Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Anne Frank Funk posted:

In my mind it’s fairly possible to film God Emperor by making the whole film about the sequence of plots against the worm and and continuous attempts to turn Duncan after Duncan, only showing Leto in full, philosophical rambling, monstrous appendage and all at the end of the film, with the execution of the final attempt coming to the conclusion.

Having Leto as an unseen horror / philosophical film seems extremely up DV's alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Is Paul W.S. Anderson the ultimate Wife Guy" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
God Emperor should be made in the style of Tarkovsky's Stalker, black and white, and 3,5 hours long, of which 2 hours would be reseved for Leto and Siona's Desert Funtime with a full half hour of nothing but Leto staring wistfully into the desert.

There's nothing anyone can say to change my mind

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Wonder if they'll combine Messiah and Children like the miniseries did? That might be a bit much for a single movie though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Start God Emperor with the Lord of the Rings montage of Smeagol rotting away and turning into Gollum only it's all about Leto's dick

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Riot Bimbo posted:

theaters suck, the only reason i'd put up with them is to watch a movie like this on a bigger screen than my home one, with maybe more fidelity or w/e going on

but they actually do really suck and i can't blame anyone for getting sick of that poo poo because same.

don't you live in a place with a ton of good theaters? you fool. you absolute bimbo.

very few places in the world have it as good as the PNW for movie theaters.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

What are those weird hammer-head sword-arm people in the background of the arena scene???

I'd guess those are the guys throwing darts at the slave gladiator when it looks as if he's too good. They're in the book.

In a bullfight they would probably be the banderilleros.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Paddyo posted:

Wonder if they'll combine Messiah and Children like the miniseries did? That might be a bit much for a single movie though.

well obviously he'll need to make 2 installments instead of the one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the Baron floating around lazily with whatever these balls do while his whole army holds their arms above their head

edit: also his ship looks like an angry toad or beetle or something

Remember that still of Jessica in her bug carrying thing? Looks like really leaning into the whole ornithopter is based off a bug motif throughout the films.

edit 2:

talking about this

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 30, 2023

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

don't you live in a place with a ton of good theaters? you fool. you absolute bimbo.

very few places in the world have it as good as the PNW for movie theaters.

Yeah I can go to some nice ones, and for dune part 2 i probably am gonna.

i just hate going to theaters as a general thing. I don't trade in giant purses, so food smuggling isn't an option and i'm not paying for theater food; but I usually do end up wanting a snack. If it's busy, I am old enough to be a loving grandma about disliking rowdy audiences for movies like this (it's fine for comedies or 'stupid' movies, but this is a movie where i would 100% want a stone quiet god drat room and I can ensure that more at home, so i mostly don't go to the movies.

I'm also poor, and piracy is cheaper than tickets

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

Yeah I can go to some nice ones, and for dune part 2 i probably am gonna.

i just hate going to theaters as a general thing. I don't trade in giant purses, so food smuggling isn't an option and i'm not paying for theater food; but I usually do end up wanting a snack. If it's busy, I am old enough to be a loving grandma about disliking rowdy audiences for movies like this (it's fine for comedies or 'stupid' movies, but this is a movie where i would 100% want a stone quiet god drat room and I can ensure that more at home, so i mostly don't go to the movies.

I'm also poor, and piracy is cheaper than tickets

For sure, the audience reaction is both the benefit and drawback of public film viewing. In the right circumstances it can elevate the material to impossible heights, and in others it can spoil the vibe. Seeing Fury Road opening night in a full house is pretty much my movie theater moment to beat, everyone was laughing and gasping in exhaustion and it fully loving worked. But I'm glad I caught Melancholia and mother! in auditoriums that were nearly empty.

If you're ever down in pdx drop me a PM. I work at multiple indie theaters there, might be able to save you ticket price or at least throw you some free corn. And fwiw I do not give a gently caress what food you bring in with you. :devil:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I love smuggling food into theatres. I get a sick thrill from telling the Man to go shove it while destroying a Twix, which is the best candy btw glad we're all in agreement thanks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love buying the food in a movie theater. Is it overpriced? Grossly.

