Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I switched 3 accounts to the $39 plan :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I switched 3 accounts to the $39 plan :shrug:

Apparently I had it filtered to 5G so the $39 plan wasn't showing up, lol

+5GB for -1 dollar is a decent deal

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tagra posted:

Apparently I had it filtered to 5G so the $39 plan wasn't showing up, lol

+5GB for -1 dollar is a decent deal

But does it change your old loyalty plan to the newer one with a lower discount?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mister Facetious posted:

But does it change your old loyalty plan to the newer one with a lower discount?

I didn't see anything about it changing the loyalty... I'm currently at a 6 dollar discount so hopefully it doesn't switch.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I managed to switch to the $39/20GB plan with Koodo, had to pay off my "tab bonus" which essentially means buying my pixel 7 pro at full price but I think it's worth it in the long run. The first rep tried to offer me $40/20GB but I didn't take it because every dollar counts :arghfist:

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 30, 2023

mewse
May 2, 2006

waxluthor posted:

I managed to switch to the $39/20GB plan with Koodo, had to pay off my "tab bonus" which essentially means buying my pixel 7 pro at full price but I think it's worth it in the long run. The first rep tried to offer me $40/20GB but I didn't take it because every dollar counts :arghfist:

Did you have to talk to someone? This chatbot on the koodo website is (designed to be) useless

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What, you don't like the meme gifs it replies with?!

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

mewse posted:

Did you have to talk to someone? This chatbot on the koodo website is (designed to be) useless

Yeah I talked to first rep for like 10 minutes, he gave me the usual BS like the plan is only for new customers and I have tap bonus remaining and such. I said I'm willing to pay off my tap and I can go to any other provider and get the deal. He put me on hold for a few minutes and then offered me $40/20GB. I said no and he put me through to the second tier rep, I had to say all the same things again but she gave me the plan right away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

waxluthor posted:

Infuriatingly similar to the call my wife made to Rogers last week about our cable. She got them to give us some new customer discount (which in the fine print didn't actually specify that anywhere) and after a transfer and more bargaining they finally relented but still wouldn't give her the actual price. It was the price plus an extra dollar or two. Putting in so much effort on their part just to squeeze an extra twenty bucks out of us each year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm looking at jumping from my grandfathered Public package (with US to Canada calling/roaming) for the $50/40GB Freedom deal. I really like the idea of the US Roaming (even though I don't use it tons) and get a $50 coverage allowance from work so it pays for it. Public has been OK but I'm on the 3G (4G throttled) and they are a little flaky even with that lately IMHO.

I live in suburb which should still be in their native 4G/LTE but travel periodically through their variable/nationwide coverage areas.

How bad are they outside their home network spot? I'm using a Pixel 6 and their online tool with the IMEI # says I'm good to go.

Also, I haven't had to port a number in YEARS. Is it super easy self serve online or should I go to one of their stores to do it?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

waxluthor posted:

Yeah I talked to first rep for like 10 minutes, he gave me the usual BS like the plan is only for new customers and I have tap bonus remaining and such. I said I'm willing to pay off my tap and I can go to any other provider and get the deal. He put me on hold for a few minutes and then offered me $40/20GB. I said no and he put me through to the second tier rep, I had to say all the same things again but she gave me the plan right away.

That sounds like a really quick call. I used to haggle with the big 3 for 2 hours every year to save $10 a month, now I just switch providers. Now that you are tab free you should be able to just port around and skip the phone calls.

Phone calls :argh: Customer Support :argh: :argh:

slidebite posted:

I'm looking at jumping from my grandfathered Public package (with US to Canada calling/roaming) for the $50/40GB Freedom deal. I really like the idea of the US Roaming (even though I don't use it tons) and get a $50 coverage allowance from work so it pays for it. Public has been OK but I'm on the 3G (4G throttled) and they are a little flaky even with that lately IMHO.

I live in suburb which should still be in their native 4G/LTE but travel periodically through their variable/nationwide coverage areas.

How bad are they outside their home network spot? I'm using a Pixel 6 and their online tool with the IMEI # says I'm good to go.

Also, I haven't had to port a number in YEARS. Is it super easy self serve online or should I go to one of their stores to do it?

