cannot in good faith recommend going down that rabbit hole.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 1, 2023

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Play an engineer. Dress up like a witch and pretend the mechanist golem is a familiar. It's very cool and good.

Spectre is kind of witchy, as are necros, especially harbinger with potions if that's your thematic jam.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

if you want to play a ff8 style time witch there's chrono. probably one of the specs with the most diverse set of usable builds rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Here's a fairly recent video about a witchy class, Harbinger. Looks like a fun, high-damage, condition build using dagger, pistol, and tons of elixirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4D5Ud-LYCg

No idea how the latest patch updates will impact this, though. Everything is kind of up in the air balance-wise.