But it's so good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I let people bring in drat near anything. Occasionally that will bite me in the rear end because someone will be eating chinese buffet, stinking up the theater and causing smell or noise complaints, and then they'll just leave the trash everywhere because it's ingrained into the minds of many americans that when they bought a ticket they also bought the temporary serfdom of the employees on site. But honestly, that's such a minority, audiences in this town loving rule and consistently turn up to support indie cinema even in the hardest of times. So many people here work in service that they really do seem to understand our plight, and I am grateful, and I love them!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New trailer looked sick. I hope that most of the Fremen scenes have them speaking more Arabic.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

I like the Baron floating around lazily with whatever these balls do while his whole army holds their arms above their head

Those are his suspensors. But then I guess it kinda seemed like in Dunc 1 he has a suspensor belt instead?

Arc Hammer posted:

New trailer looked sick. I hope that most of the Fremen scenes have them speaking more Arabic.

https://twitter.com/hdernity/status/1674805154799841280

This dude is a super good follow for Dune stuff and has written a bunch of Arabic and Islam as they appear in Dune.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kalel posted:

I love smuggling food into theatres. I get a sick thrill from telling the Man to go shove it while destroying a Twix, which is the best candy btw glad we're all in agreement thanks

It’s neck and neck with kitkat for me but both are fantastic

In my younger days my friend had some ww2 greatcoat that could smuggle so much stuff into a theatre, it ruled.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Me and a spoon and my ripest durian enjoying the newest available cinemagic

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Me and a spoon and my ripest durian enjoying the newest available cinemagic

lmao nearly choked to death on my dinner reading this thanks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
this waterfat offworlder eatin beans!!!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

For sure, the audience reaction is both the benefit and drawback of public film viewing. In the right circumstances it can elevate the material to impossible heights, and in others it can spoil the vibe.

It can also make awful movies more memorable and entertaining. I saw Alien Covenant in theatres, and it was such dogshit that the entire audience was laughing. In the scene where David is very obviously trying to lure Billy Crudup into a trap to get facehugged, some young dude a few rows of me loudly exclaimed "Yo, this guy's fuckin' STOOOPID." And I'll never forget that.

kalel posted:

Same but booze. All the theatres around here sell extremely overpriced tallcans that you can take into the theatre, but it's like the easiest place to smuggle anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Speaker posted:

It can also make awful movies more memorable and entertaining. I saw Alien Covenant in theatres, and it was such dogshit that the entire audience was laughing. In the scene where David is very obviously trying to lure Billy Crudup into a trap to get facehugged, some young dude a few rows of me loudly exclaimed "Yo, this guy's fuckin' STOOOPID." And I'll never forget that.

I remember seeing No Country for Old Men in the theatre and after Tommy Lee Jones’ final monologue there was a beat of silence and then some wag yelled “what the gently caress??” Lmao

I don’t think the movie deserved that (it is a stone cold classic) but it was still pretty entertaining

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Mister Speaker posted:

It can also make awful movies more memorable and entertaining. I saw Alien Covenant in theatres, and it was such dogshit that the entire audience was laughing.

I think I was the only person laughing at the showing I went to, but I don't regret it.

Also do you remember the shot where they show the schematic of the title spaceship on a monitor in the background while Michael Fassbender is in the foreground? That's before even showing the actual ship itself, so in the context of the scene it just looks like they're showing a crude drawing of a penis for no clear reason.

I know I saw that in the theatrical version, but I think they removed it and almost all the other shots that clearly show the spaceship (and how much it looks like a cartoon cock and balls) from the home video version, which I only watched to find and screenshot those exact shots for obvious reasons.

It's honestly kind of insane how obscure the fact is that the Covenant looks like a massive space dong.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

fuel is stored in the balls

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Seeing Fury Road opening night in a full house is pretty much my movie theater moment to beat, everyone was laughing and gasping in exhaustion and it fully loving worked.