They will list the information you need to port online, so it is 98% simple when you enter the right values. Remember to get the right values to avoid the 2% headache

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah self service porting is pretty quick and painless imo.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is Public Mobile's new 5G 25+25 GB plan for $65 the best deal for 5G right now? I left them years ago because Virgin had some better offers, but I'm stuck on 4G with my Pixel 7 Pro and I'd like to taste the sweet forbidden fruit of 5G on my device.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks RE porting.

I'm ready to jump from Public but I still have a couple weeks left in my term so I think I might want to stay a week or so yet. Does anyone have any clue how long these "time limited offers" from Freedom last? I would hate to miss it. I could switch today but I'd rather not.

I'm stuck hotspotting my home right now as the Telus line locator (fence work) actually managed to break my fiber doing their locate :argh:

So I'm using the 3G/3mb speed as a hotspot right now. Which kinda sucks, but it's not useless. I have a few gigs with Public to burn through over the next 24-48 hours before telus fixes their fuckup.

I was actually doing 720p over youtube last night with it just fine although I'm sure I'd prefer 4G/LTE.

OH another question: I rarely use much data (like, typically 1-2gb a month as most of my heavy data is when it's tied into the home network) but I see Freedom has unlimited if you go over your cap. I presume they severely throttle you if you do? Does anyone know what speed when that happens?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
4. Once your Fast LTE (full-speed) allotment is depleted, you will continue to have access to data services, with no data overage fees, but at a slower speed – of up to 256 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 128 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Freedom Network, and up to 128 kilobits per second (for downloads) and 64 kilobits per second (for uploads) on the Nationwide Network

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for finding that.

128kb lol
Might as well be 128 bytes.

40GB is still oodles for what I'd ever use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I've been hotspotting with my lovely public connection for 3 days now and so far zero data shows on my usage overview.

Going into the details it now shows a big hit late yesterday, bur its not showing on the overview so I have no idea if its "really" counting against me or what. I think if it does and shuts me down, I'll just go over to Freedom and sign up for that plan. Until then, it might be slow but if I am basically getting unlimited data I'm OK with it. :shrug:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

So how much is Live Voicemail per month?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I have 1400 free international calling minutes Public has given me over the years for xmas. That's 23 hours of... prank calls to Europe or something I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scudworth posted:

I have 1400 free international calling minutes Public has given me over the years for xmas. That's 23 hours of... prank calls to Europe or something I guess.

Call a bunch of Indians ask them if they need duct cleaning services.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Arivia posted:

Call a bunch of Indians ask them if they need duct cleaning services.

YES. it's payback time, chinese spam calls pretending to be fedex

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So Telus finally came by and fixed my fiber. Took all of about 10 minutes as expected. The guy couldn't wrap his head around the line locator loving it up so badly.

Public never did cut me off data, nor does it even register on the front end of my account. Still at 0GB this billing cycle :iiam:

I'm debating whether to push telus for a bigger credit from dicking me around for almost a week due to their fault.

The initial help desk guy gave me $50 off as soon as I made the call to call in the service, but that was before the dick around I had of losing my service for almost a week, causing my wife to commute to her folks for 3 days to work remotely.

That said, to go back to the "cell" part of this thread, I think I'm going to sign up with this freedom plan today. I was waiting over the weekend to see if anyone else would announce something to more directly compete but nobody can with that US roaming being the unicorn.

5G doesn't appeal to me and the only downsides that I can see with Freedom is if I am outside their network with heavy data usage they might penalize you if you use it very heavy versus their network. But I'll always be on wifi at home and the cities I go to with regularity are freedom cities so the little bit that's in between doesn't bother me, and even then they are allowing the 40GB for their nationwide so it shouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't all the time.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
How does anyone stand it on a cell provider who doesn't have Telus/Koodo call control? I didn't even know how often spam calls came until I jumped onto Public Mobile (which curiously doesn't have Call Control despite being owned by Telus) and it's a spam call or more every day.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You learn to love the first few dulcet notes of music leading into softly voiced Chinese threats against your ups canadapost package.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just set the iphone to silence unknown callers, works good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

How does anyone stand it on a cell provider who doesn't have Telus/Koodo call control? I didn't even know how often spam calls came until I jumped onto Public Mobile (which curiously doesn't have Call Control despite being owned by Telus) and it's a spam call or more every day.

