Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Name Change posted:

Save us Jack!

I mean he sucks too but Twitter was still pretty much functional under his tenure. And for the most part bluesky looks like twitter but with some tweaks. When bluesky really opens up Twitter is going to be a wasteland of bots and blue check dumbasses, which is largely the case now except for those of us who are still stranded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean he sucks too but Twitter was still pretty much functional under his tenure. And for the most part bluesky looks like twitter but with some tweaks. When bluesky really opens up Twitter is going to be a wasteland of bots and blue check dumbasses, which is largely the case now except for those of us who are still stranded.

Pretend I posted that "Click here to make all your wildest dreams come true!" link at the top of these forums that logs you out, but for the Twitter log out function.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Even better! Twitter has... you wouldn't believe it, a delete account button. :2monocle:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LifeLynx posted:

Pretend I posted that "Click here to make all your wildest dreams come true!" link at the top of these forums that logs you out, but for the Twitter log out function.

I need a place to get out my worst shitposts so I don't have to eat as many probes here on SA

yeah that's right, you fuckers aren't even getting my worst posts

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack purposefully constructed Twitter to be vulnerable to takeover, so this disaster is as much his fault as anyone's. Also he was pretty much the last person to just give up on Elon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

socialsecurity posted:

The 2008/12 toxxes purged quite a bit as well.

You can really see how the big political toxxes changed the overall forums culture apparently.

LifeLynx posted:

A shitload of people have communities and networks that are built around Twitter and don't really have a lot of viable alternatives yet.

While I know billionaires will never learn it, I wonder how many people realise that you cannot built a community catering to the right because they are monstrous assholes who destroy everything they touch and drive off everyone decent once shielded from consequences of their behaviour.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to propose a radical theory and say that a big part of the reason why SA has avoided the hard right turn is because, ironically, goons are such loving assholes. Compared to most other websites, the established culture here is aggressive, caustic, hostile, and has very little qualms with calling out people for acting like a loving idiot. Obviously it has plenty of its own problems, but in general it acts to prevent certain behaviors from self-reinforcing. And that's the problem with a lot of other communities, they end up reinforcing a lot of lovely behavior because they don't want to cause drama. And that ends up providing a fertile seedbed for the alt right to grow.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

socialsecurity posted:

The 2008/12 toxxes purged quite a bit as well.

Jesus, no kidding. Reading those Leper's Colony entries is good poo poo, Fragmaster had a ball with those shoots.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dude, 4chan and 8chan and Kiwifarms are proud of being assholes. Lots and lots of gathering points are caustic and rude. What makes SA different is that if you're a spectacular rear end in a top hat it can cost you :10bux:. Social pressure combines with financial pressure.

The other functional online groups I hang out with (functional except that they include me) do it both by explicitly calling out bad behavior and, if that doesn't work, banning.

In my trusted discord groups, people apologize all the time. That's important.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dude, 4chan and 8chan and Kiwifarms are proud of being assholes. Lots and lots of gathering points are caustic and rude. What makes SA different is that if you're a spectacular rear end in a top hat it can cost you :10bux:. Social pressure combines with financial pressure.

The other functional online groups I hang out with (functional except that they include me) do it both by explicitly calling out bad behavior and, if that doesn't work, banning.

In my trusted discord groups, people apologize all the time. That's important.

I think that's a different kind of rear end in a top hat. Kiwifarms is all about being an rear end in a top hat to other people outside of the site. It's pure malice. Here it's more "lol look at this idiot, stop being an idiot". And on a lot of other websites you'd be an rear end in a top hat for saying that. Goons are mostly assholes to each other. Not saying that SA is unique in this, or that every other community is too permissive of lovely behavior. But I think it's an important piece of the puzzle.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Goons have been very kind to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well clearly you're not an idiot then! I don't think you're wrong, I'm just trying to add another possible explanation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm an idiot, and so's my wife!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that's a different kind of rear end in a top hat. Kiwifarms is all about being an rear end in a top hat to other people outside of the site. It's pure malice. Here it's more "lol look at this idiot, stop being an idiot". And on a lot of other websites you'd be an rear end in a top hat for saying that. Goons are mostly assholes to each other. Not saying that SA is unique in this, or that every other community is too permissive of lovely behavior. But I think it's an important piece of the puzzle.

