Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

God I love that show so loving much.

I love every Danny McBride show, but Eastbound and Down's cold open's are unparalleled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drc219mQlqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Doesn’t hurt that Freddie King’s Going Down is one of the greatest songs ever recorded

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I love every Danny McBride show, but Eastbound and Down's cold open's are unparalleled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drc219mQlqg

I'm sorry, but that scene is severely lacking without the full, black bikers week intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQF5kDmXkGk

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Goddamn Eastbound and Down was incredible.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The final scene of season 3 was so good as a series finale and would have been a perfect send off. Then they hit us with the 4th season that somehow ended up with an even better ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2lrqKPa83g

Just incredible

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 30, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I so badly want Steve Little to show up in RG.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Righteous Gemstones is definitely the better written show. You can just see all the thought and care that goes into every detail: the writing, the jokes, the sets, little things the actors do.

But, Eastbound is so loving batshit insane and you gotta love that too. Season 2 Kenny goes to loving Mexico to be a cockfighter and do drugs and get cornrows. it felt like HBO gave them that money and they just went hog wild.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ending of eastbound is one of the funniest, most insane things I have ever seen. Part of me was almost bummed they wussed out and made it bs from his memoir, but I get why they did it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Righteous Gemstones is definitely the better written show. You can just see all the thought and care that goes into every detail: the writing, the jokes, the sets, little things the actors do.

But, Eastbound is so loving batshit insane and you gotta love that too. Season 2 Kenny goes to loving Mexico to be a cockfighter and do drugs and get cornrows. it felt like HBO gave them that money and they just went hog wild.

I agree gemstones is the better written show.

Vice principles is better written too.

But in concept and how actually funny the show is as a whole, eastbound and down wins every single time, and by a mile.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah my bad, I have a terrible memory and his name is what was stuck in my head.

All 3 of them are behind the rear end in a top hat trilogy of shows (eastbound, vice principles, and gemstones).

Yeah I think I heard McBride in an interview refer to them as “Southern Toxic Masculinity Trilogy” or something to the effect and that’s really stuck with me.

FishBowlRobot posted:

He has a couple lines at a party they pass through. He’s hanging on a couch with Ben Best (played Clegg in Eastbound & Down, co-created the show). Best is the one who notices blood on Jonah Hill’s pants.

E:

https://youtu.be/YTQAMD3R4Ow

Best will always be Clegg in my mind, a typical Southern frat bro just barely on the side of not being total white trash.

Sadly, Best unexpectedly passed away a couple of years ago. I don’t think it ever was shared why. :smith:

PantsBandit posted:

Goddamn Eastbound and Down was incredible.

:emptyquote:

That show was so loving good, probably one of the best pilots I’ve ever seen and while the quality of it throughout was pretty uneven, still one of the funniest shows in the last 20-30 years IMO. It also had a ton of very funny and talented people with supporting roles and cameos like McConaughey, Adam Scott, Jason Sudeikis, Ike Barinholtz, Tim Heidecker, Jillian Bell, Michael Peña, Ken Marino, and probably others I’m forgetting.

In a way, I think it’s underrated how good the writing was since McBride’s performance as Kenny (understandably) sucked up all of the attention and the pathos he brought to such an over the top character was impressive. Also the poo poo they had Stevie say and do was so goddamn funny.

Full disclosure - I can no longer visit restaurants when I go back home to the South (Georgia) and not think of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edc0LbLWZyc

Fake edit: the music choices for their shows are also incredible. As mentioned by others, Freddy King in the EB&D cold opens and smash cut to title are the greatest and just the song choices throughout.

Double fake edit: as someone recently mentioned, their use of slo mo for the dumbest, funniest stuff is unparalleled. Post your favorite slow mo clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxWsyUp97rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfx1v-vgW-I

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 30, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feeeeeeeeexins is absolutely one of the funniest bits they’ve done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eastbound is a relentless assault of some of the funniest poo poo I have ever watched. I really think it's on the short list of of funniest pieces of media ever made. I don't think Vice Principles or Gemstones is necessarily better written, but they are as focused on the story as much as the gags where in E&D the gag is king. They all do what they set out to do very well.

Ultimately I think Eastbound is still my favorite, but the margin is so small it's almost not even worth ranking. all three have been A+ shows.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anyone I see with pretty blue eyes I absolutely tell them they got those Paul Walker eyes

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/cWawVEy.gifv

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I counter all your favorite funny EB&D lines/scenes with one of my favorite ones from Vice Principals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGPM_pk-gbM&t=51s

The delivery on "...Wassup?" is priceless. :allears: Fuckin' love Goggins.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Feeeeeeeeexins is absolutely one of the funniest bits they’ve done.

YOU CLEAN UP THOSE FEEEEXINS!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The first episode of season 4 of EB&D is maybe, maybe the greatest 30 minutes of television ever made.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i can feel it... down in ma pluuums

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every clip I’ve ever seen of Eastbound is hilarious but I’ve tried to get into the show itself multiple times and failed. I don’t know why.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every clip I’ve ever seen of Eastbound is hilarious but I’ve tried to get into the show itself multiple times and failed. I don’t know why.