I average less than one every two months on Public Mobile :shrug:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

My Pixel 7 Pro has a call screening function that transcribes what they're saying, if anybody actually wants to get a hold of me I'll see them ask for me and then answer it or hang up. Plus it automatically filters out a good 50-70% of the spam

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I was getting 1-2 spam calls per month, and then I ported off Freedom to Koodo near black friday. After the port I started getting spam calls nearly daily until I turned call control on. It could be a coincidence but it's hard for me not to consider it suspicious.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Call control is great, but it confuses the gently caress out of the yanks. The first people who contact me for contract work are usually Americans, but if they call and get call control, the message goes in one eat and out the other. They assume it's a wrong number or answering machine and hang up. I've almost missed a couple of gigs because of it so I have to leave it off :smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Facetious posted:

I average less than one every two months on Public Mobile :shrug:

literally same. FWIW none yet on Freedom, but not sure how much of it is the Pixels doing..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m waffling on whether I actually would get call control if Bell offered it. Mainly because I know they’d charge like $10/month and right now I get maybe two spam calls a month that are silenced anyway.

My work line is much worse. It wasn’t until a month or two into my new work number assignment that I remembered that I don’t actually have to give businesses my real contact info because I don’t actually ever want these people to reach me after I go to work events, seminars, conferences, etc, but by then the damage was done. Needless to say that phone sits plugged in in a drawer and I don’t give it a second thought for months at a time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Call Control made a huge difference when I first activated it. Like I don't know if I'd want to leave Koodo if it meant losing it. I have used that robo-answering feature of the Pixels mentioned above but I'd prefer not to even receive the call in the first place.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

literally same. FWIW none yet on Freedom, but not sure how much of it is the Pixels doing..

I use iPhone, so i think it's just a matter of what services have leaked your phone number in a hack attempt. While my email is everywhere, i only use my phone number for commerce sites/banks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You people need to live a little, I love asking for duct cleaning from the CRA warrant for my arrest people and vice-versa

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're only playing yourself if you're wasting time with phone scammers irl, and not using automation to flood their lines with traffic.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I just say, "gimme a second" and put them on hold. Give the poor guy in India a break from their terrible job for a minute or two.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've openly wished death on them before when I've bothered to play along and stay on the line, but it's worse than you probably think it is for them

https://www.propublica.org/article/human-traffickers-force-victims-into-cyberscamming

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1 week into freedom mobile and so far I like it.

The port was quasi painful because the IMEI didn't show as being accurate on Public, so they first rejected the request. Then it was approved with my acct # but Public, for some bizarre reason, post-dated the port for a couple days which delayed everything.

On the Freedom side, the online agent waived the activation fee, but there was a $10 fee for something else. I didn't mind though, it was better than $40 activation fee. The prepayment $$ the agent told me to pay (which I did) was actually something like .95 short to activate it when it eventually ported thru. Luckily we caught this with tech support when I was calling about issues with the port and they just credited it because it was a dumb mistake on their part. Tech support/call center was easy to get a hold of, nationally based too which was surprised me tbh.

The Freedom service is so far, decent. Biggest practical issue is that I live on a fringe area of the Freedom network. That's no problem as in my home I have it set up for wifi calling which works great. The drawback I seem to notice is when I am travelling between Freedom to National network, I might lose the call, presumably as I move from the Freedom tower to the local national provider. It doesn't happen lots, but it does happen.

Voice mail appears to be bare bones and has no extended absence/vacation options where you have VM on but remove the ability to leave messages. I haven't dug to far into that and I hope I'm just missing it.

Other than that, service seems fine and super fast compared to the Public 3G speeds, not that I do a ton of mobile data.

I'll probably do a US trip in the coming weeks to try out the roaming. All in all, for $50 I'm happy with the move.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Any good canada day deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like I'll be moving to Calgary this fall, from the US. What carriers should I be looking at? I want to bring and use my Pixel 5a, currently on Google Fi.

And no, can't just roam with Fi indefinitely - apparently they're starting to crack down on that.

Main things are to be as affordable as possible with good internet coverage.