Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, they got Dominic Lewis to do the music for Superman. gently caress yes, his soundtrack for High Castle was an ice pick into the emotional centres of my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I swear Unicorn: Warriors Eternal was advertised as a miniseries. That was not a miniseries, that was a season one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I swear Unicorn: Warriors Eternal was advertised as a miniseries. That was not a miniseries, that was a season one.

Speaking of, how was that show? It looks interesting

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I found it to be thoroughly mediocre but I think a lot of your enjoyment really seems to hinge on how much you like Genndy's move this time with making a lot of the character/art design be a tribute to old early-days-of-animation designs. Like, I have heard (and agree with) the joke that one of the leads is Betty Boop but with superpowers. I personally just did not think they meshed at all and were very distracting given the tone/story.

But again, to each their own and frankly good for Genndy for being able to get a new idea out there in reboot-ridden media landscape.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Larryb posted:

Neat action/animation. The story is a little bit messy, but I still enjoyed it. Probably could have benefited by not being so heavily serialized, since its clear there are some ideas that Genndy wanted to mess around with but maybe shouldn't be tied into the main narrative.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jor-el shouldn't be floating. They'll need to explain that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like we were talking about before, Danny Phantom probably would actually greatly benefit from a reboot. Been said that remakes and reboots should be for stuff that wasn't great but had good ideas, or otherwise never got to live up to its full potential, not just stuff that was already good on its own merits.

Hell, that's pretty much how Transformers and TMNT go; the original cartoon entries don't hold up great (Transformers more than TMNT) but they've had multiple reboots that use different tones and incorporate different aspects of previous entries, not to mention using different animation styles and taking advantage of technological and artistic advances.

drrockso20 posted:

What the Avatar franchise really needs is an MMO

We'd never get it, but a good tabletop RPG could be loads of fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We'd never get it, but a good tabletop RPG could be loads of fun.

There's the one Magpie Games put out, and it seems fine. The engine is not to all tastes but it does help the game focus on relationships which an Airbender game absolutely should.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I do know that D&D 5E went as far as introducing a specialization for Monk that was pretty heavily inspired by AtLA… though IIRC, it’s also generally considered one of the overall lowest-tier classes. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Looks like Toph was most recently voiced by Vivian Vencer in 2021, so itd probably be her. And Aang was Dustin Sardella.

Also the Avatar PBTA rpg is plenty good. Not the best PBTA game but far from the worst. And definitely a better fit for Avatar than something like a 5e hack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

ATLA is ever-present on Netflix and parents who grew up with it now have kids who are the right age to watch it.

Yeah, and iirc it experienced a huge boom of people rewatching/watching for the first time during COVID so now (well, a couple of years ago but development takes time) is definitely the time to strike for a game.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Beachcomber posted:

Jor-el shouldn't be floating. They'll need to explain that.

antigravity belt and a wind machine procured specifically for recording his message

also it looks like Clark's got the Cool S That You Drew On Your Notebook In Class on his shirt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, how’s the new D+ series Haley’s On It? It looked sort of interesting based on the trailer

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Larryb posted:

On another note, how’s the new D+ series Haley’s On It? It looked sort of interesting based on the trailer

It's cute and entirely inoffensive. Slapstick comedy with a teenage romcom subplot. Most episodes are ~12 minutes long. No dark secrets or huge dramatic turns.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Suleman posted:

It's cute and entirely inoffensive. Slapstick comedy with a teenage romcom subplot. Most episodes are ~12 minutes long. No dark secrets or huge dramatic turns.

Is it serialized or more of an episodic show?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Larryb posted:

Is it serialized or more of an episodic show?

Episodic with a few very minor overarching developments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Suicide Squad is getting an anime it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaBR58f7I0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Suicide Squad is getting an anime it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaBR58f7I0

If nothing else, I admire DC's animated side's openness to just let random unexpected people come in and try weird experimental poo poo with their brand characters even if it doesn't usually work out or produce anything any good. Marvel rarely takes weird risks like this.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Joker and Harley are the entirety of the suicide squad? Waller has landed on bad times

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twibbit posted:

Joker and Harley are the entirety of the suicide squad? Waller has landed on bad times

I think there was a shot of Killer Croc in the teaser as well

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Twibbit posted:

clearly this is due to biden's national security budget cuts

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been watching old clips, and I find people's reactions to Jimmy in Ed Edd n Eddy kind of annoying because people consider him to be a manipulative little rear end, but that's the whole point. He starts off being a genuinely pathetic person, but then after spending day with the Eds he learns a lot from Eddy, and develops a spine, becoming one of the most manipulative people in the cul-de-sac, and I personally thought that that was a really interesting direction for him to go in. He's still a fundamentally nice person when things are going well, but Eddy creates a monster and now whenever he's backed into a corner he'll claw your face off. He's a character that needs to be taken in that context. He knows how to stand up for himself, but he also knows how to leverage his assets and hide behind/weaponise Sarah when needed. When the episode calls for it he makes an effective villain, and it's a fun use of the character.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

If nothing else, I admire DC's animated side's openness to just let random unexpected people come in and try weird experimental poo poo with their brand characters even if it doesn't usually work out or produce anything any good. Marvel rarely takes weird risks like this.
Marvel already did a bunch of anime series and movies, the results were predictably bad, and most of them are free on youtube with ads...

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 4, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of the Suicide Squad anime:

https://twitter.com/FleurashDesign/status/1676010319422844935

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

God, that's so creepy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

cant cook creole bream posted:

God, that's so creepy.

It's quite realistic for clown make-up. Thick painted on smile, and definitely not that underneath.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Very Romero jokervibe

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And while we’re on the subject, the Harley Quinn series returns with Season 4 on the 27th:

https://411mania.com/movies/new-max-july-harley-quinn-season-4-lethal-weapon-franchise/

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So, Disney didn't seem to really think too much about Primos before debuting it to the wider world, huh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literally the point of many versions of the Joker is the clown's fake grin. TDK's Glasgow grin, and all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neeksy posted:

So, Disney didn't seem to really think too much about Primos before debuting it to the wider world, huh.
Ugly designs by way of KlaskyCsupo and a wonderfully terrible response to spanish speakers' concerns.

This one is a winner!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there a good rundown on what's going on with Primos?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh there's a bunch out there but most I've seen sound kinda overly reactionary

Assepoester posted:

Marvel already did a bunch of anime series and movies, the results were predictably bad, and most of them are free on youtube with ads...

I always got a kick out of the fact that Marvel has cast Steve Blum as Wolverine in so many other shows/games/etc but for the Wolverine anime they cast another guy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

I always got a kick out of the fact that Marvel has cast Steve Blum as Wolverine in so many other shows/games/etc but for the Wolverine anime they cast another guy
Even better, they still cast Steve Blum for the X-Men anime dub!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Were any of the previous Japanese adaptions of western comic books any good out of curiosity?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Disney+ just premiered Kizazi Moto, a new Afrofuturist animated anthology. anyone watched it and is it any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpypOiIB2jc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

largely just people reacting to the title sequence a couple of months ago, which had a mispronounciation of oye primo in the song, and was set at sunset so people assumed it was another show about Mexico with a yellow filter, even though it's clearly southern california (and the logo itself features the Hollywood sign in the background). the show is basically Disney doing The Loud House, and it's about the creator's childhood, but people assumed it was just all white people relishing in hispanic stereotypes

also one of the names can translate into vagina in ONE region but not others

it's a situation of being the only current ongoing show in america with Hispanic representation (with shows like Victor and Valentino, The Owl House, and The Casagrandes ended) and so it gets extra scrutiny. people involved in the show were not particularly smart and gave snippy comments in return and that has made things worse (a VA talked about how "Um ACTUALLY, Spanish is a colonizer language??? did you, did you know that hmmm???" which landed like a lead balloon). but the fact that you have people in comments sections in various places going "how can they use X as a name?" and then "uhhh where I'm from that's completely normal, my cousin is named X and I know three Xs", or "this word means Y in Spanish!" "not in my region, we use Z not Y, Y means B" shows that there is no catch-all. for example apparently it can be common in southern california for people to say Oye Primos rather than Oye Primo even though it's inaccurate. but also you could maybe have done some research and not named characters names that could be offensive or shocking to people in some regions??? i understand where people are coming from. i didn't even know about the existence of Primos until i saw people talking about the title sequence, so maybe Disney could've done a better job marketing and explaining it first??

now, that's all my knowledge of what the drama was coming into this week, and I figured once the show came out we'd know just how valid people's concerns were. i have not seen the first episode or the talk about it online so i don't know if the show has stumbled more or not. if it has, uh oh! if not, idk

e: I also side with the people being representated because, yknow, they should be listened to. i hope that they are loud and clear if the first actual episode is wildly misrepresentative. also if you are a creative, even if you are passionate about what you're making, why are you telling people who are offended how they should feel? just a weird run-up to airing so i'm not surprised Disney is unceremonious about its release. ALSO if i misrepresented anything about the original drama let me know

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 5, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

ALSO if i misrepresented anything about the original drama let me know

That's pretty much it. It's really that one VA's (was it a VA? I thought it was just a writer or someone else involved with the show, whatever, doesn't matter) stupid response video that generated a whole lot of the negative backlash.

But yeah I haven't seen the actual show either, nor did I see any press before controversy brought it to my attention. Hopefully it's all okay. Ultimately I don't care because it looks like it's supposed to skew younger anyway :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also apparently the error was supposed to be intentional because the main character doesn't actually understand Spanish very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like one of those many times where the main backlash happens in some corner of the internet far away so you only hear the distant echoes, but it could definitely spook the company (watch Thundercats Roar if you can, it's pretty good). Not that I particularly expect this show to be my jam.

I also saw some people complain that naming the town after earthquakes is insensitive. If there are people complaining about individual dialects of Spanish, I'd like to see the show lean into that and throw in like a few Argentinians or Spaniards. It's a pretty big and widely variable language. There's been a lot of cartoons with hispanic representation, but I guess not all that many that use big chunks of the Spanish language.