You have to rewind the clock a lot to see the intersection between Something Awful and Kiwi Farms. The Awful Link of The Day was an open invitation for people to be real assholes, but the real problem came with thing like forum invasions. There was funny stuff like the Genos on Habbo Hotel, but there were also people posting huge.gif and every other horrible thing you could find to effectively knock out some other forum.

The tell-tale signature for this was when somebody justified themselves with "It's called Something Awful!"

All that poo poo that used to go on and moved off-site makes a little bit of private game server pranks and shitposts look like a cuddle party.

Edit: to put it another way, there is a survivorship bias here. Those of us who are still around are not the giant shitheads that came before. It would be unwise to take the current culture back 15 years and assume it was like that then. You would have to factor in all the people that got banned in that span.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 1, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I am kind of relieved that it's okay that I never thought "your poisoned womb" was funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Helldump turning into an utter snakepit and eating itself is a pattern that you can see repeat itself over and over across so many parts of the internet, and it produced a lot of people who learned all the worst things from it.

I think a lot of it comes down to SA being more structured and having punishments that actually mean something, and also what administration action that does happen is usually actually getting rid of things that cause problems (eventually) rather than just ignoring them and letting them fester til they take over the whole site. Also just semi-consistently enforcing rules is enough to get rid of right-wingers eventually, because they can't actually function in environments that aren't showing them open favouritism.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tragicomic posted:

Coming back to SA as a Reddit refugee, I have to wonder - how did SA avoid becoming a right wing haven?

By largely not letting gamergaters and now transphobes kick open the door for those fuckos, imo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SA is also small enough for comprehensive human moderation

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imo thats another thing a account creation fee (oh and micro transactions, $/post) can help fix. the sheer flood of poo poo posting.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like Twitter is down outside of the app, probably related to the API change. Everyone is getting the "Rate Limit Exceeded" on the browser, but not on phone, although there's a some that's the opposite.

Edit: And not I getting "Cannot retrieve Tweets" on my phone now.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 1, 2023

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
A ‘Cage Match’ Between Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg May Be No Joke https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/01/technology/elon-musk-mark-zuckerberg-cage-match.html

I high key would love Zuck to come out and throat punch Elon and just straight up kill him by accident, and then just get put in the slammer for manslaughter

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
There must some people who went back to Facebook because of the changes on Twitter and Reddit. It would be interesting to know how much it's user count changed.

Also pretty hilarious that Zuck looks like a slightly competent CEO when compared to Musk and Spez.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I never left Facebook, even though the site is doing everything possible to push me away. I don't even reliably get notifications on replies my friends make to my posts, and my feed outside of the front end I use, is showing posts people made days ago. The fact that I have to use an outside program to force chronological posting is bad enough.

But just like the folks still on Twitter, this is where my community is. I cannot do discord. Social media was a mistake

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

greatBigJerk posted:

There must some people who went back to Facebook because of the changes on Twitter and Reddit. It would be interesting to know how much it's user count changed.

Also pretty hilarious that Zuck looks like a slightly competent CEO when compared to Musk and Spez.

Facebook is making that Twitter competitor that will be compatible with ActivityPub so you'll presumably be able to chat with users on it in Mastodon without having to sign in directly with any Meta platforms. Assuming they don't get defederated of course which a lot of instance owners say they want to do.

Seems pretty pointless to defederate them for any privacy reasons. It's not like ActivityPub is a secure pipe or anything. Meta can just ingest the content regardless of whether you federate with them or not. Though if they do a lovely job of moderating like they've done with Facebook proper I could see why you'd do that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm still on Facebook mostly out of inertia; friends I haven't seen for a while occasionally post updates of what they're up to, and there are a couple of groups I keep half an eye on, but I haven't engaged with any ads or new "shove a copy of some other social network down everyone's throats" features like videos at all.

Twitter is becoming steadily more annoying and unpleasant, just like its owner, but I have no interest in BlueSky purely because a Twitter clone created by loving @Jack is going to end up as toxic and poo poo-filled as its inspiration.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Zuck has done lots of poo poo that’s as bad or dumb as Musk, but a lot of it happened in foreign countries or was wrapped up in his metaverse VR boondoggle.

I’m only on Facebook because it’s currently the best place to get info for IRL events locally. I never post on my or anyone’s timeline outside of some birthday shoutouts

whydirt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 1, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I had never had a Facebook account until I got my Oculus last year.
And had been blocked from viewing most FB posts up until that point.
Zuckerberg had been doing this same thing for most of FBs life.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's really fascinating following the whole "how did SA dodge that bullet?" conversation knowing that whenever the forums come up in any media these days, it's usually as an example of "the old, bad Internet".

Soonmot posted:

I never left Facebook, even though the site is doing everything possible to push me away. I don't even reliably get notifications on replies my friends make to my posts, and my feed outside of the front end I use, is showing posts people made days ago. The fact that I have to use an outside program to force chronological posting is bad enough.

But just like the folks still on Twitter, this is where my community is. I cannot do discord. Social media was a mistake

For the record, there is still a built-in option on Facebook to cut the algorithm crap and sort your feed chronologically, but it's been years since you could make it your default, and they keep changing what they call it and where it is on the sidebar menu because they really, really don't want you to use it.

It's "Feeds > All" at the moment. Who knows what it'll be by next weekend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My least favourite thing is when people just expect you to have facebook. Looked at a daycare and they were just baffled at not having one to join a group. Apparently a lot of schools do this too?

And lol at some job interviews where not having any socmeds to stalk makes you appear sketchy. But if you took a picture with a glass of wine, hope it’s not for a job with kids. Please buy Facebook and LinkedIn, Elon

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think people also just naturally grow out of libertarianism, heading either hard right or left as its incoherence becomes too much. As the user base aged, it headed left instead of right for some reason.

Also, early internet people had to have money to access the internet, know what the internet was, and how to operate it. You had to have a small amount of technical knowledge back then to figure the internet out because it was a nerd with computers thing and that changed as time went on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Husband and I always say the death of social media was when you stopped having to learn either emacs or vi to use it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

It's really fascinating following the whole "how did SA dodge that bullet?" conversation knowing that whenever the forums come up in any media these days, it's usually as an example of "the old, bad Internet".

For the record, there is still a built-in option on Facebook to cut the algorithm crap and sort your feed chronologically, but it's been years since you could make it your default, and they keep changing what they call it and where it is on the sidebar menu because they really, really don't want you to use it.

It's "Feeds > All" at the moment. Who knows what it'll be by next weekend.

It also gets switched off seemingly at random, but it's also probably been three years at least since I tried Facebook with my front end. Browsing it on my phone is terrible enough.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Young Freud posted:

Looks like Twitter is down outside of the app, probably related to the API change. Everyone is getting the "Rate Limit Exceeded" on the browser, but not on phone, although there's a some that's the opposite.

Edit: And not I getting "Cannot retrieve Tweets" on my phone now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675187969420828672

Musk implemented READ limits for all accounts. 600 tweets/day for non-paying accounts.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
He's the childlike emperor of ME DO.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's genius. Why hasn't any other social media platform thought of trying to force people to spend LESS time engaged with the platform and its ads?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How does it measure read tweets

Does every reply that loads under a tweet I open count as a new tweet?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not sure I could run the place worse if Elon paid me to do it, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675187969420828672

Musk implemented READ limits for all accounts. 600 tweets/day for non-paying accounts.

I thought I heard some premature fireworks for the 4th but it turns out it was just Elon putting a bullet through his own platform's head.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To prevent explosive behavior, Twitter will automatically crash your browser after 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is like Bizarro Something Awful, remember how once in a while some of the forums would be registered-only? I think some of them are permanently that way, too.