I tried the first couple episodes because of this thread and I failed to get into it because they were unfunny dogshit.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

For me Vice Principals is the best, with Gemstones right behind it. EB&D is a solid third place. :kiddo:

I enjoyed the first season, but for some reason season 2 made me fall off. I think it was the setting change?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My mother in law feels similar despite absolutely loving vice principles and gemstones.

He’s just too mean for her, and she doesn’t find the mean thing funny.

Eastbound is significantly stupider and significantly meaner, and I think that’s what people have a problem with. But I think it’s the GOAT.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if you've had to have known a kenny to like a kenny show

or if that makes things worse for some people

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I can watch it because I don't know a Kenny Powers. Just like I Think You Should Leave, the characters don't seem like they could be real, so the cringe doesn't bother me.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Y’all should watch foot fist way then

My parents owned a martial arts school and the movie felt like a documentary to me. It just felt too close to home and accurate.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sonatinas posted:

Y’all should watch foot fist way then

My parents owned a martial arts school and the movie felt like a documentary to me. It just felt too close to home and accurate.

That movie is loving hilarious too.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Gemstones is my favorite of this "trilogy" just because it's the most relatable to me. But Eastbound is only edged out by the thinnest of hairs in my book. I rewatched the series last year and it was great how well its held up, but a lot of things hit totally different now.

I loved Vice Principles, but of the three shows that one is the most mean spirited. I quote it constantly, but of the set it's an easy #3 for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

I tried the first couple episodes because of this thread and I failed to get into it because they were unfunny dogshit.

I truly do not understand the mindset of someone who likes Gemstones but would call EB&D "unfunny dogshit". It's all of the same writers and directors, the same style of humor, same lead actor. Makes no sense at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm rewatching Eastbound and just got to the Don Johnson episode. I totally forgot he was in this and who his character is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I truly do not understand the mindset of someone who likes Gemstones but would call EB&D "unfunny dogshit". It's all of the same writers and directors, the same style of humor, same lead actor. Makes no sense at all.

What, you think none of them learned a single thing in 10 years of practicing their craft?

Like, here's an example of one of the few "jokes" I found in the first ~1 hour of EB&D: a dorky white collar professional asks Kenny if he wants a smoothie and Kenny says "no thanks, I'm straight."

Gemstones doesn't shy from having characters drop these kinds of lines either, but in Gemstones it would be a throwaway line, something squeezed in among half a dozen funnier lines in rapid-fire bickering. Eastbound & Down thought that it was so clever that it deserved half a scene dedicated to it, giving it time to hang in the air so that you can really appreciate what a hilarious knee-slapper it is.

People have shared some hilarious clips in here, so obviously it gets better at some point, but if I'm weird for not finding the first few episodes funny then I'm pretty happy with that.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

the holy poopacy posted:

a dorky white collar professional asks Kenny if he wants a smoothie and Kenny says "no thanks, I'm straight."

lmfao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it really finds it footing throughout the first season and is firing on all cylinders/is just as good as gemstones by season 2. But even if it's a bit amateurish early on I think it's a far cry for being unfunny dogshit. There's some great bits even from the first episode.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
EB&D has no Walton Goggins. Therefore it is the worst of the three

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Vice Principals is my favorite because it's the meanest. And it's really tight, it seems like a longer show when I think about it but it was only two seasons. Much as I love Baby Billy, Lee Russell is my favorite Goggins just for how blatantly psychotic he is.

EB&D is the best for watching random clips though, even if you aren't familiar with the show. Feeexins.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah EB&D makes some really great clips. I think the one youtube clip I recently saw about the feeeexins was hilarious because of how insane it is between the two clips. Where Stevie has a bunch of plastic surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZ9PbHfPP8

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wizardofloneliness posted:

Vice Principals is my favorite because it's the meanest. And it's really tight, it seems like a longer show when I think about it but it was only two seasons. Much as I love Baby Billy, Lee Russell is my favorite Goggins just for how blatantly psychotic he is.

EB&D is the best for watching random clips though, even if you aren't familiar with the show. Feeexins.
I’m glad that they just made Vice Principals 2 seasons because like you said, it works better that way

Lee Russell is on a whole other level of crazy

I still personally like Eastbound the most of the shows, but they are all great in their own ways

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, VP is absolutely the most mean-spirited of the three..there are two adult characters who aren't assholes (Russell's wife and the step-dad Ray) plus Gamby's kid. Everyone else just fuckin' sucks, at least once.

I love mean shows though, so it's my favorite. :getin:

the holy poopacy posted:

Gemstones doesn't shy from having characters drop these kinds of lines either, but in Gemstones it would be a throwaway line, something squeezed in among half a dozen funnier lines in rapid-fire bickering.

I agree with you on this part.

mutantIke posted:

EB&D has no Walton Goggins. Therefore it is the worst of the three

wizardofloneliness posted:

Much as I love Baby Billy, Lee Russell is my favorite Goggins just for how blatantly psychotic he is.

:yeah:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah EB&D makes some really great clips. I think the one youtube clip I recently saw about the feeeexins was hilarious because of how insane it is between the two clips. Where Stevie has a bunch of plastic surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZ9PbHfPP8

Can you post the hilarious clip?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

clown shoes posted:

Can you post the hilarious clip?

Not the show's fault your sense of humor sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.