This was Dark Knight for me, coolest goddamn experience I've ever had in a theater.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly with a packed theatre fulla nerds was great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Same but booze. All the theatres around here sell extremely overpriced tallcans that you can take into the theatre, but it's like the easiest place to smuggle anything.

Now this otoh is a thing that can really get theater workers in trouble, just letting you know. Around these parts the Liquor Commission is extremely aggro. Same would apply to taking outside booze into bars, it can get you blacklisted but it can also gently caress over someone's license.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Now this otoh is a thing that can really get theater workers in trouble, just letting you know. Around these parts the Liquor Commission is extremely aggro. Same would apply to taking outside booze into bars, it can get you blacklisted but it can also gently caress over someone's license.

I hadn't really thought of that and now I feel like a jerk; it's a very good point. I will keep this in mind next time I'm going to a repertory theatre, thanks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this? why sir I always drink water out of a flask

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

kiimo posted:

edit: also his ship looks like an angry toad or beetle or something

This reminds me a LOT of the concept art Geiger did for Jodorowsky.

kiimo posted:

Remember that still of Jessica in her bug carrying thing? Looks like really leaning into the whole ornithopter is based off a bug motif throughout the films.

edit 2:

talking about this

There is a quote in one of the books about a Reverend Mother travelling on a worm in a palanquin and that's what this is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jewmanji posted:

This dude is a super good follow for Dune stuff and has written a bunch of Arabic and Islam as they appear in Dune.

That's a good read, thanks.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jewmanji posted:

Hopefully this didn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Denis might have clout with the studios now, but he’s not gonna show overt references to a Jihad against white people in an American movie. The pure Dune some people want will never come out of an American studio in 2023.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Might be changed for theatrical, but no way would they generate that talking point in a trailer

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It goes deeper than usage of the word Jihad. It extends to the casting, score, the rest of the conlag. I agree it would be borderline malfeasance for the studio to put “jihad” in there, but it’s much harder to justify all the other issues that wouldn’t cause a stir with anyone.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I saw Silence of the Lambs in the theater during the "I would gently caress me" scene when he tucks his dick and dances the theater was stone cold silent and some like 13 year old girl broke the silence when she said loudly "Where is it?"

And the whole theater erupted in laughter, it snapped the trance of everyone in the theater with perfect comic timing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I saw 300 on opening weekend at some gigantic theater in midtown Manhattan. At some point in the movie, two guys in the very front stood up and started punching each other very aggressively in the face, seemingly over a girl that they were feuding over, who happened to be sitting in between them. I think most of the audience was drunk but the entire crowd started whooping and hollering and was absolutely primed by the movie for what became a pretty cool welterweight fight. People were shouting "kill him!!!!" and stuff, it was wild.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha one last one I saw Jackass in a packed college town theater and someone lost control of a beer bottle and it loudly rolled all the way down the theater making a huge amount of noise the whole way down until it reached the wall at the bottom where it exploded and everyone laughed. That was an absolute blast to watch in the theater with a bunch of drunk underage college kids

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back at an El Rey in Chico, CA after a lot of :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejrJU2VRtI

I was honestly convinced that Kevin Smith had shot a different ending :tinfoil:for every movie theatre in America:tinfoil: My mind was blown trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

:ssh: google wasnt on phones then I didn't know it was a fairly prominent movie chain

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Vampire Panties posted:

I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back at an El Rey in Chico, CA after a lot of :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejrJU2VRtI

I was honestly convinced that Kevin Smith had shot a different ending :tinfoil:for every movie theatre in America:tinfoil: My mind was blown trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

:ssh: google wasnt on phones then I didn't know it was a fairly prominent movie chain

The first time I got seriously blasted on :350: was the first time I watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it was the first moonenites episode. My mind was blasted to smithereens on that dorm room floor, and it's all been downhill since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Like 3 years ago I told ya'll they would whitewash this pos movie and just call it "glorious crusade", possibly for democracy and the american way, instead of jihad :rolleyes: